HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler trade talk on Martin

Old
05-28-2012, 03:51 AM
empire7

vCash: 500
Matt Martin isnt worth a 1st round pick.. yet alone first overall..

empire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire7 View Post
Matt Martin isnt worth a 1st round pick.. yet alone first overall..
We realize that.

Martin is young,excels at his role,cheap and a fan favorite.Isles have no reason to move him.
Unless some team is making a huge overpayment,the isles aren't moving Martin.

Isles have this kid named Tavares who they want protected.Just like the Oilers want Hall/RNH/Eberle protected.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs11 View Post
Ill take Martins no ******** approach and muscle over RNH, call me crazy, addition of skill by subtraction of muscle and leadership that is in a young big player, would be a huge loss to this organization and we already lack in the heart and muscle department, losing Matty Marts would be very very very very bad
That is completely ****ing nuts. Insane.

Look, I like Martin a lot and I wouldn't be actively looking to trade him if I were Snow...but if one of the worst teams in hockey considers a 3rd line grinder to be untouchable, then how are they ever going to improve?

Aside from John Tavares, everyone should be available for the right return.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post

Look, I like Martin a lot and I wouldn't be actively looking to trade him if I were Snow...but if one of the worst teams in hockey considers a 3rd line grinder to be untouchable, then how are they ever going to improve?

For a team that finished in 26th place, I hardly see a reason to label support players as "untouchable".

And this is from one of the biggest Martin fans you'll find.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Wow there are posters on here who wouldn't trade Martin for Eberle, RNH, etc? Talk about drinking the koolaid.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post

This. Hamonic a close second-but even then we should at least listen.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles have this kid named Tavares who they want protected.Just like the Oilers want Hall/RNH/Eberle protected.
The Isles have pretty much everyone not named Martin who needs protecting.

We probably have a top ten NHL lifetime man to ***** ratio. The only team with a bigger va-jay-jay ratio I can recall in the past 30 years was the Senators in the 90s.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Wow there are posters on here who wouldn't trade Martin for Eberle, RNH, etc? Talk about drinking the koolaid.
Yeah, it gets ridiculous. Martin is replaceable, but still valuable, of course, but still, there does have to come a point where you'll take a star player for him.

We're not getting Eberle, but anyond who wouldn't make that trade is just way too emotionally attached.

I think the suggestion is that we swap picks with Edmonton and give Matt Martin as compensation... yeah, I'm not doing that.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

I'd rather not trade Martin unless it's a blown away offer the magic laden gnomes in the underworld might suggest (Hall or the Oilers first or both Olsen twins). His ceiling is higher than we've seen, he can score and I believe can play second line (on our team, he should be there) if need be, and his element of toughness is something we should build on, not eradicate (cue: Charles Wang's summer promotional spots next to Gillies).

Yes, he's dealt for the packages some have suggested, but given he's not gonna be traded in this universe for Taylor Hall or Eberle or the first overall unless Garth can bring those three kissing hotties, a gallon of Schnapps and still get very lucky with the Oilers management, I hold onto him and try my hardest to resign Haley.

It's called solidifying the team dynamics. We need to get tougher not softer.

I play Nino and Kabanov with Martin as my 2, 3 and 4th LW'ers when spring comes. All bring toughness to each line. (and it's not like Snow will bring anyone NHL worthy in to supplant the yout's)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Yeah, it gets ridiculous. Martin is replaceable, but still valuable, of course, but still, there does have to come a point where you'll take a star player for him.

We're not getting Eberle, but anyond who wouldn't make that trade is just way too emotionally attached.

I think the suggestion is that we swap picks with Edmonton and give Matt Martin as compensation... yeah, I'm not doing that.
Some people think that moving anyone valuable is a mistake. But the reality is in order to get something-you have to give up something. And many fans are WAY too emotionally attached to Martin to make a rational decision. there is no way Martin would bring in a 1st liner (a young one with more room for growth at that). Period. There's not 1 team in NHL that would do that.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Seconded if we can snag Grigorenko, Galenchuk or Forsberg, all who could end up being best in the draft class (though Nail is awesome).

Old
05-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Martin is an important and affordable part of the puzzle, should the Isles ever expect to compete for anything.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Some people think that moving anyone valuable is a mistake. But the reality is in order to get something-you have to give up something. And many fans are WAY too emotionally attached to Martin to make a rational decision. there is no way Martin would bring in a 1st liner (a young one with more room for growth at that). Period. There's not 1 team in NHL that would do that.
Actually, Columbus might. They're a little nutty over there.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Martin is an important and affordable part of the puzzle, should the Isles ever expect to compete for anything.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
I agree, but if Edmonton says, "We want Martin so bad that we'll give you Jordan Eberle." - It would be foolishly spiteful to decline.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I agree, but if Edmonton says, "We want Martin so bad that we'll give you Jordan Eberle." - It would be foolishly spiteful to decline.
They won't be making that offer.

No reason to think they'll actually give us something that can really help.

Martin is the type of guys other teams think they can get 'on the cheap', if at all.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
They won't be making that offer.

No reason to think they'll actually give us something that can really help.

Martin is the type of guys other teams think they can get 'on the cheap', if at all.
Of course they won't. I didn't think that needed to be quantified.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I wound't want to trade Martin unless we got an offer we couldn't refuse. He's just too important to just trade for anything. I think some people are blowing this out of proportion. No one is saying they wouldn't trade Martin for players like RNH, Eberle, Hall etc. Martin is the type of player that the Isles need and it makes no sense for the Isles to trade him at all.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
mrislander82

Even if it means to obtain Nail Yakupov?

Not saying I would, personally id be on the fence. (we sorely need someone like him)

From a club stand point, its a big PR campaign opportunity, and the marketing would be huge for them as well.

This, from a "business-side" perspective, may seem good...

Just sayin

mrislander82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
IslandersFan17

Martin is a good example that hard work, effort, and dedication can help you move through the ranks despite where you may have been drafted. The kid hands down is one of the better role players this team has and I believe finished high in the league in hits.

That being said Tavares, Hamonic and Poulin/Nillson should be off limits and even those guys (minus JT) can be moved if the price was right.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Martin is a good example that hard work, effort, and dedication can help you move through the ranks despite where you may have been drafted. The kid hands down is one of the better role players this team has and I believe finished high in the league in hits.
That being said Tavares, Hamonic and Poulin/Nillson should be off limits and even those guys (minus JT) can be moved if the price was right.
Set the league record for hits, actually. Could be wrong, but it was in the 370's, I think - good for at least 4 1/2 a game - and many of them are hard ones.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
leaponover

You - Stop bashing fans for saying they wouldn't take an elite player for Martin
You - Stop bashing fans for saying they would take an elite player for Martin
You - Stop bashing fans by saying Edmonton would never offer an elite player for Martin

Me - It's obvious Martin is well liked, but also not going to bring a valuable enough return to offset what he means to this roster. I almost think we can close this thread now....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:03 PM
LotteryForLife*

No team would ever part with what we'd want for Martin. This kid is irreplaceable

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
LotteryForLife*

That being said though, would you guys do Matt Martin and the 4th pick for Eberle and a 2nd rounder?

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:26 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
That being said though, would you guys do Matt Martin and the 4th pick for Eberle and a 2nd rounder?
Absolutely, I'd do that in a heartbeat. With that said, Edmonton is not parting with Eberle. Despite all the hoopla their #1 overall picks get, he's their best player.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote