HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snider Talks about Bryzgalov; Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”

Old
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Why would Nashville want Gustafsson? They would laugh at that deal while hanging up the phone.
They'd laugh at more value than Mike Richards/Jeff Carter got?

They may want more, but they'd hardly laugh.

Last edited by TMI: 05-30-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: personal
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

with the very real prospect of weber leaving, i doubt they are laughing at all.

Last edited by TMI: 05-30-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: edited quote
tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
With the recent history of Flyers making huge splashes in the offseason, it really would not surprise me if they made a ridiculous trade offer to get Weber (which I am fine with...I would pretty much give up anyone except Giroux or Couturier (and maybe not Schenn) to get Weber). It also wouldn't surprise me if they did very little this offseason because of all the huge splashes they have made recently.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
with the very real prospect of weber leaving, i doubt they are laughing at all.
They've all but lost Suter as it stands now, which I guess sucks.

They have enough cap space to sign Suter, Weber, and Parise. With Rinne, that could cement their organization as a legitimate postseason contender for years to come.

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work out for them. They're likely going to have to start over from the draft again.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Tripod

Quote:
They've all but lost Suter as it stands now, which I guess sucks.

They have enough cap space to sign Suter, Weber, and Parise. With Rinne, that could cement their organization as a legitimate postseason contender for years to come.

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work out for them. They're likely going to have to start over from the draft again.
This is what Philly could do. Tell Nashville we want both of them. For Suter's rights and Weber we give them:
Carle's rights, Mez-replaces 2 D-spots
JVR...who played with Wison in University
+ 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd if Suter signs with us.
Harry Z...4th line tweener or a 3rd rounder...Nashville's choice

So it's Suter's rights for Carl's rights and possible a 2nd
Weber for Mez, JVR, 1st, 3rd or Harry Z

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Gustafsson is a nice young defenseman. But I doubt he would be the first 2 or 3 young players Nashville would ask for in a return to land Weber.
There are plenty of other teams who could blow the Flyers away if Nashville was looking for young defenseman in return plus high picks.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
With the recent history of Flyers making huge splashes in the offseason, it really would not surprise me if they made a ridiculous trade offer to get Weber (which I am fine with...I would pretty much give up anyone except Giroux or Couturier (and maybe not Schenn) to get Weber). It also wouldn't surprise me if they did very little this offseason because of all the huge splashes they have made recently.
So what you're saying is that you have no clue what to expect?

That sounds about right.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Gustafsson is a nice young defenseman. But I doubt he would be the first 2 or 3 young players Nashville would ask for in a return to land Weber.
There are plenty of other teams who could blow the Flyers away if Nashville was looking for young defenseman in return plus high picks.
Young defensemen Nashville can always get. Forwards is another story, and we have the market cornered on young forwards.

So maybe not Gustafsson; maybe Wellwood. Different player, same point.

That said, the idea of trading for both Weber and Suter has me intrigued.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Young defensemen Nashville can always get. Forwards is another story, and we have the market cornered on young forwards.

trading for Weber will rip apart whatever depth the Flyers have. Since we dont have any top end young defenseman, I would have to think Nashville is looking for JVR and Schenn. Suter wouldnt cost much. Maybe Carle's rights and a 3rd.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Frankly that prospect has me frightened. Holmgren did a great job with Carter and Richards but another ballsy move is tempting the gods of hubris IMO. I'm afraid of the ramifications in reconstituting the team for those two and moreover it just seems highly unlikely. Then again last offseason's trades seemed inconceivable..at least trading both Carter and Richards.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Frankly that prospect has me frightened. Holmgren did a great job with Carter and Richards but another ballsy move is tempting the gods of hubris IMO. I'm afraid of the ramifications in reconstituting the team for those two and moreover is just seems highly unlikely. Then again last offseason's trades seemed inconceivable..at least trading both Carter and Richards.
The difference is last year we had people paying us for players. In this case we'd be paying. Would it really be worth it? I think not. I think it would gut the team.

05-30-2012, 12:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
The difference is last year we had people paying us for players. In this case we'd be paying. Would it really be worth it? I think not. I think it would gut the team.
Paid us? I didn't know theft was now classified as a legal transaction among two parties even if one of them was a "willing" participant.

I suspect Howson in particular was on the same stuff that naked cannibal from Miami who growled and chewed that homeless man's face off like a Chimpanzee ....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
TheKingPin

I was thinking that Snieder may have said this stuff publicly to let suter know we are very interested and to not sign with Nashville until after FA. Tampering but not enough to get in trouble. I like it!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
So what you're saying is that you have no clue what to expect?

That sounds about right.
Pretty much. I mean I think it is clear that someone will be brought in on defense. I think that is a given. But because of all the recent shakeups, it wouldn't surprise me if they went big and did something drastic, or if they just bring in a guy who is better than one of the young guys but nothing real special. You also have the possibility, however unlikely it may seem, that they don't go after defense and go after a guy like Parise. It really is anyone's guess at this point. Not just because it is the offseason and there are a lot of variables, but because of how unpredictable the Flyers have been in recent years.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I could very easily see the Flyers not doing a complete overhaul to the D, but doing something like partnering up an offensive d-man with a defensive d-man. For instance, say they sign Barret Jackman. You could put Jackman on a pairing with Timonen, where Timonen would be the offensive guy and Jackman is the defensive guy. That could save a lot of wear and tear on Timonen. You can then keep Grossmann and Coburn together, where Coburn would be able to play in a more offensive role (people often forget that in Coburn's first full season in Philadelphia, he scored 36 points and seemed to be on his way to becoming a solid offensive contributor). The third pairing, the Flyers could then use Meszaros and then sign a guy like Scott Hannan and you've got your third pair of an offensive d-man with a stay at home d-man. I look at that D and there's no reason to believe that that isn't a very capable D group.

Jackman - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
Meszaros - Hannan

It could be worthwhile investigating it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
VanSciver

Quote:

It's a figure of speech meant to illustrate how poor of a choice the inclusion of Gustafsson was in your offer. Gustafsson wouldn't have much value to Nashville. He is a decent NHL defenseman prospect at best. Other teams could easily beat that part of the offer. And Richards and Carter weren't elite superstar players. Weber is arguably the best player at his position in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
No question.

Quote:

Wellwood is as bad of a choice as Gustafsson is. So yea, the point is the same. You need to make a better offer if you want Weber. But I hope your right. I hope Nashville wants Gustafsson and Wellwood. Hell I'll throw both of them in there.

Last edited by TMI: 05-30-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: edited quote
VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I'm for bringing Jackman in. I'd be in favor of that

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

id pass on Jackman.
I am glad Oduya is off the market. I would of been scared to have him on the market with money to spend.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I could very easily see the Flyers not doing a complete overhaul to the D, but doing something like partnering up an offensive d-man with a defensive d-man. For instance, say they sign Barret Jackman. You could put Jackman on a pairing with Timonen, where Timonen would be the offensive guy and Jackman is the defensive guy. That could save a lot of wear and tear on Timonen. You can then keep Grossmann and Coburn together, where Coburn would be able to play in a more offensive role (people often forget that in Coburn's first full season in Philadelphia, he scored 36 points and seemed to be on his way to becoming a solid offensive contributor). The third pairing, the Flyers could then use Meszaros and then sign a guy like Scott Hannan and you've got your third pair of an offensive d-man with a stay at home d-man. I look at that D and there's no reason to believe that that isn't a very capable D group.

Jackman - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
Meszaros - Hannan

Would be awesome to get Suter, but I was talking to a friend this weekend about the idea of picking up Jackman. It's not a bad second option. I don't have a problem with Hannan but it might make more financial sense and development sense to leave the sixth spot for one of out young guys.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Do exactly what worked in 2010...create a deep forward core for Laviolette to work with along with two legit #1 defensemen?
Give him great players and he'll almost win!

Nice endorsement...

Quote:
Your anti-Lavi shtick is getting old.
Just because you cannot understand it doesn't make it schtick.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
He didn't say that he wants a team focused on defense. He said he wants the General Manager to focus on upgrading the defense/replacing Pronger.
You couldn't fit a sliver of paper between the two.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

As per just about 90% of the board would say:

Bring in Suter.

If that doesn't happen I can see us pursuing Shultz.

If that doesn't happen as been mentioned on this thread - going after

B. Jackman
or
B. Allen
or
Both

both are physical and are more geared toward the stay at home style.

So I guess I'd like to see (pending on Suter) grab one of the 2 vets mentioned AND get Shultz <-- this may better us for contracts and space in the long run, but then again Kimmo isn't getting any younger - I don't envy Homer and what he needs to try and do.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Jackman - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
Meszaros - Hannan

This D severely lacks mobility and puck moving.
People will wish Carle back at the 20-game-mark with this kind of D.

Imo Timonen won't play be a huge factor next season, so we need someone else who can a) move the puck b) quarterback the PP c) anchor the PK d) play excellent D.
Suter is does everything and while I think Weber would be the best possible acquisition to make with Pronger out from regarding being tough to play against I think Suter makes more sense.

dookie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I really don't see Nashville trading Weber. If he really wants to bolt then Poile would be wiser to simply let a team give him an offer sheet. If it's a high enough dollar amount, take the picks. If it isn't just match and retain him anyway. Trade him later under contract so he has more value, and if it's a low enough cap hit to avoid the compensation being 4 1sts then whoever gets Weber in a trade is further pleased.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I really don't see Nashville trading Weber. If he really wants to bolt then Poile would be wiser to simply let a team give him an offer sheet. If it's a high enough dollar amount, take the picks. If it isn't just match and retain him anyway. Trade him later under contract so he has more value, and if it's a low enough cap hit to avoid the compensation being 4 1sts then whoever gets Weber in a trade is further pleased.
If everyone knows he wants to leave, which would be shown by him only being willing to sign a 1 yr QO this year, then most likely teams will wait. Teams don't often use qualifying offers. If Weber doesn't want to return to Nashville after Suter leaves, then they probably have to move him before free agency.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote