HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OK Flyers fans, who you rooting for?

View Poll Results: As a Flyers fan, who are you rooting for in the SCF?
Kings 96 70.59%
Devils 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Flyrs21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Why?

Because he came back from injury and whiffed on some shots in the playoffs?
Because he wasn't the most personable athlete in Philadelphia history?
Because he was apparently falsely accused of sleeping with a teammates wife?
Because he was upset when separated from the organization he wanted to be a part of for his entire career?
Because he was depressed after being lied to?
Because he and his friend signed contracts to stay and were forcibly separated?
Because he played strong two-way hockey despite being a streaky scorer?

There's so many worse Philadelphia athletes. Take out your anger on DeSean Jackson or any number of jackasses we have floating around. Why be that mad at someone who flat out did nothing to deserve it except miss a shot in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Fact. Brodeur took away far more Cups from Philadelphia than Carter ever did or ever will.

Because I do

Bottom line is I dislike his style of play. For everything fans say he's so GREAT at doing, I think he's good at doing. Like your comment about a "strong two-way player", what you see as a strong two way player is different than my version of a strong two way player. I don't consider him a strong two way player.

He's a good player but I'm just not a fan. Maybe it's part of the organizations fault for trying to make him a player that he wasn't when he was with the team.

As far as "rooting" for the Devils, for me the rivalry just isn't there like it was in the 90's.......the trap is gone, Scott Stevens is gone, Daneyko and Claude Lemieux are gone, Jacques Lemaire is gone, there really isn't anyone to strongly dislike on that team so the rivalry just isn't as strong. The people to hate the most are probably the fair weather fans that just show up for the playoffs.

For me the strong rivalries are the Pens and Rangers, plenty of players and coaches to dislike.

Really glad Arthur Fonzarelli..... um I mean.... Tortorella isn't playing for the cup.

No matter who wins though, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Unless he comes back for the finals and plays a game or the team asks the NHL for an exception he won't. It's either at least 41 or 42 games or at least one game in the playoffs.
The Bruins got Savard's name on the Cup - the Kings will get Gagne's name on the Cup. Absolutely no reason not to.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:33 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I'm rooting for the Devils.

Specifically, I'm rooting for them to go bankrupt, fold, be purchased by a Russian minor league owner, shipped to Siberia, go bankrupt again, fold again, and then be forced to eke out a living in Birobidzhan working as potato farmers or tractor mechanics. Maybe...MAYBE even working in a ball bearing factory.
That such a harsh punishment... Oh, well it's Devils

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
RussianRocket10

I'd rather see the Kings win since it would be their first.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I talk **** on Bryz because the guy has been complete garbage.

He did nothing to improve the team this year. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nadda.

All the while of being complete garbage, he tells the fans and media that we shouldn't worry about him.

The sad part is some people like yourself would rather defend this guy and make excuses for him, but when it comes to Richards and Carter; you'd behead them everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Richards and Carter have both posted one of their best post season performances. Its non debatable. Both have GWG's. Both have improved their team tenfold.

You know who else has improved their team? Simmonds, Jake, Schenn, Couts and Grossman.

The only one that really hasn't shown to be an improvement is Bryz and thus he gets more criticism than the others.

You and others want the critiques to shut up? Then your boy better start performing.
wah wah wah. i hate bryzgalov. its all his fault. wahhhh. i know dude. go buy your richards kings jersey and get it over with if you love him so much. I can't wait for the devils to win.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:20 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
wah wah wah. i hate bryzgalov. its all his fault. wahhhh. i know dude. go buy your richards kings jersey and get it over with if you love him so much. I can't wait for the devils to win.
I'm assuming you'll celebrate by buying a Brodeur jersey?

Or maybe you already own one...

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
I'm assuming you'll celebrate by buying a Brodeur jersey?

Or maybe you already own one...
no. why would i do that? I'm a Flyers fan. thats why i want the devils to beat guys who were here and didn't help us win a cup. I don't root for guys who break my heart in the finals to finally win for another team. the funny thing is I'm actually wearing a kings jersey right now. kelly hrudey. i was fan of that team. not this one.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
no. why would i do that? I'm a Flyers fan. thats why i want the devils to beat guys who were here and didn't help us win a cup. I don't root for guys who break my heart in the finals to finally win for another team.
So you'll root for the Devils, a team that used to own the Flyers?

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:47 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
So you'll root for the Devils, a team that used to own the Flyers?
yea. their not the same team that i used to hate. claude lemeiux. scott stevens. their all gone. as far as brodeur goes, as an NHL fan i thing he's a legend who is an obvious hall of famer and i specifically bought tickets to a game to let my son see him live only to watch them start hedberg. that sucked but i do respect greatness and he is the greatest goalie of all time. i do like roy a lot tho too so whatever but rivalries change over the years but making bold moves to help our team only to watch those moves blowup in our faces suck. I love US. The Flyers. I'm all about us and what we do. I knew those trades were risky. i agreed with them and i think they made us better. thats why i don't want them to win. cause as a fan of those moves i will have to listen to all these a holes on here spew nonstop b. s. about how we screwed up even though we wouldn't have even beat the penguins with richards and carter here. I don't really want the devils to win, i just don't want the kings too either. people are just desperate to latch on to any kind of success, even if they have to betray their own team to do it.

Last edited by funghoul: 05-29-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old
05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
no. why would i do that? I'm a Flyers fan. thats why i want the devils to beat guys who were here and didn't help us win a cup. I don't root for guys who break my heart in the finals to finally win for another team. the funny thing is I'm actually wearing a kings jersey right now. kelly hrudey. i was fan of that team. not this one.
We should take way your Flyers fan card.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
drownedsailors

Jersey? Seriously?!?!?!

They're nothing but a bunch of slime balls who spend their Saturdays hitting the gym, doing laundry and spray tanning themselves. Then they spend the rest of the night fist pumping to garbage music...wait...hold on...we're talking about the Jersey Shore not the New Jersey Devils right??

Anyways, I'll never understand how it's even possible for some of you to cheer for that joke of a franchise...just looking at that disgusting logo makes me want to puke

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:57 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

This thing made me laugh a little:

As for who I'm rooting for... I tend to cheer for the Kings because of Gagne and Richards, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind the Devils winning (although I understand it's a very intense rivalry, I'll probably never understand until I make it to Philly - NJ game one day) - simply for "nationalistic" reasons - Syk and Elias winning the Cup would probably make it up for me.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
I'm not a Flyers fan I'm sorry...but i voted...I'm sorry. I just hate the Devils so much...I'm sorry...

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
i specifically bought tickets to a game to let my son see him live only to watch them start hedberg.
I think they did it on purpose.

05-30-2012, 07:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Who cares who people choose to cheer for. Nobody should have to justify it nor have their Flyers fanhood questioned. Bunch of HS logic on here...jeesh. Funny part about either team winning it is going to be how lame their "parades" will be. Both fanbases number in the hundreds...lol

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I'm not a Flyers fan I'm sorry...but i voted...I'm sorry. I just hate the Devils so much...I'm sorry...
For someone sporting a Messier jersey, you should have more self-esteem. It's okay to vote against the Devils. I did, and I'd do it again.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Who cares who people choose to cheer for. Nobody should have to justify it nor have their Flyers fanhood questioned. Bunch of HS logic on here...jeesh. Funny part about either team winning it is going to be how lame their "parades" will be. Both fanbases number in the hundreds...lol
I wouldn't say thinking it's a little odd rooting for one of your teams biggest rivals is HS logic....I'd say it's more commonplace and what's typical. Root for who ever you want, but don't think it's ridiculous for someone to question why you'd root for a rival team.

Also, isn't the Kings fanbase actually quite large? I wouldn't say they are a "diehard" fanbase like our own in Philly, but I'd bet they'd get a good showing.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
For someone sporting a Messier jersey, you should have more self-esteem. It's okay to vote against the Devils. I did, and I'd do it again.
haha yeah well it said Flyers fans so i didn't wanna be trollin but if i see anything that allows me to vote against the Devils I do it.

I'd honestly rather see the Flyers win the cup and I'm not even joking.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:04 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
yea. their not the same team that i used to hate. claude lemeiux. scott stevens. their all gone. as far as brodeur goes, as an NHL fan i thing he's a legend who is an obvious hall of famer and i specifically bought tickets to a game to let my son see him live only to watch them start hedberg. that sucked but i do respect greatness and he is the greatest goalie of all time. i do like roy a lot tho too so whatever but rivalries change over the years but making bold moves to help our team only to watch those moves blowup in our faces suck. I love US. The Flyers. I'm all about us and what we do. I knew those trades were risky. i agreed with them and i think they made us better. thats why i don't want them to win. cause as a fan of those moves i will have to listen to all these a holes on here spew nonstop b. s. about how we screwed up even though we wouldn't have even beat the penguins with richards and carter here. I don't really want the devils to win, i just don't want the kings too either. people are just desperate to latch on to any kind of success, even if they have to betray their own team to do it.
You are a sad; strange little man. You have my pity.

Last edited by hckyplayer8: 05-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.
hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
Quote:
I Cant say it any better. If unfortunately the Devils do win, it cant be any worse than we have already experienced lately.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
AaronTrieu

with gagne playing, i hope the kings win it.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I know some Eagles fans that rooted for the Giants in this past Super Bowl, I just personally couldnt watch the game as I disliked both teams. Im sure this is how some people feel about this final. Im not one of these people that dislike #10 and #77, that being said I wouldnt be happy if they won. If would just be another team that has won the Cup before the Flyers have in the last 37 years. Ive already seen the Penguins and Bruins win in the last 3 years and the other year our team lost in heartbreaking fashion so what is the big deal if the Devils win? Cant be any worse than we have experienced recently. So I can see both arguments here.
I just find that shocking. thats like a Redsox fan rooting for the Yanks or vice versa in the World Series. I am not going to lose any sleep if NJ wins. If it happens then it happens. I just will never root for a division rival in a Cup Final.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A swedish flyer View Post
The Kings, hoping that Kopitar brings the cup to Södertälje #unlikely
Probably not . You have to came to Slovenia. I'll buy you a beer .

TheSlovenian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:49 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
You're right about New Jersey, but LA loves having parades. It gives them an excuse to flip over cars light them on fire and pretty much riot all night. Have you even seen the Lakers parades?

lool just kidding

No but seriously, the Kings are getting a lot of recognition, both the Lakers and the Clippers have been eliminated, so pretty much everyone's jumping on the Kings bandwagon...I wouldn't be surprised at all if their parade was big.

Also, their die hards are amazing! Extremely loyal and patient...I would love to see the Kings win the cup for them.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I just find that shocking. thats like a Redsox fan rooting for the Yanks or vice versa in the World Series. I am not going to lose any sleep if NJ wins. If it happens then it happens. I just will never root for a division rival in a Cup Final.
I rooted for the Giants this past Super Bowl.

I liked the Giants' team better personnel wise and I'm tired of Brady/Belicheck winning. Therefore, I went with the lesser of two evils and picked NYG.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote