HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snider Talks about Bryzgalov; Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”

Old
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Snider Talks about Bryzgalov; Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”

Quote:
We had tremendous success with all the young players and I’m very excited about the future of our team.”

As for offseason moves, Snider said “you can’t replace a Pronger, but maybe you can make some moves that help offset the loss of Pronger.” He said he believed GM Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”
Carchidi said that he was hinting at Suter

Ed Snider also talked about Bryzgalov and the fans.

Quote:
Asked to evaluate Bryzgalov’s season, Snider called it a “mixed bag. It went from shaky at times to spectacular at tikes. The Bryz we saw in March– the goalie was named the league’s player of the month – “I hope will be the Bryz that we see consistently in the future. I think he wasn’t prepared for Philadelphia fans and the microscope that he’s under. I think we’re tougher on goalies maybe than any other team in the league. I think our fans are frustrated, and rightfully so, for the goaltending carousel that we’ve had through the years. It’s the problem of management, not of Bryzgalov. We blew it and we created the situation (in the past). I watch the playoffs and regular season games, and ALL goalies let in bad goals, but when a goalie in Philadelphia lets in a bad goal, it’s like a disaster.

“Look at the playoffs two years ago when we played New Jersey. (Marty) Brodeur looked like he was through. And we beat New Jersey in five games, and even the games we played against New Jersey this year, Brodeur looked shaky at times, but he was good enough to win. In Philly, if that would happen, they would be booing our goalie even if we were ahead. And it’s tough. I would hope they will be more patient with the goalie, but like I said, the frustration isn’t the cause of their fault; it’s our fault for what we’ve created. Then Bryzgalov stepped into that. I don’t think he was prepared for it, and he’s a very sensitive kid. Even though he jokes around, he’s extremely sensitive and it affected him. But you can see how he can play. He was voted the best player in the league in March, and it’s a great accomplishment.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...direction.html

Last edited by JABEE: 05-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Couldn't have said it better about the reactions to Bryz.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
It's not the fans' fault he played like garbage for 2-3 months straight.

05-29-2012, 02:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
It's not the fans' fault he played like garbage for 2-3 months straight.
how can you be sure?

Old
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
how can you be sure?
Because he began playing badly while the fans were still on board. They turned on him AFTER he continued to disappoint.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Because he began playing badly while the fans were still on board. They turned on him AFTER he continued to disappoint.
True, but our wonderful outpouring of support certainly didn't help him turn it around. Didn't he finally start playing well while they were on a road trip?

When will people learn that booing players don't make them play better? Bryz knew when he sucked, he didn't need us to help him hate his life even more. And him having a fat contract in his pocket isn't going to MAKE HIM play any better. He can't play above himself because of dollar signs, especially when he has other professional athletes trying to earn their own contracts on a nightly basis...something has to give. For much of the season, it was Bryz. Hopefully next year is different.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
True, but our wonderful outpouring of support certainly didn't help him turn it around. Didn't he finally start playing well while they were on a road trip?

When will people learn that booing players don't make them play better? Bryz knew when he sucked, he didn't need us to help him hate his life even more. And him having a fat contract in his pocket isn't going to MAKE HIM play any better. He can't play above himself because of dollar signs, especially when he has other professional athletes trying to earn their own contracts on a nightly basis...something has to give. For much of the season, it was Bryz. Hopefully next year is different.
It's the nature of sports, from hockey to the most random sports worldwide. You wont find fans cheering for a player who plays bad. Just not how it works.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
moosehead81

"Snider said he was happy for Richards and Carter, whose Kings open the Stanley Cup Finals on Wednesday in New Jersey, and “I hope they win the Cup."

I'm sure you do- NOT! Must have broke Carchidi's heart to hear you say that.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Larry44

Nice to read that the owner has a very good handle on the season, is optimistic and realistic and sees what needs to be done.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
tuckrr

on the money. Goaltending is a position most fans don't get. It's not like being a winger, you don't need the fans to cheer and give you adrenaline. YOU NEED FOCUS.

all this booing over fluky goals only breeds lack of concentration!

that and we had the most unlucky year with defensive injuries.

when bryz is confident, he's a tough goalie to score on...its that simple. Put your egos aside and root for the guy (to those who wanted vokoun lol)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The backpedaling finally begins.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:57 PM
MsWoof

Bryz is a kid?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
on the money. Goaltending is a position most fans don't get. It's not like being a winger, you don't need the fans to cheer and give you adrenaline. YOU NEED FOCUS.

all this booing over fluky goals only breeds lack of concentration!

that and we had the most unlucky year with defensive injuries.

when bryz is confident, he's a tough goalie to score on...its that simple. Put your egos aside and root for the guy (to those who wanted vokoun lol)
So should we not cheer as well?

Come on.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He latched everything to Pronger getting hurt and needing to replace him.

It's the other Nashville defenseman who would presumably do that. So, we know what the marching orders are for the off-season.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

It's the other Nashville defenseman who would presumably do that. So, we know what the marching orders are for the off-season.
That was sort of my reading as well.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:15 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Put your egos aside and root for the guy (to those who wanted vokoun lol)
Cap fans just weren't supportive enough of him. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:53 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Cap fans just weren't supportive enough of him. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it.
I wish the fans were more supportive of lil Bryz when he scored a goal on himself in an elimination game on home ice... Poor little fella.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Great, more excuses.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Suter said he'll "entertain" offers from Nashville. I think it's pretty black and white at this point. Suter is either getting the house or making it to market with the latter being the more likely scenario.

With Suter on the way out, Weber is 100% off the table. That's the end of that discussion unless you're throwing Giroux at Nashville.

If we want a big time #1 it's Suter or bust. If Suter comes with Parise, he's not coming to Philadelphia unless JVR's or Briere's contract and possibly another are on the way out.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:12 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

uh oh. here we go again. another thread about bryz.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Bryz is a kid?
sure. mentally

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Suter said he'll "entertain" offers from Nashville. I think it's pretty black and white at this point. Suter is either getting the house or making it to market with the latter being the more likely scenario.

With Suter on the way out, Weber is 100% off the table. That's the end of that discussion unless you're throwing Giroux at Nashville.

If we want a big time #1 it's Suter or bust. If Suter comes with Parise, he's not coming to Philadelphia unless JVR's or Briere's contract and possibly another are on the way out.
You're assuming Weber signs long-term if Suter leaves. That's not necessarily true. Weber will make 7.5 million next year on the QO alone, right? What do you do if your Nashville and he won't sign long-term? You can't lost them both in consecutive years for nothing...

I hope it doesn't come to that--for them and for us. I'm a bit worried what Holmgren might send to Nashville if Weber became available. My guess is Voracek / JVR / Schenn + Coburn + multiple firsts.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
TheKingPin

There is no way he blows the bank on weber with suter for free players wise. Get suter and draft a good dman and our corp will be one of the best again

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
JABEE

Quote:

Unless Suter is the only one they believe they can keep.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

You think Snider is thinking off of that.

Weber is a piece of candy and Snider is the 5-year old kid who keeps screaming how much he wants it and only gets it to shut him up

Last edited by GKJ: 05-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.