HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery-Difference Maker?

Old
05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Sean Avery of 2007-08? Sure, he would have probably made a difference against the Devils.

Sean Avery of 2011-12? Absolutely not.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sean Avery of 2007-08? Sure, he would have probably made a difference against the Devils.

Sean Avery of 2011-12? Absolutely not.
This.

The discrepancy between these two Averys is night and day. Avery stopped agitating and started going wrap-around.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Perro

As a King's fan I miss Avery in the NHL however I am glad he is no longer a King. He is such a dissasster in the dressing room. The kings sent him home early after by telling him to just stay home. Kind a similiar.
I hope he comes back next year.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
This.

The discrepancy between these two Averys is night and day. Avery stopped agitating and started going wrap-around.
I think part of the difference between the two was torts. He stated numerous times when he worked for TSN that he did not like Avery. Make sense that he wouldn't play him.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
egelband

i get what you're saying, but...
i think the sean avery ship has sailed. and, to be honest, i like the way this team looks without him. he was a good ranger but that was then. the rangers got whipped fair and square. had they resorted to gimmicks and won, well, i'd certainly have taken it. but i'm fine not going down that road.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
As the question is brought up I will beg to differ from the opinion of most posters here. I do think Avery might have made a difference in the POs against NJD. As this purely is hypothetical - I am not saying he would have. He got shafted by Torts but the team results thereafter kind of spoke for themselves - no? We did lack depth in the POs and Avery might have had a positive effect so yes - I think it was a bit unfortunate Sean was not around. Bu the whole point is moot and it is time to move on to other discussions, we lost and Sean is on the catwalk...

Ummm oops forgot - Sean would NOT have made a difference as his skates were allegedly at the bottom of The Hudson River...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
RangerFanInJersey

The 2007-2008 "Avery rule" Sean Avery would have definitely made a difference in this series. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have, in the very least, gotten under Brodeur's skin and perhaps scored a goal or two. He also would have tormented Kovalchuk. Remember what Avery did to him in the 2007 series with Atlanta?

However this is not the Sean Avery from 2008. This season's version has for all intents and purposes has been neutered. Therefore, the answer is a resounding NO.

RangerFanInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Baby Punisher

As much as I loved Avery on the Rangers he had no future here asong as Torts was coach. I disagreed with him being waived in camp.

We lacked depth & sending him down & out of the organization hurt us come playoff time.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Torts made a mistake not letting him play. Glen brought him back and torts slapped us all there. But hey. Uts done

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

People have to let the Avery thing go.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
As much as I loved Avery on the Rangers he had no future here asong as Torts was coach. I disagreed with him being waived in camp.

We lacked depth & sending him down & out of the organization hurt us come playoff time.
only problem with this statement is that he wasn't sent out of the organization. he chose to leave. for that alone he's a dbag. i didn't like him being sent down--especially with EC staying up, but if he had some class down there he would've been up eventually without a doubt. def would've been up for the playoffs. the fact that he basically quit mid-season screwed everybody in this organization including the fans... but what are you gonna do. it happened. could've made a huge difference against ottawa and new jersey, but he chose to lash out. his own fault.

and i don't see any problem with this thread or sean avery. can't see any coming up next season (though i'm sure somebody will post the pretty obvious 'do we resign avery'). post is relevant to the fact that avery was on this team and could with no doubt have made a difference had he stayed; however, he's out of contract now and there's no point posting about him next season.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
jeeeez

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
only problem with this statement is that he wasn't sent out of the organization. he chose to leave. for that alone he's a dbag. i didn't like him being sent down--especially with EC staying up, but if he had some class down there he would've been up eventually without a doubt. def would've been up for the playoffs. the fact that he basically quit mid-season screwed everybody in this organization including the fans... but what are you gonna do. it happened. could've made a huge difference against ottawa and new jersey, but he chose to lash out. his own fault.

and i don't see any problem with this thread or sean avery. can't see any coming up next season (though i'm sure somebody will post the pretty obvious 'do we resign avery'). post is relevant to the fact that avery was on this team and could with no doubt have made a difference had he stayed; however, he's out of contract now and there's no point posting about him next season.
I think Avery had enough. He was being dicked around. Torts was just loking for any excuse to send him down, the first & second time.

My favorite Tort's quote after he was sent down in the fall. "i'm not trying to kick dirt on Sean avery, but we have better players here than Sean Avery". Well, as it turns out we did not, & um yea Tort's you kicked dirt on him, unziped your fly & took a piss on his grave for good measure.

I don't blame Avery for not wanting to be around any part of this club.

What's done is done. I had not really thought about Avery for a while since this thread came up. I wish him well & I hope he can get his career in the NHL going again.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Kershaw

He is a cancer. When he makes fun at Dustin Brown, one of the league's top captains, you know the player is a cancer. I did not like him even when he trolled Marty. Play the game with same god damn class. I for one, am ecstatic that he will never be a Ranger, despite his 'heroics' in the playoffs.

Philly will sign him. Book it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

We needed a guy LIKE Kovalchuk. Not a guy who can make him upset.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:41 AM
ocarina

I don't understand this idea that Avery was unjustly sent down. He was a 1.9 mil cap hit who was playing at best like an average 4th liner. He was terrible this year, I don't see how anyone could objectively say otherwise.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
blue425

Wait. What? No.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

I actually think a focused Sean Avery could have made a difference in the Devils series. However, I also think he would have made a negative impact throughout the regular season and in the series vs Sens and Caps.

I always liked him as a player, even when most (or half?) others had given up on him, but he was not what was missing from the team this season.

He had a pretty decent camp, looked in great shape and actually had a couple of good games when he came back up, but he was nothing close to consistent. He brought the demise of his Ranger carreer on himself.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

No, the team was fatigued, and Tortarella didn't do a good job of motivating them.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
ck20

Next up: Did we make a mistake letting Kotalik, Kalinin, Dawes, and Wolski go?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

You know who would have been a real difference maker?

Sergio Momesso.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Just when you think the Del Zotto thread is the stupidest you've ever read this one comes along.

Sigh...
hahaha I was thinking the same thing....

get used to it... it's ridiculous off-season thread time...where all the players that got us the #1 seed and to the finals are now garbage and should be traded/bought-out.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

At the rate this is going, we'll still be discussing Avery in 2057

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
NYRangers77

Avery would probably have made a difference. He gets so much hate on here but he would have been effective in this series.. these are the games this guy gave his all for vs the islanders, devils and flyers avery played his best. Who knows what could have happened in this series if he played, hate him if you want but he played hard and loved this team and is a good player.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
EEDAWGZ

We'll never know , personally I don't think Avery is gone because of his talent or lack there of , he's gone because Tort's just flat out hates him , their personalities are too similar for them to get along. I don't know about the other series, but against the Devils , I believe he would have made a difference

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote