HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

Rigged.
that girl is mad cute

Old
05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Hahaha. Poor Bobcats, win 8 games all season and get rewarded with losing the 1st overall.

): ALSO ****.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Suntouchable13

That's why all of the tanking posts were just a huge waste of time. Just always cheer for your team. Period.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Damn, a top-3 pick would have really helped this team in the long run but what can you do? Just gotta go with what you're given and we got the 8th pick. I'm hoping one of Beal, Barnes or Lamb falls to us at this point, if not, then I'd be happy with Lillard.

Hopefully, BC is able to sign Nash and Batum in FA giving us a team of:

Nash/Calderon
Derozan/Bayless
Batum/James Johnson
Bargs/Davis
Val/Amir/Gray

Maybe try to trade Calderon for a better scorer off the bench.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

ESPN's first post-lottery mock now has us taking Dion Waiters just like their lottery machine did.

Their mock is now:

1) NO - Davis
2) Cha - Kidd-Gilchrist
3) Wsh - Beal
4) Cle - Barnes
5) Sac - Robinson
6) Por - Drummond
7) GS - Sullinger
8) Tor - Waiters
9) Det - Henson
10) NO - Lillard

FWIW, other noteworthy picks
Lamb 11th to Portland
Perry Jones goes 12th to Milwaukee
Kendall Marshall 17th to Dallas
Austin Rivers 18th to Minnesota
Tony Wroten 23rd to Atlanta

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
ESPN's first post-lottery mock now has us taking Dion Waiters just like their lottery machine did.

Their mock is now:

1) NO - Davis
2) Cha - Kidd-Gilchrist
3) Wsh - Beal
4) Cle - Barnes
5) Sac - Robinson
6) Por - Drummond
7) GS - Sullinger
8) Tor - Waiters
9) Det - Henson
10) NO - Lillard

FWIW, other noteworthy picks
Lamb 11th to Portland
Perry Jones goes 12th to Milwaukee
Kendall Marshall 17th to Dallas
Austin Rivers 18th to Minnesota
Tony Wroten 23rd to Atlanta
I have no idea who Waiters is. I'd just go with Lilard or maybe go with Jones.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
The 6'4 SG who can play well just doesnt have the size.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Stats01

The NBA is a joke, it seems every draft lottery ends up going well so conveniently to a franchise that needs it. Cleveland won 2 top 5 picks when they lost LeBron, and rumors are abound that the new owner for New Orleans was promised the first overall pick in return for buying the team. Add that in to the referee scandals and the whole league is becoming one giant simulation. It's getting as bad as soccer.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Stats01

I'd like to add that pic of Davis was taken like 2 weeks ago or so, at least that's what I've read around the web.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
comparison I've heard is poor man's Dwyane Wade.

From ESPN:

Quote:
A number of NBA scouts who I really respect have been telling me for more than a month that the real sleeper in this draft is Syracuse sophomore Dion Waiters. One GM went even further. "There are really only two potential superstars in this draft. One is a sure thing -- freshman Anthony Davis. The other one is Waiters. He can be an electric scorer in the NBA. There's some Dwyane Wade in him."

Comparing anyone to Wade is going too far. Waiters doesn't have Wade's elite leaping ability nor does he have his freakishly long wing span.

Still, very few NBA GMs or scouts doubt his talent, and most of them won't hesitate to compare him to Tyreke Evans. Waiters is one of the draft's best scorers and showed at Syracuse that he can get to the basket at will.

Evans went No. 4 in the draft two years ago and won Rookie of the Year. Wade has won an MVP award. Waiters is projected as a late lottery to mid-first-round pick by most teams.

Why the disparity, given the dearth of guards who can really go out and get their points whenever they need it? The chorus from GMs about Waiters is always the same: Character? Defense? Body language? Coachability?

Waiters has a message for all 30 GMs in the league.

"I'm not a bad kid. And I can play defense," he says with a smile after completing an hour workout with Abunassar.

Waiters obviously has his ear to the ground and bristles at the characterization that he's a troublemaker.

The concerns spawn from an awkward situation last summer when Waiters and head coach Jim Boeheim questioned whether they could coexist anymore.

Waiters came to Syracuse ranked as a top-15 prospect by ESPN and expected to contribute right away. However, he showed up to school in less-than-ideal conditioning. Boeheim became frustrated with his lack of intensity on the defensive end. The media picked up on some poor body language. By the end of the season, Waiters and Boeheim were at odds.

"He had nothing to be frustrated about because he was 100 percent wrong," Boeheim told The New York Times. "He played no defense last year. Not some. None."

Waiters, however, stuck it out. "I called my mom after almost every game crying," he told me on Tuesday. "But she just told me to keep going. To not give up. I'm glad I listened to her. I matured this year."

"I came to Syracuse a boy," Waiters added. "I left as a man."

Waiters came back in the best shape of his career. He embraced his role as the team's sixth man. He showed off point guard skills that scouts didn't know he had. He was Syracuse's best player. Coach Boeheim praised him all year. However, the questions persist.

"A lot of people judge me, but they don't know me," Waiters said. "I'm a good kid. I've never been in trouble. I've never been arrested. I don't hang around bad people. I was immature when I came to school. I was overwhelmed. But I put in the work to get better. Coach and I didn't bump heads all season. I'm very coachable. I just needed a little room to grow."

Waiters grew up in a tough situation in Philly. He left his family at the age of 15 to attend prep school. The move was traumatic for him. In the last year, he told me, he lost three cousins and a best friend. So if he looks too serious, it's because life, both on and off the court, is serious business for him.

Waiters also says that people misread his body language on the court. "You don't see Kobe smiling on the court. When I'm out there, it's all business. I want to win. I want to destroy my opponent. That's my focus. Smiling is for after the game, not during it."

On the court, in Vegas, Waiters is all business. He's in terrific shape, showed off an improved jump shot in workouts and can be explosive with the ball. But the real highlight show began later that afternoon when the five-on-five play began.

Pittsburgh's Ashton Gibbs and Florida State's Michael Snaer both took turns trying to guard him, and they didn't have much luck. On Wednesday, he again dominated in three-on-three play.

Waiters is a solid workout guy. He does enough to impress but not a lot that wows. But when he's actually playing the game, it's all wows.

He carved through the defense to the rim at will. He hit several 3-pointers, fadeaways, spins to the basket. He initiated the offense and got others involved. He got whatever he wanted and ... yes, he played inspired defense on the other end.

"I can't wait for the real workouts to begin," Waiters said. He knows that he's currently in a scrum with Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers and Terrence Ross and will likely work out with them directly once the Chicago combine is over. He's got a message for them, too. "I'm going to try to destroy them. I love to compete. If I have a weakness, it's that I'm too competitive. But I think once workouts come, that will be my biggest strength."

Teams still have legitimate on-the-court concerns. He's a bit small for his position. He's struggled with conditioning in the past. He needs to be a consistent shooter and, yes, he still can improve his defense.

But if he works out well and resolves some of the concerns about his personality, there's no reason he couldn't go as high as No. 6 or 8 on draft night. He's that good.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...7/dion-waiters

and NBAdraft.net (they have him 17th to Minnesota with the Raptors taking Jeremy Lamb)

Quote:
Strengths: Waiters' style of play reflects your prototypical combo-guard ... At 6'4 with a strong physical foundation, Waiters can play both on and off the ball throughout stretches of a game ... He's a scorer at heart, but his ability to create off the dribble results in open looks for teammates, which Waiters is capable of finding as a passer ... Always looking to get out in transition, he can change directions off the bounce, effectively absorb and deflect contact and finish at the rim ... Uses screens well off the dribble, recognizes when to hesitate and accelerate over the top ... He's an above average shooter with NBA range ... Comfortable shooting off the dribble inside the arch and via catch and release outside the arch ... Athleticism allows him to penetrate the heart of the defense, where he's illustrated a soft touch on his floater ... Defensively he has active hands and quick feet, and is a constant threat to steal the ball when defending a loose/careless handle ... Often comes out of nowhere for pokes and swipes as an off-ball defender ...

Weaknesses: He's clearly not a point guard, so you wonder how he'll perform offensively against athletic 6'6 NBA 2-guards ... Would see a huge rise in stock if he can learn to facilitate in the halfcourt as a quarterback ... Struggles at times creating good shots in the halfcourt ... With his athleticism and bounce off the dribble, paired with the ability to explosively elevate, Waiters should attack the rim more often (only attempts 2.5 free throws per game) ... Needs to improve as a free throw shooter in general (only 70%) ... Playing at the top of the zone, he hasn't had the experience defending prolific 1s or 2s in isolation...

Overall: Waiters definitely has a future in the NBA playing the same role he does in college ... He's a spark off the bench, can spell your point guard and spread the floor as a spot-up shooter ... In only 22 minutes of action, he racks up 13 points, 3 assists, 2.3 steals on an impressive 52% shooting ... With Scoop Jardine and Kris Joseph graduating, Waiters will have the chance to maximize his value as a junior, with late lottery not an unrealistic goal/landing range
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dion-waiters

I don't want Lillard. Lillard is just another Jerryd Bayless, except that we've at least already proven that Bayless can learn to play the point a bit more.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
In my honest opinion, BC needs to trade up.

Getting mediocre talent is not going to get us out of the basement and into contending.

I really think Cleveland could be the target to trade up. I think ideally they want a SG or SF to help out Kyrie. Dropping down 4 spots still does that for them(as one or all of Lamb, Barnes or Perry Jones will be there), and they don't have to take a flyer on a guy like Drummond who has big potential but also big bust ability.

We trade up, we take hopefully Robinson and pair him with Valanciunas and finally have a front court that we can build upon to compete.

05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
In my honest opinion, BC needs to trade up.

Getting mediocre talent is not going to get us out of the basement and into contending.

I really think Cleveland could be the target to trade up. I think ideally they want a SG or SF to help out Kyrie. Dropping down 4 spots still does that for them(as one or all of Lamb, Barnes or Perry Jones will be there), and they don't have to take a flyer on a guy like Drummond who has big potential but also big bust ability.

We trade up, we take hopefully Robinson and pair him with Valanciunas and finally have a front court that we can build upon to compete.
ideally we want a SG/SF too. Well, really ideally we want a top flight PG, but there are none of those in this draft. This team needs someone who can score the ball from the backcourt and take some of the pressure off of DeRozan until he figures his **** out.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
That's why all of the tanking posts were just a huge waste of time. Just always cheer for your team. Period.
Don't really get why it's a waste of time. If the team had not overachieved and upset much better teams this season, we could be picking in the top 5 opposed to a very meh #8 spot.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
ideally we want a SG/SF too. Well, really ideally we want a top flight PG, but there are none of those in this draft. This team needs someone who can score the ball from the backcourt and take some of the pressure off of DeRozan until he figures his **** out.
True but I'd rather solve one area of the team and build around the front court.

Robinson-Valanciunas gives is really solid front court pair that can score, rebound and defend.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
comparison I've heard is poor man's Dwyane Wade.

From ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...7/dion-waiters

and NBAdraft.net (they have him 17th to Minnesota with the Raptors taking Jeremy Lamb)

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dion-waiters

I don't want Lillard. Lillard is just another Jerryd Bayless, except that we've at least already proven that Bayless can learn to play the point a bit more.
That sounds pretty good I guess. You could have an undersized SG and SF though (since DeMar would have to move over). I like the fact he can create his own shot and that's something Raps can really use.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
That sounds pretty good I guess. You could have an undersized SG and SF though (since DeMar would have to move over). I like the fact he can create his own shot and that's something Raps can really use.
Barring getting up to get Beal, that's about the best we can hope for out of this draft.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

should try packaging the pick along with a player to move up 3-4 spots, to get Barnes. No way he falls to 8.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:30 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Colangelo basically said on TSN that he was going to try to use the cap room we have available to maybe entice a team. Hopefully there's a bad contract on one of these teams that's worth it.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
that girl is mad cute
Not really

Old
05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

These draft lotteries are so rigged. Guarantee you that even if they had a 1% chance, the Hornets would have won the lottery. Basketball is a joke. Guess they think that because there is one team in Canada, it can continue to suck and people will continue to watch it. Don't mistake the Raptors for the Leafs, NBA. I couldn't name two players on the Raptors and I used to be at least a casual fan.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Colangelo basically said on TSN that he was going to try to use the cap room we have available to maybe entice a team. Hopefully there's a bad contract on one of these teams that's worth it.
Josh Smith?

I doubt 76ers move Iguodala at all but I can see Smith being made available. Other than that, I don't see much in terms of players available. Maybe Boston does a shakeup if they are eliminated but I doubt they'd trade with Toronto.

I would also not mind Granger as much as I don't like him personally, but I do think he's a solid overall player and would add to our defense and fill a position of need at SF.

Valanciunas
Bargnani
Granger
DeRozan
Jose

05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Granger is great defensively. Big hole filled for the Raptors but he'd probably cost quite a bit. Indiana is going to continue to develop and they will be a good team for a while.

I doubt Igoudala is really going anywhere either. He had a great playoff.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Granger is great defensively. Big hole filled for the Raptors but he'd probably cost quite a bit. Indiana is going to continue to develop and they will be a good team for a while.

I doubt Igoudala is really going anywhere either. He had a great playoff.
I think Indiana should move Paul George permanently to SF and maybe we can entice them with Ed Davis along with our 8th for Granger and their 1st rounder (provided we move down).

We can target a Tony Wroten Jr.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I think Indiana should move Paul George permanently to SF and maybe we can entice them with Ed Davis along with our 8th for Granger and their 1st rounder (provided we move down).

Do they really need a big though? They have David West, Hansborough, Hibbert. They have depth all the way through their team. They should just keep building through the draft and developing together. They will only get better.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
hdtrax

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...0401--nba.html

I'm officially on the Jeremy Lamb train. I don't trust Marshall or Lillard enough to take them at 8th overall. Take Lamb, move Demar to SF (where he excelled for the most part) and find a way to grab Goran Dragic out of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

In his draft year, Granger refused to even work out for the Raptors. That's what he thinks of Canada. I don't want guys like that near this team.

Closed Thread