HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliott or Halak

Old
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
BigAndy32

vCash: 500
Elliott or Halak

Hey guys,

I'm doing a fantasy contract keeper style draft and we're starting 2 goalies.

I'm debating next round to pick a forward like Zetterberd/Iginla/Thornoton or go for a guy like Tim Thomas or Brian Elliott.

Can anyone shine some light one what's to become of him next season? Is he the starter? Traded?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-Andy

BigAndy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Alklha

Halak is the Blues starter, but if Elliott continues his regular season form into next season then he will still see 35 or so starts. I really can't see him being traded unless another GM gets desperate and makes a crazy offer.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Don't take Elliott. He had a career year that he is unlikely to duplicate. (Not saying that he will be bad next season, just that he is unlikely to set the single season SV% record two seasons in a row.) Factor in that he will see less than 40 starts. I guess it all depends on how points are calculated in your league. I personally would go with a goalie that will see more starts than Elliott. Kinda depends on who is left in the goalie pool though.

As far as a break-down of how the play, this is my take:

Elliott is more sound fundamentally. He is better at controlling rebounds and smothering the puck than Halak. Average reflexes. Not gonna steal games for you, but can provide a solid backing.

Halak has more talent. Gives up better rebounds than Elliott, but not bad in that department. Has great goalie instincts. Can steal games on occasion. Better at making the second (and third and fourth) save than Elliott.

[Hopefully another Blues fan who is better at goalie evaluation can chime in, I'm not exactly an expert.]

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
BigAndy32

Thanks guys!

BigAndy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Go with Halak. He's the more talented goalie. Not meant to be a knock on Elliot.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

when I read this threads title I thought "oh my god, this again? after the season ended this way?"

there won`t be a goalie trade, take Halak

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
the

vCash: 71
Halak is the starter,Elliot had his chance and failed in the playoff's. I also don't think that Elliot is going to have that monster season again.

Halak is a proven goalie that get's the job done when we need him.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
As far as a break-down of how they play, this is my take:

Elliott is more sound fundamentally. He is better at controlling rebounds and smothering the puck than Halak. Average reflexes. Not gonna steal games for you, but can provide a solid backing.

Halak has more talent. Gives up better rebounds than Elliott, but not bad in that department. Has great goalie instincts. Can steal games on occasion. Better at making the second (and third and fourth) save than Elliott.

[Hopefully another Blues fan who is better at goalie evaluation can chime in, I'm not exactly an expert.]
I don't know... seems to me like you pretty much hit the nail on the head with this assessment...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I don't know... seems to me like you pretty much hit the nail on the head with this assessment...

What was not mentioned, was that Elliott is more consistent. He positions himself better, is bigger, so covers more of the net, and plys the puck better. Even given all that, AND the fact that Halak can get down on himself and lose confidence at times, and have long slumps, - Halak is still the better goaltender (all aspects condidered), and should be chosen over Elliott. At his best, Halak can be unbeatable for short periods, and win games all on his own. He tends to play better when the games are more important.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:13 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
What was not mentioned, was that Elliott is more consistent. He positions himself better, is bigger, so covers more of the net, and plys the puck better. Even given all that, AND the fact that Halak can get down on himself and lose confidence at times, and have long slumps, - Halak is still the better goaltender (all aspects condidered), and should be chosen over Elliott. At his best, Halak can be unbeatable for short periods, and win games all on his own. He tends to play better when the games are more important.
Very true. Halak's highs are higher and his lows are lower than Elliott.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
UgotOSHIED

Quote:
Pretty much the best way to put it.

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
I don't know. Elliott has had some pretty low lows in Ottawa, Colorado and most recently Game 3 vs LA.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:45 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyOwnsYou View Post
Hey guys,

I'm doing a fantasy contract keeper style draft and we're starting 2 goalies.

I'm debating next round to pick a forward like Zetterberd/Iginla/Thornoton or go for a guy like Tim Thomas or Brian Elliott.

Can anyone shine some light one what's to become of him next season? Is he the starter? Traded?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-Andy
I'm going to assume that Halak is on your protected list and say Draft the forward.
Elliott is our 1B backup, won't be moved and will play less than 40 games.

He should put up decent enough numbers, but you can get a better value in net later in the draft(decent backup goalies are always available). Scoring forwards are hard to come by(not sure I like your choices for a keeper league, but in principle the forward holds more value).

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote