HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal V

Old
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Is Martin a cap dump in this deal?

If he isn't, then you guys can keep him, and we'll keep Colborne.
Martin absolutely must have negative value to that poster, otherwise the deal makes zero sense. Either that or he is even more strangely smitten with Schenn than he is letting on.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:50 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

What would it take to get Staal on the Sabres? Not sure this has been mentioned before in this thread. But Staal, Ennis, Hodgson down the middle for the next 10 years would be awesome!

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
What would it take to get Staal on the Sabres? Not sure this has been mentioned before in this thread. But Staal, Ennis, Hodgson down the middle for the next 10 years would be awesome!
We would want something around Staal for Myers, i would think. We would add but thats the gist. I don't think anyone else is that appetizing. Vanek's contract is a no-go from me.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
We would want something around Staal for Myers, i would think. We would add but thats the gist. I don't think anyone else is that appetizing. Vanek's contract is a no-go from me.
I think Myers would require too much of an overpayment. I don't see the Sabres moving him, and I don't see D being the target in any Staal trade.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Again, just because you haven't used those exact words doesn't mean you haven't been arguing those points. lol
Again, I've never argued those points. You want to know what I've said with regards to those points?

- If (and this is a key word there) Staal only wants to play with his brothers, then the pool for eligible teams becomes limited. It'd be down to staying in Pittsburgh, hoping the Rangers could move some salary so Staal could play the 3rd line role, or play the 2nd line role in Carolina

- If (again, key word) the choice came between losing Staal to free agency or taking one of the deals proposed in the past couple topics, any GM worth his salt would take the deal.

- With regards to Bolland and Sutter, I believe the only comment I've made regarding them and Staal is that if (there's that word again) Crosby and Malkin play up to their potential, the Penguins are Cup-contenders regardless of whether they've got Staal, Bolland, or Sutter in that 3rd line role.

- And if you look back, I actually said the exact opposite of what you're claiming with regards to Staal hitting 60. Hell, you quoted a post of mine saying that Staal could hit 60. Here, let me help you out:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=601

So you do see how that's different than saying "Staal only wants to play with his brothers", "The Penguins should take anything they can for Staal before they lose him for free", "Bolland and Sutter are basically the same player as Staal" and (my personal favorite) "Staal can never hit 60 with Crosby and Malkin in the lineup"?

Again, you're misreading posts then getting snippy about what you believe you read. And even more so, now you're making the fact you misread them quite public by completely misquoting me.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Has Colborne been brought up in this thread?

If I was a Pens fan, I wouldn't want him at all.

Talented for a player his size, but he never uses his size and is such a lazy player.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Has Colborne been brought up in this thread?

If I was a Pens fan, I wouldn't want him at all.

Talented for a player his size, but he never uses his size and is such a lazy player.
Usually it's other prospects and not Colburne that's proposed (usually Holzer, Kadri, Ashton).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:45 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Dubinsky, Roszival and a 2nd.

Oops...
Wrong Staal.
Wrong Year.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Yeah, this discussion is going nowhere. I expect Bolland's pee wee stats to be brought up in the next thread. I'm done here.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
How many Leaf fans have to say no to this before you finally give up?
if burke don't offer the 5th overall pick shero will laugh for a minute in the phone and hang up

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
if burke don't offer the 5th overall pick shero will laugh for a minute in the phone and hang up
Holy strawman.

I said Leafs don't want to trade Kulemin+Schenn+Bozak+5th for Staal+Martin+22nd. Nowhere did I say Burke wouldn't offer the 5th if he was interested in Staal.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:01 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Dubinsky, Roszival and a 2nd.

Oops...
Wrong Staal.
Wrong Year.
You can keep that crap anyway

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Sharp is a natural C who was moved to wing, just so you know. Q prefers balanced scoring on the top 2 lines and the more traditional checking center at 3C, where Bolland plays. Same thing with Sutter in Carolina. He could be a 2C but his value is greater at 3C and they've tried several guys at 2C.
Sharp is a natural center in the way Tyler Kennedy is a natural center - it was his position coming into the league, but he established himself as a winger. The bottom line is that the Hawks preferred to move both Sharp and Kane from their dominant positions rather than try Bolland as a scoring line center. He's not viewed as a #2C option in his own scoring-center-hungry organization.

Quote:
You continue to completely miss the point about Bolland in Juniors but oh well. It's pretty simple that Bolland has shown to have the scoring skills to be a productive 2C but you can't compare his point totals with Staal who has played a lot of 2C. Well, actually, you've tried to do so and create a red herring by misapplying the junior stats in the vague hope it will support your point but it doesn't.
There's a difference between not understanding and not agreeing.

Come to think of it, the Canes should try to land Bolland...I hear he's only a small drop-off from Staal, he'd be much easier to acquire, and his junior stats are amazing.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 05-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

Come to think of it, the Canes should try to land Bolland...I hear he's only a small drop-off from Staal, he'd be much easier to acquire, and his junior stats are amazing.
So true. Hurry...someone make a Bolland to Carolina thread. Can't wait to see tears when Chicago asks for someone like Sutter, etc and it's turned into a Bolland sucks, he's deficient in this, this isn't perfect, etc thread.

This should be called the "We don't want your ****** player thread, but we're going to spend an awful lot of time discrediting him and yet still offer something for him...but he still sucks and so do his junior stats."

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Only if we can add the phrase "victim complex" somewhere in there

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Only if we can add the phrase "victim complex" somewhere in there

Why was I not surprised when I looked at your post count?

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
The Penguins will try to sign Jordan Staal and SIdney Crosby this offseason, a year before they each hit unrestricted free agency, according to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.
The fact that the Pens will extend Crosby doesn't really come as too noteworthy, but there had been some chatter that they may be forced to deal Staal as he becomes more expensive -- plus, they have two other world-class centers. LeBrun says, however, that Pittsburgh is OK with keeping Crosby, Staal and Evgeni Malkin -- but if there are any hang-ups in the negotiations with Staal, it would then explore trade opportunities, of which there would be plenty.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=163054&spln=1

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Serious question, how much cap space is Pittsburgh looking at right now?

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
It's all depends on the cap, but expect Martin (5M) to be move for space if needed.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Estimated 2012-2013 salary ceiling: .~70,000,000
Projected cap spending: .....................59,566,667
Projected cap space: .........................10,433,333

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1194893

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Estimated 2012-2013 salary ceiling: .~70,000,000
Projected cap spending: .....................59,566,667
Projected cap space: .........................10,433,333

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1194893
Throw in the likely availability of Martin and...cap space isn't the issue here. If Staal moves it's going to be because he requests a trade to an organization that will give him a more offensive-oriented role, not because of money.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:21 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

The potential cap problems all come next summer. Right now Staal and Crosby are signed for another year and you could still sign Niskanen and Tangradi to their QOs and get a <1m backup goalie under the old cap even.
The only reason cap comes into this is because next year a huge bunch of player (chief among them Crosby and Staal) would start new contracts, while Malkin and Letang would need to be locked up. Cap going up significantly this year, Cap going up significantly next year and Martin getting moved are all distinct possibilities though. Also paid players not named Staal getting traded in RL in general is something that soemtimes happens.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Cap going up significantly this year, Cap going up significantly next year and Martin getting moved are all distinct possibilities though. Also paid players not named Staal getting traded in RL in general is something that soemtimes happens.
I don't see how the cap can go much higher. The split is currently at 57%. Most agree that's going to go down (not sure if the league can get it to 50/50). It's possible the cap hits 70m, but I doubt we'll see it much higher than that unless there's some major changes in the league (more teams, team moves to better locations, etc).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I don't see how the cap can go much higher. The split is currently at 57%. Most agree that's going to go down (not sure if the league can get it to 50/50). It's possible the cap hits 70m, but I doubt we'll see it much higher than that unless there's some major changes in the league (more teams, team moves to better locations, etc).
Yeah, that's what I mean, the cap going up in total dollars not in % share either this or next year.

Plus there is no way they are getting the players down to 50, but beyond that I don't fancy myself an expert on this, I believe you that the share could well go down, wasn't expecting it to UP at any rate.