HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Taking the Devils to 7 games

Old
05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Jedi

vCash: 500
Even Devils' fans respect your team a ton. You guys played great against us. The PP numbers were definitely anomalous, however your team did play great on the PP. The Rangers did decent on the PP against us but they weren't doing anything special, they got some fortunate goals. Your team truly dominated us on the PP and earned their goals. You got a good young team, you'll probably get some division titles in the next few years if your coaching staff can do well at player development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
We went 7 with the Devils because the Cats are a good team. Not to mention, the Devils are also always the luckiest team in the league. Ive never seen so many posts at big times, someone swiping at the puck to an empty night and missing the puck completely, so many non-calls and so many blind saves. Its been this way for a long time with the Devils but no one realizes it. If you dont believe me, just pay extra attention those things while watching them and you'll see. They are just a slightly above average team who plays with a 10 minute spurt where they get some goals and then get outplayed the rest of the game.
Haha, this is not true at all In the Rangers series, it was the Rangers that actually got the better share of the luck. They had some really flukey goals. The officiating was horrific both ways, neither team gained an advantage from that.

In the Flyers series luck played little role either way, we totally dominated the play there.

Against you guys I agree, we were VERY lucky to beat you guys. But you guys would have been lucky to beat us too. That series was as close as it gets.

Quote:
Um, sorry, no. What I said is true. I live in NJ and watch a ton of Devils games.
Well then you surely aren't watching very closely, because like the other guy said you really could not possibly be more wrong If he were on you're team, you'd love him. Kovy is universally acknowledged as a great teammate (both his Atlanta and NJ teammates all agree on this), plus he's a tough guy with lots of heart. Many don't realize just how badly injured he is right now, yet he's still scoring at a PPG pace, and he's doing all the little things and winning physical battles too. He'll make the dumb giveaway now and then but that's the only major critique Devils fans have of his game. He's terrific, he really he. Very likable superstar. Not a primadonna whatsoever. Devils fans are not at all the type to give a free pass to a guy who is lazy or a floater, and Kovy is anything but that.

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I didn't know if it would be appropriate to stop by cause it would have seemed like I was throwing it in your faces. I see it's already being talked about though.

Aside from being shutout by the Rangers in our two losses in that series the Panthers were by far our most challenging team this playoffs! The Panthers gave the Devils the most problems. Half our losses are from the Panthers!

That team you got there is a hell of a team I have to say.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

One more thing I would like to add. Before this series a lot of Devils fans liked the matchup with the Panthers. Thought we matched up well with them cause of our regular season record. Truth is the Panthers aside from Boston who swept us were the only non divisional team to beat us more than once in regulation this season. Toronto beat us once in regulation, and once in a shootout. That big lead we blew in game 3? That was not the first time that happened against you guys this season. Even game 1 we were lucky to get out of there without you guys tying it. Our first game together this season the Devils scored 3 goals in the first, and wound up losing 4-3.

We never had a problem with Philly catching up against us in that series, and Philly caught up against Pittsburgh from big leads a few times in their series. I felt the Devils protected leads very well late in the game vs Philly, and against the Rangers early in the series. The Rangers were falling behind, and playing with the most desperation when they tied us after 3-0, and 2-0 leads in the last two games of the series. So Florida matched up with the Devils very good, and a lot of what was happening in the playoffs happened between us in the regular season too!

Old
05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Tundra

The Florida blueline is very underrated. Even Strachan played well when he was inserted. If you examine our 3 postseason opponents, ultimately your team's defensemen held up the best against our forecheck.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Cats2TheCup

[QUOTE=NJ_CATS_FAN;50174301]the Devils are also always the luckiest team in the league. Ive never seen so many posts at big times, someone swiping at the puck to an empty night and missing the puck completely, so many non-calls and so many blind saves. Its been this way for a long time with the Devils but no one realizes it. If you dont believe me, just pay extra attention those things while watching them and you'll see.

It's because they have truly sold their souls to the Devil.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Ive just never liked him. Hes a one way player, a puck hog, a floater, I just dont like him, even back in the Atlanta days. There is just an aura around him that I just cant stand.
Dude. Yes. The guy just seems so obnoxious. Just look at his contract and you can tell. I get the same vibe from his aura as well, and I think that's where most of that comes from. I don't know him personally, and so I can't say it's any other thing. Maybe he just has one of those faces? Always have felt that way about him though.. Nail Yakupov has the same kind of vibe too, but he's just not as introverted.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:55 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Except that the Devils are still saying it now.

For whatever reason, we were a much bigger test for them than the Flyers. And we took them farther than the Rangers.

You can say the PP #'s were an anamoly (and really, to be fair, they were), but you can't fully discredit our execution on those PP's either that kept us in games and in the series.

We gave them a series. 7 games and it took 2 OT's in the 7th game to beat us.
If it was simply the Devils beating themselves, they sure did do a good job considering they very well could've lost that series. It actually took a fluke goal in double OT of game 7 to win it.

Their hall of fame goalie and their coach don't seem to think what you think.

It's one thing to say "hey, good series but you still lost" right after a series; it's another thing to say it months later. We clearly earned their respect, whether you agree with it or not.
i can't find the story now but there was an interview with deboer last week where he basically said they were tentative in the first round, started to find their footing in the second round and were in a groove in the third round (and they needed to be against the rangers). this was on espn. that pretty much says it all. i've found other quotes where he's blowing smoke but the quote i'm talking about pretty much lays bare the bottom line.

the point i'm trying to make is that it doesn't go to game 7 if they are playing the way they are playing now. it might not even go 5. as it was, they were extremely lucky to get out of that series and as i said at the time, we should've beaten them - they were extremely vulnerable. i don't think we get past philly but the east looks a lot different now if we knock them off. as it is, the better team and better coached team luckily slipped past us and now is playing the type of hockey that might bring home the cup. but the quotes are out there as i mentioned above.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i can't find the story now but there was an interview with deboer last week where he basically said they were tentative in the first round, started to find their footing in the second round and were in a groove in the third round (and they needed to be against the rangers). this was on espn. that pretty much says it all. i've found other quotes where he's blowing smoke but the quote i'm talking about pretty much lays bare the bottom line.

the point i'm trying to make is that it doesn't go to game 7 if they are playing the way they are playing now. it might not even go 5. as it was, they were extremely lucky to get out of that series and as i said at the time, we should've beaten them - they were extremely vulnerable. i don't think we get past philly but the east looks a lot different now if we knock them off. as it is, the better team and better coached team luckily slipped past us and now is playing the type of hockey that might bring home the cup. but the quotes are out there as i mentioned above.
Never Satisfied? Will you not give this team an ounce of credit? Nor our rookie coach? Come on now. Surely the devils are playing better now but this panthers team was excellent all series long. The only reason we lost this series was the first 10 minutes of game 1. Other than that our pp was outstanding, our goaltending was astounding, defense was terrific, and everyone contributed on offense.

I find it hypocritical that you say the better team and the better coach Luckily won.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:28 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
...feels like even more of an accomplishment now!
Great post great thread. coming from 3 goals down, playing game 6 & 7 in OT's etc.

Happy STH excited for next yr ...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Another thing I wanted to mention about you guys team is people looked too much at the end of the regular season. The Panthers were in a slump, and didn't look that good at the end of the regular season. The Kings didn't either, and they barely even made the playoffs, and are in the Finals now! The Devils had a similar slump mid to late March where we lost like 5 of 6 or something, and then won 6 in a row.

When the playoffs start anything can happen, and it doesn't matter if you slumped toward the end of the regular season. I think the Panthers came prepared for the playoffs! I think they made the most out of their opportunity unlike a team like the Sharks. A lot of teams slumped late in the season like Ottawa who also did well in the first round taking the Rangers to 7 games! I was impressed by the Panthers in the playoffs, and I think it will be a good next season! Just smash the Canes around for us please!

Old
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Never Satisfied? Will you not give this team an ounce of credit? Nor our rookie coach? Come on now. Surely the devils are playing better now but this panthers team was excellent all series long. The only reason we lost this series was the first 10 minutes of game 1. Other than that our pp was outstanding, our goaltending was astounding, defense was terrific, and everyone contributed on offense.

I find it hypocritical that you say the better team and the better coach Luckily won.
i've said it before but let me be clear - i'm completely satisfied with this season. i think a playoff berth and 7 game series was more than expected.

looking at things objectively, discussing weaknesses and where we need to improve is unacceptable? we didn't lose that series because of the first 10 minutes of game 1. had we played better at the start, the series would've taken a different shape and would've been a different beast. anyhow, we played poorly to start other games in the series as well. it was just a wonky series where neither team was at their best (we were far from excellent). either team, as a result, would've been lucky to move on. as it was, the better of the teams (on paper) won the series. i happen to think they were the better coached team and i base that not only on their team play and compete level (better than us overall in the series but not by a wide margin) but on the fact they weren't being penalized for too many men, giving up big goals on bad changes or making the same coverage mistakes on defense they made all season long.

just because i'm looking at the season critically now, doesn't mean i'm not satisfied. well, i'll admit i was critical during the season some as well but in my opinion, it was justified. sure, tallon is talking a good "satisfied" game now but behind closed doors, with dineen and staff, do you think he's kicking his feet up and smoking cigars? he's not taking any pride in the fact we lost in 7 to the devils because he knows we weren't good enough and didn't play well enough. and he's thinking about how he can change that.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote