HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella should let Leetch give Rangers Brian power

Old
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
I personally don't see Leetch being a good bench coach. Not assertive enough. He was always a quiet lead-by-example guy.

That being said, I'm sure he's already given pearls of wisdom to guys like Del Zotto and McDonagh. He's around them, no doubt they've seeked him out and picked his brain.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I'm not too sure if Leetch would fix much of anything. I have no idea how he would be as a coach. The only frame of reference to being close to a coach is being a captain(not much comparison, I know).

He wasn't a very good captain. Honestly, he didn't even want that job.

Personally, I think just having a shooting threat from the points would help our PP ten fold. Enemy Pkers wouldn't be able to cheat as much and they would open the middle more. Allowing our PPQB's to make lateral passes.

The thing that really annoyed me this season with the PP. The Rangers do not like to shift on the PP and want to remain stationary. Well the Umbrella allows stationary positioning, not much shifting involved. I do not understand why Torts never utilized it fully. Was it because we don't like shooting one timers or taking any high shots? Was it that the Umbrella can make you more vulnerable to the counter attack?

We ran most of the season with the Shooting PP, but without a Cannon from the point its a terrible strategy. We don't have enough skill from our forwards in the corners to run an Overload. Yet, in the playoffs that is what we were running quite a bit.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Good players don't always make good coaches. In fact, many times the best players make the worst coaches. A guy like Leetch, who had a natural sense for the game like few others, may not be able to teach those instincts to others or convey the X's and O's necessary to the role.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Good players don't always make good coaches. In fact, many times the best players make the worst coaches. A guy like Leetch, who had a natural sense for the game like few others, may not be able to teach those instincts to others or convey the X's and O's necessary to the role.
I agree with what you're saying, but is this an Xs and Os struggle? To me, a top notch PP needs a creative playmaker (can be a winger or center) who can manage the side boards and a cannon from the point (who can fire with velocity and get the puck through to the net). I think Stepan can be the forward, but the latter is lacking.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Dactyl

alright larry id give him a shot at it

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Sign Schultz and bring in Leetch to run the Power Play?

Sounds like a recipe for success.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Sign Schultz and bring in Leetch to run the Power Play?

Sounds like a recipe for success.
I can only imagine:

Leetch with a blowhorn: "Thats right Del Z drive to the outside corner, now do a spin o rama."

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Someone here said that Sullivan wasn't actually running the powerplay the other day. Brooks seems to think he was. By his own admission, Torts is not an x-and-o's kind of coach, so if Sullivan was only running the defense and the PK (like this poster claimed the other day), then who was running the PP? Has Perry Pearn been secretly still under contract with the Rangers? That would explain a lot.
Sullivan runs the pp. Schoenfeld is in charge of the pk during practices.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
egelband

as for the power play, i think it will improve as the team develops. i think that the offense as a whole will evolve as the players mature. i would like to see them allow their best skaters, like mcdonagh and kreider, lug the puck a bit more. i think they dump-and-chase cuz they're super-afraid of neutral-ice turnovers. which is fine. but there are some players who can consistently gain the zone with control. the team just needs to trust those guys a bit more. it will happen, i think. just need to give them a bit of time.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote