HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

TSN's game plan for Sharks

Old
05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
TSN's game plan for Sharks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397130

Quote:
Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Sharks team that is surely good enough to reach the playoffs again next season, but do they have enough to harbour loftier goals?

Without breaking a sweat, the Sharks could put together a roster for next season that has the skill necessary to reach the playoffs, but if San Jose is going to compete for the ever-elusive Stanley Cup, they may have to get bold and make moves to upgrade this summer.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
hockeyball

Not a terrible article, more than I expect from TSN regarding the Sharks atleast. The prospect order was a bit out of whack, but understandable from a certain perspective.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
After winning a Stanley Cup in Chicago, Antti Niemi has provided above average goaltending for the Sharks, as his .917 save percentage over the last two seasons ranks 11th among goaltenders to play at least 100 games (seventh among those to play at least 120 games).
That .917 should be credited to San Jose's playing style, not Niemi. The 11-12 was the first time in these last eight years where San Jose finished 5th in Blocked Shots, matter of fact it was the first time they ever cracked the top-15 in the eight seasons. While blocked shots aren't the only important defensive stat, it's a solid indicator that the team focused on a more tighter and defensive strategy.

TSN should consider changing the name of these articles to "summation" instead of "game-plan". It really didn't offer much.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:52 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
That .917 should be credited to San Jose's playing style, not Niemi. The 11-12 was the first time in these last eight years where San Jose finished 5th in Blocked Shots, matter of fact it was the first time they ever cracked the top-15 in the eight seasons. While blocked shots aren't the only important defensive stat, it's a solid indicator that the team focused on a more tighter and defensive strategy.

TSN should consider changing the name of these articles to "summation" instead of "game-plan". It really didn't offer much.
I don't think that's fully fair. True, Nemo was not great last year, but he was very good the year before. To credit Nemo's SA% to just the defensive scheme is overlooking that his SA% was .024 higher than Niitty's in 10-11. Also, his .915 SA% last year was still impressive considering how "bad" many claim he was and how terrible out PK was.

yes, the new emphasis on shot blocking and tighter defensive play helps, but Nemo still played well enough to put up very good numbers. I don't think a combo of Niitty and Greiss could have emulated his stats.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
SJeasy

Not well thought out. Starts with huge praise for Pavs and then follows up by listing him as trade bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I don't think a combo of Niitty and Greiss could have emulated his stats.
Agree with Param on the goaltending miss. It is very rare for a backup to post even a marginally higher rating than a starter with their system. The point is that Greiss did match Nemo.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Also, his .915 SA% last year was still impressive considering how "bad" many claim he was and how terrible out PK was.
Ever wonder why the PK is that much worse? How does a team go from being in the top 5 in PK to the botttom 10 in one year? Its starts with the goaltending and it has to do with Niemi's inability to control rebounds, hence the reason McLellan deployed his system of shot blocking. In Nabby's last year with the Sharks they were in the top 5 in PK and the following year with Niemi in, they finished at 23rd and 29th this year. Some will like to blame the coach, but clearly its not McLellan or Woodcroft.

With Niemi's shot control, McLellan had no choice to keep his defenders close to Niemi to clear rebounds.

I really think the Sharks need to go a different direction with goaltending, I really think Griess has deserved a shot, but Im not sure how much of a workload he can handle.

SoftDumpInTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Decent article. It was at least obvious that the actually watched the team instead of just browsing stats, and that's all I really ask for when it comes to the Sharks from national bodies like TSN.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
Ever wonder why the PK is that much worse? How does a team go from being in the top 5 in PK to the botttom 10 in one year? Its starts with the goaltending and it has to do with Niemi's inability to control rebounds, hence the reason McLellan deployed his system of shot blocking. In Nabby's last year with the Sharks they were in the top 5 in PK and the following year with Niemi in, they finished at 23rd and 29th this year. Some will like to blame the coach, but clearly its not McLellan or Woodcroft.

With Niemi's shot control, McLellan had no choice to keep his defenders close to Niemi to clear rebounds.

I really think the Sharks need to go a different direction with goaltending, I really think Griess has deserved a shot, but Im not sure how much of a workload he can handle.
No, I never did wonder. It was an idiotic super passive PK strategy that the coach continued to employ for two seasons regardless of its clear ineffectiveness.

In 09-10 Chicago was 4th in PK% and San Jose was 5th. Niemi isn't the problem.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:41 PM
jgood

Didn't Nabby prefer players not to block shots in front of him?

jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:04 PM
SonomaShark
@SharkInfestation

Ugh... Cullen's proposed roster still includes Handzus ...and he adds Souray

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Clowe Me

I expect all of the RFA's to be tendered and none of the UFA's to re-sign (though I'd love Winnik to.)

One or not more of Boyle (on the fence), Pavelski (don't want), or Clowe (please) will be traded to acquire a big name at the draft.

Marleau isn't going anywhere. There isn't a Heatley loophole known to his NMC and he won't leave the area willingly.

The team will make the playoffs, but will likely finish in the 6-8 range.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood View Post
Didn't Nabby prefer players not to block shots in front of him?
Yeah. He wanted to get a clear view of every shot.

Personally, I like our shot-blocking. We're one of the top shot blocking teams in the league; if we had a semblance of a transition game like the Rangers and any skilled speed up front besides Marleau and Havlat (who aren't big shot-blockers), think of all the odd-man rushes we could create.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Clowe Me

I'm ok with him adding Dvorak, MacKensie, and Rosehill for depth, but Handzus and Souray? No thanks.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I expect all of the RFA's to be tendered and none of the UFA's to re-sign (though I'd love Winnik to.)

One or not more of Boyle (on the fence), Pavelski (don't want), or Clowe (please) will be traded to acquire a big name at the draft.

Marleau isn't going anywhere. There isn't a Heatley loophole known to his NMC and he won't leave the area willingly.

The team will make the playoffs, but will likely finish in the 6-8 range.
We had absolutely NO idea about Heatley's window and it was basically a total shock to everyone when he was traded (even me, who had been advocating it strongly).

Old
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We had absolutely NO idea about Heatley's window and it was basically a total shock to everyone when he was traded (even me, who had been advocating it strongly).
There's a difference in situations. Do you really think Marleau would sign a deal with a secret window? Unless DW somehow tricked him into a loophole, which I wouldn't put past him.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Falco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There's a difference in situations. Do you really think Marleau would sign a deal with a secret window? Unless DW somehow tricked him into a loophole, which I wouldn't put past him.
This.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I would think it would be a trigger based window. Such as not making the playoffs, or 2nd round, or hitting at least a certain number of points/goals, etc.

So if so, we very likely would not know of it. I would actually be surprised if, at the price Marleau signed at (not a significant home town discount) DW didn't force him to make some 'performance guarantee's'. Especially after all the issues with Ron Wilson and so forth.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:09 PM
magic school bus

At least they gave Pavs the credit he deserves. Don't think they offered any new solutions beyond the classic "Marleau is chokerz," sign depth fwds and our prospects suck.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
I would think it would be a trigger based window. Such as not making the playoffs, or 2nd round, or hitting at least a certain number of points/goals, etc.

So if so, we very likely would not know of it. I would actually be surprised if, at the price Marleau signed at (not a significant home town discount) DW didn't force him to make some 'performance guarantee's'. Especially after all the issues with Ron Wilson and so forth.
Obviously why he scored goals 29 and 30 in the last two games. . But seriously, are you allowed to do that? I understand trying to guard against a repeat of 2007-2008, but I don't think Marleau would risk that.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Obviously why he scored goals 29 and 30 in the last two games. . But seriously, are you allowed to do that? I understand trying to guard against a repeat of 2007-2008, but I don't think Marleau would risk that.
Absolutely you can, it's common practice (the playoff thing especially).

From my understanding, it can say pretty much anything. With JT I would expect it's a full NTC because JT is a team guy, took a BIG discount to stay with this team, and is the face of the franchise. With Marleau, with the stripping of the captaincy, pouting season, and limited discount, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of out for Wilson. The question I think is did he, or the team, perform poorly enough to trigger the window. Who knows. Just saying, it certainly could happen.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Absolutely you can, it's common practice (the playoff thing especially).

From my understanding, it can say pretty much anything. With JT I would expect it's a full NTC because JT is a team guy, took a BIG discount to stay with this team, and is the face of the franchise. With Marleau, with the stripping of the captaincy, pouting season, and limited discount, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of out for Wilson. The question I think is did he, or the team, perform poorly enough to trigger the window. Who knows. Just saying, it certainly could happen.
Huh, I had no idea. Do you know of any publicly-known performance based clauses like this hypothetical one? Maybe DW had some sort of playoff clause, or something? I don't think anyone could have predicted that putrid series of his, but the numbers are a sticking point. What would be the cut-off in 5 games? 3 points? 4? At least 1 goal? It just sounds very odd to me. He hit 60 points, he hit 30 goals, he stayed healthy.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Interesting no mention of faceoffs -- one of the stats the Sharks have been pushing.

I find it hard to believe that they'd trade Pavelski with his faceoff prowess, even for a Nash.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Huh, I had no idea. Do you know of any publicly-known performance based clauses like this hypothetical one? Maybe DW had some sort of playoff clause, or something? I don't think anyone could have predicted that putrid series of his, but the numbers are a sticking point. What would be the cut-off in 5 games? 3 points? 4? At least 1 goal? It just sounds very odd to me. He hit 60 points, he hit 30 goals, he stayed healthy.
I don't think Capgeek shows minute details like that, but I know we've seen the playoff clause used several times on other teams in the past.

Did Marleau hit the window? Who knows, i'm just saying its possible he has one.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:56 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
that's not totally true - when he was traded to us, there were a lot of rumors about how heater's NTC wasn't full and could be traded down the line. no one was exactly sure what it was, but TSN and pollack both mentioned they didn't think it wasn't a full NTC over the life of the contract.

that said, no way did marleau let any clause get put in his contract.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
I don't think Capgeek shows minute details like that, but I know we've seen the playoff clause used several times on other teams in the past.

Did Marleau hit the window? Who knows, i'm just saying its possible he has one.
No, I mean do you know any off the top of your head?