HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
I never once said he lied...I simply posted a link that someone inquired about.

As for changing his mind, it is bad in the sense that he knew the Ducks put their trust in him, as indicated by his own statement and if the speculation is correct, has not gone back to Anaheim to tell them he's changed his mind. That's the part where Duck fans are questioning his character...If you don't think he owes them the decency to tell them he's changed his mind then we just don't agree and that's fine because we're all entitled to our opinions. But my opinion stands...I think it shows a huge lack of integrity on his part if this all shapes up as the media is painting it out to be.
I'd agree that he owes the Ducks that. As I said above, I'd be surprised if he hasn't told them. If it's true that he hasn't even told them that he wants to test free agency then I'd agree that shows a lack of integrity. I've actually had someone I made a job offer to take a job with another company and I found out through the grapevine rather than by the person. Needless to say I was not impressed.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I'd agree that he owes the Ducks that. As I said above, I'd be surprised if he hasn't told them.
Considering they fully expected him to come the minute his season ended, if we ever found out for sure, my guess is that you'd be surprised. All indications are, that at best, Schultz avoided the issue and misled them. At worst, he outright lied to them(which Russo is reporting).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Wow. Talk about lying through your teeth. Well, maybe he was telling the truth at the time but still, you have to stick by your word.
Quote:
I don't see that quote as being that bad. He's saying that he wants to play for the Ducks a year ago. He's changed his mind. That doesn't show he was lying when he said he wanted to play for the Ducks.
Quite, I'd be livid if I were a Duck fan as well.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Then stop crying about how much I hate Burke and the Leafs (not directed at you, everyone who does say that).
Sure thing dude.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Sure thing dude.
Dont "dude" me bro...

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
I'd agree that he owes the Ducks that. As I said above, I'd be surprised if he hasn't told them.
I'd also be surprised if at the very least, his agent hasn't informed them. You would certainly think that the agent would do the right thing in this case. However, with the lack of information coming out of Anaheim, Schultz not talking to the media, and with how the media is spinning it, it's difficult to tell right now. I'm trying to reserve judgement until more information is revealed. Unfortunately, there's still quite awhile left before it really needs to become public.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Not this stupid lying vs changing his mind argument.

He never let the Ducks know that he was going to bolt, if he changed his mind after giving his word, that means it's still a lie in the end.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
The Shrike

The irony of course is if Schultz had said he wasn't interested in playing in Anaheim a while ago, he would have been villified for it. To avoid that, players are coached by their agents to play the game.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
The irony of course is if Schultz had said he wasn't interested in playing in Anaheim a while ago, he would have been villified for it. To avoid that, players are coached by their agents to play the game.
Yes. Either way he probably ends up villified. But in the end you live by your own code of morals. I think that he should have let the Ducks know he was going to test free agency once he made up his mind. I don't think he owes them a specific reason but he does owe that. NHL teams spend a lot of money developing prospects. Schultz is well within his rights to go where he wants. He should have let them know once he made his decision, IMO. That's just my view. I know that players and teams as well don't necessary always play by these rules though.

Edit: I'm not saying that Schultz wasn't honest with the Ducks. I'd have to hear all of the facts first.

Last edited by vanwest: 05-30-2012 at 07:21 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
He didn't even have to do that. He could have told Bob Murray in private.

And I guess "lie" is a bad choice of words now that I think about it, because I don't think he had any malicious intentions. But he broke a pretty significant promise at the very least...I don't know how anyone can argue against that.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
UnrefinedCrude

I have trouble feeling any sympathy for the team that profited with a lowball deal when Pronger left Edmonton.

He doesn't want to play for you, someone else will benefit from it, deal with it, we had to when you won the Cup. There was no moral high road preaching from Ducks fans then, telling Pronger to man up and honor an actual contract.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:37 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I have trouble feeling any sympathy for the team that profited with a lowball deal when Pronger left Edmonton.

He doesn't want to play for you, someone else will benefit from it, deal with it, we had to when you won the Cup. There was no moral high road preaching from Ducks fans then, telling Pronger to man up and honor an actual contract.
Are you seriously try to compare this to the Pronger trade?

Old
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Dont "dude" me bro...
Hah, there is just no pleasing you is there?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Are you seriously try to compare this to the Pronger trade?
Not exactly, but you guys had no moral qualms profiting off another team's misfortune, so why do you expect anyone else to look at this as anything but opportunity?
The biggest difference is that Schultz never signed a contract with the Ducks.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Not exactly, but you guys had no moral qualms profiting off another team's misfortune, so why do you expect anyone else to look at this as anything but opportunity?
I'm not really that pissed about the whole thing. I'm pissed that people are trying to justify what Schultz did/is doing. I don't think many Duck fans tried to justify Pronger's actions.

Also, didn't Pronger do what we're all saying Schultz should have done? He went to management, informed them of the situation, played out the season and they accommodated. Schultz could have done this. But again, completely different situations.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Sure, the Ducks benefited by that trade, but they also paid a premium to acquire him. You do realize that the Ducks gave the Oilers, essentially, 4 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, right?

'Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, Anaheims first-round pick in 2007, a conditional first-round pick (which turned into a 1st) and a second-round pick in 2008.'

That's hardly a transaction that equates to a lack of morals.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Sure, the Ducks benefited by that trade, but they also paid a premium to acquire him. You do realize that the Ducks gave the Oilers, essentially, 4 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, right?

'Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, Anaheims first-round pick in 2007, a conditional first-round pick (which turned into a 1st) and a second-round pick in 2008.'

That's hardly a transaction that equates to a lack of morals.
And the conditional pick was a gift, literally. They agreed on the deal without it and Burke threw it in there for no reason.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

If Schultz is to come to the Leafs, I feel as though the Leafs should trade for his rights, with a player like Holzer or Blacker, one reason being to make room for another defenceman, and give one of these prospects a chance to play since the Leafs have such a great D depth. Another reason being so that the Ducks don't let him go for nothing, and at least get something for him. From a moral perspective if I was Burke, after fleecing the ducks of Jake Gardiner, it would be the right thing to do

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I'm a Ducks fan and I agree with this. There's a lot of hypocrisy amongst some of the outrage, but not all of it.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Hah, there is just no pleasing you is there?
Its a joke

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=1094188

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Not this stupid lying vs changing his mind argument.

He never let the Ducks know that he was going to bolt, if he changed his mind after giving his word, that means it's still a lie in the end.
Not really, its a lie if that wasn't his intent at the time he said it. We don't know what his intentions were when he made those comments... I chalk it up to a 21 year old kid changing his mind with the prospect of having 29 other teams knocking on his door..

Of course the Ducks fans and organization are pissed.. Why wouldn't they be? Its like your girlfriend breaking up with you; its well within her right to do so, doesn't mean you're not pissed about it..

Show me a fan who wouldn't be pissed and I'll show you a liar.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:55 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr TML View Post
If Schultz is to come to the Leafs, I feel as though the Leafs should trade for his rights, with a player like Holzer or Blacker, one reason being to make room for another defenceman, and give one of these prospects a chance to play since the Leafs have such a great D depth. Another reason being so that the Ducks don't let him go for nothing, and at least get something for him. From a moral perspective if I was Burke, after fleecing the ducks of Jake Gardiner, it would be the right thing to do
Yea, until you expend an asset for his rights and he signs somewhere else in July.

Business and morals don't belong together because one will always suffer.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'm a Ducks fan and I agree with this. There's a lot of hypocrisy amongst some of the outrage, but not all of it.
The two situations have absolutely nothing in common. Pronger, for one, was upfront with Edmonton which allowed them to recoup assets in exchange for him. Secondly, the Ducks paid a very high premium to acquire Pronger's services from Edmonton. Schultz, on the other hand, apparently was not upfront with Anaheim which in turn did not allow them to recoup assets in exchange for him. Whichever team ends up signing him, most likely will sign him without giving up anything or giving up very little. Huge difference in scenarios. Where exactly does the hypocrisy enter into the equation? Unless you're referring to all of the teams ready to pounce on Schultz the minute they're allowed, which is what Anaheim did, but I haven't seen anybody say that was a problem.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Not really, its a lie if that wasn't his intent at the time he said it. We don't know what his intentions were when he made those comments... I chalk it up to a 21 year old kid changing his mind with the prospect of having 29 other teams knocking on his door..

Of course the Ducks fans and organization are pissed.. Why wouldn't they be? Its like your girlfriend breaking up with you; its well within her right to do so, doesn't mean you're not pissed about it..

Show me a fan who wouldn't be pissed and I'll show you a liar.
Not to beat a dead horse...but did said girlfriend inform him that she was breaking up with him? If so, then it's not comparable to what most of us fans are complaining about.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Unless hes been under a rock for the last 7 years, judging by our UFA signings one can assume that Toronto is not a premiere hockey destination.. lol.

I will still dream about signing Schultz.
The Leafs have been by far the most succesful with signing college UFA's though.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote