HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Oiler trade talk on Martin

Old
05-29-2012, 11:56 PM
empire7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
We realize that.

Martin is young,excels at his role,cheap and a fan favorite.Isles have no reason to move him.
Unless some team is making a huge overpayment,the isles aren't moving Martin.

Isles have this kid named Tavares who they want protected.Just like the Oilers want Hall/RNH/Eberle protected.
Well a few posters are saying that they would need players like Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, or a first rounder for Martin.. Just like you guys I love Martin and the way he plays the game but you have to be kidding. A 30+ goal scorer along with 40+ assists is being looked at as a fair return for 7 goal scorer? I know scoring is not his role. I realize that his job is to protect Tavares and our other young players while being a positive figure in the locker room and a high energy player. But really? Not to make it seem like im putting anyones opinions down, but its a lot easier to find a replacement for Martin than it is to find a replacement for Eberle.. *cough cough* Michael Haley

empire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:49 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Absolutely, I'd do that in a heartbeat. With that said, Edmonton is not parting with Eberle. Despite all the hoopla their #1 overall picks get, he's their best player.
I think RNH is their best player, but I would love to have either of them.

Martin is a great player to have on our team, but some of you guys are really overrating what he brings to the table. Hell if we got offered a 50 point player or a good second pairing defenseman for him I would pull the trigger without thinking twice.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

there's absolutely ZERO chance of Eberle, RNH, Hall or the #1 pick being traded with Martin being the centrepiece of a deal. ZERO chance.

Martin isn't that valuable, not even close. Martin can be replaced. A player who finishes checks, can fight, chip in 5-10 goals - that's orders of magnitude less of what those Oiler players will deliver.

Maybe Paajarvi or Sam Gagner, in terms of value, but that wouldn't work either since the Isles need more players like Martin, not less and the Oilers/Isles BOTH need defense desperately.

bad trading partners.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I think RNH is their best player, but I would love to have either of them.

Martin is a great player to have on our team, but some of you guys are really overrating what he brings to the table. Hell if we got offered a 50 point player or a good second pairing defenseman for him I would pull the trigger without thinking twice.
This. Martin, although popular (mainly due to his role/playing style) is a lot easier to replace than a 2nd liner/top-4 D. That's just the nature of the game-and reality.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
there's absolutely ZERO chance of Eberle, RNH, Hall or the #1 pick being traded with Martin being the centrepiece of a deal. ZERO chance.

Martin isn't that valuable, not even close. Martin can be replaced. A player who finishes checks, can fight, chip in 5-10 goals - that's orders of magnitude less of what those Oiler players will deliver.

Maybe Paajarvi or Sam Gagner, in terms of value, but that wouldn't work either since the Isles need more players like Martin, not less and the Oilers/Isles BOTH need defense desperately.

bad trading partners.
I don't think anyone realistically thinks the Oilers would consider even for a minute moving RNH, Hall, Eberle or the 1st for Martin.

But as you point out, there isn't really much else that would entice the Islanders, and we're in no position to be trading quality for quantity. So that's what it would take. Isles would have to add, but in the end the truth is, there just isn't a deal to be made. Isles need Martin more than they need anything from the Oilers that isn't a massive overpayment.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
camper

Matty Marts is exactly what teams wanting to win is all about, a piece of the puzzle! Glad he is on the Island, but he is a commodity that tips the scale. Time will tell how the Islanders finish the rebuild, but the Isles are not a better team without Marts, No trade but its good to read others even if they are Oil Bloggers understand his value. Bigger things to come from #17, lets hope he does them as an Islander

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

he will score more next year. Duane Sutter with more hits.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
What the hell is wrong with some of you? No one is saying that Marty would yield a RNH or a Jordan Eberle. What they are saying is that Martin is THAT valuable to the Islanders that they would want that type of player in return. YOU say its impossible and we say THATS THE POINT!

Jeez, some of you are really ridiculous.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
What the hell is wrong with some of you? No one is saying that Marty would yield a RNH or a Jordan Eberle. What they are saying is that Martin is THAT valuable to the Islanders that they would want that type of player in return. YOU say its impossible and we say THATS THE POINT!

Jeez, some of you are really ridiculous.
The problem is he's not that valuable. If he was-he would be able to fetch that in return (or at least in the ballpark). Are you going to honestly say that if RNH was on the Islanders tomorrow (or a player slightly worse)-that Martin would be as valuable to the team?

If we get a legit 2nd liner for Martin-we should immediately pull the trigger.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The problem is he's not that valuable. If he was-he would be able to fetch that in return (or at least in the ballpark). Are you going to honestly say that if RNH was on the Islanders tomorrow (or a player slightly worse)-that Martin would be as valuable to the team?

If we get a legit 2nd liner for Martin-we should immediately pull the trigger.

your not getting it

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I would trade Grabner, Katic and Rakhshani for Gagner and Paarjarvi though...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
So would I.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:21 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
your not getting it
No I get it just fine. People are saying Martin's so valuable to the team that it would take a name like RNH for them to accept a trade. That's ridiculous.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
What if the Islanders do Martin+ for Gagner? If Parenteau leaves, Gagner would be a good replacement for Parenteau.

Him and JT played pond hockey as young children, the chemistry would be undeniable!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What if the Islanders do Martin+ for Gagner? If Parenteau leaves, Gagner would be a good replacement for Parenteau.

Him and JT played pond hockey as young children, the chemistry would be undeniable!
Gagner doesn't play wing.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Is Matt Martin really getting traded or is this just some guy talkin?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jazbo View Post
Is Matt Martin really getting traded or is this just some guy talkin?
Pretty sure its not a legit rumor, pretty much just saying that the Oilers are interested in finding a guy that plays a game like Martin, nobody in particular but he'd certainly be a perfect fit for what they need.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:49 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
That being said though, would you guys do Matt Martin and the 4th pick for Eberle and a 2nd rounder?
EDM would not trade Eberle for that package

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:54 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
EDM wouldn't do that trade though

Old
06-10-2012, 02:55 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Gagner doesn't play wing.
Yes, Gagner can play wing he did in EDM a bit with RNH and Eberle and did very well.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
No I get it just fine. People are saying Martin's so valuable to the team that it would take a name like RNH for them to accept a trade. That's ridiculous.
No, that's not it...the point is he really has no trade value, because how we interpret his value, and how other teams interpret his value are going to be way too far apart...its going to take an overpayment for a team to get him, and no team is going to overpay

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Then who would you trade him to the oilers for ?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:55 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
No, that's not it...the point is he really has no trade value, because how we interpret his value, and how other teams interpret his value are going to be way too far apart...its going to take an overpayment for a team to get him, and no team is going to overpay
I was talking about those who said they wouldn't move Martin for a RNH, or an Eberle, etc. And yes some people DID say that. I think many made outrageous comments, then are backtracking not to look foolish by telling others they misunderstood. Some people have even deleted their posts in thread entirely.

I actually agree with this post of yours in this past post. But it wasn't your initial view, here's the first post you made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Martin for Nugent-Hopkins...they might have to add, but i guess i could live with this

You guess you could live with Martin for RNH? They might have to add something? As I said: "No I get it just fine. People are saying Martin's so valuable to the team that it would take a name like RNH for them to accept a trade. That's ridiculous."