HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Goaltending.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,147
vCash: 500
So Goaltending.....

http://www.sulia.com/channel/hockey/...source=twitter

Chris Botta
Also in New York Islanders
#Isles will never say it publicly because this is CW's team, but Rick DiPietro will enter next season as the team's No. 3 goaltender. For the first time since DiPietro's injuries started four years ago, management has learned its lesson. Evgeni Nabokov is the No. 1, with Kevin Poulin (the favorite, with more experience and AHL success) and Anders Nilsson battling for the second spot. The NYI will keep 3. DiPietro's deal will not come off the cap. Rick no longer needs to ask, "What competition"?




NO DP bashing! You've been warned!!! Discuss the topic of goaltending.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
  #2
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
NO DP bashing! You've been warned!!! Discuss the topic of goaltending.
Pfft, hardly worth the effort now.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
  #3
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
'What competition?' Classic quote right there.

That quote is up there with 'it's not like were getting killed out there every night.'

Sounds like we are headed for the 3 goalie carousel again though.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:49 PM
  #4
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
'What competition?' Classic quote right there.

That quote is up there with 'it's not like were getting killed out there every night.'

Sounds like we are headed for the 3 goalie carousel again though.


Making DiPietro their #3 goalie,is a clear sign that they want to go with healthier goalies,who can give them the best chance to win.

It sounds like they are waiting for either him to retire or for the cba changes to allow a buyout.Probably hoping he retires and takes them off the hook for the rest of the contract.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  #5
bstash19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: long island
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
im hoping the new cba has a amnesty buyout. id love to get rick off the books, because he isnt going to retire. (charles cant make him a gm too) i dont this this team can have him be on the books for 9 more years.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
  #6
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Making DiPietro their #3 goalie,is a clear sign that they want to go with healthier goalies,who can give them the best chance to win.

It sounds like they are waiting for either him to retire or for the cba changes to allow a buyout.Probably hoping he retires and takes them off the hook for the rest of the contract.
We will see.

He was the #3 last year and still was in the rotation.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
  #7
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,115
vCash: 500
But what does #3 mean? Does #3 mean he takes up 1 of 23 roster spots & gets 1 start every other week? Does #3 mean he's starting in the AHL? Does #3 mean he's the backup in the AHL and is the 1st to be called up incase of an injury. Honestly only the last scenario is even palatable at this point.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
  #8
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
But what does #3 mean? Does #3 mean he takes up 1 of 23 roster spots & gets 1 start every other week? Does #3 mean he's starting in the AHL? Does #3 mean he's the backup in the AHL and is the 1st to be called up incase of an injury. Honestly only the last scenario is even palatable at this point.
Bolded option would be my guess.

I can't see him being sent down under Wang's watch, plus Wang needs his cap hit.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
  #9
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Bolded option would be my guess.

I can't see him being sent down under Wang's watch, plus Wang needs his cap hit.
well we're not sure what the cap situation will be next year. but yeah, he probably will need the cap hit. which is why even if there is some type of one time out clause teams can make, I kind of doubt they would with DP. Seems to me he's more valuable as a built in 4 m than he is as the color commentator.

I'm also not so sure how I feel about Poulin being the backup. I always believe that young players need to play, and being in a backup role doesn't help their development. I really wouldn't mind Poulin & Nilsson getting 1 more year in the AHL & bringing back Montoya or another vet goalie to be Nabby's backup.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:15 AM
  #10
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
I'm fine with DP as #3 but he is taking up a roster spot more needed elsewhere. I wonder if they plan to bring Koskinen back as well?

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:23 AM
  #11
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
well we're not sure what the cap situation will be next year. but yeah, he probably will need the cap hit. which is why even if there is some type of one time out clause teams can make, I kind of doubt they would with DP. Seems to me he's more valuable as a built in 4 m than he is as the color commentator.

I'm also not so sure how I feel about Poulin being the backup. I always believe that young players need to play, and being in a backup role doesn't help their development. I really wouldn't mind Poulin & Nilsson getting 1 more year in the AHL & bringing back Montoya or another vet goalie to be Nabby's backup.
That would be smart. The kids get more experience, IMPROVE at a lower level without the pressure, Montoya gets to play a reliable role and prove himself after not being so hot after his injury and Rick plays his two weeks as starter before he gets hurt. Again. It's, on all accords, what is best for the team short and long term.

So we won't do it. But we totally agree here.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:39 AM
  #12
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
We pretty much need 3 goalies at this point. One will always be hurt. Nabby suffered several minor injuries throughout the season and well, Poulin had the knee thing hopefully he'll stay healthy regularly. Obviously DP will need to be kept an eye on as he makes another attempt at regaining form after injury.

This was pretty much a no-brainer imo. I'm not going to argue the buyout situation, I honestly think DP has had a heart to heart with Wang at this point and they are both in agreement on how much longer he's going to make a go at being a starter again. Wang may have even said, "Until the doctor's tell you that you are done" which could be never. So with DP's contract not going anywhere, it will be a 3 goalie scenario...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:58 AM
  #13
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,686
vCash: 500
Every good team carries 3 goalies on the NHL roster, right guys? Just another unnecessary hurdle the team makes for itself when they are already a bottom feeder. Wang and Snow are already creaming over the thought of the 2013 draft party.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:06 AM
  #14
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 500
As long as Snow/Caps learned their lesson and keeps him as the #3 and does not force feed him any starts I'll be happy. The only time he should even dress is when Nabby or Poulin/Nilsson are too banged up to and even then it should be back up only.

FWIW I really hope Koskinen comes back over and gets some serious AHL time this year. I hope they haven't given up on him yet.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  #15
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,302
vCash: 500
even if there is a buy out option in the new CBA we will not buy out DP.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  #16
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
As long as Snow/Caps learned their lesson and keeps him as the #3 and does not force feed him any starts I'll be happy. The only time he should even dress is when Nabby or Poulin/Nilsson are too banged up to and even then it should be back up only.

FWIW I really hope Koskinen comes back over and gets some serious AHL time this year. I hope they haven't given up on him yet.
exactly gotta find a way to work him back into the mix. I fully believe though that Anders Nilsson will be our starting goalie in 2-3 seasons.

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
  #17
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
We all thought we would not see CW buyout Yashin, but a rookie GM convinced him to do it.

I can see the Isles strongly consider the DP buyout IF.... and ONLY IF....

1) There is a 1X amnesty that would keep him off the books. In other words if the amnesty is a 4 year hit rather then a 18 year hit it would be now, then Isles have to consider it.

2) That salary is a big part of what keeps the Isles over the floor. They would have to have a plan in place to cover the difference. Lots of Isles fans panic about the team getting to the floor, but it always does. I am less worried about that.

3) CW and GS would have to be somewhat convinced that the next real #1 existed in one of Nilsson and Poulin. Nabokov is fine, but aging and clearly a stop gap at this time.

4) I think the arena situation plays into this a little as well. How can they replace that salary if they have no clue where their home will be in 2 seasons?

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:44 AM
  #18
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
There is no "number 3." A third goalie is a temporary, inconvenient situation some teams may find themselves in until they manage their way back down to two goalies. Nobody goes years on end with a three-goalie rotation. It's not revolutionary, or helpful, or useful. It's just dumb and distracting. The Islanders are the only team that can't seem to figure this out.

If DP is 100% ready to go, then he should be the backup. The only backup. If he's not ready to go, he should be on IR or playing somewhere else to regain his form until he is ready.

I'm not knocking DP here. If he can play and he's the guy they want, then play the man. If he's not, then don't play him. I understand there are logistical issues with that simple formula, but we've had years to work on this now. It's like a carousel of the same five issues with this organization and not one of them is ever resolved. Folks at the top need to start making real decisions on a number of fronts soon, both on and off the ice.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
  #19
Seto
New Jersey 5000
 
Seto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Montoya can make more money elsewhere. Looking from Snow's point of view, there is no reason to resign him.

1. He has Nabokov, Poulin, DiPietro for the NHL roster.

2. He has Nilsson and Koskinen for the AHL roster and Poulin could always be sent down.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
  #20
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
The Isle's situation, with Poulin & Nilsson reminds me of when I lived in California and watched the San Jose Sharks late 90's early 00's. They had a young Nabakov and a young Kiprusoff. The same thing will happen with the Isles, hopefully we get a kings ransom for one of those goalie studs, because I truly believe both have top 10 abilities.

As far as next year, I see it this way

Nabokov 35 games (and then traded at the deadline)
Poulin 20 games (as he fights it out with Nilsson)
Nilsson 15 games (as he fights it out with Poulin)
DP 12 games


Last edited by scott99: 05-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  #21
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,406
vCash: 500
I would rather bring back Montoya or sign a decent back-up to be #2. Let Poulin and Nilsson split time in the AHL for another season. Ride Nabokov, then give spot work to DP and the Back-up. Only use our promising guys if injuries occur to Nabokov and our #2.

Next year Nabokov will most likely move on and then allow Poulin/ Nilsson whoever is on top to fight for the #1.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:12 AM
  #22
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
I might be the minority around here that thinks Nilsson is going to be the better goalie in the long run. However, that reasoning goes hand in hand with wanting Nilsson to stay in the AHL and continue to get a bulk of the starts while Poulin backs up Nabby.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  #23
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
I would like to seen them sign a good backup goaltender, let Poulin and Nilssen battle it out in the AHL. You just know that at some point this season we will have a couple goalie injuries.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
  #24
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I might be the minority around here that thinks Nilsson is going to be the better goalie in the long run. However, that reasoning goes hand in hand with wanting Nilsson to stay in the AHL and continue to get a bulk of the starts while Poulin backs up Nabby.
from what i have seen in the ahl i believe that nilsson has a higher ceiling than poulin. poulin is closer to a finish product but he has clear flaws...rebound control..positioning and he doesn't catch the puck all that well...nilsson needs more time but he has the potential to be truely special...

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:41 AM
  #25
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
from what i have seen in the ahl i believe that nilsson has a higher ceiling than poulin. poulin is closer to a finish product but he has clear flaws...rebound control..positioning and he doesn't catch the puck all that well...nilsson needs more time but he has the potential to be truely special...
On thing I noticed about Nilsson is, despite his size, he has really good reflexes, quite fast. Though my belief is Poulin will be the better goalie. I think this year he really brings it. We forget that last season, he was first coming back from a MAJOR knee injury. He had a tough first half in the AHL, but really was a major reason for the big winning streak late in the season, as well as getting the team into the playoffs. Nilsson was better than Poulin early in the season. Second half, Poulin was better. Probably because he was getting closer to being 100% healthy.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.