HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Signing College Players?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
  #1
dustinbrownfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Signing College Players?

When can college players start getting signed by professional teams?
How soon?

dustinbrownfan is offline  
Old
03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
  #2
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinBrownFan
When can college players start getting signed by professional teams?
How soon?
As soon as their college seasons are over. Typically they sign an ATO with the AHL affiliate and follow it up with an NHL contract in the offseason...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
  #3
dustinbrownfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
So could Scott Parse sign with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?


Last edited by dustinbrownfan: 03-29-2006 at 02:54 PM.
dustinbrownfan is offline  
Old
03-26-2006, 05:52 PM
  #4
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinBrownFan
So could Scott Parse sigh with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?
Yes...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:16 AM
  #5
Peter James Bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinBrownFan
So could Scott Parse sigh with the Manchester Monarchs now, since his team has already been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament?
However, Parse and Boyle are Juniors. There is probably a 50/50 chance of either of them signing, thus foregoing their senior seasons.

Peter James Bond is online now  
Old
03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
  #6
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
I'd be surprised if Boyle wasn't signed before his senior season.

Bill Thomas, Scott Parse's linemate and the second leading scorer at UNO, was just signed by the Phoenix Coyotes so Parse might be it a little more inclined to go pro now.

Sam is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 04:16 PM
  #7
mavking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Natural Ice
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Parse Count Down To Signing

To bad LA couldn't sign Parse and Thomas together since Thomas was a free agent

mavking is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
  #8
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV23FAN
To bad LA couldn't sign Parse and Thomas together since Thomas was a free agent
Would have been nice but Thomas reportedly got a very nice deal.
Quote:
Financial terms have not been disclosed. KETV NewsWatch 7 has learned it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a $900,000 deal for next year, which will be prorated over the final 11 games for Phoenix.
Hopefully, this doesn't become a potential Aaron Rome situation (with regards to Parse).

MAVFAN23, have you heard anything about a Parse's injury? He was slow getting up from a hit in the BU game, and someone on the USCHO boards (in the Thomas signing thread) mentioned he may have a separated shoulder. Let us know if you hear anything.

Sam is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
  #9
mavking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Natural Ice
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
MAVFAN23, have you heard anything about a Parse's injury? He was slow getting up from a hit in the BU game, and someone on the USCHO boards (in the Thomas signing thread) mentioned he may have a separated shoulder. Let us know if you hear anything.
sounds like a separated shoulder from about 6 games ago that was reinjured in the NCAA Tourney. Could explain the slump in points.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...24_onemore.php

mavking is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
  #10
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Technically, a college player can sign at any point in the season/year. They just leave their college and sign whenever they want, whether it is October 1, January 1 or May 1. There is no prohibition from leaving their team and signing whenever they want. However, the vast majority of them do extend the courtesy to their team and finish their college season before signing.

__________________
Saxon Sports Information and Research
David A. Rainer is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
  #11
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 28,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would have been nice but Thomas reportedly got a very nice deal. Hopefully, this doesn't become a potential Aaron Rome situation (with regards to Parse).

MAVFAN23, have you heard anything about a Parse's injury? He was slow getting up from a hit in the BU game, and someone on the USCHO boards (in the Thomas signing thread) mentioned he may have a separated shoulder. Let us know if you hear anything.
That is just awful management by Phoenix. Why does it not surprise me that they give a free agent college prospect close to $1M? They're giving him first round draft pick money.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
  #12
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
That is just awful management by Phoenix. Why does it not surprise me that they give a free agent college prospect close to $1M? They're giving him first round draft pick money.
When he gets shipped to the AHL, he'll be making about $75k or less...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
  #13
mavking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Natural Ice
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
That is just awful management by Phoenix. Why does it not surprise me that they give a free agent college prospect close to $1M? They're giving him first round draft pick money.
why shouldn't he get first round money if he has put up better numbers than 80 percent of the first rounders the past 2 years?

mavking is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
  #14
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV23FAN
why shouldn't he get first round money if he has put up better numbers than 80 percent of the first rounders the past 2 years?
Possibly because 1st-rounders catch people's eyes at the age of 17, not 22 (Thomas turns 23 in a few months).

Osprey is offline  
Old
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
  #15
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 28,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV23FAN
why shouldn't he get first round money if he has put up better numbers than 80 percent of the first rounders the past 2 years?
There have been MANY college scorers who haven't amounted to much in the pro level. Observe the list of Hobey Baker winners...

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
  #16
ukyo
Registered User
 
ukyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
For what it's worth, Matt Carle (who I thought would do a lot better in Hobey Baker voting) was signed by the Sharks just the other day and on Monday scored his first NHL goal.

ukyo is offline  
Old
03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
  #17
mavking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Natural Ice
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Possibly because 1st-rounders catch people's eyes at the age of 17, not 22 (Thomas turns 23 in a few months).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a 17 or 18 year old is drafted the scouts are guessing on what that player's ability will be like in 3-4 years, since very few are signed and go right to the NHL. When a team drafts that player in the first round they usually believe he is the best player avalible to them and also if they pass now he won't be there for their second round pick. The scouts make their living on fortune telling and the teams don't have to put out any money yet. Now you take a 22 or 23 year old who is a free agent and he looks like he can play in the NHL and you want him, you have to make him an offer he will take before someone else does because you don't have the luxuary of drafting him without signing him and holding his rights for a couple years. Also just because a player was a first round draft pick doesn't mean he will get signed let alone the big buck bonus. I know the projections are usually right on but sometimes one will slip thru and sometimes one will go bust. Bill Thomas took his best offer!
As for Parse the Kings should treat him like a first round pick with a contract to match.

mavking is offline  
Old
03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
  #18
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV23FAN
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a 17 or 18 year old is drafted the scouts are guessing on what that player's ability will be like in 3-4 years, since very few are signed and go right to the NHL. When a team drafts that player in the first round they usually believe he is the best player avalible to them and also if they pass now he won't be there for their second round pick. The scouts make their living on fortune telling and the teams don't have to put out any money yet. Now you take a 22 or 23 year old who is a free agent and he looks like he can play in the NHL and you want him, you have to make him an offer he will take before someone else does because you don't have the luxuary of drafting him without signing him and holding his rights for a couple years. Also just because a player was a first round draft pick doesn't mean he will get signed let alone the big buck bonus. I know the projections are usually right on but sometimes one will slip thru and sometimes one will go bust. Bill Thomas took his best offer!
As for Parse the Kings should treat him like a first round pick with a contract to match.
It's a mtter of production versus potential. You are making an argument that Thomas/Parse's production is equivalent to or even better than most 1st rounders. Yes and no.

Most first rounders, at the age of 22 or 23, are doing it in the AHL/NHL and not college. If we are talking just production, we might as well start signing everyone out of the BCHL because at 120 points per season, damn their productive! College is not the AHL. It's not even major juniors.

But that is just the production side of it. Even, arguendo, I gave you that Thomas/Parse have produced equivalent to other first rounders playing in college, there is the matter of potential. Given, potential is a fickle creature and difficult to identify. But Thomas going undrafted and Parse going in mid-low rounds usually translates to limited potential. Both probably have a lot of aspects of their game to work on to make it to and star in the NHL.

Potential, wrongly or rightly, is what teams typically throw a lot of money at. Parse, while a great player and I wish him the best, does not have high-end potential like first rounders do. For that, I would not offer him first round money. I would offer him a contract commensurate with his current potential and his accomplishments to date, whatever that is. I'm not sure it is $1M/year though.

David A. Rainer is offline  
Old
03-29-2006, 11:15 AM
  #19
mavking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Natural Ice
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
"I would offer him a contract commensurate with his current potential and his accomplishments to date, whatever that is."
Totally Agree!

mavking is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.