HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Need Defence: Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Need Defence: Part VI

Continue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Fail on your part here. Gags was 41st overall for C's in pts (actually tied for 37th).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...e=summary&pg=2

For #2 C's that would place him in the top 10....7th actually if you consider there should be 30 #1 C's.

That would actually make Gagner as a fact a legit #2 C.

To answer your question, he would be the #2 C for at least 20 teams in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Less I'd say....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Appreciate the thought that went into this but Barker has about as much trade value as the dead magpie outside my office building, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The scenario above is horrible for the Oilers, just horrible. Who knows? Columbus could come out of nowhere and compete for a playoff spot next year, you never know in today's NHL and then the Oilers will be stuck with a bunch of mediocre picks and the Jackets will have Yakupov and Murray, awful awful proposal and did i mention that it's awful.
Sure, the Jackets could be awful again next season but it's still too risky to do such a deal.

If there is a deal with Columbus, it will be for a swap of the #1 and #2 picks + maybe a 2nd rounder from Columbus. There is no way that they deal with Columbus without getting the #2 pick, the Oilers brass seems to be infactuated with Murray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i would love to see the oilers move up into the top 10 and get which ever one of Trouba, Reinhart, Dumba falls in the draft, one of them will probably be available around 8-10. not at the expense of the #1 pick though, you pick Yak and move on to the next move, IMO the scouting staff should have their boards working hard on who will be there at 32 because the first pick is done and shouldnt be thought about anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yep...IMO another example of how we as fans can have an idealized notion of what a 2nd line center should be, even though the facts state something altogether different when you actually take the time to look at what the other 29 teams had in place for their 2nd line centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
There is no denying that Gagner has skill. When he's playing with confidence he looks like a first liner. His biggest problem is consistency - he's very streaky. But I suppose if he was consistently at his best then he would be a 1C.

He was tied for 106th in the NHL in points this year - so assuming 90 1st liners, that puts him in the upper echelon of 2nd liners. And of those 105 that had more points than him, 93 had more icetime. He was almost 50% on the dot (seems to be improving in that area), was a team best +5, and despite 5 NHL seasons under his belt, is still just 22!

With Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov, I don't know that we can afford to have a Jordan Staal type as our 2C. Why not keep a guy that likes being here, is a home grown talent, seems to have a great attitude, and looks like a lock for 15-20 goals, 45-50 points.

Any objective measure you look at puts him close to the very top of the list for 2nd liners, almost 1st line numbers. If we can have that for decent $ on our 2nd line, why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
THIS.

There is no need to delay this rebuild any longer. We have to start getting better NOW. We have a window of opportunity that has opened. It won't stay open forever. If this team is talking about Mackinnon/Jones for next year, then the rebuild is failing.

The ONLY way I'd see a trade down happen is if some significant pieces are coming back. Not magic beans. (well some magic beans) But mostly good young talented NHLers with elite potential. If not, no dice.

We're not desperate to trade this pick. Nor should we be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
The issue with that is quite a few C's aren't on that list and are listed as wingers. IIRC, it didn't count guys like Giroux as C's.

Apart from that, if we are to compete in the West, our strength down the middle must be improved.

Looking at the top-10 teams in the West in terms of C depth:

Van: Sedin-Kesler
St. Louis: Backes-Berglund
Phoenix: Vermette-Hanzal
Nashville: Fisher-Legwand
Det: Datsyuk-Franzen
Chicago: Toews-Kane/Sharp/Bolland
San Jose: Thornton-Pavs/Couture
LA: Kopitar-Richards
Calgary: Jokinen-Backlund(??)
Dallas: Benn-Riberio

That is the top-10 teams in the West alone. From that, the teams we are better than down the middle are Calgary, Nashville and Phoenix. The latter two have C's which are much better two-way players than ours. This is also not including teams like Colorado which have Duchene-Statsny-O'Reilly down the middle or Anaheim with Getzlaf-Etem in the future.

If we are to compete in the West, we must be able to match up with that type of depth down the middle.

Now is it possible Gagner develops into a C that can play behind RNH, absolutely, he's not super old by any means. the biggest problem for Gagner is his puck protection. From his first year, his ability to protect the puck hasn't readily developed as you would've liked to see. While his defensive ability and FO's did get better last season, he still far too easy to remove from the puck. And to compete in the west, you absolutely cannot have that. Especially if the new coach implements a puck possession system to suit our young talents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
It is not a points factor as to why Gagner is not going to make a very good 2nd line center moving forward it is all the intangibles that he lacks that will hold not only him but the team back.

Yes, intangibles. That word that statzis hate to see. You know the kinds of things that don't show up in stats and you can't enter into equations.

Teams are relying more and more on a big 2nd line center who can chip in with around 40 points/20 goals. They can play alot of minutes, play physical and take punishment. They can grind down other teams top players. Gagner does not fit that bill. He fits the bill of a top line center which is something he really hasn't shown he is capable of handling.

The 2 teams in the finals show us what kind of 2nd line centers you need. Zajac on the Deviils and Richards on the Kings. They can produce points but they won't always will. They can play physical. They can do all those little things that don't show up on the scoreboard or the stats sheet that lead to wins.

That is the kind of 2nd line center we need. Sorry Gagner does not fit that requirement going forward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Ps probably almost time for a new thread!

05-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
I agree with Joe, statistics and comparisons to 59 other centres in the NHL make Gagner look like an adequate 2C but it's so obvious he lacks any kind of intangible that makes him a worthwhile NHL player, especially with RNH essentially being a better version of him. IMO this team doesn't compete until he is gone and there is a better, bigger, 2C with more multidimensional talents and intangibles.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
DousedInOil

I agree that Gagner isn't the perfect number 2 center on this team but we don't have anyone in the system that is capable of replacing his icetime. I don't want Horcoff as our 2nd line center. That means if RNH goes down he's our top center. Yikes!

I'd rather keep Gagner until we can get another center.

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

That's a pretty good top 6. We just need more grit in the bottom 6. Smyth and Horcoff are good leaders but haven't earned a name from playing physical.

Maybe we can move Gagner for a bigger number 2 once Pitlick and Lander are further along?

Old
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Having 3 straight picks at 30-31-32 would be interesting. Maybe even worth it if we could snag a Rattie, O'Reilly and Voynov kind of group.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I agree that Gagner isn't the perfect number 2 center on this team but we don't have anyone in the system that is capable of replacing his icetime. I don't want Horcoff as our 2nd line center. That means if RNH goes down he's our top center. Yikes!

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

That's a pretty good top 6. We just need more grit in the bottom 6. Smyth and Horcoff are good leaders but haven't earned a name from playing physical.
Too much Gagner for me

Old
05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

Maybe we can move Gagner for a bigger number 2 once Pitlick and Lander are further along?
This 100%, I have no problem with people wanting to upgrade #2 Center but you do not dump a guy who is our best bet unless you for sure have an adequate replacement. As long as Horcoff is carrying the number of minutes and pp mins and even pk minutes he has been the oilers are a lottery team.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

You are probably right in that there isn't anyone better yet to replace him and we really don't know if Pitlick or Lander can fill that spot right now (but after watching Pitlick in the playoffs playing hurt and just crushing people I am much more enthusiastic about him)

Old
05-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
You are probably right in that there isn't anyone better yet to replace him and we really don't know if Pitlick or Lander can fill that spot right now (but after watching Pitlick in the playoffs playing hurt and just crushing people I am much more enthusiastic about him)
I'm really excited about Pitlick too, but I see him as a winger in the future for some reason. I think him, Lander and Paajarvi would make a really good 3rd line. JMO.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Gagner + for Hanzal??

Old
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 147
In regards to Gagner having no intangibles, what does Wellwood, Bozak, Hodgson, Brassard, S. Koivu, Nielsen, Johanssen really have that gagner doesn't? Hodgson age, Koivu leadership, Bozak probably has two-way skill, but he'll be a 35 point center next year.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Gagner + for Hanzal??
Hanzal won't be going anywhere barring a major overpayment.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm really excited about Pitlick too, but I see him as a winger in the future for some reason. I think him, Lander and Paajarvi would make a really good 3rd line. JMO.
He reminds me a bit of David Backes. I think another year in the AHL playing top line minutes would go a long way for him in the future.

Perhaps once they figure out what they are going to do with Gagner and Horcoff you will see Pitlick here. He is everything we need in a top 6 player right now. A big,fast,hard hitting player who has the skill to play with Hall,Eberle,Hall and Yakupov. There is going to be 2 spots in the top 6 at some point for someone to play with all that amazing talent and they need to have some guys with size and skill to be able to play with that group. We just happen to have 2 guys right now that maybe will transition into those spots with Pitlick and PRV.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
This might be best served here, but Jason Gregor on ON had a fun challenge to arm-chair GMs:

Quote:
1. Who would you hire as head coach and why?
2. What would you do with the first pick? Trade it, or pick _____ 1st overall.
3. You can only make three roster moves. Trades, free agent signing or promoting AHL players. What are your three moves?
4. And just for fun, who will be the alternate captains next year.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I agree with Joe, statistics and comparisons to 59 other centres in the NHL make Gagner look like an adequate 2C but it's so obvious he lacks any kind of intangible that makes him a worthwhile NHL player, especially with RNH essentially being a better version of him. IMO this team doesn't compete until he is gone and there is a better, bigger, 2C with more multidimensional talents and intangibles.
Are you seriously saying that Sam Gagner isn't even a worthwhile NHL player?

Wow...A guy that got 8 pts in one night not even worth playing in the NHL.

Best......post.....evar!

Last edited by Booya42: 05-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
In regards to Gagner having no intangibles, what does Wellwood, Bozak, Hodgson, Brassard, S. Koivu, Nielsen, Johanssen really have that gagner doesn't? Hodgson age, Koivu leadership, Bozak probably has two-way skill, but he'll be a 35 point center next year.
I think you answered you own question though. None of those guys made the playoffs last year. A guy like Saku Koivu has some history too he had seasons of 70+ points I think 4 or 5 times in his career.

When I talk about intangibles I am talking about these guys that are big and really hard to play against. Martin Hanzal is really difficult to play against because of his size and strength. He probably will never ever score more points then Gagner but he is a more effective player for his team and would be for the Oilers as well.

Mike Richards isn't a giant like Hanzal but he plays with that edge that other players have to be wary off. Gagner could never play like that. That is not to see that Gagner is a pansy but he just isn't that type of player.

If RNH is lining up against these guys and it looks like he will be seeing a whole lot of the Hanzal's,Kesler's,Berglunds and Richards of the future. Can the Oilers then counter with Gagner lining up against the Sedins or Iginlas or Kopitars of the west? We didn't do that last year and I doubt that is going to happen this year either.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I think you answered you own question though. None of those guys made the playoffs last year. A guy like Saku Koivu has some history too he had seasons of 70+ points I think 4 or 5 times in his career.

When I talk about intangibles I am talking about these guys that are big and really hard to play against. Martin Hanzal is really difficult to play against because of his size and strength. He probably will never ever score more points then Gagner but he is a more effective player for his team and would be for the Oilers as well.

Mike Richards isn't a giant like Hanzal but he plays with that edge that other players have to be wary off. Gagner could never play like that. That is not to see that Gagner is a pansy but he just isn't that type of player.

If RNH is lining up against these guys and it looks like he will be seeing a whole lot of the Hanzal's,Kesler's,Berglunds and Richards of the future. Can the Oilers then counter with Gagner lining up against the Sedins or Iginlas or Kopitars of the west? We didn't do that last year and I doubt that is going to happen this year either.
Please find me 60 better centers than Gagner.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Please find me 60 better centers than Gagner.
Why do I have to do that?

Like I said it isn't about points. I think every playoff team has a much better suited 2nd line center then we do

Vancouver - Kesler
Kings - Richards
Blues - Berglund
Yotes - Hanzal
Blackhawks - Sharp
Detroit - Flippula
Nashville - Fisher
San Jose - Couture

That is just the west. I would take every single one of those Centers over Gagner. They make us a much better and harder team to play against.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Hanzal won't be going anywhere barring a major overpayment.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
hahaha
I appreciate this.
It's so true. The guy's a fantastic player. I'd overpay for him if he wanted to stay here long term.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
This might be best served here, but Jason Gregor on ON had a fun challenge to arm-chair GMs:
I'm your Huckleberry.....

Brent Sutter, we need someone that will look after the kids and get on guys like Eager's ass if they are getting run at and he turns the other cheek. He's also had a lot of success with really young players which IMO means that he can relate to them.

Pick Nail 1st overall.

3. You can only make three roster moves. Trades, free agent signing or promoting AHL players. What are your three moves?
Sign Justin Schultz
Trade Gagner for McNeill or Beach and Chicago's 1st round pick (19th overall)
Sign Jordin Tootoo or Paul Gaustad to reasonable contracts

Hall and Eberle, it's their team now and until Horcoff coughs up the C these 2 should be alternates. If we continue the 2 at home and 2 on the road bit then it would be Hall and Eberle as one pair and Smid and Whitney as the other.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 05-30-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Pointteen

This one's hard for me. They need someone who will let/encourage players tostand up for each other. Sutter would give us that. But I'm also not opposed to Nelson/Krueger coaching the team.

Pick Nail 1st overall.

Justin Schultz
Gagner for Hjalmarsson(Or at least an upgrade on D)
Sign Olli Jokinen to a one or two year deal (Play him on the wing until we know if Hall is staying at centre or not. Out of the playoff picture, shop him. Otherwise keep him)

Hemsky and Whitney.
If Whitney is gone it goes to Hall.
Don't take it from Hemsky, but when he's out with injuries give his A to Smid. Hemsky's bled for this team for a long time. He's a silent leader.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Pointteen, I can't believe that I forgot Ladi, he definitely deserves a letter on his chest.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Barrett Jackman is supposedly going to test the FA waters.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
1. Krueger. Glowing praise from those that have had him as their coach and a very good relationship with the kids.

2. Nail, no question. Not even the hint of a question.

3. Sign Schultz, Sign Garrison, promote Paajarvi.

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Hemsky - RNH - Yakupov
Smyth - Horcoff - Paajarvi
Eager - Belanger - Jones

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Garrison
Schultz - Schultz

DD
Khabby

4. Hall, Smid.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
joestevens29

Hard to really just make three moves. I mean I'd like to think we make more than 3 trades/UFA signings/AHLers graduating.

I think we look at 4 A's, maybe even more if Krueger says piss on going with a C. Now would be the time to remove it from Horcoff. Give him an "A" and name a new captain next year or the year after.

Closed Thread