HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHL Bantam Draft GDT

Old
05-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Are you blaming Burnaby Winter Club for that?
Blaming for what?

He asked me about Taz.

As for Barzal I thought he was a great player but I also thought Jansen Harkins was a great player this season for NSWC. Both were great, but I didn't think it was a huge margin after watching and coaching against them.

Still not sure what you're talking about.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Blaming for what?

He asked me about Taz.

As for Barzal I thought he was a great player but I also thought Jansen Harkins was a great player this season for NSWC. Both were great, but I didn't think it was a huge margin after watching and coaching against them.

I am still not sure about Jansen Harkins especially when he had his dad coaching him for years and years. Agreed?

brutalhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Okay let's push that to top 5 of round 3... Is he looking at the NCAA route or am I missing something? I know some mock drafts had him going late round 1 or honorable mentions after round 1 but I didn't think he'd drop this far...
Use your vision. If Kawagchi is playing for a team in Delta or Cloverdale, will he accomplish as much as he did with POE? I doubt.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:45 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
How does Barzal compare to recent 1st overalls like Virtanen and Forsberg?
Barzal is better but will he function well under new coaching staff? That is a question we should ask ourselves. He's playing for one organization for too long time.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Really lost a lot of faith in this years draft. Some of the players that made it over others really surprised me.

Sadly, if you aren't on a big team or move with a fake address in some cases, there isn't much you can do. I know of at least seven players who were drafted that weren't as good as others who were passed up on. Whether it is politics or who they know, it's disheartening for some of us who watch the kids play at this level night in and night out, and even coach them or against them.
You said it perfectly.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:25 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalhockey View Post
You said it perfectly.
I think that if there are really only seven people that he knows of, then it isn't that bad. It makes sense. Teams only have a certain amount to spend on scouting, and it's easier to see bigger and more prolific teams than smaller or more rural teams. Does it suck? Sure, but what can you do?

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I think that if there are really only seven people that he knows of, then it isn't that bad. It makes sense. Teams only have a certain amount to spend on scouting, and it's easier to see bigger and more prolific teams than smaller or more rural teams. Does it suck? Sure, but what can you do?
Good analysis.

Right, nothing much we can do.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
MNHOCKEYPROSPECTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Rim Pitlick is 5'1. He must have to be pretty skilled to even be given a chance with a AA/AAA team
The first time I scouted him I thought I had the wrong number of the player, and then I watched him play. He is skilled and may have the best hands I’ve seen. He’s quick and slippery, bigger players can’t track him. One thing is for sure, I can’t ask the question….”wait until he plays against bigger players”.

MNHOCKEYPROSPECTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNHOCKEYPROSPECTS View Post
The first time I scouted him I thought I had the wrong number of the player, and then I watched him play. He is skilled and may have the best hands I’ve seen. He’s quick and slippery, bigger players can’t track him. One thing is for sure, I can’t ask the question….”wait until he plays against bigger players”.

That reminds me of Orca Wiesblatt.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalhockey View Post
I am still not sure about Jansen Harkins especially when he had his dad coaching him for years and years. Agreed?
Agreed. Same as Barzal. I get to watch a lot of them play with the Spring league teams and wish that was brought more into consideration.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:27 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Agree fully. The draft isn't the end of the road for these kids. Sure, not everyone got picked but there is always time for these kids to prove themselves.

The Blades have two good examples on their roster currently with Darren Dietz being listed in 2009, making the team later that year and being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in round 5 in 2011.

They also have Travis McEvoy, who had a strong rookie season this year as a 16 year old C after being listed last year.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that not every kid can get picked, but that's life.
Well said RS.

Who was considered to have the highest hockey IQ in this years draft?

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
That is simply because my knowledge of the US and Alberta-East teams is minimal. There could be a dozen or more in each.

I watched the draft and as names came up I lift an eyebrow or anticipate a row of picks with the logic that 'if ______ went, then surely ______ would be coming soon or should be ahead of him.'

Sadly, this wasn't the case. I was skeptical of the Bantam draft and the head scouts I spoke to said that the agents, parents and players have turned this process into a circus. It's crazy how so many now focus on the draft as the end goal of their entire bantam year. I can attest to this insanity as a head coach this year in Bantam A1 but I never expected the pressure of the draft to weigh so heavily on these kids and their families.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Interesting to see the WHL camp invites coming out this week. I wonder how many players didn't get drafted but receive letters this week to come to camps.

Great opportunity for players who weren't drafted to showcase and try to outshine the ones that were. Will be interesting to see who ends up making strong impressions and finding places on rosters in the WHL or BCHL.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
pdxshark

Quote:
Interesting to see the WHL camp invites coming out this week. I wonder how many players didn't get drafted but receive letters this week to come to camps.

Great opportunity for players who weren't drafted to showcase and try to outshine the ones that were. Will be interesting to see who ends up making strong impressions and finding places on rosters in the WHL or BCHL.
Portland generally has some success in listing players who are camp invites. Always fun to see who shows up off the radar and really blows everyone away. I remember first camp practice Troy Rutkowski stood out immensely and greatly outclassed many current winterhawks roster players at 15 (remember this is a roster than won like 11 games).

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Portland generally has some success in listing players who are camp invites. Always fun to see who shows up off the radar and really blows everyone away. I remember first camp practice Troy Rutkowski stood out immensely and greatly outclassed many current winterhawks roster players at 15 (remember this is a roster than won like 11 games).
Exactly.

My top player from last season already has five camp invites and counting this week from WHL teams. Seems people thought they didn't need to draft him and could simply offer him a camp invite because he was under the radar. Well, he was on at least 5 teams radars and now has a point to prove to everyone at the camp he chooses. Now he gets to choose which WHL team to go tryout for. This may actually work out for him in the end because of his skill-set and pedigree.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
brutalhockey

Quote:
Exactly.

My top player from last season already has five camp invites and counting this week from WHL teams. Seems people thought they didn't need to draft him and could simply offer him a camp invite because he was under the radar. Well, he was on at least 5 teams radars and now has a point to prove to everyone at the camp he chooses. Now he gets to choose which WHL team to go tryout for. This may actually work out for him in the end because of his skill-set and pedigree.
Very interesting.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Blaming for what?

He asked me about Taz.

I asked because Burnaby has the most hyped players and I was assuming that because I thought you blamed this on them, sorry for assuming

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Jets2011

Sorry late to the party but;

Kruz Listmayer is Colton Orr's Nephew.
Keegan Kolesar's father is a former Pitt Pirates prospect.
Jackson Keane is Mike Keane's son.
Garrett Armour's Uncle or great Uncle is Jim Benzelock (Nordiques).
Interesting to see both Dallas Miller and Ethan Williams drop.
I would keep an eye on Armour, he's a bull and has his head on straight.

Jets2011 is offline   Reply With Quote