HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Market For Bernier

Old
05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Perro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Be prepared for something along the lines of $6.9 million then.

Quick is a UFA to be and a Vezina finalist in a year where the other two Vezina finalists are making a cap hit of $6.8 and $7 million each (or about to in Rinne's case). Additionally, I can't imagine the backlash should we win the cup and then see Quick walk one year later. There will be immense pressure on AEG to keep the two faces of the cup run (Quick and Brown) long term and if we don't, it could cause a falling out. Quick holds far to many chips in this negotiation and it'll only get worse if he gets any/all of the Vezina, Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup. As a fan, I'd be ecstatic, but so will his agent.

I think people need to stop thinking "home town discount" so much and focus more on "what would his agent/Quick want/be able to get." I'm not sure what you think a hometown discount is, but even if the market value for Quick was $7 million, which the argument can be made for, and even if he took a 10% discount, that'd still be $6.3 million. And 10% is a big discount.
I stil would like our starting tender to be less than 6mil.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I'd like every player on the team to be under $4 million. It won't happen and I don't see why Quick takes less than $6.3 million or so barring an injury or something.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
if he wins the cup and the Conn Smythe, expect at least 7mill as a reward for being the only reason the Kings made the playoffs. There is no reason why he shouldn't be paid more than Kopitar and Doughty in that case

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
if he wins the cup and the Conn Smythe, expect at least 7mill as a reward for being the only reason the Kings made the playoffs. There is no reason why he shouldn't be paid more than Kopitar and Doughty in that case
I fully realize that he likely won't be had for < 6 mil. If he does get the kind of money you're talking about hopefully it is on a short term.

Wonder what we could get from Pheonix for Bernier. I imagine they will be looking for a goalie come deadline as I imagine that's when the team will tire of Smith. Such a hot head. Can't be godo for the lockerroom.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quick will rightfully be demanding a contract similar to Rinne's. Kings are looking at a hit around 7 million, and he will be worth every penny. There should be no mysteries in this negotiation unless Quick doesn't want to be in LA or is adamant about testing UFA.

I also believe the 2013 draft projects to be better than 2012, and unless the Kings return to the finals, our pick projects to be much better. Makes no sense for Columbus to take this years pick. If there is a player they like at 29 or 30 they are better off trading up than forfeiting a better pick in a better draft.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:49 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

I also believe the 2013 draft projects to be better than 2012, and unless the Kings return to the finals, our pick projects to be much better. Makes no sense for Columbus to take this years pick. If there is a player they like at 29 or 30 they are better off trading up than forfeiting a better pick in a better draft.
I agree. However, I also think it makes no sense for Columbus to free us up to use that pick until the very last minute. If I'm Columbus, I'm not telling LA one way or the other until the 27th pick, or whenever the last minute is to decide. Why free up LA to make a move if they don't have to?

If Columbus really likes someone and LA happens to like the same player, it's clearly an advantage to be able to try and trade up to get that player while preventing LA from being able to do the same.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Perro

Quote:
I agree. However, I also think it makes no sense for Columbus to free us up to use that pick until the very last minute. If I'm Columbus, I'm not telling LA one way or the other until the 27th pick, or whenever the last minute is to decide. Why free up LA to make a move if they don't have to?

If Columbus really likes someone and LA happens to like the same player, it's clearly an advantage to be able to try and trade up to get that player while preventing LA from being able to do the same.
I agree here, also it is liekly that no matter what that pick will be the 29th as the devil's will forfit their pick this year (punnishment from the Kovalchuk contract)

Old
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

My ideal deal for Bernier would be similar to the 1 for Varlomov, something like to Tampa for 2013 1st + 2nd, or maybe to Columbus Bernier + mid prospect for '13 1st

Old
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
My ideal deal for Bernier would be similar to the 1 for Varlomov, something like to Tampa for 2013 1st + 2nd, or maybe to Columbus Bernier + mid prospect for '13 1st
That would be ideal, but very unlikely as most people feel that Colorodo overpaid there as well.
If we could get columbus's 2013 1st that would be huge as it is likely going to be a lottery pick.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

For Bernier I would give up 19th overall pick and Mikkelson/Lee

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
kinghock

Bernier was 11th pick and Tampa is in desperate goalie situation.
We should be able to get their 10th pick.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
KingCanadain1976

As stated above if Bernier gets traded at the draft I would take it as a sign Quick is all but signed. Personally even how great hes played i only want Quick to sign for 5 years max.If you look around the league u see the goalies signed more then that are seen as overpayed or unwanted. As far as money wise i can see him signing some where between Richards salary $5,750,000 and no more then Kopitars $6,800,000 Hoping at 6.2 ish at 5 years I think would be fair.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Not sure, but I think Columbus has to notify the Kings well before the 27th pick on their intention regarding the Kings 1st round pick this season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some trades involving highly touted future #1 goalies who were dealt before they were proven starters. Some proved to be the players they were expected to become (Kiprusoff), others faded and crumbled under the pressure (Toskala).

Miikka Kiprusoff:
Traded to Calgary by San Jose for Calgary's 2nd round choice (Marc-Edouard Vlasic) in 2005 Entry Draft, November 16, 2003.

Steve Shields:
Traded to San Jose by Buffalo with Buffalo's 4th round choice (Miroslav Zalesak) in 1998 Entry Draft for Kay Whitmore, Colorado's 2nd round choice (previously acquired, Buffalo selected Jaroslav Kristek) in 1998 Entry Draft and San Jose's 5th round choice (later traded to Columbus - Columbus selected Tyler Kolarik) in 2000 Entry Draft, June 18, 1998.

Stephane Fiset:
Traded to Los Angeles by Colorado with Colorado's 1st round choice (Mathieu Biron) in 1998 Entry Draft for Eric Lacroix and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (Martin Skoula) in 1998 Entry Draft, June 20, 1996.

Vesa Toskala:
Traded to Toronto by San Jose with Mark Bell for Toronto's 1st (later traded to St. Louis - St. Louis selected Lars Eller) and 2nd (later traded to St. Louis - St. Louis selected Aaron Palushaj) round choices in 2007 Entry Draft and Toronto's 4th round choice (later traded to Nashville - Nashville selected Craig Smith) in 2009 Entry Draft, June 22, 2007.

Semyon Varlamov:
Traded to Colorado by Washington for Colorado's 1st round choice in 2012 Entry Draft and Colorado's 2nd round choice in 2012 or 2013 Entry Draft, July 1, 2011.

Mathieu Garon:
Traded to Los Angeles by Montreal with San Jose's 3rd round choice (previously acquired, Los Angeles selected Paul Baier) in 2004 Entry Draft for Radek Bonk and Cristobal Huet, June 26, 2004

The returns for each of those goalies ranged from proven NHL talent to first or second round draft selections. I would liken Bernier's value to Varlamov.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Tadite

I don't think Bernier gets traded. First you need to get Quick to sign a long-term deal and second why would you give up such a great goalie tandem? We can keep it at least for another year or two. No need to rush anything.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Teams picking 1, 4, 5, 9, and 10 are looking for a young netminder.

Edmonton having #1 is very interesting. They ALREADY have too much youth to be able to afford in a couple years. There is no "2nd contract" for young studs anymore (see Doughty, Stamkos)

With Hall, Eberle, RNH, and to a degree MSP....they are already looking at 20+ million on a few forwards within the next 2-3 years and that is not even including Yakupov. Yakupov is going #1, and in a few years the Oilers can't afford all these guys at the forward position.

Bernier must be an appeal to them since the Kings have already knocked out a few years of developing him. He can step right in and be the starter and can grow with the team.

I think the Oilers would seriously consider a deal that included our 1st, Bernier, and a dman for the #1 overall.

It is just a matter of if DL is willing to gamble on Quick.
The Isles are not looking for a netminder, even though Bernier is going to be a stud. They have Poulin and Nilsson in pipeline who they highly regard. They will not trade a high draft pick for a goalie. Not happening.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
DL is gonna wait until someone blows his mind with an offer.
Or as they, 'An offer he can't refuse.'

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
bobafettish*

i have a feeling we will be disappointed in what we get for bernier.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:37 PM
LaLaLand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I don't think Bernier gets traded. First you need to get Quick to sign a long-term deal and second why would you give up such a great goalie tandem? We can keep it at least for another year or two. No need to rush anything.
This!!

how easily people forget how hurting we were for a tendy.. and now we have 2 and they want to deal him out for peanuts?? really deal bernier to add a prospect to the cupboard?? thank god deano is the man with the final say.

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Totally on board with hanging on to Bernier for another year at least. Playing him 20-25 games next season not only rests Quick after a long playoff run, it will maximize his trade value as well. Hopefully we won't need to play Quick 70+ games out of desperation just to make the playoffs.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
i have a feeling we will be disappointed in what we get for bernier.
doubt, no need to trade him if there is no good value out there for him. Way way way better off keeping him as a cheap and quality backup for next year than just trading him for junk

Old
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Unless we receive an outrageous offer, I'd hang on to Bernier for another year

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
This!!

how easily people forget how hurting we were for a tendy.. and now we have 2 and they want to deal him out for peanuts?? really deal bernier to add a prospect to the cupboard?? thank god deano is the man with the final say.
a tendy?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:48 AM
LaLaLand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
a tendy?
courtesy of urbandictionary haha

Tendy:
nickname for a hockey goalie (shortened version of goaltender)

"He wired a clapper going top dish but the tendy flashed leather and made a great save."

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:44 AM
SuperAlmeida

Varlamov was traded on July 1st (2011) for Avalanche's first-round pick in 2012 and a second-rounder in 2012 or 2013.

I think we'll se the same happening with Bernier. We are not going to trade him on draftday, so I think we will either get a top prospect and a pick, or a 1st round pick in 2013 and maybe a 3rd in 2013 or 2014.

If we had lost in the 1st round, then we would trade Bernier in a package for a top-six player. I don't see that happening now!

My hope is that we trade Bernier to a poor team! I would love to get a top-10 pick in 2013!

Teams looking for goalie:

Tampa Bay Lightning
San Jose Sharks (Division rival)
New York Islanders
Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Blackhawks
Ottawa Senators?
New Jersey Devils

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-30-2012 at 02:50 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote