HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Rantsi

vCash: 500
Any news on Teemu Laakso? Will Nashville offer him new contract? I guess he doesn't want to play in AHL anymore so it's either NHL (one-way) or back to Europe.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
detroit, vancouver, st louis, nashville, la, phoenix, chicago, anaheim, san jose all look like they could make the playoffs. dallas could too. edmonton got another 1st pick. the west is beyond competitive. much tougher than the east.

detroit, vancouver, la, st louis are all locks for playoffs imo (early I know)... then there is nashville, chicago, phoenix, la, san jose, anaheim, dallas.

colorado won't make the playoffs. neither will minnesota. going off right now. free agency could change it. colorado with suter would still be a fringe playoff team. plus, eklund is the source. don't see him going to mile high..
Yet they were in the hunt until the two last games of the season this year with Hejduk playing like crap down the stretch, Duchene being a non factor, unfit Mueller, SOB or Hunwick on the 1st pairing, EJ with back problems that forced him to play less and without this hypothetical addition of Suter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Adding Suter will fix the 8th-worst offense in the NHL?

Suter doesn't have a better chance of winning a Cup in Denver or St. Paul than he does in Nashville. If he leaves for one of those cities, it's not because he wants to win trophies, it's because of his ego, in which case, screw him.
Yes, adding another guy that can play with the puck on his stick to their defense will surely improve Avs transition game and their offense in general. Not to mention that Duchene should be healthy, Landeskog and O'Reilly being a year older, full season of McGinn (which is a good thing for Stastny as well) and Downie a duo that played great in Denver and healthy Mueller should be a big improvement to their offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Best case scenario the Avs are at least three years behind us on the development curve. If suter wants to spend the prime years of his career on a rebuilding team then he's an idiot
Avs aren't a rebuilding team right now and they surely won't be one if they sign Suter.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The point still stands that if Suter goes from Nashville to one of Colorado or Minnesota he is taking a step back, not a step forward. Unless one of those teams does something crazy (besides getting Suter) in the off season. Minnesota would have to do it though trades. Colorado would have about $8m to spend after Suter, provided Colorado wants to spend to the cap.

Even then it's not necessarily a smart move for him if he's being honest about wanting to compete for a Cup for years to come. The guy wants a career deal. Where ever he signs, he wants to sign a deal that will take him to retirement, or close to it.

Suter may well sign in one of those two places, but it would say a lot about Suter's real intentions versus what he has been saying in interviews.

btw Suter is good at carrying the puck, and he is good at passing it out. He doesn't fix offenses, though. Any Nashville fan will tell you that. The guys coming back from injury would have to do that.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:32 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I did see something funny. A Hawks fan had a hypothetical roster made up for next year with Suter on the second pair.

Yeah I really don't see him being OK with that. I'm not even sure he would want to play with Keith. Why not just stick with Weber?

Old
05-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The point still stands that if Suter goes from Nashville to one of Colorado or Minnesota he is taking a step back, not a step forward. Unless one of those teams does something crazy (besides getting Suter) in the off season. Minnesota would have to do it though trades. Colorado would have about $8m to spend after Suter, provided Colorado wants to spend to the cap.

Even then it's not necessarily a smart move for him if he's being honest about wanting to compete for a Cup for years to come. The guy wants a career deal. Where ever he signs, he wants to sign a deal that will take him to retirement, or close to it.

Suter may well sign in one of those two places, but it would say a lot about Suter's real intentions versus what he has been saying in interviews.

btw Suter is good at carrying the puck, and he is good at passing it out. He doesn't fix offenses, though. Any Nashville fan will tell you that. The guys coming back from injury would have to do that.
I agree with the bolded and I'm not arguing otherwise. He would need to gamble on the ability of Colorado's young guns like Duchene, Varlamov, O'Reilly and Landeskog reaching their potential.

As for fixing ofenses part of your post, I'm well aware that Duchene, Mueller and others would need to step up to improve Avs goalscoring ability, but you can't deny that Suter's ability to play with the puck would be a big addition in terms of their transition game, a game that relies heavily on EJ and on the hope that Elliot or Barrie can step in a be legitimate top 4 NHL d-men next season.

I said it on Colorado's boards that they have the best chance of getting Suter/Parise if they sign them both in a package deal (they have the cap space to do it), the chances of getting only one of them isn't high.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:32 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I did see something funny. A Hawks fan had a hypothetical roster made up for next year with Suter on the second pair.

Yeah I really don't see him being OK with that. I'm not even sure he would want to play with Keith. Why not just stick with Weber?
That comes off an article on hockeybuzz by one of the hawks writers. He had a well written peice about why Suter would/could go to Chicago. One of the points he makes is Nick Leddy and Suter share the same agents and was pointing out the agents say in the matter (which does exist, if merely from an advisory standpoint.) He said it was conceiveabl Suter and young leddy would make a nice pair. Also said, and rightfully pointed out that playing fewer minutes for him, and in retrun fewer minutes for keith and seabrook, could extend all their careers. it is worth a read.

On Colorado-They have a big hulking dman with a heavy shot that needs a puck mover to be successful. Sound Familiar? and it is one of his team usa buddies in Erik Johnson. that move would not surprise me a bit either. I would say that I still hope he signs here, which he has no reason not to other than family proximity. But Us, Colorado, Chicago, and Mnnesota still look like te frontrunners.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Colorado would be a great fit for Suter IMO. They are a young team on the rise much like Chicago a few years ago and would be perfect with Johnson.

Of course I just moved to Colorado so I may be biased

Old
05-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Random thought for my random moment on these boards every couple of months.

Say Suter leaves.

Alex Radulov and Sergei Kostitsyn for Marc Staal and a piece or two (say Chris Thomas). Fair deal? I'm thinking Staal might not be enough for both. Maybe Radulov and a piece for Staal?

Keep in mind, I haven't been following the Predators so far this offseason at all with my Rangers being in the ECF. Nashville is my second team, having lived out there for two years, but it's a distant second.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Poile Quotes via Josh Cooper article.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...ents-injuries/

In regards to injuries…

Poile confirmed a Montreal Gazette report that Hal Gill played the Western Conference semifinal with a fractured tibia that required offseason surgery. He also said forward Alexander Radulov had a (knee) meniscus issue that was expected to be operated on in Germany. That operation is considered minor. Besides those two players, “We’re in pretty good shape,” Poile said.

In regards to free agents, here is what Poile said about a few…

“I reached out to Paul Gaustad’s agent and Hal Gill’s agent, so I’m making the calls. In terms of a more complete answer next week would probably be more of a trying to set up meetings if it’s appropriate.”

“There’s lots of situations we have to look at. Again, on defense, a lot depends on what Ryan Suter does or doesn’t do in relation to (Jack) Hillen, (Francis) Bouillon and all those types of situations.

“I haven’t had a chance to talk to Jordin (Tootoo’s) agent yet. I touched base with Don Meehan once on Sergei (Kostitsyn) but haven’t gotten into anything with him yet.”

Old
05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Poile Quotes via Josh Cooper article.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...ents-injuries/

In regards to injuries…

Poile confirmed a Montreal Gazette report that Hal Gill played the Western Conference semifinal with a fractured tibia that required offseason surgery. He also said forward Alexander Radulov had a (knee) meniscus issue that was expected to be operated on in Germany. That operation is considered minor. Besides those two players, “We’re in pretty good shape,” Poile said.

In regards to free agents, here is what Poile said about a few…

“I reached out to Paul Gaustad’s agent and Hal Gill’s agent, so I’m making the calls. In terms of a more complete answer next week would probably be more of a trying to set up meetings if it’s appropriate.”

“There’s lots of situations we have to look at. Again, on defense, a lot depends on what Ryan Suter does or doesn’t do in relation to (Jack) Hillen, (Francis) Bouillon and all those types of situations.

“I haven’t had a chance to talk to Jordin (Tootoo’s) agent yet. I touched base with Don Meehan once on Sergei (Kostitsyn) but haven’t gotten into anything with him yet.”
Sounds a bit ominous.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
NoNecksCurse

so pretty much poile hasn't done **** lol

Old
05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
so pretty much poile hasn't done **** lol
Such an elite GM, he is

Old
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
VFL615*

It's funny when asked he says he plans on speaking to them at such and such date in the future. BS he is working them everyday i bet.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

what does Suter have to do with Cube and Hillen?

Personally i'd rather rotate Ellis, Blum and Ekholm next season before bringing back either of Cube or Hillen.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

From the official Preds twitter:https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/207658475902337024

Quote:
Hey ‪#Smashville‬ hearing rumors of a big announcement from Pekka Rinne tomorrow ‪#BeBold‬ ... stay tuned tomorrow & remember ‪#VoteRinne‬
What could that be? "Thanks for the votes"? "I'm getting married"? "The Finnish Mafia has just purchased a share of the Preds"?

Old
05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
From the official Preds twitter:https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/207658475902337024

What could that be? "Thanks for the votes"? "I'm getting married"? "The Finnish Mafia has just purchased a share of the Preds"?
"I will let Suter be on the cover if he signs back up with the Preds".

Old
05-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
"I will let Suter be on the cover if he signs back up with the Preds".

Old
05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
what does Suter have to do with Cube and Hillen?

Personally i'd rather rotate Ellis, Blum and Ekholm next season before bringing back either of Cube or Hillen.
honestly legge.. that quote from poile bothers me the most.

for one that signals a red flag as far as being a cap team.

it makes me think when suter bolts, that poile will re-sign one of cube or hillen so we will have something like this..

weber josi
klein gill
ellis/blum/ekholm cube/hillen

we already have fisher, legwand, erat, spaling, sk, wilson, smith, spaling, halischuk, bourque, radulov for our forwards .. assuming all RFAs come back (probably unlikely)

i know certain forwards will get raises if they are back (definitely rads)... where is the money going to make us a cap team? i dont see it.. and honestly i expect us to be hovering around the cap floor with suter gone

Old
05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Sounds a bit ominous.
I'm not sure I believe all that. He knows damn well there's only a few weeks left. He should be making calls left and right. He's a sly one.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:01 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Rinne possibly announcing that he's planning to play D with Weber?

Old
05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post

It would be cool if he was announcing a running mate. An action shot of him gloving down a wrister from Selanne. Some hot finn on finn action.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
VFL615*

So what was it? The signing of the fin d man?

Old
05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
so Im sure its like bedtime in finland now... did anything come of this??

Old
05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

So I'm guessing it was the "official" announcement of Joonas's signing??? Since he is a Finn, I'm sure Pekka was somewhat excited.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
So I'm guessing it was the "official" announcement of Joonas's signing??? Since he is a Finn, I'm sure Pekka was somewhat excited.
Someone just asked that they said Rinne was still "dotting i's and crossing t's" and that it wasn't out yet.

Closed Thread