HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
The kid turned down a chance to play with Teemu Friggen Selanne.

That's all I need to know.
Not everyone feels the same way about playing with star players.

Using that to judge his character is laughable.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

Not everyone feels the same way about playing in Toronto. But don't let that stop you from thinking everyone dreams of it.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
No Schultz goes to Murray and wants a trade. Tells him that he will sign a 3 year ELC to the max deal he can. Then go to other GMs asking to trade up in the draft or gain picks and tells the GM that they can part with a Dman prospect and of course most GMs are guna ask about Schultz.
The reason why the Ducks are so pissed is that he went from being one of highest trade value of ANY prospect to being worthless cause of a selfish act by Schultz.
If the Ducks had signed him to a deal months ago and traded him today he gets a 1st round pick from someone in the #10-20 range at the draft easily and now the Ducks are getting a 5th rounder at best.
I don't get the whole sticking up for Schultz as if he did nothing wrong morally. If this was the same situation but Toronto involved instead of it happening to the Ducks then the boards would be asking for his head as they have fire and pitchforks in the streets of Toronto.
So if Schultz wants to choose where he plays (but isn't sure where yet) you're suggesting he sign a three year contract with the Ducks that gives them his exclusive rights for several years afterwards, then is unable to talk to any other NHL organization and after giving up every bit of leverage he's got, just sits around hoping that Bob Murray trades him into the best possible situation.

Is that it? Because that's pretty freaking optimistic to assume that everything will just fall into place for Schultz.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not everyone feels the same way about playing in Toronto. But don't let that stop you from thinking everyone dreams of it.
Someone is seriously bitter. He makes a valid point -- Schultz turning down the opportunity to play with Selanne isn't a reflection of his character.

Last edited by 7even: 05-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Someone is seriously bitter. He makes a valid point -- Schultz turning down the opportunity to play with Selanne isn't a reflection of his character.
Agreed. Playing with kessel > playing with selanee anyway

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
The guy commenting about not playing with Selanne is likely speaking from bitterness (or joking, as I just noticed his post below mine), as you said...however, you do have to question Schultz' character when he's been on record as telling Anaheim that he would be signing with them and that they trust in him to be patient while he finishes school and now seems to be taking another route. Is it his right to change his mind? Sure...it's his right and well within the CBA because of the so-called 'loophole' that exists for players such as himself. However, if everything ends up being true about him spurning them and changing his mind, without giving the Ducks the common courtesy of discussing his intentions with them, then that's pretty unprofessional and selfish of him. (assuming that's what's happening, because none of us really know) All I'm saying is since he once had them believing that he'd sign with them, it would be the right thing to do for him to let them know if and when he's changed his mind and decided to take a different path to the NHL. That, to me, shows a lack of character by not being upfront with them.

Last edited by Crazy8oooo: 05-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:24 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

I was kidding.

I judge his character off the way he's handled this whole situation, not off just that.

But you know most prospects would kill for a chance to play with a HOFer like Selanne.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
silvercanuck

Nothing against Selanne - he is a sure fire HOF - but pretty much every team in the league has good players to play with. Every time I hear the argument about so and so coming to visit and player "A" being unable to say no to their charm I cringe. As if players are that star struck. It's not like he'll be partnering with Selanne on defence.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Not bitter. I just hate Leafs fans who think the world revolves around their basement dweller team.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Unless hes been under a rock for the last 7 years, judging by our UFA signings one can assume that Toronto is not a premiere hockey destination.. lol.

I will still dream about signing Schultz.

HockeyGuruPitka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I was kidding.

I judge his character off the way he's handled this whole situation, not off just that.

But you know most prospects would kill for a chance to play with a HOFer like Selanne.
You aren't really in any position to judge his character, just like anyone else on this board, as we have no idea what he's thinking or what his priorities are or why. What if he signs with Vancouver, does that automatically mean he lacks character?

What if he comes out and says that his decision was based on family reasons? His parents supported his career choice and helped get him where he is by financially and emotionally supporting his development from waking up early to take him to practice, to paying the huge amounts it takes to support a kid in what is a very expensive sport. And now that he has the option to play anywhere, he chose to do it close to home, with the team that his family have listed as their favorite, so they can come and watch their son play often as part of their favorite team. Not to mention the easier access his friends and community - which he's always spoken highly of - would have to watch him live as well.

Would that still make him someone who lacks character? Someone who left money on the table now, and an opportunity to get to RFA status sooner to get his next contract (and make more money) for other things that he placed greater importance to. What would that say about his character?

We don't know what his reasons or priorities are, and we may never know, as it's not his responsibility to let the world know why he made the decisions he did. But the limited info we have puts us in no position to understand what his character really is like. There are plenty of reasons he could have for not signing with the Ducks and/or signing with any other given team. And there are plenty of reasons which wouldn't mean he lacks character because he does sign elsewhere. You're basing your assumptions on very little info all from second hand sources without knowing anything from the kid himself. How is someone who doesn't even know the person or heard any reasons from the person himself, in any position to judge his character?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
ChillyPalmer

I bet you'd call him a dick if he signs with the Leafs or Oilers though, lol.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
You aren't really in any position to judge his character, just like anyone else on this board, as we have no idea what he's thinking or what his priorities are or why. What if he signs with Vancouver, does that automatically mean he lacks character?

What if he comes out and says that his decision was based on family reasons? His parents supported his career choice and helped get him where he is by financially and emotionally supporting his development from waking up early to take him to practice, to paying the huge amounts it takes to support a kid in what is a very expensive sport. And now that he has the option to play anywhere, he chose to do it close to home, with the team that his family have listed as their favorite, so they can come and watch their son play often as part of their favorite team. Not to mention the easier access his friends and community - which he's always spoken highly of - would have to watch him live as well.

Would that still make him someone who lacks character? Someone who left money on the table now, and an opportunity to get to RFA status sooner to get his next contract (and make more money) for other things that he placed greater importance to. What would that say about his character?

We don't know what his reasons or priorities are, and we may never know, as it's not his responsibility to let the world know why he made the decisions he did. But the limited info we have puts us in no position to understand what his character really is like. There are plenty of reasons he could have for not signing with the Ducks and/or signing with any other given team. And there are plenty of reasons which wouldn't mean he lacks character because he does sign elsewhere. You're basing your assumptions on very little info all from second hand sources without knowing anything from the kid himself. How is someone who doesn't even know the person or heard any reasons from the person himself, in any position to judge his character?
I'm not even gonna make a serious effort to respond to this garbage because you keep ignoring the main part of the argument.

Whatever his reasons were, he could have let the Ducks know ahead of time and they would have been happy to accommodate him I'm sure. Instead, he says he wants to play for the Ducks repeatedly and changes his mind at the last ****ing minute, screwing over the Ducks BIG TIME in the process. He is well within his right to do it, but it still shows a complete lack of respect to the organization that first took a chance on you. I never said he lacked character, either, so I don't know where you got that. This just raises some red flags IMO.

Also, that is quite the "what if" scenario you listed...seems more like Canucks fan's hopes though...

Old
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Nothing against Selanne - he is a sure fire HOF - but pretty much every team in the league has good players to play with. Every time I hear the argument about so and so coming to visit and player "A" being unable to say no to their charm I cringe. As if players are that star struck. It's not like he'll be partnering with Selanne on defence.
Like I said, I was mostly kidding.

But Selanne is more than just a "good player". Dude is a legend. Not many legends on every NHL team.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:58 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I bet you'd call him a dick if he signs with the Leafs or Oilers though, lol.
Why?

I've always maintained that players who earn such status should be able to pick the situation they feel is best.

If Schultz feels that Toronto is the best situation for him because he really wants to play with Gardiner, great for him... If he decides that Edmonton gives him the best opportunity, it's all good.

I have no problem with whatever decision he chooses. He's earned the right to make that decision and I have no more problems with him making that decision than I would a player who's gotten to UFA status.

He's playing within the rules. That, to me, is the bottom line. In a league where teams nearly always get more leverage than players, I support any player who has any leverage within those same rules and uses those rules to improve their own situation.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
I'm not even gonna make a serious effort to respond to this garbage because you keep ignoring the main part of the argument.

Whatever his reasons were, he could have let the Ducks know ahead of time and they would have been happy to accommodate him I'm sure. Instead, he says he wants to play for the Ducks repeatedly and changes his mind at the last ****ing minute, screwing over the Ducks BIG TIME in the process. He is well within his right to do it, but it still shows a complete lack of respect to the organization that first took a chance on you. I never said he lacked character, either, so I don't know where you got that. This just raises some red flags IMO.

Also, that is quite the "what if" scenario you listed...seems more like Canucks fan's hopes though...
Maybe he hadn't made up his mind?

Dont think of it as Schultz purposely screwing over the Ducks big time, because I doubt that was his intent.

Instead of reading NFITO's post and callling it garbage, read it...

The player is within his rights to become a UFA, he is looking out for his best interest, he is not making a decision with the sole purpose of 'screwing the Ducks'.

By the way, how could the Ducks have accomodated a player who wants to become a UFA? They couldn't....

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Maybe he hadn't made up his mind?

Dont think of it as Schultz purposely screwing over the Ducks big time, because I doubt that was his intent.

Instead of reading NFITO's post and callling it garbage, read it...

The player is within his rights to become a UFA, he is looking out for his best interest, he is not making a decision with the sole purpose of 'screwing the Ducks'.

By the way, how could the Ducks have accomodated a player who wants to become a UFA? .
A. Then he should never have told the Ducks he wanted to play there.
B. They could have traded him at any point during the last 4 years from when he was drafted, before it was publicly known he wanted to be a UFA. He could given the Ducks a list of teams or something and the whole thing would have stayed private and looked like a normal trade.

I don't think he's doing it on purpose...but you can still hurt people/teams on accident.

My main point: He should have been proactive.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Not bitter. I just hate Leafs fans who think the world revolves around their basement dweller team.
Clearly not bitter

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
B. They could have traded him at any point during the last 4 years from when he was drafted, before it was publicly known he wanted to be a UFA. He could given the Ducks a list of teams or something and the whole thing would have stayed private and looked like a normal trade.

I don't think he's doing it on purpose...but you can still hurt people/teams on accident.

I think you have too many feelings invested in this to see the logic in what Schultz has done.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Clearly not bitter
No. Its just annoying living in the real world when Toronto fans keep trying to push everyone into Leaf Land where everything revolves around Toronto.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

Dude I want to apologize for some of these leaf fans.

You have every right to be bitter, a clear cut blue chip prospect shafted you guys after giving a verbal agreement.

Sure its not concrete and youve conceeded that plenty, but in a game where lots of hush hush negotiations go on this is a pretty big slap in the face to Anaheim.

Obviously as a leaf fan id be more than happy to add him, but I totally see why you are pissed and I would be too.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
No. Its just annoying living in the real world when Toronto fans keep trying to push everyone into Leaf Land where everything revolves around Toronto.
Try living in Canada.

They miss the playoffs 7 years in a row and they're still the marquee game on our national networks and our sports stations devote more time to the Leafs when other Canadian teams are still competing in the playoffs.

I understand the Leafs have a huge fan base around the world and throughout Canada, but we dont need to be hit over the head with all things Leaf all day every day.:endrant

Old
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

This is a 21 year old kid we're talking about here. So what if he changed his mind? It happens to a lot of 21yr olds and it doesn't raise any red flags because of it. Changing your mind at that age isn't just normal, it's common.

The bottom line is that he hasn't broken a single rule nor has refused to honor any commitments he's made. Changing his mind without a contract in place is well within his rights.

And he didn't have to tell the Ducks anything. Maybe he doesn't want the team to trade him so he can negotiate with whatever team he wants without the pressures of signing with a specific team? Or doesn't want the team he's interested in going to, to give up assets for him?

This isn't a hold-out or a trade demand. It's a 21 year old who's changed his mind and now that he's close to UFA status wants to wait it out and go where he wants. He's earned that right under the CBA. The rest is all whining that he owes the Ducks something - he doesn't owe them a damn thing, regardless of what he said before. Again, he's perfectly within his rights to change his mind at any time until he's signed a contract. Until then the onus isn't on him to get some return for the team that drafted him, it's on the team to take the risk of keeping him or moving him.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
theres the ignore option for some people.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

You might not be able to accommodate a player wanting to be a FA, but that does not mean it's ok for the soon to be ufa to just lie. Say "I haven't made up my mind" or something along those lines. Don't spit off lines that are a promise. That's wrong no matter how you look at it.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote