HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nicolas Kerdiles (2012, 36th overall, Anaheim)

Old
05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Some of the scouting reports resemble those of a young Ryan Kesler?

What do you think?
Yeah, Kesler is another good comparison. Not sure Kerdiles (or Miller for that matter) will ever top 40 goals, but that was never expected of Kesler either and might be a one-off in his career. What you get with these guys is: Size, speed, strong two-way play, good, not great overall skill, and the potential to razzle dazzle every once in awhile. It's like the prototype for the modern American player.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

http://thehockeywriters.com/nic-kerd...ornia-dreamin/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I follow him on Twitter and he doesn't exactly do a good job of hiding NHL allegiances. He was actively rooting for the Ducks to make a run at the playoffs while they were still mathematically in it. And he also talked about how much he'd love to be drafted by Anaheim. This was way back though.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Great read.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I follow him on Twitter and he doesn't exactly do a good job of hiding NHL allegiances. He was actively rooting for the Ducks to make a run at the playoffs while they were still mathematically in it. And he also talked about how much he'd love to be drafted by Anaheim. This was way back though.
And this matters, why?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Pacioretty cried when the Rangers passed on him at the draft. He seems to be doing pretty well in Montreal. Kreider was rooting for the Bruins before the joined the Rangers. Every kid has a favorite team. No big deal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
TNT8592

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
great read. thx!

TNT8592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pacioretty cried when the Rangers passed on him at the draft. He seems to be doing pretty well in Montreal. Kreider was rooting for the Bruins before the joined the Rangers. Every kid has a favorite team. No big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
And this matters, why?
It doesn't I just thought I'd throw it out there

Old
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
For a team like Anaheim, it'd be pretty huge to get him in part because of that. They got Etem, but had to do their best to hide that he was a Kings fan growing up. Not only get another local kid, but also one who appears to be a very big Ducks fan(something they probably have never really had), make for a nice story.

And, because yeah, he's pretty good too.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT8592 View Post
great read. thx!
Here to help. I've spoken to Kerdiles numerous times. Great kid. Really hope he gets drafted high and shows what he is made of. Hopefully the GM's don't focus too much on his injuries this season and see how he came back stronger than ever. Did fantastic in the final game of the U18 World Championships.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Falcons93

Any chance he slips to 35th and the Leafs draft him with their second round pick? Or will Burke need to trade up? He had a decent season this year, he's got size, he's American, and he's good friends with Galchenyuk who could slip to 5th if the Leafs are very lucky - all reasons for Burke to take him.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

thanks a lot for the interview bud

05-31-2012, 01:56 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

If Anaheim has a chance at him they will draft him....they will not pass up a chance to pickup another California kid but I bet he's gone in the first 25 picks

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
If Anaheim has a chance at him they will draft him....they will not pass up a chance to pickup another California kid but I bet he's gone in the first 25 picks
Can't believe you let this thread die with that haha.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:37 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Poor kid can't catch any breaks. He's injured now and there's no certainty in how severe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
The scouting reports on Kerdiles sound somewhat similar to what scouts were saying about Max Paciorretty in his draft year. I remember wanting the Ducks to draft MaxPac at 19 in 2007 but instead Burke chose to go with Logan MacMillan

I'm hoping the Ducks are able to secure an additional first rounder because a guy like Kerdiles is exactly what the Ducks could use at LW.
Hahaha looks like we didn't need it.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Xokkeu

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...-duluth-series

Quote:
5.) It's nice to finally be able to put the Nic Kerdiles situation behind us

I'm not here to make excuses for the team in Green Bay, and I'm certainly not going to blame the losses on the Kerdiles situation, but you can't tell me that it didn't affect the preparation of this Badger club.

Wisconsin first learned of Kerdiles' one-year suspension on Friday before the Badgers first exhibition game vs the U.S. NTDP U18 team. Everyone involved expected the appeal to take place the next Thursday, which was one day before the Badgers would open their season officially vs Northern Michigan in Green Bay.

However, the appeal got pushed back one week, and the drama and media hype around the situation grew exponentially the longer this situation went on.

It wasn't Wisconsin's fault, and it certainly wasn't Kerdiles' fault. There were just a lot of interested people (all over North America), and everyone wanted to know what was going on.

The story grew so much that I was even asked to do an interview on an Edmonton radio station on the popular Jason Gregor Show on the Team 1260.

The Wisconsin players aren't stupid, they were all following what was going on. In a day in age where almost every player on the team has a twitter account, how could they miss all the Kerdiles talk?

At times I almost felt bad for them. It certainly affected out coverage here at Bucky's 5th Quarter. Planned articles like previews of the incoming freshman, and positional previews were replaced with non-stop coverage of the Kerdiles saga.

All-in-all, we've written thirteen stories about Kerdiles since news first broke October 6th. That's a lot of publicity for a kid who's never put on a Badger sweater in a game that mattered.

No one associated with the Badger hockey program will admit that it was a distraction, but there's no way it wasn't.

If you missed it late last week, Kerdiles joined the U.S. U18 team (his former club) to play last weekend vs Minnesota and St. Thomas in a pair of exhibition games. Kerdiles' participation was cleared with both the Big Ten and the NCAA.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Kerdiles got a little banged up in Saturday's game vs St. Thomas.

Not many details have emerged, but a few sources weighed in after the game.

"(Kerdiles) took a high stick at the end of the first period and got shaken up. Played a bit in the second, got in a scuffle (took a roughing penalty), and then I can't remember him playing again. Wasn't out at all for the 3rd period," said one source at the game.

Another person at the game noted that he skated off the ice gingerly, and didn't return, however the NTDP was up 5-1 at the time.

A third person mentioned that it didn't sound serious, but that it could keep Kerdiles off the ice for a few weeks.

Kerdiles posted on his facebook account after the game, "Haha all I can do is laugh about it. What else can go wrong in my life right now..."

Overall, it doesn't sound like anyone really knows the details. Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves will meet with the media Monday afternoon, hopefully he'll have an update on the situation.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious, as the Badgers would love to have a happy and healthy Kerdiles back in the lineup when he's eligible to return November 30th when Wisconsin heads to Denver to take on the Pioneers.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

From Bucky's Twitter:
Nic Kerdiles suffered a grade 1 MCL injury Saturday night. No surgery needed. Out a couple weeks. Will be back in time for Nov. 30th at DU.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
From Bucky's Twitter:
Nic Kerdiles suffered a grade 1 MCL injury Saturday night. No surgery needed. Out a couple weeks. Will be back in time for Nov. 30th at DU.

Quote:
Grade I MCL Tear
This is an incomplete tear of the MCL. The tendon is still in continuity, and the symptoms are usually minimal. Patients usually complain of pain with pressure on the MCL, and may be able to return to their sport very quickly. Most athletes miss 1-2 weeks of play.
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/knee.../mclinjury.htm

Hopefully it's no big deal.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

his suspension is over and his debut with wisconsin is tonight, i think.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
his suspension is over and his debut with wisconsin is tonight, i think.
Correct. The game will be shown live on NBC Sports if anyone is interested.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:19 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Was pretty impressed with him. He's got a good defensive minded game. Good vision. Pretty nice hands. Slick passes. Good physicality. Would like to see him be a little more aggressive on offense, also he seemed to try to do more than he's able to at times, and his skating looks like it could use improvement. But to me (this is my 6th game and 8th time watching Nic play) I really feel that just like Smith Pelly and Gibson, we got first round talent (late first round) in the second round with this kid.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
BigPapaSmurff

I was at the game last night, first time seeing Nic play. He had a really good shot, put himself in positions to score, and was really looking to score a goal, whereas everyone else seemed to be not trying to make a mistake. He also showed he cares about playing defense.

What I didn't like, aside from his skating which DuckJet mentioned above, is he got visibly upset multiple times. Went offside once and slapped the puck around the boards, later went to the bench after a turnover and repeatedly slammed his stick on the bench, and other instances like that.

He seemed to be trying too hard and probably put a lot of pressure on himself last night, but I could see some of the tools that made him a 2nd rd pick. And he was playing RW, for those who care.

BigPapaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Xokkeu

Zengerle is back centering Kerdiles tonight. Game is on FSN I believe for those with satellite.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Another gem drafted by the Ducks. Impressive!!

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaSmurff View Post
I was at the game last night, first time seeing Nic play. He had a really good shot, put himself in positions to score, and was really looking to score a goal, whereas everyone else seemed to be not trying to make a mistake. He also showed he cares about playing defense.

What I didn't like, aside from his skating which DuckJet mentioned above, is he got visibly upset multiple times. Went offside once and slapped the puck around the boards, later went to the bench after a turnover and repeatedly slammed his stick on the bench, and other instances like that.

He seemed to be trying too hard and probably put a lot of pressure on himself last night, but I could see some of the tools that made him a 2nd rd pick. And he was playing RW, for those who care.
Yeah I noticed that too. He really seemed like he wanted to do everything he could to make a great impression and things like offsides pissed him off.

But I love his toolbox and frame. He's got good potential is Wisconsin develops him right.