HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts will join Francesa today at 3pm

Old
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Torts basically called out Bondy, would have if he remembered his name lol

05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Torts is awesome. But thank god the Rangers have Sather, and I say this as a devils fan.
The interview with Torts was great; he is really down to earth, competitve and wants to win here with this team so badly. He is very protective of his players and is also very candid about himself, mistakes he's made along the way and also the people who take potshots at the team and the stryle of hockey we play. He 100% has his player's backs.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Torts likes the devils as a team. He sounds jealous. I love it.
He's not jealous. Take off your imbecile hat for a minute. He was giving credit where credit is deserved.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Agree that he's been better of late. But with the SCF so close, they (ownership) may force him to do something destructive. The rangers don't need to do anything transformative. They just need to add some modest pieces to increase depth. Blowing up their minor league system for Nash is not the way to go IMHO.
I really doubt they'll do that. If they didn't do it for Nash during the season, I don't think they'll do it now.

I think the Rangers are looking at the continued development of guys like McDonagh, Del Zotto, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, and some other guys like Erixon making the lineup.

And barring some kind of trade or UFA signing for a big talent, i think they'll focus on getting more guys who can put the puck in the net for the 3rd and 4th lines. Look at how well the Devils bottom six stepped up in the playoffs...that's the kind of depth the Rangers really could use instead of just some guys who can play a few shifts to give the top lines a break

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Tundra

This guy gets so much bad press. It's a shame.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Not completely accurate. Rangers coverage is rammed down our throats. Last night Hockeynight Live's SCF preview concluded with a 20 minute review of the Rangers going forward. Go figure.
hm i wonder who owns msg network... i wonder

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Not completely accurate. Rangers coverage is rammed down our throats. Last night Hockeynight Live's SCF preview concluded with a 20 minute review of the Rangers going forward. Go figure.
Fortunately for Devils fans, your team has earned the coverage starting tonight. I actually think the local media has balanced this very well. When watching the news on Saturday, the news would preface the sports portions with "The Devils are going to the Stanley Cup Finals" not "The Rangers have been eliminated".

Tundra, I ask this in all innocence and in the friendliest manner, you have an issue with the Rangers coverage. However, you as a Devils fan came to a Rangers board and commented on a thread that made no mention of the Devils. Now I have no problem with that and you do not seem to be looking for trouble. However, even as a Devils fan, you came over to a Rangers forum which kind of explains why the Rangers get the coverage they do. If you love or hate the Rangers, there is still an interest. So, wouldn't it make sense that the Rangers attract attention?

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Levitate

Quote:
This guy gets so much bad press. It's a shame.
He's really quite open and candid when he's not being interviewed during the season!

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Fortunately for Devils fans, your team has earned the coverage starting tonight. I actually think the local media has balanced this very well. When watching the news on Saturday, the news would preface the sports portions with "The Devils are going to the Stanley Cup Finals" not "The Rangers have been eliminated".

Tundra, I ask this in all innocence and in the friendliest manner, you have an issue with the Rangers coverage. However, you as a Devils fan came to a Rangers board and commented on a thread that made no mention of the Devils. Now I have no problem with that and you do not seem to be looking for trouble. However, even as a Devils fan, you came over to a Rangers forum which kind of explains why the Rangers get the coverage they do. If you love or hate the Rangers, there is still an interest. So, wouldn't it make sense that the Rangers attract attention?
Well, for one, I like your coach immensely and wanted to hear this thoughts on the past series.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Look, I get it but if I were in your shoes rooting for a very successful organization going after their 3rd cup in 17 yrs, I wouldn't give a flying **** what the other teams around me were doing. The Devils are and always will be between a rock and a hard place when trying to compare their fanbase to that of the Rangers.

It's a lose lose situation in that respect!

Old
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He's not jealous. Take off your imbecile hat for a minute. He was giving credit where credit is deserved.
I was having a little fun at your expense. In all seriousness, he was so guarded during the series that any info was rewarding to hear.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Look, I get it but if I were in your shoes rooting for a very successful organization going after their 3rd cup in 17 yrs, I wouldn't give a flying **** what the other teams around me were doing. The Devils are and always will be between a rock and a hard place when trying to compare their fanbase to that of the Rangers.

It's a lose lose situation in that respect!
It's a long journey to metro respectability. But on the bright side, the Rock is no longer MSG West.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Exactly right. Just another paranoid Devils fan with an inferiority complex because we have the bigger fanbase and will always get more press.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
It's a long journey to metro respectability. But on the bright side, the Rock is no longer MSG West.
Take what you can get; I'm a Rangers fan over 50 years and I can tell you these opportunities(at least
for us) don't come along every day!

Old
05-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Exactly right. Just another paranoid Devils fan with an inferiority complex because we have the bigger fanbase and will always get more press.
I don't mind the fanbase. You're an original six team which stretches back numerous decades. I just can't get over how so many members of the press openly raise up the rangers at the devils expense consistently. I thought they were supposed to be somewhat objective but they're worse than some fans. That's what drives me bonkers. I don't want to be #1 in New York but rather get some credit from the talking heads.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
XLJ

Torts interview with Francesa was very good.

I liked Torts telling Francesa that the media asks him some really dumb questions... Then he goes on Kay's show and Kay first question is "how disappointed are you that you're not playing tonight?"

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Francessa really gave it to him about talking, rather not talking, to the media. I love it, Torts was very honest. I really like this coach!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Torts interview with Francesa was very good.

I liked Torts telling Francesa that the media asks him some really dumb questions... Then he goes on Kay's show and Kay first question is "how disappointed are you that you're not playing tonight?"

I still found Torts' interview with Kay/LaGrecca to be much better/more informative than his interview with Francessa.

At least, with La Grecca there, there's someone who has a functional understanding of hockey.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Francessa really gave it to him about talking, rather not talking, to the media.

Well, that's understandable considering that Francessa is himself a part of the media.

What I find baffling is when non-media people get upset when Tortorella is gruff/evasive/rude/curt in press conferences. He's a hockey coach; his job is to win games and keep the team working toward its collective goal -- not to conduct PR friendly conferences.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Cmox

Zipay seems pretty butt hurt by whatever Torts said.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Zipay seems pretty butt hurt by whatever Torts said.
Don't know why. I believe he was talking about Bondy.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
NickyFotiu

We should not have lost to the Devils. I give the Devils credit for the win BUT I still feel we have a more talented team than the Devils. I do not know why some people underrate the amount of talent on this team. During the season some people said it was better than our 1994 team. I said that was not true but now that we lost some people have gone in the other direction and under estimate the amount of talent that we do have.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
ltrangerfan

Just heard the interview with Mike F.

What I heard:

!)WE need another scorer:
2)Hank is great but needs to still be better.
3)We have a solid top 4 D.

My interpretation:

If I didn't tell you anything in the press conferences... Why do you think I'm going to tell anything now?

Forget what Torts says. The opening day roster is all that matters.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts

Add depth on D. Likes the top 4.

The Rangers were 11th overall in offense. Need more depth upfront.
This is interesting to me. Likes the top 4 I assume means the usual suspects DZ, McD, Staal, Girardi so after that do they add a vet? Erixon and Stralman round it out? Since Sauer is a question mark

If so a guy like Kuba or Sarich who played for Torts in TB? if So it better be on the cheaper end in salary

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Torts likes the devils as a team. He sounds jealous. I love it.
This is the reason i dislike most devils fans they act cocky and ****. i give them credit they won and got some good bounces against the rangers. But lets face it this might be the devils last chance with parise probably going as well as Marty. The Rangers have potential to win multiple cups with their youth and how thier young guys are playing this good already

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote