HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Need Defence: Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Riverboat Danglers

vCash: 500
If we brought back Penner I might have to find a new team. I never heard anything good about him when he was playing. Ya the guy scores but he doesnt try or skate and glides around at 50% all the time. I couldnt stand watching that guy again even if it was for $20 a season. Remember how happy we were when we got something for him

Old
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
I'm honestly not signing him just because he's big. He floated his ass around here for close to four seasons and for someone who's big, he's not exactly a physical force either.
You must have missed the part where I mentioned his goal scoring ability.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post
If we brought back Penner I might have to find a new team. I never heard anything good about him when he was playing. Ya the guy scores but he doesnt try or skate and glides around at 50% all the time. I couldnt stand watching that guy again even if it was for $20 a season. Remember how happy we were when we got something for him
Sounds a lot like that Chris Stewart guy that a lot of people around here want to trade for so badly.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Why is the concept of signing Dustin Penner gaining steam again? He's had a decent playoffs, but was virtually invisbile during the regular season. Sounds familiar to how he was here barring one half of a season?

Don't let the playoffs fool you into thinking he's anything more than he is. He had 17 pts in 67 games for the Kings in the regular season. He scores an OT winner and now he's a wanted commodity? Get real.
IMO his marriage and eventual divorce really affected the big man. Yeah he's usually not a physical force, but he can be when he asserts himself. He has a lot of skill and could slot into pretty much anywhere in our top 9. If the price and term was right, I'd try to bring him back.

05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Was his marriage breaking down already in his first season here? I just think signing Penner is a great way to get burnt again. Also, scoring isn't exactly an issue for this team either so signing him just because he's big and can score about 25 a year when he actually bothers to care? Pass.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:43 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Sounds a lot like that Chris Stewart guy that a lot of people around here want to trade for so badly.
Not really since Stewart has a mean streak to back up his size and has the potential to be a 30-30 player as he has already done once. Not to mention he's about 5 years younger than Penner.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Riverboat Danglers

Quote:
I'm honestly not signing him just because he's big. He floated his ass around here for close to four seasons and for someone who's big, he's not exactly a physical force either.
Exactly, Yes we need a big body but I want a Lucic type who is gonna punish guys. I would rather put Harti in the top 6 to shake somethings up. Who cares if a guy is 6'4 and 240 if he isnt physical and punishing guys. Even watching him in this cup run Im still so glad we got something for him. The guy has no heart or character, exactly what we dont need

Old
05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
oilerfan17

I thought of Penner because of his versatility, his proven track record here, and the fact that he likely won't be getting huge money this offseason. There's a hole at #2 LW heading into next season, and I doubt Smyth or Paajarvi will be able to fill it. Penner's size is another plus. Even if he isn't overly physical, he's still hard for defenders to contain. He would seem to fill a need on this team.

Another guy who would do the same is Brandon Dubinsky. If New York wants to open cap space and is willing to trade Dubinsky for cheap, he could be another option for the Penner role. Bottom line is we need another top-9 (preferably top-6) LW heading into next year.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Was his marriage breaking down already in his first season here? I just think signing Penner is a great way to get burnt again. Also, scoring isn't exactly an issue for this team either so signing him just because he's big and can score about 25 a year when he actually bothers to care? Pass.
He wasn't married until later. Scoring is an issue here, we have little/no reliable scoring depth after the top 3 kids. And he did care here. Despite the shatty way he was treated, he did produce. If you don't want Penner, go ahead and slot in Paajarvi, Hartikainen or Smyth. Lather, rinse, repeat the lottery stretch run.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Not really since Stewart has a mean streak to back up his size and has the potential to be a 30-30 player as he has already done once. Not to mention he's about 5 years younger than Penner.
But he's also a RW. Trading for him would make no sense with Eberle, Hemsky, and probably Yakupov already on the team. I don't want another Erik Cole "whaddaya mean he doesn't play LW?" scenario.

Quote:
Exactly, Yes we need a big body but I want a Lucic type who is gonna punish guys. I would rather put Harti in the top 6 to shake somethings up. Who cares if a guy is 6'4 and 240 if he isnt physical and punishing guys. Even watching him in this cup run Im still so glad we got something for him. The guy has no heart or character, exactly what we dont need
Where are you going to find a Lucic type? There are only a few in the league, and teams don't often trade them. Maybe Hartikainen can someday fill that role, but counting on him to play top-6 minutes next season is premature. His career high is 42 points in the AHL. If he plays his way into the top-6, great, but I think there needs to be a more proven option.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:39 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
He wasn't married until later. Scoring is an issue here, we have little/no reliable scoring depth after the top 3 kids. And he did care here. Despite the shatty way he was treated, he did produce. If you don't want Penner, go ahead and slot in Paajarvi, Hartikainen or Smyth. Lather, rinse, repeat the lottery stretch run.
Yes because Penner in the line-up really helped us not finish last in 2010. He was treated ****tily because he was visibly unmotivated during vast stretches of the seasons he played here. He produced enough for a second line player best when given first line minutes. If playing Penner has no bearing in how we finish, as evidenced by his actual time spent here, sure I'll slot in Harti in his slot instead. At least there is something there to reward that rather than watching Penner bumble his way around the ice again, looking disinterested.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Yes because Penner in the line-up really helped us not finish last in 2010. He was treated ****tily because he was visibly unmotivated during vast stretches of the seasons he played here. He produced enough for a second line player best when given first line minutes. If playing Penner has no bearing in how we finish, as evidenced by his actual time spent here, sure I'll slot in Harti in his slot instead. At least there is something there to reward that rather than watching Penner bumble his way around the ice again, looking disinterested.
He was our top scorer by a wide margin in 2009-10. Without him, we'd have been lucky to win 20 games. I'm sure you'd love to have Harti's 20 points instead of Penner's 60. Enjoy your biased viewpoint.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:17 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
He was our top scorer by a wide margin in 2009-10. Without him, we'd have been lucky to win 20 games. I'm sure you'd love to have Harti's 20 points instead of Penner's 60. Enjoy your biased viewpoint.
Baised view point? Biased based on seeing him play here for 4 season? Oh no. I'm forming an opinion on a player based on the quality of his play during the four seasons he played for this team.

Because comparing his point totals in a year without the top 3 kids we have now is very valid now, close to three years later with a completely different outlook in this team. Bringing back Penner is a slap in the face to players like MPS and Harti. Maybe you want this team to keep stagnating and mismanaging the development of certain younger players by bringing back someone who could not give a **** most of the nights he started. That seems like a stellar way to encourage some of our younger players to think they actually have a shot of being rewarded by making the starting roster the Oilers when they'd rather have Penner starting instead of them.

Harti is entering his fourth year post-draft. He's worked his ass off up here and in OKC. I'm sure he would be absolutely thrilled to see that hard work rewarded by having the Oilers sign Penner in the off-season. That's a real impetus for him and MPS to see their longterm future in Edmonton.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
But he's also a RW. Trading for him would make no sense with Eberle, Hemsky, and probably Yakupov already on the team. I don't want another Erik Cole "whaddaya mean he doesn't play LW?" scenario.

I am game for acquiring big Chris Stewart for the top six, Edmonton need toughness on the top six and I'm sure one of Ebs or Hemsky can move to the LW, Hemsky is a right handed shot so that may help out, he might even shoot more and I hear Yakupov will play any position. I hope Hall can translate to center as well to solidify the top six.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Baised view point? Biased based on seeing him play here for 4 season? Oh no. I'm forming an opinion on a player based on the quality of his play during the four seasons he played for this team.

Because comparing his point totals in a year without the top 3 kids we have now is very valid now, close to three years later with a completely different outlook in this team. Bringing back Penner is a slap in the face to players like MPS and Harti. Maybe you want this team to keep stagnating and mismanaging the development of certain younger players by bringing back someone who could not give a **** most of the nights he started. That seems like a stellar way to encourage some of our younger players to think they actually have a shot of being rewarded by making the starting roster the Oilers when they'd rather have Penner starting instead of them.

Harti is entering his fourth year post-draft. He's worked his ass off up here and in OKC. I'm sure he would be absolutely thrilled to see that hard work rewarded by having the Oilers sign Penner in the off-season. That's a real impetus for him and MPS to see their longterm future in Edmonton.
This whole "he doesn't give a shat" opinion is bunk. His teammates and coaches had zero issue with his effort after his admittedly poor first season. Penner is ready and proven with top-6 minutes, and MPS/Harti are not. End of story.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:27 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
This whole "he doesn't give a shat" opinion is bunk. His teammates and coaches had zero issue with his effort after his admittedly poor first season. Penner is ready and proven with top-6 minutes, and MPS/Harti are not. End of story.
There's no end of story. You failed to address how we try and develop Harti and MPS when we continue to sign stopgaps to fill in for younger players. Harti isn't ready for a top 6 despite being 22 this year because of the exact same viewpoint people like you have. Well, he's not experienced enough, but you want him to be experienced enough to be a top 6 player. Good luck achieving that when you're spending your time on the 3rd and 4th lines up here, playing with Horcoff and Belanger.

There's your story. You can be blind to it all you want by looking at Penner as some ideal solution to our top 6 woes.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
There's no end of story. You failed to address how we try and develop Harti and MPS when we continue to sign stopgaps to fill in for younger players.

There's your story. You can be blind to it all you want by looking at Penner as some ideal solution to our top 6 woes.
That depends on if we move Gagner or not. If not, then this is how you develop them:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi/Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov
Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky

w/out Gagner:

Paajarvi/Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Hall-Yakupov
Penner-Horcoff-Paajarvi/Hartikainen

Not sure if it means anything, but in the OKC playoffs they had Paajarvi at LW and Hartikainen at RW.

Paajarvi showed some nice chemistry with Hemsky last year so even if you move Penner into one of the top 2 lines at least Paajarvi wouldn't be relegated to playing with say Belanger and Jones.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Angry Boys

Quote:
Penner came to us totally out of shape after celebrating winning the Cup with the Ducks - it took him a whole season to lose the love handles

The fact he is looking at another Cup now means he might do the same ( or he could have learnt from his past mistakes) - we will find out in september I guess

Old
05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
jmoss45

No way Garrison signs here for $4 mil. He's too sought after. He would probably want 5+ to sign here, or 4 for a contender like Van.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
There's no end of story. You failed to address how we try and develop Harti and MPS when we continue to sign stopgaps to fill in for younger players. Harti isn't ready for a top 6 despite being 22 this year because of the exact same viewpoint people like you have. Well, he's not experienced enough, but you want him to be experienced enough to be a top 6 player. Good luck achieving that when you're spending your time on the 3rd and 4th lines up here, playing with Horcoff and Belanger.

No, I don't project MPS or Harti to be top-6 players on a contending team. They can have another season in OKC and then start on the 4th line. You can develop your star rookies/sophs on the second line. The others need development at a much lower level of competition to avoid being slaughtered.

Penner isn't a stopgap. He's a contributor if you know how to get the best out of him.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post
Penner came to us totally out of shape after celebrating winning the Cup with the Ducks - it took him a whole season to lose the love handles

The fact he is looking at another Cup now means he might do the same ( or he could have learnt from his past mistakes) - we will find out in september I guess
Or he'll sign with a better team for good money. He's learned his lesson.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Everything about resigning Penner reeks of stop gap move made out of desperation and second-thoughts.

Also, in regards to your comment regarding his teammates having nice things to say about Penner, do you honestly think they're going to besmirch the guy on tape? He's a friend and a teammate. Naturally, you only say pleasant things.

His level of compete was very obvious to both the media and spectators alike. The players aren't the only ones who know how well another player performs.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This offseason is going to be crazy if all three Pronger/Lidstrom/Selanne retire.
No kidding, that's one hell of a HHOF class.

Lidstrom, Selanne, Brodeur and Pronger, wow.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Umm did you ever see him actually play, or are you just going by what you "heard".

Old
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Chris Stewart is younger, tougher and has alot more potential. But yeah, there are some warts there

Closed Thread