HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2012 Stanley Cup Final - Los Angeles Kings vs. New Jersey Devils

Old
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Can someone post a recap of the DL interview?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Can someone post a recap of the DL interview?
i missed the 1st part but what i listened to was just a rehash of the season and what has made them successful.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
billingtons ghost

Not sure if you guys want to start a separate thread on this -

I was reading all of the 'experts' articles and got to thinking: I've watched 90+ Devils games this season, and spent countless hours discussing and dissecting this team. I am a freaking expert - not these clowns.

Are there any Kings fans over here that could fill me in on the who and why your team has been so dominant in the playoffs? I've only seen two or three Kings games so I cannot be some clown that says 'Devils in 6' or whatever - I was just wondering if someone could post the strengths/weaknesses of your team and give some insight.

Thanks.

For the my part:
The Devils bought into DeBoer's attack style defense. They have an ultra-aggressive forecheck which is something I haven't seen in 18 years. They added big bodies to the lower lines so that they can roll all 4, hit opposing defensemen and get turnovers. Their main strength is winning board battles with Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Zajac, Bernier, Clarkson, and Carter all very strong on the puck.

Kovy has been dinged, some say bulging disk, so he disappears for games at a time and can be a turnover machine. He also has a ridiculous shot on the PP. Parise picks up scraps around the net. Elias has been invisible and is likely hurting. Henrique/Zajac are our best and most dangerous forwards. Josefson was slated to be our #2 center but has been out most of the season, so he's fresh and can make plays.

The backline is pedestrian - but Fayne is our best - quick and strong. Zidlicky is amazing - either making a fantastic pass or an egregious turnover. Greene will turn the puck over if banged around. Salvador is solid defensively. Volchenkov is slow, but hits and blocks shots. Harrold has decent wheels and skills but is our 6th Dman and may likely get replaced by Tallinder or Larsson.

Marty may give up a softie every other game, but he's been lights-out when it counts and has made some great saves. A shadow of his former self, but he hasn't had to be great, just very good.

We'll be able to see how this series goes in the first few minutes. If the Devils get the forecheck rolling, I don't see how the Kings win. If the Kings get the forecheck going, I don't see how the Devils win.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
We'll be able to see how this series goes in the first few minutes. If the Devils get the forecheck rolling, I don't see how the Kings win. If the Kings get the forecheck going, I don't see how the Devils win.
I don't know, considering the ebb and flow of momentum. I would expect both teams to "get the forecheck rolling" at some point in every game. Not sure why the first few minutes would tell such a story.

Hell, we may find that whoever has the forecheck rolling in the last few minutes will be the winner!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

I was reading all of the 'experts' articles and got to thinking: I've watched 90+ Devils games this season, and spent countless hours discussing and dissecting this team. I am a freaking expert - not these clowns.

Are there any Kings fans over here that could fill me in on the who and why your team has been so dominant in the playoffs? I've only seen two or three Kings games so I cannot be some clown that says 'Devils in 6' or whatever - I was just wondering if someone could post the strengths/weaknesses of your team and give some insight.
It is really simple actually. Prior to Darryl Sutter and the trade deadline, the Kings were a top 5 defensive team. Jonathan Quick stood on his head most nights only to win or lose countless games 1-0 or 2-1. Then Sutter comes in. He demands more from Kopitar and Brown. They start to play better. Enter Jeff Carter and now the Kings have two legitimate scoring lines. The Kings forecheck is much more aggressive under Darryl Sutter and they are scoring more goals because of it. Quick and the defense continue to play well going into the playoffs.

In the playoffs, the Kings defense, goaltending and forecheck is firing on all cylinders. They are getting score from 1st to 4th line. I believe every forward on the Kings has scored a goal in the playoffs except Fraser. Every forward has at least a point. Teams are having trouble matching up against Kopitar and Richards. When they seem to be able to stifle one, the other takes off. We've seen it in all three series so far.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Right.. the sane ones would have waxed on about how Bryzgalov is not the answer in goal and their D was a hot mess without Pronger.

I do think the Devils will be a tough team. Certainly as tough a match-up as the Kings have had so far given they're healthy (particularly if Tallinder comes back for the Finals) and have some real scoring threats.

The Devils will have their hands full with the Kings as well. I've linked to those possession charts JFTC came up with during each series because they tell the story - it's really, really hard to shut down 3 scoring lines, and I'll take the Kings D over the Devils D any day of the week.

Some line matching observations and predictions:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...hing-nj-devils
While waiting been reading here every day and this is the first one that really has something clever to say. ..long way from the pissing contest.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:

kings fowards are tenacious in all 3 zones
kings defense push play to the outside, they also make quick smart passes which leads to fast transition.
quick has been good when he has to.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Perro

How awesome would it be if Brown laid out Kovalchuk alla Sedin?

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
How awesome would it be if Brown laid out Kovalchuk alla Sedin?
Probably not going to happen but I can see Kovalchuk misplaying a puck at the point and Mike Richards scoring a short-handed break away.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Probably not going to happen but I can see Kovalchuk misplaying a puck at the point and Mike Richards scoring a short-handed break away.
I can see that as well, not just with Richards but you could insert brown, kopitar, carter or stoll all in there as well.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/05/29...-fantasy-land/

Pretty funny how now everyone's saying their a Kings fan eh? Al Michaels is a supposed LA Kings season ticketholder

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/05/29...-fantasy-land/

Pretty funny how now everyone's saying their a Kings fan eh? Al Michaels is a supposed LA Kings season ticketholder
what do you mean "supposed"? It's well known he's been a Kings STH for years.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
what do you mean "supposed"? It's well known he's been a Kings STH for years.
Yep.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Damn, my bad. I didn't even know that

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
maplepred

Predators fan here,

Go win the cup boys!! I'm cheering for you guys large and proud, rockin my kings Gretzky jersey every game! You guys deserve this love your team. Cheers!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Perro

27 hrs!!!

Old
05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Damn, my bad. I didn't even know that
Dan Patrick, on the other hand, is a total bandwagoner

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:21 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
It is really simple actually. Prior to Darryl Sutter and the trade deadline, the Kings were a top 5 defensive team. Jonathan Quick stood on his head most nights only to win or lose countless games 1-0 or 2-1. Then Sutter comes in. He demands more from Kopitar and Brown. They start to play better. Enter Jeff Carter and now the Kings have two legitimate scoring lines. The Kings forecheck is much more aggressive under Darryl Sutter and they are scoring more goals because of it. Quick and the defense continue to play well going into the playoffs.

In the playoffs, the Kings defense, goaltending and forecheck is firing on all cylinders. They are getting score from 1st to 4th line. I believe every forward on the Kings has scored a goal in the playoffs except Fraser. Every forward has at least a point. Teams are having trouble matching up against Kopitar and Richards. When they seem to be able to stifle one, the other takes off. We've seen it in all three series so far.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:22 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

I'm getting really tired of people saying that the Kings haven't faced any adversity. Some are acting like this is a 1 seed that rolled through a bunch of low seeds instead of the exact opposite.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I don't know, considering the ebb and flow of momentum. I would expect both teams to "get the forecheck rolling" at some point in every game. Not sure why the first few minutes would tell such a story.

Hell, we may find that whoever has the forecheck rolling in the last few minutes will be the winner!
Thus far this playoff season, there hasn't been too much ebb in flow in the Devils games. They won about 15 of 20 periods in the Rangers series, and probably 15 of 15 in the Flyers series - at least 5-on-5. There were times when it seemed the puck didn't cross the red line for an entire period. Ironically, the Panthers were our toughest test because they had strong Dmen and could get the puck out.

I expect a tough series, and I don't expect some team to wilt - but I'm just saying it should be pretty apparent by the end of the first period if one team can consistently impose its will or not, and whether it is going to go 7 games.

Best of luck - Hope you guys are first losers.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Thus far this playoff season, there hasn't been too much ebb in flow in the Devils games. They won about 15 of 20 periods in the Rangers series, and probably 15 of 15 in the Flyers series - at least 5-on-5. There were times when it seemed the puck didn't cross the red line for an entire period. Ironically, the Panthers were our toughest test because they had strong Dmen and could get the puck out.

I expect a tough series, and I don't expect some team to wilt - but I'm just saying it should be pretty apparent by the end of the first period if one team can consistently impose its will or not, and whether it is going to go 7 games.

Best of luck - Hope you guys are first losers.
One of the biggest things that has has the Kings rolling this playoffs is the breakout. Most of the time, regardless of the other team's forecheck (the Blues especially play an aggressive forecheck), they've always managed to move the puck out of the zone well. Up the boards and then a short pass to the middle to a forward moving with speed out of the zone has been their SOP for getting out of the zone and it's worked extremely well.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
One of the biggest things that has has the Kings rolling this playoffs is the breakout. Most of the time, regardless of the other team's forecheck (the Blues especially play an aggressive forecheck), they've always managed to move the puck out of the zone well. Up the boards and then a short pass to the middle to a forward moving with speed out of the zone has been their SOP for getting out of the zone and it's worked extremely well.
The only time they struggled is the last game of the Phoenix series...but Phoenix had to open up their system to allow themselves to disrupt the forecheck with any real effectiveness. and it wound up being a back and forth game with lots of open ice. Not really a Phoenix or LA type game.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
One of the biggest things that has has the Kings rolling this playoffs is the breakout.
Drew Doughty and to a lesser extent, Voynov and Martinez is what makes this happen. The pairing of one PMD and one stay at home defenseman, which has been the philosophy of this team's structure, pays off in spades.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
MadDevil

Another Devils fan here wandering into enemy territory before the bullets start flying. Hoping for a really good, hard fought series between these two teams. I'm confident in the Devils, but I'd be lying if I said the Kings didn't scare me. Their playing style a mirror image of the Devils, but with a better defense and more consistent goaltending.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I'm getting really tired of people saying that the Kings haven't faced any adversity. Some are acting like this is a 1 seed that rolled through a bunch of low seeds instead of the exact opposite.
I think we're all getting tired of the talk. Just get to playing the games and then we'll find out which is the better team.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote