HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

any info on Hishons Health?

Old
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 500
getting Hishon back and keeping him healthy is key for the future of this franchise. he could be a stud if he stays healthy.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Good news. Even without the injury I think a year in the AHL is best for him. Avs do like to give guys the chance to grab a spot in camp, so who knows. He should be quite rusty, I imagine.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
getting Hishon back and keeping him healthy is key for the future of this franchise. he could be a stud if he stays healthy.
I wouldn't say it's key, but it will definitely help compensate for potential losses to Jones, and maybe Hejduk and Mueller in the near future, as well as likely missing out on any top UFA forwards.

I also have a feeling he will mesh will with Duchene and finally be that offensive winger that he develops chemistry with.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Dater wrote an article about him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
All he did was restate how he got hurt, and then post the tweets Hishon sent out. God forbid he did any actual reporting and got on the phone with him or his agent, or someone close to his situation, so we could get a better idea of how he's doing.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:15 AM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
All he did was restate how he got hurt, and then post the tweets Hishon sent out. God forbid he did any actual reporting and got on the phone with him or his agent, or someone close to his situation, so we could get a better idea of how he's doing.
Would you hand your number out to Dater? I wouldn't.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Would you hand your number out to Dater? I wouldn't.
I didn't think he had his number in his phone. That's what being a reporter is, or used to be anyway though.

Talk to his agent, ask if he'll talk to him for a couple minutes, or ask his agent if he'll give him a couple quotes, or quit being lazy and do some actual reporting and see if you can dig up some people close to the Owen Sound team, or friends of his.

There's never any stories on the Post's site that seem like they took longer than 5 minutes to get some info off HF Boards or Twitter or some other site, and do a write up. The Avs are notoriously tight lipped for sure, but that doesn't mean they're the only one a reporter has to talk to.

Hishon's only a member of the Avs organization as a prospect that's never played a pro game anyway. I doubt he's under the cloak of silence Mueller was, and even if he was there is someone out there close to him that would say a few words.

If Woodward and Bernstein can find someone to give up dirt on Nixon covering up crimes, Dater can dig up some info on Joey friggin Hishon. Just kind of annoys me that he's basically the only reporter covering the Avalanche except for a few tidbits from Chambers, and he just seems to do nothing but ***** about players, or other team's coaches, or internet connections, or hotel rooms, or any other thing that doesn't involve spending time doing any actual reporting.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:14 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's key, but it will definitely help compensate for potential losses to Jones, and maybe Hejduk and Mueller in the near future, as well as likely missing out on any top UFA forwards.

I also have a feeling he will mesh will with Duchene and finally be that offensive winger that he develops chemistry with.
no it's key, we're a young team and we cannot afford to have any misses of top picks. we need the luck of all of them panning out so that it builds depth and eventually once you get a deeply talented team someone will break out as a franchise player and hopefully a top 20 NHL star.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Dater doesn't do any work because nobody at the post really cares. There's a reason they have let a bum be the team beat writer for forever. I suspect they are happy with just having a warm body covering the team, and I'm sure Dater is a good soldier for the paper.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:02 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
I didn't think he had his number in his phone. That's what being a reporter is, or used to be anyway though.

Talk to his agent, ask if he'll talk to him for a couple minutes, or ask his agent if he'll give him a couple quotes, or quit being lazy and do some actual reporting and see if you can dig up some people close to the Owen Sound team, or friends of his.

There's never any stories on the Post's site that seem like they took longer than 5 minutes to get some info off HF Boards or Twitter or some other site, and do a write up. The Avs are notoriously tight lipped for sure, but that doesn't mean they're the only one a reporter has to talk to.

Hishon's only a member of the Avs organization as a prospect that's never played a pro game anyway. I doubt he's under the cloak of silence Mueller was, and even if he was there is someone out there close to him that would say a few words.

If Woodward and Bernstein can find someone to give up dirt on Nixon covering up crimes, Dater can dig up some info on Joey friggin Hishon. Just kind of annoys me that he's basically the only reporter covering the Avalanche except for a few tidbits from Chambers, and he just seems to do nothing but ***** about players, or other team's coaches, or internet connections, or hotel rooms, or any other thing that doesn't involve spending time doing any actual reporting.
My assessment over the years of watching and reading about the Avs is that ANY PLAYER signed to a contract is restricted from talking to the media about any injury, doesn't matter if he's a prospect.

And it's entirely possible that Dater HAS talked to him (albeit unlikely) and that anything that was said was said "Off the Record".

But I will give you that, it is frustrating that the Avs are so secretive, and therefore the Reporters are seemingly not giving a damn, because they know that they'll never get any "real" information anyway

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Dater doesn't do any work because nobody at the post really cares. There's a reason they have let a bum be the team beat writer for forever. I suspect they are happy with just having a warm body covering the team, and I'm sure Dater is a good soldier for the paper.
There really is no outside "demand" for good Avalanche writing in Denver, to be honest. Coverage of the sports teams (outside of the Broncos) is dependent on the success the team is having. Back in the day the Avalanche were covered very well. Think about the Nuggets or heck, Rockies (minus the Blake Street Bombers era), for that matter during the Avs' hay-day. Both teams were poorly covered. Now flip it- the Nuggets were the "hot ticket" team for the past few seasons and the Avalanche trailed off on the ice. Coverage switched. Until the Avalanche start WINNING, coverage will be poor. The Denver fans are not the only ones guilty of bandwagoning.

It sucks and it is stupid, but it is pretty clear that is what is going on. ...not to mention written news is quickly dying. Quality of journalism is going down the tube at a breakneck pace all over the globe.

As for Hishon, the Avalanche are tight-lipped when it comes to injuries, contracts, etc. It doesn't surprise me Dater (or anyone else for that matter) has no extra information concerning Joey.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Now that Hishon is somewhat back on track for his development where do you guys see him in 3-5 years and what do you think his max potential is?

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Now that Hishon is somewhat back on track for his development where do you guys see him in 3-5 years and what do you think his max potential is?
If he stays healthy he should be a borderline 1st line player, you just can't deny his talent level, the main question (aside from health) is can he make a successful transition from center to wing. His max potential is somewhere around prime Briere IMHO, he actually reminds me a lot of him (small highly skilled playmaker that plays with an edge).

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
If he can stay healthy and make the transition from center to wing, due to our center depth, I see him as a 2nd line player, boarderline 1st line.

There's just that big 'IF' attached to him though.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If he stays healthy he should be a borderline 1st line player, you just can't deny his talent level, the main question (aside from health) is can he make a successful transition from center to wing. His max potential is somewhere around prime Briere IMHO, he actually reminds me a lot of him (small highly skilled playmaker that plays with an edge).
I see more of MSL in terms of playing style but he does play with Briere type nastiness. I see him 70-ppg player.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
no it's key, we're a young team and we cannot afford to have any misses of top picks. we need the luck of all of them panning out so that it builds depth and eventually once you get a deeply talented team someone will break out as a franchise player and hopefully a top 20 NHL star.
Maybe we have different definitions of "key" but I take that to mean Hishon being on the team will make or break the Avs chances at a cup or being a contending team. To me they could find another winger via trade to contribute what he would do stats wise. Maybe if they didn't already have offensive players like Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Downie, McGinn who are all likely good for at least 40 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
My assessment over the years of watching and reading about the Avs is that ANY PLAYER signed to a contract is restricted from talking to the media about any injury, doesn't matter if he's a prospect.

And it's entirely possible that Dater HAS talked to him (albeit unlikely) and that anything that was said was said "Off the Record".

But I will give you that, it is frustrating that the Avs are so secretive, and therefore the Reporters are seemingly not giving a damn, because they know that they'll never get any "real" information anyway
Like I said, even if Hishon was restricted from talking, there are other people a credible reporter would find to give them a scoop on how he was doing to pass that info onto the fans that are constantly wondering and looking for details on him.

Dater talking to him off the record isn't good enough, he should have done what I suggested in the first paragraph if that's the case. Agents, friends, relatives, Owen Sound personel, reporters in his home town. Don't just make a story out of twitter posts that everyone else can already see. It's lazy.

Dater just doesn't give a crap because there's no competition, and no one threatening his job. He's been there too long to have to prove himself, and no other paper covers the Avalanche so he can do whatever he wants.