HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tennis wraps for your grip?

Old
05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
ausername1

vCash: 500
Tennis wraps for your grip?

I found some extra tennis wraps (not sure if that's what it's actually called but it's that tacky/cushiony grip tape that goes on the handle of a tennis raquet) a few days ago and decided to tape it aroung my hockey stick for my grip... not sure how I feel about it yet but has anyone else done this before? Do you like it? Why or why not? I'm not sure I've ever seen it done before-maybe it's similar to those tacki-mac grips, is there some reason I'm not seeing that explains why no one does it?

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername1 View Post
I found some extra tennis wraps (not sure if that's what it's actually called but it's that tacky/cushiony grip tape that goes on the handle of a tennis raquet) a few days ago and decided to tape it aroung my hockey stick for my grip... not sure how I feel about it yet but has anyone else done this before? Do you like it? Why or why not? I'm not sure I've ever seen it done before-maybe it's similar to those tacki-mac grips, is there some reason I'm not seeing that explains why no one does it?
I can't think of any good reason why people don't do it. I guess you'll have to report your findings back to us. Maybe you're on to something - or maybe there's a very good reason no one does it!

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Stickmata

Seems to me like it would be too tacky.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
70% of my teammates uses it because we don't have a hockey shop, never heard them complaining...

My question is: if you have easy access to tacki-macs and grip tapes, why would you choose a tennis grip...?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I used to play tennis and tried this once. I didn't like how much girth it added so I took it off, but it worked pretty well otherwise.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I have a teammate that used tennis grip. Nothing wrong with it. A little too thick maybe.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The rubbery grips add thickness, too much for my tastes. The thin gauze though is IMO the best grip tape out there.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:53 PM
ausername1

I haven't been able to practice that much lately but so far I think I like the tackiness- I feel like it gives me more control because when my hands get sweaty they seem to start slipping on the regular tape; I also use an intermediate stick so the thickness hasn't seemed to bother me yet... My opinion might change the more I practice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
70% of my teammates uses it because we don't have a hockey shop, never heard them complaining...

My question is: if you have easy access to tacki-macs and grip tapes, why would you choose a tennis grip...?
I don't have easy access to those. The closest LHS is about 80 miles away and it's going out of business. I'm also new to hockey so I'm doing a lot of experimenting right now to see what works for me- when I found this grip lying around I immediately wanted to try it out.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Yes but online retailers are everywhere
For example: www.icewarehouse.com will give you free ground shipping for purchases over $49

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:47 AM
IDuck

been doing this for years and swear by it (mentioned it a few times in here too)...if you get the "over-wrap" stuff its barely thicker than tape....helps A LOT for preventing holes in gloves and i personally love the feel it gives...will never use tape again

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is that the rubber tape? I could see how it could be great (like Tacki Mac). Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
SiberianBull

Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
I am a long-time, former collegiate tennis player and have tried all overgrip (thinner) and replacement (thicker) grip types. I think the TournaGrip Original Overgrip that was popularized by Sampras in the early 90s is the best of both worlds. Not too tacky in general or when dry but provides enough support, grip, and control under wetter conditions.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tour...UE-TGR10P.html

Never tried it on a hockey stick, but great idea!

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianBull View Post
I am a long-time, former collegiate tennis player and have tried all overgrip (thinner) and replacement (thicker) grip types. I think the TournaGrip Original Overgrip that was popularized by Sampras in the early 90s is the best of both worlds. Not too tacky in general or when dry but provides enough support, grip, and control under wetter conditions.

I used that stuff back when I played tennis. That stuff is great. It provides amazing grip when you sweat.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianBull View Post

yes i think that is the stuff i use, or wilson makes some too...its really thin and has that "grip coating" feel that sticks come with now as well as its soft

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote