HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So my rec league team "cheated" according to the other team.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Don't your leagues require players to play during the season to be eligible for the playoffs? Our league requires that a player signed in for at least 1/3 of the regular season games in order to be eligible for the playoffs. And a player can only have a 3 division spread between the highest division and lowest division team they play on. Solves this problem.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
We were in the championship game against a team we have not beaten all year. We played them earlier in the day, and lost 8-4, with a severely shortened bench. Thinking we were going to be in the Bronze game, we called upon a few spares to fill holes on the roster. Thing is, these three, Josh, James, and Brent, are Junior A level players. By technicality on stats, we made it to the gold medal game against the aforementioned team. At this point not only were the three spares on the bench for us, we also had an almost full roster, missing only two regulars. When we were losing 3-2, these three went to work. James had a hat trick, Josh had an assist on each goal, and Brent...Well he didn't do much actually.

Point is, we were accused of "cheating" by the other team, due to the high skill level of the three, in addition to getting our captain back etc.

In a situation like this, do you consider it cheating? We thought we would have a shortened bench, and the three all had some connection to the team, through family, friends etc. Thoughts?
Thats a pretty BS thing to do.

Yea you cheated.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:02 PM
noobman

From my understanding most leagues don't allow subs during playoff games, but it sounds like yours does. Although what you did was technically in the rules, it was kind of a cheap thing to do. Your ringers essentially won the game for you. I'd be pretty upset too if I was the other team.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:16 PM
BHDefensiveForward

Seems like a pretty bush move to me. Stacking the team for the final round would be considered extremely unsportsmanlike. The team should have been told to forfeit the game because of that since it was premeditated.

Leagues I've played in would allow players to sub off roster if they matched the skill level of those being replaced. However you would need to prove this with prior stats, ect...

If you filled the bench with similar talent, then no it wouldn't be considered cheating by any means.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:58 PM
DeflatedFootball7

One of the players played one regular season game, and the entire round robin. The second played in two round robin playoff games. The player with the hatty was the only new guy.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Ozz

Quote:
One of the players played one regular season game, and the entire round robin. The second played in two round robin playoff games. The player with the hatty was the only new guy.
Based on what your original post said, you were down 3-2 when two of the new guys got going. One scored one goal, the other (who was a totally new guy to the team) got a hat trick. Sounds like you won on that hat trick which doesn't help your case if you're trying to argue that it was a fair move.

It's over now though, so all you can really do at this point if you feel bad about it is know for next time. Despite that, some people might say that it's not cheating if you don't get caught, some might say the other teams most likely had ringers too, some might say if it's not outlined as illegal in the rule book then it's legal to do, etc. It can be spun in many ways. Ultimately it just comes down to how you feel about it.

Me, I said earlier it was likely unscrupulous. Be that as it may, that's my opinion. But if it's not against the rules, then each team can do it and one would have to expect each team will indeed do it and act accordingly

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:38 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

All I'll say is I'm happy that my league doesn't allow that.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Your team should've cut Ric Flair promos at the other team after the game.

"Whooo! To be the man, you have to beat the man...Whoooo! We're the dirtiest players in the game! Whoooo!"

While maybe not technically cheating per your league rulebook, it's a pretty cheap thing to do. The other team has a right to be pissed.

We've went to tourney's before with 10 players before, running 6 forwards for 2 lines, 3 D - always interchanging one, and a goalie before. Bringing in 3 guys like that is no excuse. I'm sure you could've found some non-Junior A players to play also.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:31 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Then yeah that's pretty Busch league, I'd be p!ssed to

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
ponder

In all the beer leagues I've played in, there are pretty strict rules about who's eligible for the playoffs. You have to have played a certain number of regular season games to be eligible, and normally it's a pretty high number (like 10+ games out of a 30 game season). Bringing in ringers for the playoffs is strongly looked down upon in beer league hockey, and we're talking even 1 ringer here, not 3. Obviously your league lacked such rules, but yeah, I'd definitely say that it was bad form to call in 3 ringers for your final game.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:24 AM
donkers*

How short was your bench? If you had less than 5 players then yeah, bring in some bodies to field a full team but if you had more than that then bringing in some ringers is pretty lame. I'd be mad too.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
How short was your bench? If you had less than 5 players then yeah, bring in some bodies to field a full team but if you had more than that then bringing in some ringers is pretty lame. I'd be mad too.
We thought we would have eight. But only ended up missing two regulars. I think we had four lines and 5 d.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Plante

Quote:
We thought we would have eight. But only ended up missing two regulars. I think we had four lines and 5 d.

They dressed up even after you found out you'd have an ok roster to compete with?

Claude Lemieux Approves.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
They dressed up even after you found out you'd have an ok roster to compete with?

Claude Lemieux Approves.
its all relative to the division and league you're in...

when I was in the peg, there is some non contact league (WCHL I think?) that has a top division that is littered with active pro's, non-active pro's and Jr A/B players in their top div.. (guys from the A, the show, Swedish elite, guys like Mayers, Penner)

in that case, it wouldn't matter...

if you throw JrA, CIS, NCAA active players into any leage lower than their skill level, its often like watching a clinic being put on to Timbit kids

it is totally unfair and ******** to throw guys who have professional potential and aspirations on who train daily and skate 100+ times a year at a high level if you're not putting them on a like for like team

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
TJD

Is it cheating if your league manager approved it? No.

Is it frowned upon by the other teams and everyone else? Yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if that league loses out on a lot of players next session. Especially if the league manager approved of this.

TJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
In all the beer leagues I've played in, there are pretty strict rules about who's eligible for the playoffs. You have to have played a certain number of regular season games to be eligible, and normally it's a pretty high number (like 10+ games out of a 30 game season). Bringing in ringers for the playoffs is strongly looked down upon in beer league hockey, and we're talking even 1 ringer here, not 3. Obviously your league lacked such rules, but yeah, I'd definitely say that it was bad form to call in 3 ringers for your final game.
My summer league enforces a 5 game minimum to even play in the playoffs. So bringing in ringers are fairly tough.

If I was the other team, i'd be faily upset as well. Especially since your subs pretty much carried you guys to your championship.

Congratulations?

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Wooty

When things like this happen to a team (not enough players to compete) they should pick the next team to get the extra ice time.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
its all relative to the division and league you're in...

when I was in the peg, there is some non contact league (WCHL I think?) that has a top division that is littered with active pro's, non-active pro's and Jr A/B players in their top div.. (guys from the A, the show, Swedish elite, guys like Mayers, Penner)

in that case, it wouldn't matter...

if you throw JrA, CIS, NCAA active players into any leage lower than their skill level, its often like watching a clinic being put on to Timbit kids

it is totally unfair and ******** to throw guys who have professional potential and aspirations on who train daily and skate 100+ times a year at a high level if you're not putting them on a like for like team
Fully agree with you on this.

I actually had the (guilty) pleasure of being a ringer once. Even as a goalie its like everyone else is in scrimmage speed, I could only imagine what its like for 3 forwards (who likely played on the same line?).

Old
05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

BIG question:

Did you win any money with the championship?

if so, it's easy to get pissed, i would be too. I'd try to take out the ringer, even though I'm a smaller more of a skilled perimeter guy, i would take shots as many times as i can. money for championships are always personal.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
BIG question:

Did you win any money with the championship?

if so, it's easy to get pissed, i would be too. I'd try to take out the ringer, even though I'm a smaller more of a skilled perimeter guy, i would take shots as many times as i can. money for championships are always personal.
Try to take out a ringer? GL, with them being bigger, older stronger and more willing with less to lose.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Try to take out a ringer? GL, with them being bigger, older stronger and more willing with less to lose.
Generalize much? Age has nothing to do with hockey skill, nor do size or strength. Young scrawny weak guys can be great players.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:51 AM
CunniJA

We can't beat Team Iceland! They're bigger, stronger, faster... they have more facial hair.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Gino 14

You can use any excuses you want but it's a cheap and crappy way to win. If that had happened to your team you'd be on here whining that they cheated you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Whether or not it's officially "cheating" (and it's hard to comment on that), it's certainly a cheap way to win.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Generalize much? Age has nothing to do with hockey skill, nor do size or strength. Young scrawny weak guys can be great players.
Thats not what I was referring to, he said he would try to take out a ringer. Is it not ok to generalize that people who are older will be bigger, stronger and faster?