HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings For Sale? Major Announcement Coming?

Old
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Kings For Sale? Major Announcement Coming?

From the Business of Hockey forums.
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1865219...le-sources-say
Quote:
Philip Anschutz-controlled AEG Corporation, which owns the Kings and the Kings' Staples Center arena home, and its CEO Tim Leiweke, have started marketing the team by directly calling suitors, a source said.

A few years ago, the Kings first put themselves up for sale seeking more than $200 million, but now likely will accept less, the source said.

Anschutz bought the Kings in 1995 for $113 million.

Leiweke said, "We are getting approached by a few people now due to our success, the Dodgers value and the roll LA Live [entertainment and food] is on."

While offers have come in, Leiweke denied he was peddling the franchise. "Nothing to it [sale rumors]," he said.

An NHL spokesperson called the report of a Kings sale "categorically untrue."

The Kings are expected to make "a major announcement" next week, according to a person familiar with the team, but the subject could not be learned.
Years ago, there was speculation that the owners of the Celtics would buy a piece of the Kings. Wondering what this "major announcement" could be. I would love it if they announced a "Winter Classic" game at Dodger Stadium or at Farmers Field whenever it opens, but that is highly unlikely.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Gretzky joins the organization?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Fishhead

Trying to figure out who in their right mind would actively pursue an NHL franchise right now.... And why would the Kings accept less than they want given the team's success? I'm sure if they got a sweet offer they would at least consider it. The logic of this seems shaky.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Of all times, why would you sell them now? Right when they are about to possibly go on a dynasty run?

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Fishhead

On the other side of the coin, the ticket price increase would guarantee more money to a new buyer.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Of all times, why would you sell them now? Right when they are about to possibly go on a dynasty run?
Money talks. However, I doubt it's true.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
i remember awhile back someone said that they wernt out right selling the Kings but were going to be selling part of the rights of the organization or something along those lines, like a partnership...Maybe this is coming to fruition?

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
i remember awhile back someone said that they wernt out right selling the Kings but were going to be selling part of the rights of the organization or something along those lines, like a partnership...Maybe this is coming to fruition?
This article dated back to the summer of 2008 was when it was revealed that AEG was looking to sell a part of the Kings.
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9846642
Quote:
The owners of the Kings have talked with several parties, including the ownership group of the Boston Celtics, about buying a minority share of the hockey franchise, the Daily News has learned.

Sources indicated that no deal is imminent and that in any scenario, Anschutz Entertainment Group will not relinquish operating control of the Kings franchise, which it has owned since October 1995.

In a phone interview Thursday, Kings governor and AEG president Tim Leiweke confirmed that he has spoken to the ownership group of the Celtics, led by Wycliffe "Wyc" Grousbeck, about a "partnership."

"Wyc and I have talked about the Kings, but so have I and a lot of other people," Leiweke said. "There is no deal with myself and Wyc, and there have been a half-dozen people who have been very interested."

If a deal with Grousbeck's group is completed, sources said Leiweke would remain as governor - the top management position under owners Philip Anschutz and Ed Roski - but that other executives, those who have experience in the Celtics' front office, would likely be imported to help run the Kings.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

If the Kings have lost money every year that AEG has owned them like Lieweke always suggests, why in the hell would somebody buy a minority piece of the team? That would be like throwing away money so you can be part of the non-decision making part of the organization. Maybe someone can explain the allure there other than AEG is lying about not making money off the Kings.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Pucknut50

Were the Stanley Cup celebration will be held

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I think you just answered your own question. This is a business, so why not sell high? Their are more interested parties due to our success, according to the article, so why not float it out there and see what you get?

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:41 PM
SLang

A major announcement. Right in the middle of the Stanley Cup Finals. To inject uncertainty into the Kings ownership situation.

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhtttt.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
A major announcement. Right in the middle of the Stanley Cup Finals. To inject uncertainty into the Kings ownership situation.

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhtttt.
That major announcement probably has nothing to do with ownership. Could be something relating to a new major sponsorship deal, or to announce a watch party with Bob Miller and Jim Fox calling the game to a live audience

Old
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Gretzky is probably coming back as part-owner. Makes too much sense, everyone knows the org has been trying to get Wayne back into the franchise.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Gretzky is probably coming back as part-owner. Makes too much sense, everyone knows the org has been trying to get Wayne back into the franchise.
Please no.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
nocturn

What a load of Crap! Announced day 1 of the SCF? I can see it now....Kings MGMT pull a Montreal and sell the Kings during the 2nd period of tonights game. lol..right.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

This is a big a surprise to hear. I'm not sure what to make of it since I have always thought AEG has a system in place where the team is always turning a profit no matter what with the help of having Staples Center as one of the busiest arenas in the world.

Enlighten me on this someone please as I am very confused to see such an article.

Also, while Gretzky will always have me respect for what he has done for the game of hockey as a player, I don't want him owning any part of any team if he is going to be as bad of a business parter as he was with the Coyotes.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 05-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:18 PM
DaAnimal

The Great One coming back to the LA Organization would make logical sense. What other major announcements would they have during the SCF?

He lives in LA, he's got businesses in LA, and his kids goes to school in LA. And he's been spotted at our games several times, and if my sources are correct, he's usually with top management, so he's got a strong relationship with AEG.

If that is the case, then what position would he be partaking? Perhaps Lucky Luc will get a promo and The Great One will take over his position in Operations? Hmm who knows....

Another assumption is of course, Winter Classics. Maybe the league has found fit that holding a winters classic game in LA would be ideal to the hockey market?

If that's the case, who will we be facing? The Sharks? Vancouver? The ugly ducks? Hmm who knows...

Only time will tell...

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
This is a big a surprise to hear. I'm not sure what to make of it since I have always thought AEG has a system in place where the team is always turning a profit no matter what with the help of having Staples Center as one of the busiest arenas in the world.

Enlighten me on this someone please as I am very confused to see such an article.

Also, while Gretzky will always have me respect for what he has done for the game of hockey as a player, I don't want him owning any part of any team if he is going to be as bad of a business parter as he was with the Coyotes.
AEG collects rent from the Kings, the Lakers, the Clippers and all the surrounding venues at LA Live across the street.

Without the Kings LA Live does not make as much revenue. Now do the Kings get credit for that in AEG's accounting? No, the Kings are a necessary expense for AEG to make money via Staples Center and LA Live.

Now if AEG can sell off that expense and keep all the revenue it would probably a smart business move for AEG, but pretty dumb on the part of the buyer IMO unless they are getting a cut of the whole pie.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Baloney. The major announcement is probably Rob Blake's jersey retirement

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Baloney. The major announcement is probably Rob Blake's jersey retirement

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
AEG collects rent from the Kings, the Lakers, the Clippers and all the surrounding venues at LA Live across the street.

Without the Kings LA Live does not make as much revenue. Now do the Kings get credit for that in AEG's accounting? No, the Kings are a necessary expense for AEG to make money via Staples Center and LA Live.

Now if AEG can sell off that expense and keep all the revenue it would probably a smart business move for AEG, but pretty dumb on the part of the buyer IMO unless they are getting a cut of the whole pie.
I still don't buy for a second that the Kings don't make ANY money. There may have been down years but a year like this one, there is no chance in hell they aren' in the black. They have already had 6 postseason games at Staples and are guaranteed 2 more with ticket prices doubling each round.

To AP: the Kings claim that they never have turned a profit on the Kings. They do fuzzy accounting like having AEG charge them a **** ton for rent even though AEG owns both entities. Someone around here or LGK who is an accountant actually looked at the books years ago.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think you just answered your own question. This is a business, so why not sell high? Their are more interested parties due to our success, according to the article, so why not float it out there and see what you get?
Because they haven't hit high yet. They are in one final. They LOOK like they could go on a dynasty run, but then again so did Vancouver.

It would make more sense if they win it this year, or if they do well again next year.

That kind of investment...I dunno I would want some sure fire success before I pushed my chips in.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

I fall to see how Gretzky was a bad business partner in Phoenix. He got screwed pretty good by the league through all that when they took over and he was a minority partner at the time. Maybe I'm missing something?

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I still don't buy for a second that the Kings don't make ANY money. There may have been down years but a year like this one, there is no chance in hell they aren' in the black. They have already had 6 postseason games at Staples and are guaranteed 2 more with ticket prices doubling each round.

To AP: the Kings claim that they never have turned a profit on the Kings. They do fuzzy accounting like having AEG charge them a **** ton for rent even though AEG owns both entities. Someone around here or LGK who is an accountant actually looked at the books years ago.
Yep ... that was PISTON, haven't seen him around in a Looooooooooong time, but back then he actually backed up what AEG was saying, they WERE losing money, on the KINGS, but of course overall, AEG makes money hand over fist so it evens out, but with raised ticket prices and deep playoff runs in the teams future, profits should be in place or coming, which would make it either the perfect time on paper to sell or the stupidiest move ever to put that all at risk. I for one don't buy it.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote