HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Slats spoke today

Quote:
Standing on the fifth floor of the Westin Hotel in Times Square, Sather expertly dodged talk of acquiring a top scorer specifically but sounded as if he had his eye tilted toward free agency, rather than a trade.

“Well I would like to have a 60-goal scorer, I’d like to have a defenseman who can play 25 minutes and get 25 goals; I would like to have a goaltender that could be under one goal per game,” Sather said. “I mean those are wish-lists that every team in this league would like to have. Realistically, there are some people that are gonna be available. But they’re not available until July 1. So you really can’t talk about any of those guys.”
Quote:
One thing that will not be discussed from Sather’s end is any trade involving Chris Kreider, a given after the Boston College product signed for the playoffs and became the Rangers’ most lethal scoring threat.

Asked whether Sather saw such potential when he said “no way” to trade offers at the deadline, the GM said: “Exactly.” Then he paused. “I didn’t even say anybody asked for him. You did. I didn’t say that.”

Then the general manger smiled and voiced his confidence in the Rangers’ youth movement led by Kreider: “He’s gonna be a good player. And we don’t trade kids.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...er-nhl-gm-meet

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
  #2
LordsCup*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Hello parise !!

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
  #3
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
Someone said it in the offseason thread, but if we could unload Gabby and Dubs and get Parise and Nash in here that'd be a major improvement.

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kredier-Stepan-Parise
Hagelin-Anisimov-(sign Chris Kelly, David Jones, or Ray Whitney to fill the void here)
Prust-Boyle-Rupp? Feds?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
  #4
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Hello parise !!
Someone get the Brinks truck loaded up for Zach. Slats is on the prowl.


azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
  #5
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Someone said it in the offseason thread, but if we could unload Gabby and Dubs and get Parise and Nash in here that'd be a major improvement.

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kredier-Stepan-Parise
Hagelin-Anisimov-(sign Chris Kelly, David Jones, or Ray Whitney to fill the void here)
Prust-Boyle-Rupp? Feds?
That's a lot of if's and more then likely never going to happen. Getting the right deal for Nash, getting the proper value back for Gaborik and finding a trading partner, and Parise wanting to sign here.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
  #6
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
That's a lot of if's and more then likely never going to happen. Getting the right deal for Nash, getting the proper value back for Gaborik and finding a trading partner, and Parise wanting to sign here.
Exactly, the only way we can unload Gabs for Nash is a three way deal with a team Gabs is willing to go to.

It would probably be Sather's most creative trade he has ever made as a GM here.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
  #7
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
they dont trade kids....ppfffttt anyone is available for the right return.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
  #8
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,445
vCash: 500
Glen will trade kids if he has to.

Right now, he doesnt have to.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
  #9
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
they dont trade kids....ppfffttt anyone is available for the right return.
Yeah, he reportedly offered four pretty good ones at the deadline.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:41 PM
  #10
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Exactly, the only way we can unload Gabs for Nash is a three way deal with a team Gabs is willing to go to.

It would probably be Sather's most creative trade he has ever made as a GM here.
I agree the only way Gabby is out of here is a three way trade involving Columbus with Nash coming our way.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
  #11
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
they dont trade kids....ppfffttt anyone is available for the right return.
I agree.

He was ready to trade some "kids" at the deadline....

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
  #12
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, he reportedly offered four pretty good ones at the deadline.
None of whom had actually cracked the NHL roster yet.

Slats wouldn't trade Dubinsky for Heatley.
He would offer Thomas, McIlrath, Erixon, picks instead of Stepan, McDonagh, DZ, ect.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
  #13
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I agree the only way Gabby is out of here is a three way trade involving Columbus with Nash coming our way.
Yep, otherwise we are in Cap hell. Nash's contract is ok as long as Gabs is no longer here. We can't have both. Unless they want to do a "win now at all cost" retool. But I wouldn't like that gamble.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  #14
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
None of whom had actually cracked the NHL roster yet.

Slats wouldn't trade Dubinsky for Heatley.
He would offer Thomas, McIlrath, Erixon, picks instead of Stepan, McDonagh, DZ, ect.
those are kids....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
  #15
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I'm not sure Nash is the answer. Trading him for Gaborik doesn't seem like it would help us much to go on a deep playoff run next year, considering Nash has no postseason experience. Maybe that could work to our benefit though, who knows.

I'd rather go after Parise via UFA, personally.

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
  #16
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'm not sure Nash is the answer. Trading him for Gaborik doesn't seem like it would help us much to go on a deep playoff run next year, considering Nash has no postseason experience. Maybe that could work to our benefit though, who knows.

I'd rather go after Parise via UFA, personally.
Adding Nash and Parise and trading Gabby isn't an improvement?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  #17
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'm not sure Nash is the answer. Trading him for Gaborik doesn't seem like it would help us much to go on a deep playoff run next year, considering Nash has no postseason experience. Maybe that could work to our benefit though, who knows.

I'd rather go after Parise via UFA, personally.
It seems logical that Parise would be their first approach.

In regards to Nash, he would probably fit better than Gabs. But the Rangers would still have to acquire another LW big man to play on that first line(doesn't have to be a superstar). I would expect they would try to bring in someone like Clowe.

Richards plays VERY well when he has two big guys with hands to play with. Nash would look much better with Richards.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
  #18
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Adding Nash and Parise and trading Gabby isn't an improvement?
I think adding Parise and not trading for Nash, while keeping Gaborik, is the best solution.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
  #19
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'm not sure Nash is the answer. Trading him for Gaborik doesn't seem like it would help us much to go on a deep playoff run next year, considering Nash has no postseason experience. Maybe that could work to our benefit though, who knows.

I'd rather go after Parise via UFA, personally.
For what this team is about, I agree. Nash is a strong, powerful player who is assertive, but in reality, you want a guy to exceed Gaborik's point production while playing better defensively.

Nash wont do that.

Parise OTOH can do both and do both well. The problem is money. Parise will make it very tough to keep the 51-win team intact for the next few years. IMO, they should add a player to the roster who can fit in cap-wise with the rest of the team. In signing Parise, you want him to be a final piece, not a subtitution for other current players, possibly key players.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  #20
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
I'd personally throw Parise a 10-11 year deal worth 70 million (7 mil cap space)

Would take him to about 37-38 years old.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
  #21
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
For what this team is about, I agree. Nash is a strong, powerful player who is assertive, but in reality, you want a guy to exceed Gaborik's point production while playing better defensively.

Nash wont do that.

Parise OTOH can do both and do both well. The problem is money. Parise will make it very tough to keep the 51-win team intact for the next few years. IMO, they should add a player to the roster who can fit in cap-wise with the rest of the team. In signing Parise, you want him to be a final piece, not a subtitution for other current players, possibly key players.
Nash is a better defensive player than Gabs. He had time on the PK for Columbus until the coach decided to put him in more of a offensive role.

Nash is also a more versatile player than Gabs offensively. He may not match his goal production, but I'm pretty sure he can match or exceed his point production with the right center.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
  #22
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Someone get the Brinks truck loaded up for Zach. Slats is on the prowl.

i love that video

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
  #23
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks Nash is a good idea is delusional, imo. There's no way he's gonna come cheap, and frankly, he's just not worth what they would want in return.

People should really enjoy this paradigm of building from within. Perhaps the people clamoring for Nash don't remember the dark days when we loved to trade away the future for underachievers that make an insane amount of money.

Just say NO to Nash.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  #24
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Anyone who thinks Nash is a good idea is delusional, imo. There's no way he's gonna come cheap, and frankly, he's just not worth what they would want in return.

People should really enjoy this paradigm of building from within. Perhaps the people clamoring for Nash don't remember the dark days when we loved to trade away the future for underachievers that make an insane amount of money.

Just say NO to Nash.
No one said it was going to be cheap. In fact, the only way it probably happens is if Gaborik is going the other way.

If I had to choose between Gaborik or Nash, I would take Nash. For the sole reason that Nash would probably play better in our system.

If we are comparing talents, Gabs is probably as good as Nash. But he has different toolsets that would compliment a more uptempo quick strike offense. The Rangers do not play that game.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
  #25
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Adding Nash and Parise and trading Gabby isn't an improvement?
Time to look at things a bit more objectively. How does it look to future star UFA's if the Rangers keep signing players to large contracts the a couple years later trading them (Gomez/proposed Gaborik trade), buying them out (Drury), or demoting them to the minors (Redden).

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.