HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Signing College Players?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
dustinbrownfan

vCash: 500
Signing College Players?

When can college players start getting signed by professional teams?
How soon?

Old
03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinBrownFan
When can college players start getting signed by professional teams?
How soon?
As soon as their college seasons are over. Typically they sign an ATO with the AHL affiliate and follow it up with an NHL contract in the offseason...

Old
03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
dustinbrownfan

So could Scott Parse sign with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?

Last edited by dustinbrownfan: 03-29-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old
03-26-2006, 05:52 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
So could Scott Parse sigh with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?
Yes...

Old
03-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
So could Scott Parse sigh with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?
However, Parse and Boyle are Juniors. There is probably a 50/50 chance of either of them signing, thus foregoing their senior seasons.

Old
03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd be surprised if Boyle wasn't signed before his senior season.

Bill Thomas, Scott Parse's linemate and the second leading scorer at UNO, was just signed by the Phoenix Coyotes so Parse might be it a little more inclined to go pro now.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:16 PM
mavking

Parse Count Down To Signing

To bad LA couldn't sign Parse and Thomas together since Thomas was a free agent

Old
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV23FAN
To bad LA couldn't sign Parse and Thomas together since Thomas was a free agent
Would have been nice but Thomas reportedly got a very nice deal.
Quote:
Financial terms have not been disclosed. KETV NewsWatch 7 has learned it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a $900,000 deal for next year, which will be prorated over the final 11 games for Phoenix.
Hopefully, this doesn't become a potential Aaron Rome situation (with regards to Parse).

MAVFAN23, have you heard anything about a Parse's injury? He was slow getting up from a hit in the BU game, and someone on the USCHO boards (in the Thomas signing thread) mentioned he may have a separated shoulder. Let us know if you hear anything.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
mavking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
MAVFAN23, have you heard anything about a Parse's injury? He was slow getting up from a hit in the BU game, and someone on the USCHO boards (in the Thomas signing thread) mentioned he may have a separated shoulder. Let us know if you hear anything.
sounds like a separated shoulder from about 6 games ago that was reinjured in the NCAA Tourney. Could explain the slump in points.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...24_onemore.php

Old
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Technically, a college player can sign at any point in the season/year. They just leave their college and sign whenever they want, whether it is October 1, January 1 or May 1. There is no prohibition from leaving their team and signing whenever they want. However, the vast majority of them do extend the courtesy to their team and finish their college season before signing.

03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would have been nice but Thomas reportedly got a very nice deal. Hopefully, this doesn't become a potential Aaron Rome situation (with regards to Parse).

That is just awful management by Phoenix. Why does it not surprise me that they give a free agent college prospect close to $1M? They're giving him first round draft pick money.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
That is just awful management by Phoenix. Why does it not surprise me that they give a free agent college prospect close to $1M? They're giving him first round draft pick money.
When he gets shipped to the AHL, he'll be making about $75k or less...

Old
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
mavking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
why shouldn't he get first round money if he has put up better numbers than 80 percent of the first rounders the past 2 years?

Old
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Osprey

Quote:
why shouldn't he get first round money if he has put up better numbers than 80 percent of the first rounders the past 2 years?
Possibly because 1st-rounders catch people's eyes at the age of 17, not 22 (Thomas turns 23 in a few months).

Old
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
There have been MANY college scorers who haven't amounted to much in the pro level. Observe the list of Hobey Baker winners...

Old
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
ukyo

For what it's worth, Matt Carle (who I thought would do a lot better in Hobey Baker voting) was signed by the Sharks just the other day and on Monday scored his first NHL goal.

Old
03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
mavking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Possibly because 1st-rounders catch people's eyes at the age of 17, not 22 (Thomas turns 23 in a few months).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a 17 or 18 year old is drafted the scouts are guessing on what that player's ability will be like in 3-4 years, since very few are signed and go right to the NHL. When a team drafts that player in the first round they usually believe he is the best player avalible to them and also if they pass now he won't be there for their second round pick. The scouts make their living on fortune telling and the teams don't have to put out any money yet. Now you take a 22 or 23 year old who is a free agent and he looks like he can play in the NHL and you want him, you have to make him an offer he will take before someone else does because you don't have the luxuary of drafting him without signing him and holding his rights for a couple years. Also just because a player was a first round draft pick doesn't mean he will get signed let alone the big buck bonus. I know the projections are usually right on but sometimes one will slip thru and sometimes one will go bust. Bill Thomas took his best offer!
As for Parse the Kings should treat him like a first round pick with a contract to match.

Old
03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a 17 or 18 year old is drafted the scouts are guessing on what that player's ability will be like in 3-4 years, since very few are signed and go right to the NHL. When a team drafts that player in the first round they usually believe he is the best player avalible to them and also if they pass now he won't be there for their second round pick. The scouts make their living on fortune telling and the teams don't have to put out any money yet. Now you take a 22 or 23 year old who is a free agent and he looks like he can play in the NHL and you want him, you have to make him an offer he will take before someone else does because you don't have the luxuary of drafting him without signing him and holding his rights for a couple years. Also just because a player was a first round draft pick doesn't mean he will get signed let alone the big buck bonus. I know the projections are usually right on but sometimes one will slip thru and sometimes one will go bust. Bill Thomas took his best offer!
As for Parse the Kings should treat him like a first round pick with a contract to match.
It's a mtter of production versus potential. You are making an argument that Thomas/Parse's production is equivalent to or even better than most 1st rounders. Yes and no.

Most first rounders, at the age of 22 or 23, are doing it in the AHL/NHL and not college. If we are talking just production, we might as well start signing everyone out of the BCHL because at 120 points per season, damn their productive! College is not the AHL. It's not even major juniors.

But that is just the production side of it. Even, arguendo, I gave you that Thomas/Parse have produced equivalent to other first rounders playing in college, there is the matter of potential. Given, potential is a fickle creature and difficult to identify. But Thomas going undrafted and Parse going in mid-low rounds usually translates to limited potential. Both probably have a lot of aspects of their game to work on to make it to and star in the NHL.

Potential, wrongly or rightly, is what teams typically throw a lot of money at. Parse, while a great player and I wish him the best, does not have high-end potential like first rounders do. For that, I would not offer him first round money. I would offer him a contract commensurate with his current potential and his accomplishments to date, whatever that is. I'm not sure it is $1M/year though.

Old
03-29-2006, 11:15 AM
mavking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
"I would offer him a contract commensurate with his current potential and his accomplishments to date, whatever that is."
Totally Agree!

Closed Thread