HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Gaborik scored 41 goals this season. Guys who can create offense like that fit any coach's system. And they don't get traded unless their team has no choice (like Heatley, for example).

The Rangers need to add to what they have and, although I think Slats will be tempted by Nash's availability, I think the Rangers see Kreider as their additional scoring going into next season. In the end, that's probably the most prudent way to go. Then at the next deadline you make deals to bring in some reinforcements and some more playoff grit.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Why the **** would we make some the drastic roster moves proposed in this thread when we were two games away from the SCF? Add another 20-25 goal scorer, give the players who could actually SCORE third line minutes (aka NOT Prust or Boyle), and we will be fine.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan- xxx (David Jones preferably)
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
To NYR: Nash
To CLB: Dubinsky, Raymond, Luongo, 2012 NYR 1st
To Van: Gaborik
Works for me.

But we'd have to replace Dubinsky. So we would need to get creative there, as well.

Absolutely id make that move. I don't know if the other parties involved do, though.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
JCrusher*

i dont want nash i dont think he is worth what they want but i would take parise over gabby. Why do people give gabby a pass i never understood that? I mean he is a big reason why we arent playing right now. He did nothing outisde of the 3 OT game and that was mostly richards. Im not a gabby hater but he really let us down in the playoffs he played like he didnt belong

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
To NYR: Nash
To CLB: Dubinsky, Raymond, Luongo, 2012 NYR 1st
To Van: Gaborik
So we give up a guy who has scored 40 for us twice in 3 years for a guy that hasn't scored above 33 in the last 3 seasons, PLUS a first rounder? No thanks.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:33 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Gaborik has two years left at 7.5 mil. Nash has 6 at 7.8 mil. I don't really look at Nash as any more proven a player as Gaborik. True--he's played for a crap team but almost no playoff experience and definitely not a point per game player. Don't think Nash necessarily improves us at least at the expense of Gaborik and his longer term contract would tie us up several years into the future if he didn't play to best expectations.

Parise is a reach at this point anyway and people can speculate endlessly on that but it doesn't seem likely he's going to be a Ranger--at least IMHO. Rather add offense without trading away young assets though so trying to get Zach is a better idea than trying to get Nash.
Agreed on both points.

Although I was disappointed with Gaborik's performance in the playoffs, sometimes you're better off with the devil you know. There's no guarantee that Nash will perform better than Gaborik in the playoffs, and he may even do worse. We know that Gaborik is capable of scoring around 40 goals on this team, but can Nash adapt and do the same? It's too risky a swap.

And I'm not convinced that Parise will be a Ranger, either. I'm sure the Rangers will throw him an offer, but I don't get the vibe that I did with Richards, which was more of a sure thing for various reasons.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Why the **** would we make some the drastic roster moves proposed in this thread when we were two games away from the SCF? Add another 20-25 goal scorer, give the players who could actually SCORE third line minutes (aka NOT Prust or Boyle), and we will be fine.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
Its the more realistic way.

Schultz, Jones, Stoll/Gaustad, Sarich

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Jones
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Boyle-Stoll/Gaustad-Prust

Rupp, Mitchell

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Sarich

Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Or whatever. If there's a better option than Jones, fine. But another 20+ goal guy that'll contribute in more then one way. Add to depth, don't subtract from it.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Works for me.

But we'd have to replace Dubinsky. So we would need to get creative there, as well.

Absolutely id make that move. I don't know if the other parties involved do, though.
That's a terrible deal.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

What's with the Stoll love here? Guy was worse than Dubinsky this season. We're calling for Dubi's head but want to bring Stoll in? GTFO.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Pugs35

Has anyone here actually watched playoff hockey before? The top scoters on every team typically get shut down in the later rounds. Anyone remember how well Crosby and Toews did in the SCF the years they won? They didn't do much. Gaborik and Richards could have been better against NJ, but not that much better.

Trading Gaborik just allows other teams a much easier matchup, and guys like Kreider and Callahan have an even harder time finding space. Depth wins in the playoffs. The Devils bottom six dominated ours in terms of points and that's a large reason they're playing tonigt. Trading a 40 goal scorer would be a moronic idea. Rick Nash has 4 playoff goals in his life for Gods sake.

If you can add a Bobby Ryan or another legitimate top-6 forward for cheap while keeping Gaborik is what we should be looking into. Blowing up the team that finished 3rd in the league is amazing stupidity, even for this board.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:43 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
Agreed, I'm seeing a lot of proposals that overhaul the roster too much.

In the summers of 2008 and 2009, the Rangers went through a lot of roster turnover because this team had little direction or identity and the core was not yet established. We no longer have that problem - the core is set. There are a few tweaks that need to be made here and there, but when the roster starts to change dramatically, then there is the danger of disrupting chemistry.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Mike Tannenbaum said Brian Shottenheimer would be the Jets Offensive Cordinator this year.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That's a terrible deal.
For us?

Replacing Gaborik and Dubinsky with Nash? We'd actually save cap space. And add a premiere power forward.

I like it mostly because we move Gaborik. And replace him with another big time player.

Doesn't mean its realistic.

I don't think any big trades will happen.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
What's with the Stoll love here? Guy was worse than Dubinsky this season. We're calling for Dubi's head but want to bring Stoll in? GTFO.
Who is calling for Dubinsky's head?

Since I'm the one who brought up Stoll, and i have been on record as wanting to keep Dubinsky, how do i fit this generalization?

Stoll is a fine player. That would be fit into a 4th line role. He can win faceoffs. He's had deep playoff experience now. He's fast. He can contribute. He would add solid depth to the lower lines.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
For us?

Replacing Gaborik and Dubinsky with Nash? We'd actually save cap space. And add a premiere power forward.

I like it mostly because we move Gaborik. And replace him with another big time player.

Doesn't mean its realistic.

It's terrible asset management. It's one thing to swap Gaborik for Nash one-for-one. To add Dubinsky and a #1 is asinine.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Definately sounds like the organization is leaning towards free agency . But , even without trading the kids what if say a Patrick Kane was Available? Seems like he is a party guy and the hawks want him to get help. A buniess guy like Sather could see that as opportunity. Kid is a hell of a player and only what 23 years old? Could a deal around Gaborik/Kane be made?

Last edited by Lion Hound: 05-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Someone else on this board brought it up, but making a trade like Washington did at the draft acquiring Brouwer for the #26 would be smart asset management. Trading the #28 for someone like Clowe would be a really smart hockey trade. San Jose is looking to change things up. Win-Win.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
vstk

Quote:
Thank goodness for that.

The Rangers need to add depth to their roster. That means making smart trades with Fedotenko, Rupp, Boyle, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Zuccarello. No point trading our best scorer away. Like I said before, that would be just plain dumb.

If we would follow the logic some of the guys have here, we would be trading Callahan for Parise because he's played better in these POffs and Callahan underachieved.

vstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Who is calling for Dubinsky's head?

Since I'm the one who brought up Stoll, and i have been on record as wanting to keep Dubinsky, how do i fit this generalization?

Stoll is a fine player. That would be fit into a 4th line role. He can win faceoffs. He's had deep playoff experience now. He's fast. He can contribute. He would add solid depth to the lower lines.
I'm not necessarily saying you're calling for his head, but some here are making it sound like Stoll would be replacing him. I agree that he's a fine 4th liner, but will he be paid as such?

Old
05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
So we give up a guy who has scored 40 for us twice in 3 years for a guy that hasn't scored above 33 in the last 3 seasons, PLUS a first rounder? No thanks.
Yea well I think you're looking too much at the stats. I'm one of Gaborik's biggest supporters but he's just not what he used to be. He used to be more explosive, he used to be able to create his opportunities, he used to be a difference maker on the ice. He has been relegated to a situational player, someone who positions himself well and takes advantage of his opportunities. Unfortunately, in the playoffs defenses' tighten up and it becomes increasingly harder to position yourself for the best opportunity to score. Gaborik is not physical enough to succeed at that type of game. That's why we saw him disappear in the playoffs.

Additionally, Gaborik is one of the most injury prone players in the league. All the offensive ability and previous stats do not mean much if he's not on the ice to produce them. Last year would be considered an outlier in his career as it was the first time he played in every game of the season.

That trade would be amazing, but I don't think the other teams accept it.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Someone else on this board brought it up, but making a trade like Washington did at the draft acquiring Brouwer for the #26 would be smart asset management. Trading the #28 for someone like Clowe would be a really smart hockey trade. San Jose is looking to change things up. Win-Win.
Is that something San Jose would do? A late first round pick for Clowe?

Im not sure that would be enough.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I would easily make that trade as well. Don't think it is enough for SJ.

05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:

Who knows. For the first time since the lockout, I'm open to trading our first rounder for help on the roster now. Clowe is just an example, but like you said, it's possible #28 overall may not be enough for him.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It's terrible asset management. It's one thing to swap Gaborik for Nash one-for-one. To add Dubinsky and a #1 is asinine.
Bingo. How ANYONE could honestly think that that move benefits the Rangers is beyond me.

Yeah, Gaborik had a crappy postseason, and we're all disappointed with him. But what on earth would possess anyone to believe that trading Gaborik and two other valuable pieces for a statistically lesser player is even a remotely sane idea?

Can the season just start now?

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Bingo. How ANYONE could honestly think that that move benefits the Rangers is beyond me.

Yeah, Gaborik had a crappy postseason, and we're all disappointed with him. But what on earth would possess anyone to believe that trading Gaborik and two other valuable pieces for a statistically lesser player is even a remotely sane idea?

Can the season just start now?
When Gaborik decides to show up game in and game out, and not take weeks off. Then we can discuss Gaborik being on Nash's level.

STATS do not tell the whole story.

Beyond that "bingo" **** pisses me off.

Who said any trade WOULD happen.

It was all discussed for ***** sake.

Get off your high horse.

I've said MANY ****ing times no big trades are likely to happen.