HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
The Preds are built from the goal out. $22mm for your goalie and Top 2 D-men, assuming that's their rough market value, is necessary and appropriate. If your goal is to be the best in goal and on D, and you succeed in filling those slots with homegrown players, then you spend the money. The trade-off is less money available for the forwards. We will spend to the cap, pay Rinne-Weber-Suter $22mm, and make do with the rest.

If we don't sign Suter, and spend $17mm on those 3 slots, we'd be putting a higher priority on paying up for a forward. If Suts won't sign, that's what we'll do. We'll roll the dice with Josi or Klein in the #2 D slot with Weber. However, to play Pred hockey and have your #1 D line play 27 minutes a night in front of your all-star goalie, the money is necessary.
Again, all indications seem to point to the budget being one number if it includes Suter and Weber, and another entirely if it's on "replacements"

I don't think it's a case of "Well, we had this money earmarked for Suter, so now we can go ahead and use it for Parise."

Old
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Pete was giving his opinion, Ryan has not told him anything.
So what was that you were saying???

Old
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Firestorm

I'm surprised how certain posters (who subsequently changed their names) were saying "We have to go on this run, it's our only hope - no holds barred" have gone quiet and not admitted that in their desperation, they were wrong.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I'm surprised how certain posters (who subsequently changed their names) were saying "We have to go on this run, it's our only hope - no holds barred" have gone quiet and not admitted that in their desperation, they were wrong.
this very well could have been our best shot at the cup. too early to tell.

with suter gone (*), weber could follow this or next offseason. ak is unlikely to be signed. radulov may be gone after that whole ordeal and weber's comments. gill, gaustad both are less likely to stay than go. we won't be as strong next year as this past year imo. unless we actually spend some money for once (like we were told would happen).. but I doubt it.

not to mention, we used up a good amount of assests at the deadline. something we won't be as likely to duplicate next year with a diminished cupboard

Old
05-29-2012, 04:22 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

with suter gone (*), weber could follow this or next offseason. ak is unlikely to be signed. radulov may be gone after that whole ordeal and weber's comments. gill, gaustad both are less likely to stay than go. we won't be as strong next year as this past year imo. unless we actually spend some money for once (like we were told would happen).. but I doubt it.

not to mention, we used up a good amount of assests at the deadline. something we won't be as likely to duplicate next year with a diminished cupboard
That is the biggest kick in the nuts when things like this happen no matter what team it is that it happens to.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I really disagree with this post. Most of those posters said suter wasn't sticking around and that the only way to prevent that was by having a good playoff run. Last time I checked we didn't have a good playoff run and it looks like suter is leaving.

This year was our year to win it and we failed. It really is as simple as that. We didn't win a division, we won one playoff round then got ousted in the 2nd worst way possible while only winning a game and having our locker room divided.

Looking at which contracts expired and where we were as a team, there was nothing wrong with the going broke or winning it all mentality at that stage. I don't think those posters are wrong in the least.

I think most people are burned out after we got our ***** kicked.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:07 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

Well considering that during the first half of the season, I thought it'd be nice to possibly make the playoffs, I'm not jumping ship over losing in the 2nd round. Suter will not cost us that many points I don't think.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well considering that during the first half of the season, I thought it'd be nice to possibly make the playoffs, I'm not jumping ship over losing in the 2nd round. Suter will not cost us that many points I don't think.
He may not cost us that many points, but he damn sure will cost us in the playoffs, who's our pick mover extraordinaire? Josi? Has he played a full season yet?

Old
05-30-2012, 08:47 AM
VFL615*

Not sure why people think Suter is the ultimate warrior. This team has lost players before and been just fine. Suter is not the major bolt in this machine. Now if we lose Weber on top of Suter then i will wring my hands a little. Suter is as good as gone. The best scenario for this team is to get Weber and Rads signed. I would rather Rads move on but he is probably the best option at a legit scorer that we have a shot at out there. Now if Poile knows he can get another guy like a Bobby Ryan or a player like him without breaking the bank than tell Rads to hit the road. Those are the two major keys besides what we can get for guys like Suter, SK, Lindy, and whoever else.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Not sure why people think Suter is the ultimate warrior. This team has lost players before and been just fine. Suter is not the major bolt in this machine. Now if we lose Weber on top of Suter then i will wring my hands a little. Suter is as good as gone. The best scenario for this team is to get Weber and Rads signed. I would rather Rads move on but he is probably the best option at a legit scorer that we have a shot at out there. Now if Poile knows he can get another guy like a Bobby Ryan or a player like him without breaking the bank than tell Rads to hit the road. Those are the two major keys besides what we can get for guys like Suter, SK, Lindy, and whoever else.
You think he is going to want him back ? He's more important/reliable than him

Old
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

People forget that if Suter leaves, we most likely get a UFA replacement. We can't replace him perfectly, but we can replace him. Maybe a Matt Carle or something would work.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
jstreet

catch 22 problem

If we lock up Rinner Weber Suter then we have no money for scoring. But...

I somehow picked up the notion that Suter was tired of having to bust tail and grind out 1-0 wins every night. Im not sure where I got that idea, might be my imagination.

It all gets very circular.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
You think he is going to want him back ? He's more important/reliable than him
Doubt it. I do not even want him back.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
RaiderDoug

Been staying away since the season ended. Hurts to much to think of the opportunity that ran into Mike Smith and his brick wall.

That said, I'm pretty meh on whether or not Suter resigns.

I'd be cool if we gave his 7.5/8 mil to Rads and AK, and then signed a decent D to add to the corps. I think Josi is ready (if he can stay healthy) to step in at #2 D. I also think Blum will be back and ready to go come September.

One thing I've learned (which I knew before and had forgotten) is that all you need to do is make the playoffs - the rest is up to the Hot Goalie Gods.

The team that we iced at the end of the year, sans Suter, is still a decent seeded playoff team. Rinne gets hot, and we can win a cup.

If we don't do anything with the money we saved, like I expect DP to do, then it's time to

Old
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Well, Lidstrom is hanging them up tomorrow. Makes the Suter situation much more interesting now that it's official.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Well, Lidstrom is hanging them up tomorrow. Makes the Suter situation much more interesting now that it's official.
I kind of wonder if the Wings already knew, but are having him\allowing him to announce now because they know this is also the time that Suter is talking to the Predators. Like:

"We know you're talking to Nashville, but...we're going to have an opening..."

Old
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
predfan98

Lidstrom has class, and he is an amazing hall of famer...

This is how class works, making a decision and in a timely fashion for your team.

I am glad I got to watch him play so much at the Bridge.

Suter.......meh....he's not even close to Lidstrom... in any form or fashion.

And frankly, I just don't care what he does anymore. It just might be nice for him not to screw us, and if he really isn't interested, to let Poile know now. But do I expect him to show class? not to much.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:51 PM
29dryden29

With the Lidstrom announcement I suspect Suter goes to Detroit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397224

Old
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
PredsFanFromla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
With the Lidstrom announcement I suspect Suter goes to Detroit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397224

what if suter doesn't wanna play in detroit

Old
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
what if suter doesn't wanna play in detroit
Possability but I am willing to bet if you poll every player in the NHL you may find .5% of them say they wouldn't like the chance to play for the Wings.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 05-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 06:11 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Possability but I am willing to bet if you poll every player in the NHL you may find .5% of them say they wouldn't like the chance to play for the Wings.
Imagine the response to Suter playing against us. We booed Kariya a little when he played against us with the Blues but can't really remember another example. This one will be on steroids. No candy-coating it. We wanted him, was willing to pay him, believed him when he said what the organization needed to do to keep him, and then he rejects us for the Dead Wings. He will be booed like nobodies business. Will be very awkward. Hope it doesn't happen. We'll look small and he'll look like the adult.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Imagine the response to Suter playing against us. We booed Kariya a little when he played against us with the Blues but can't really remember another example. This one will be on steroids. No candy-coating it. We wanted him, was willing to pay him, believed him when he said what the organization needed to do to keep him, and then he rejects us for the Dead Wings. He will be booed like nobodies business. Will be very awkward. Hope it doesn't happen. We'll look small and he'll look like the adult.
Your fans booing a player is mild compared to the booing players get in MTL I am sure he could handle it. Those aren't even opposing players those are guys in HABS jerseys lol.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Players get booed all the time when they switch teams to/from a rival team. It happens all the time. It will only be awkward because we're southerners and don't like to make a fuss...

Perhaps Hal gill was right when he said it seemed like it would be easy to get complacent here, because the fans were more forgiving.....
Maybe we need to be a little more vocal.... in a big city, canadian type of way!

Old
05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Then we can show Gill that we really can boo with the best of them

Old
05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Im sorry but why wouldnt we boo his sorry butt right out of the building???

this is sports, not kindergarten. We wont look "small" we will look like passionate fans who are pissed/scorned/frustrated which is exactly what I will be...

Suter could have left on reasonably good terms if he had just kept his yap shut or offered the standard platitudes that most athletes say in these situations... but he went out of his way to call out Poile and seemingly set conditions for his return, which by any reasonable account have beeen met... so if he still leaves, then he will be a lying sack of dog crap and deserves all the scorn we can heap on him...

Closed Thread