HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Old
05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
TUCKER 06

vCash: 500
my previous post made me think of the fishbowl I used to rock when I was a kid (I'm talking 10yrs old). Back then those things were the coolest thanks in part to the Mighty Ducks movies. That, and IMO, it was the next best thing to a visor.

Now a days I think they are the ugliest piece of equipment a guy can own. 2nd ugliest is the half-cage-half visor (although I do see the practicality in those).

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Yeah, I mean these were all subject to discretion. Generally you can tell if someone is "that guy" with a full tuck or just some guy with a full tuck.
I call him Ovechkin.

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
my previous post made me think of the fishbowl I used to rock when I was a kid (I'm talking 10yrs old). Back then those things were the coolest thanks in part to the Mighty Ducks movies. That, and IMO, it was the next best thing to a visor.

Now a days I think they are the ugliest piece of equipment a guy can own. 2nd ugliest is the half-cage-half visor (although I do see the practicality in those).
I used to use a half cage half visor. It was ok, but I actually felt that a gunmetal or white cage offered better visibility. A uniform bar pattern made it easier to look past the bars, whereas the half and half was kind of jarringly obvious when you looked down.

I hate the fishbowls, they fog up and feel too constricting. I need that breeze on my face.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ovi untucked the jersey in the playoffs at one point and ditched the mirrored visor for clear. What are we going to do if he swaps to white laces?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I used to use a half cage half visor. It was ok, but I actually felt that a gunmetal or white cage offered better visibility. A uniform bar pattern made it easier to look past the bars, whereas the half and half was kind of jarringly obvious when you looked down.

I hate the fishbowls, they fog up and feel too constricting. I need that breeze on my face.
That was my experience. Half visors for me even were fogged up. When my cage rusted out, I tried a fishbowl for one practice, went right back to the store and exchanged for the 9900 cage. The bowl was just fog and hot air. 9900 cage with the thin bars is awesome.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Nbr-17

I never chirp anybody for gear...but I came close to it over the last couple of weeks.
Our first game this summer season we play this team and there is one guy who can hardly skate...whipes out all by himself and is wearing #8 and the mirrored visor
Really enjoyed taking the puck off him every chance I got

Then this week we play this team who's wearing Oilers jersey and one ****** is wearing #99...suffice it to say that he also got the 'special' treatment

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
If you don't want weak items to break, don't buy weak items. I use an aluminum, myself Tried a composite and the thing broke in 10 games. Screw that.
The only "weak" sticks I've ever used is Bauer. I've had my Warrior AK27's since January, play a few times a week and both have held up pretty well.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I never chirp anybody for gear...but I came close to it over the last couple of weeks.
Our first game this summer season we play this team and there is one guy who can hardly skate...whipes out all by himself and is wearing #8 and the mirrored visor
Really enjoyed taking the puck off him every chance I got

Then this week we play this team who's wearing Oilers jersey and one ****** is wearing #99...suffice it to say that he also got the 'special' treatment
Do you play shinny at Iceland?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
TUCKER 06

I play pick-up with a guy who rocks the Gretzky LA Kings jersey & socks. He's a decent player, but I'm pretty sure that's a no-no.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Do you play shinny at Iceland?
No...I'm at work during that time

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
When I played (90s) my list of stuff that would make me actively target a player was as follows:

T Blades
Composite sticks until they were normal (Prepare to have your stick broken)
Back of socks pulled down over the heel of skates
Sweater fully tucked at back
Those ugly CCM Leader visors
Any type of stupid stick tape (camo, flag, flames, multicoloured, whatever)

I wasn't much for chirping, but I'd run at you all game if you had any of these. I can only imagine 14 year old me seeing a mirrored visor.
Your coach must have loved having you run around after people because of what they were wearing during the game...

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
clayman

Some of these are good reasons, but I really can't see chirping someone who has matching jersey and socks for pro teams. I have black gloves, pants and helmet but besides some practice jerseys have a Coyotes and Flyers jersey/socks combo with no logo, and a few others I've collected since the early 1970's, all with just my number.. My old game jerseys for teams I've played on with my name etc on stay in the closet. With jersey/socks combos I like they way they look and to me it's better then guys who try to look so much like they dont care, as in two different socks, different jersey and sometimes gloves that they look like morons! The guys who dress like there favorite player from head to toe and can't skate for ****, who frickin cares! They're doing what they love and if they can afford the cool stuff more power to them! With that said, would I? Not a chance, but I don't even wear a game jersey to pro games to represent. I'm pretty incognito and that's my taste.

I will admit some guys make me chuckle with there stuff but you can tell they're proud of it and themselves so who the heck am I to say I'm above it? I just smile and do what I do. In all my years playing as a kid to young adult, then as a player starting again at age 52 I have never been chirped. In fact when I joined this site I had never even heard the term and had to ask what the heck it was! lol..

Okay, one last thing before I climb off my soapbox... What's up with chirping someone for tying there laces around there ankles? Are you serious? lol.. Back when I started we did that as all skates were made of leather and it helped add to the rigidity. Chirpable??

One more one last thing... What's up with the huge debate about visors and cages? As a kid we only had helmets back in the day, nothing else. When I turned 18 I stopped wearing a helmet altogether. Hell, if it was good enough for Bobby Orr then why not! lol.. Now I choose to wear a cage, and really don't care what anyone thinks, I like my teeth and eyes where they are! lol..if someone wants to wear a bandana wrapped around they're face with a pasta strainer on there head, more power to them-it's there choice! Okay, that one might be chirpable!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219

I'm going to definitely rock one of these

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post

That's either a paintball mask or something off a StarWars character

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Some of these are good reasons, but I really can't see chirping someone who has matching jersey and socks for pro teams. I have black gloves, pants and helmet but besides some practice jerseys have a Coyotes and Flyers jersey/socks combo with no logo, and a few others I've collected since the early 1970's, all with just my number.. My old game jerseys for teams I've played on with my name etc on stay in the closet. With jersey/socks combos I like they way they look and to me it's better then guys who try to look so much like they dont care, as in two different socks, different jersey and sometimes gloves that they look like morons! The guys who dress like there favorite player from head to toe and can't skate for ****, who frickin cares! They're doing what they love and if they can afford the cool stuff more power to them! With that said, would I? Not a chance, but I don't even wear a game jersey to pro games to represent. I'm pretty incognito and that's my taste.

I will admit some guys make me chuckle with there stuff but you can tell they're proud of it and themselves so who the heck am I to say I'm above it? I just smile and do what I do. In all my years playing as a kid to young adult, then as a player starting again at age 52 I have never been chirped. In fact when I joined this site I had never even heard the term and had to ask what the heck it was! lol..

Okay, one last thing before I climb off my soapbox... What's up with chirping someone for tying there laces around there ankles? Are you serious? lol.. Back when I started we did that as all skates were made of leather and it helped add to the rigidity. Chirpable??

One more one last thing... What's up with the huge debate about visors and cages? As a kid we only had helmets back in the day, nothing else. When I turned 18 I stopped wearing a helmet altogether. Hell, if it was good enough for Bobby Orr then why not! lol.. Now I choose to wear a cage, and really don't care what anyone thinks, I like my teeth and eyes where they are! lol..if someone wants to wear a bandana wrapped around they're face with a pasta strainer on there head, more power to them-it's there choice! Okay, that one might be chirpable!
If you dress in all pro team gear and you don't play for a pro team, you look like a dork, end of story. Wearing matching gear doesn't look bad, I have an old jersey from a team I played for and some Blackhawks colors socks to match, but I would never suit up in a full set of Blackhawks gear because it would look ridiculous.

Some of the people that are complaining about chirping just don't understand what it is. It's not like you go around to anyone who has weird gear and just berate them constantly. It's something you rib your teammates about or use to needle an insufferable plug. If a guy is just having fun and he happens to be wearing chrome skates and a mirrored visor, you leave him alone, maybe chuckle to yourself. If he's being a total ******** about things, then you hassle him.

Case in point: I played public hockey with a dude that had the colored inserts for his Reebok helmet. He was crying about someone "slashing" his hand, so I asked him if he picked the colors on his helmet to match his purse. Simple, yet effective at conveying the message that he needs to shut the hell up.

About the cages: most people don't give a damn. It's usually the people who wear cages that think anything else is reckless and stupid. I personally don't care what a person chooses to wear to protect their face. I wear a visor because I like the visibility and freedom it offers.

Last edited by hockeymass: 05-30-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 08:00 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post

That's the Recon. I have the FX-50 which is the previous generation and uses a metal wire cage instead of a plastic one. The Recon isn't made anymore, so if you want one, get it now. I prefer to stick on my FX-50. IMHO, the Recon would make me look too weird.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Your coach must have loved having you run around after people because of what they were wearing during the game...
They seemed fine about it. It's not like I was chasing them around the ice - I'd just make sure not to give up a chance.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Halfshot21
Rookie User

Quote:
Some of the people that are complaining about chirping just don't understand what it is. It's not like you go around to anyone who has weird gear and just berate them constantly. It's something you rib your teammates about or use to needle an insufferable plug. If a guy is just having fun and he happens to be wearing chrome skates and a mirrored visor, you leave him alone, maybe chuckle to yourself. If he's being a total ******** about things, then you hassle him.

Haha, exaaactly. Couldn't care less what color laces people are using but if you act like a ****, it's just ammo at that point.

I wore the pink laces during breast cancer awareness month with a few others incorporating pink in their gear. We raised some money for a charity among the players and the significant others who always come to watch. Not once did I get chirped about the laces the entire month. Granted, it was for a good cause but people I played against didn't know that. You really gotta open yourself open to get chirped at I guess?

Halfshot21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
That's the Recon. I have the FX-50 which is the previous generation and uses a metal wire cage instead of a plastic one. The Recon isn't made anymore, so if you want one, get it now. I prefer to stick on my FX-50. IMHO, the Recon would make me look too weird.
I feel like the combos look weird in general, but i'd still probably wear one if i could find it.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:52 AM
clayman

Quote:
If you dress in all pro team gear and you don't play for a pro team, you look like a dork, end of story. Wearing matching gear doesn't look bad, I have an old jersey from a team I played for and some Blackhawks colors socks to match, but I would never suit up in a full set of Blackhawks gear because it would look ridiculous.

Case in point: I played public hockey with a dude that had the colored inserts for his Reebok helmet. He was crying about someone "slashing" his hand, so I asked him if he picked the colors on his helmet to match his purse. Simple, yet effective at conveying the message that he needs to shut the hell up.

About the cages: most people don't give a damn. It's usually the people who wear cages that think anything else is reckless and stupid. I personally don't care what a person chooses to wear to protect their face. I wear a visor because I like the visibility and freedom it offers.
I actually agree with most everything you said.. If someone's being a jerk then they deserve to be messed with, it's part of it. If they look funny, I just appreciate the comedic relief! It's all supposed to be about fun anyway! As far as the cages I like the idea behind mine but to each there own. Same thing in offroad motorcycle racing, some guys wear all the protective gear they can, and some don't. No right and no wrong. At the end of the day, we were all still racers.

As far as the matching socks and jerseys, I don't think that makes you a dork personally and if that's what some people think, who cares? lol.. Maybe full pro kit with logos and team gear is a bit much but I think that socks and jerseys look better if they match. I sure as heck wouldn't wear a full Coyotes kit with there gloves, helmet, etc. with Doans name on the back, as for one I'm not Doan, and I sure as heck can't play like him either! lol.. It doesn't mean I won't wear my Coyotes stuff to practice in though! On that note, I couldn't imagine wearing a team jersey to a pro game either, so to each there own!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:23 AM
Wooty

It is strange that some gear looks dated and old fashioned. Those old cages that used to be on goalie masks always look weird when a forward has it on his helmet, but I don't really want to make enemies for no reason. People have their own situation, their own health issue, their own financial situations.

Chirping is what you do to others and it is all in good fun because you are doing it to them. I find that many of the chirpers become very defensive when it is done back to them.

Why bother making anyone unhappy?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:15 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
It is strange that some gear looks dated and old fashioned. Those old cages that used to be on goalie masks always look weird when a forward has it on his helmet, but I don't really want to make enemies for no reason. People have their own situation, their own health issue, their own financial situations.

Chirping is what you do to others and it is all in good fun because you are doing it to them. I find that many of the chirpers become very defensive when it is done back to them.

Because it brings a false sense of satisfaction to some people.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
hockeymass

Quote:

That's why I said you don't just go up to random people and do it. Save it for someone who's being a jackass.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:00 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

I noticed it's also guys who are easy targets:beginners, guys who can't skate, etc.. If somebody looks like they'll punch you in the face if you chirp at them I guarantee they wear what they want and nobody says a peep to them. And to be fair if you're new to the sport how do you know all these unwritten rules about hockey style?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
steev182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I noticed it's also guys who are easy targets:beginners, guys who can't skate, etc.. If somebody looks like they'll punch you in the face if you chirp at them I guarantee they wear what they want and nobody says a peep to them. And to be fair if you're new to the sport how do you know all these unwritten rules about hockey style?
Yeah, so far at Stick & Pucks and Clinics, I haven't been chirped, and I think I'd be pretty chirpable. Not only am I wearing red gloves and pants, I'm also English in Queens, NY and am not a great skater yet! If anything, they give some decent encouragement. Maybe that'll change when I start playing drop ins and leagues, but so far the other players have been good to me.

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote