HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has your opinion on Darryl Sutter changed dramatically?

Old
05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Svensanity*

vCash: 500
Has your opinion on Darryl Sutter changed dramatically?

Flames fan here, and I knew all along he was going to be a great fit in L.A.

What was the overall mood around here when he was hired? and how has it changed, if it has?

GO KINGS GO! and thank you for beating those slimy Canucks.

Svensanity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

A lot of us didn't like it because he was portrayed as Murray 2.0 in terms of system, but the aggressiveness of the forecheck couldn't be more different.

The general opinion on the hire has done a complete 180 since about 2-3 weeks after, for those of us who were skeptical at the time.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

God I would hope so for those who weren't a fan of the move at the time.

I was fine with it at the time. Like Murray but not Murray = still solid defense-first mindset but much more aggressive puck attack and better in-game management.

Asks for (and gets) the most out of his players. Not sure how sustainable it is over the course of 2-3 seasons but it's certainly working short-term.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-27-2012 at 09:52 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:51 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

I was not a huge fan of the pickup early, because admittedly, I was ignorant of his style since it was so long ago that he coached the Flames. I remember reading a point/counterpoint on the hiring on ESPN in regards to his hiring and siding with whoever was against Sutter. Does anyone remember who was for and against? I'm almost positive it was Lebrun and Burnside who wrote the articles.

Now, I can happily say I was VERY wrong. I didn't bother to read up on what Flames fans thought and if I had, my education and excitement level would've come along much sooner. It's not often there are such glowing remarks about a former coach, but a great majority of Flames fans were very complimentary and that should've been a really good sign.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Not really. I was in the wait-and-see category, but when I heard he has emotion and holds players accountable, I already knew he was a huge step up from Murray.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
I was not a huge fan of the pickup early, because admittedly, I was ignorant of his style since it was so long ago that he coached the Flames. I remember reading a point/counterpoint on the hiring on ESPN in regards to his hiring and siding with whoever was against Sutter. Does anyone remember who was for and against? I'm almost positive it was Lebrun and Burnside who wrote the articles.

Now, I can happily say I was VERY wrong. I didn't bother to read up on what Flames fans thought and if I had, my education and excitement level would've come along much sooner. It's not often there are such glowing remarks about a former coach, but a great majority of Flames fans were very complimentary and that should've been a really good sign.
It was LeBrun who was completely for the hire and Burnside who was against it. LeBrun said something along the lines of, "Sutter will get the Kings into the playoffs, book it.".
Sutter is a great motivator, and a very intelligent hockey mind. Penner, Brown, Kopi, Doughty, Williams, Stoll, Greene, etc. have played their absolute best hockey in a Kings uniform since he's been behind the bench.
I was one of the few that was for the hire.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
It was LeBrun who was completely for the hire and Burnside who was against it. LeBrun said something along the lines of, "Sutter will get the Kings into the playoffs, book it.".
Thanks for that. Curious that Burnside has picked against the Kings in every single round. I hope he continues his prognostication futility.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Absolutely. I was O.K. with the move at the time, I thought it was lateral, but I felt that Sutter had many attributes that could prove to be a lot more beneficial than Murray, but I never imagined he would work out this well...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Ken Campbell, the genius writer for The Hockey News who said the Kings had not won a game in OT this year, was strongly against the Darryl Sutter hiring. Read this gem from the buffoon:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ry-Murray.html
Quote:
What we cannot understand is the name that is floating around as Murray’s replacement. Let’s get this straight. The Kings fired Murray ostensibly because they aren’t nearly creative enough given their personnel and can’t score goals and their answer to that problem is to possibly hire Darryl Sutter?
Apparently that’s the value of knowing the right people in the NHL, not exactly a new concept these days. When all else fails, people in management generally turn to people with whom they have a history. And Lombardi and Sutter have that, going back to their days together with the San Jose Sharks. But if you’re going to hire Sutter, what’s the point of firing Murray in the first place?
Quote:
Therefore, the fact they’re even considering replacing Murray with Sutter is nothing short of confusing. The Sutter way, which is heavy on rhetoric about hard work and short on success, involves playing suffocating, mind-numbing defensive hockey that is enjoyable to neither watch nor play. And Los Angeles is one of those markets in the NHL where the team not only has to be successful, it has to be entertaining. With Sutter in charge, we predict the Kings will be neither of those. If the Kings think Murray was no barrel of laughs, wait until they experience a couple of months under Sutter.
But recycling coaches is a tried and true method of managing a team. If the Kings were truly looking to turn the page and recreate their identity, wouldn’t they be better served asking the Toronto Maple Leafs if they could speak to Dallas Eakins or the Pittsburgh Penguins permission to interview Jon Hynes, two up-and-coming American League coaches who would bring a refreshing attitude and a new set of eyes to the Kings situation?
We appreciate that the Kings, who have put themselves through enormous amounts of pain to get top young talent and through financial challenges to augment that talent with star players, need to win now. But there’s no guarantee they’re going to get that with Sutter, whose teams have made it out of the second round of the playoffs only twice.
None of that will stop the Kings from, at the very least, seriously considering Sutter to fill the job. And as far as we can see, that will provide the Kings with more of the same, which isn’t very good.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Shellz

I was on the "I will give him a change before judging" and I'm glad I don't look like an idiot like some do when he started holding player accountable, I knew we were in for a big change.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I was wrong. I knew we needed a coach that was going to open things up, in particular letting our talented defenseman like Doughty take chances. I didn't think DS was the right guy to do that, I was wrong. He has been the best thing to happen to the Kings since I have been a fan of the team.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Absolutely. I was O.K. with the move at the time, I thought it was lateral, but I felt that Sutter had many attributes that could prove to be a lot more beneficial than Murray, but I never imagined he would work out this well...
This.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:14 AM
sueroe

I like Darryl Sutter and I was definitely on the side of wanting to give him a fair shake. It was time for a change. Didn't know how it would pan out, but obviously it has gone well.
When Terry Murray was hired someone on these boards said something to the effect that he was a good teaching coach and he would be great for the development of this team, but someone else would take them to the next level. I think they were right on the money.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

I was probably one of the few that was really excited about Sutter. I knew he would be the one to tear this team a new one & get them to play to their capabilities. 4 more to go.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
I was probably one of the few that was really excited about Sutter. I knew he would be the one to tear this team a new one & get them to play to their capabilities. 4 more to go.
I was right there with you.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I wasn't estatic but I was happy to get a good coach like Sutter, definitely crushed my expectations for him though

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

My only concern is his history. After reaching the Final with the Flames, he only lasted for one more season.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
My only concern is his history. After reaching the Final with the Flames, he only lasted for one more season.
That's because he took over as GM and relieved himself of coaching duties.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That's because he took over as GM and relieved himself of coaching duties.
That's my point. What if he quits again?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I think Sutter's experience as a GM made him realize just how much he missed coaching. Coaching is his passion.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Sutter's experience as a GM made him realize just how much he missed coaching. Coaching is his passion.
I think playing is his passion and when he coaches these guys, he has this weird thing where he feels he can live vicariously through them by coaching them to play how he would have played.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Svensanity*

Quote:
He didn't quit. He wanted to focus his attention on his GM role, and thought he wasn't fully invested doing both jobs.

Kind of hard being a GM without the coaching responsibility....now imagine doing both at the same time.

Svensanity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:15 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

I have been right about many things regarding the Kings, many of which I have posted on here passionately about, including Dustin Brown's ability to captain this team deep in the playoffs, Mike Richards' ability to step up when it counts, the fact that acquiring Jeff Carter would be huge for this team, and that Doughty is worth top $.

However, I totally crapped all over the Sutter hiring and thought he was Murray 2.0 except less personable and articulate. Turns out he's just misunderstood, but if you're around the guy enough or really watch all his press conferences, he's a very smart man. He comes across brusque and almost like a simpleton, but I'm almost positive the players see a different side of him.

At this point as far as I'm concerned his resume as coach pretty much says it all. I have 100% confidence in his ability to get this team prepared for the Finals.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Duc620

I was happy when Sutter was brought in. Now, I'm even happier for the club and it's future. And for DS and Lombardi. Already a magical year.

GO KINGS GO !!!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I honestly didn't know what to expect, but since it was Dean's butt that was on the line he had every right to go with a man he had the utmost trust in.

Started liking Sutter almost immediately though when he started calling out Brown, Kopitar, and Penner. Player accountability had finally arrived.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote