HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
mmm Devils losing.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Could also be posturing. I don't exactly expect him to call Howson and go "Hey! Del Zotto and Stepan are available now!"

EDIT - Not that I think they are...just hypothetically.
Agreed. The UFA market is Parise, Semin, Schultz... yeah that's about it in terms of high end scorers.

I can't imagine him saying, "Oh yeah, we're looking for a scorer. I'm negotiating a trade right now. Go ask that guy over there about it."

Old
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. The UFA market is Parise, Semin, Schultz... yeah that's about it in terms of high end scorers.

I can't imagine him saying, "Oh yeah, we're looking for a scorer. I'm negotiating a trade right now. Go ask that guy over there about it."
When did Schultz become a high end scorer?

With the way this kid is talked up, you'd think he's Bobby freakin' Orr.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
When did Schultz become a high end scorer?

With the way this kid is talked up, you'd think he's Bobby freakin' Orr.
Sorry, he's a "potential" high end scorer. Really didn't think I needed to qualify that.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:16 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Sorry, he's a "potential" high end scorer. Really didn't think I needed to qualify that.
They're two completely different things.

But, yes, the scorer's market is small. I say try and sign Parise, but don't go all out.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
They're two completely different things.

But, yes, the scorer's market is small. I say try and sign Parise, but don't go all out.
If you couldn't infer what I was getting at, I dunno what to tell you.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
If you couldn't infer what I was getting at, I dunno what to tell you.
I'm not going to argue semantics.

I just think it's foolish to put Schultz in such a group, even "potentially".

Old
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:

If you're going to put Schultz there, you kind of have to include Suter as well.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'm not going to argue semantics.

I just think it's foolish to put Schultz in such a group, even "potentially".
Even potentially?

Why have a draft, why scout, why assure a future for the league and the game...

Is one thing to be conservative, another to be ignorant.

Schultz has the highest potential and skill level of any defenseman not currently in the NHL.

He would be a top 10 if not top 5 pick in this draft.

Getting him as a FA would be a coup.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Even potentially?

Schultz has the highest potential and skill level of any defenseman not currently in the NHL.

Damn, is he really that good? I've never seen him play. Is a comparison to McBain of Carolina fair? From a stylistic perspective at least? And do you think he'd be a better fit to be paired with Staal or McDonagh?

Old
05-30-2012, 10:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Damn, is he really that good? I've never seen him play. Is a comparison to McBain of Carolina fair? And do you think he'd be a better fit to be paired with Staal or McDonagh?
Id say a perfect fit for Staal.

Allow Staal to focus on what he's best at. Shuting down the opposition.

Allow Schultz to focus on what he's best at. Getting the puck up ice and creating scoring opportunities.

Is he that good? Yes. Absolutely.

Ryan Murray is this year's top offensive defenseman in the draft. Playing in a teenage league in the WHL.

Schultz was playing in one of the toughest NCAA conferences. Amongst young men in their 20's. He out scored Murphy considerably in the last two years combined.

Schultz lead the NCAA in scoring for defensemen the last two years as a Sophomore and Junior.

He's the UW Badgers all time scoring defensemen. In only three years.

He's got a good size frame. He can skate. Shoot. Pass. High-end vision. Smarts. And character.

He may need get stronger. And he may need to get bit better in his own end. But he wont frustrate you to the point of high blood pressure.

He's the real deal. And he may be available for nothing but a cap hit.

This would be more of a coup than getting Erixon. And that was a coup.

Is he a guarantee? No. But he's the closest thing to a guarantee that's out there not in the NHL that fits his style.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Allow Schultz to focus on what he's best at. Getting the puck up ice and creating scoring opportunities.

Ryan Murray is this year's top offensive defenseman in the draft. Playing in a teenage league in the WHL.

Schultz was playing in one of the toughest NCAA conferences. Amongst young men in their 20's. He out scored Murphy considerably in the last two years combined.

Schultz lead the NCAA in scoring for defensemen the last two years as a Sophomore and Junior.

He's got a good size frame. He can skate. Shoot. Pass. High-end vision. Smarts. And character.

He may need get stronger. And he may need to get bit better in his own end. But he wont frustrate you to the point of high blood pressure.

Is he a guarantee? No. But he's the closest thing to a guarantee that's out there not in the NHL that fits his style.
Wow! You've officially got me excited. Gonna go search YouTube for some highlights now haha

Old
05-30-2012, 10:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Let the SSM haters come and call me a sensationalist. Or whatever **** they want to talk.

Ill be saying the same things and be extremely jealous of who ever signs him.

Just like Im jealous of Karlsson and Letang.

We need a defenseman like this. And this is our chance to acquire one and develop one.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:59 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:

I agree with you and think Schultz is going to be a star. But the question is do you really think the Rangers have a good shot at signing him? I heard he is pretty much already in Toronto.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
I agree with you and think Schultz is going to be a star. But the question is do you really think the Rangers have a good shot at signing him? I heard he is pretty much already in Toronto.
Heard from who, Im curious?

Toronto always believes everyone is going to Toronto.

They don't have as many variables working for them.

Rangers have wide open glaring sports for him to compete for on the right side. Two wide open spots behind Girardi.

Rangers have two former Badgers playing big roles.

He can play with Staal, an all-star caliber shut-down defenseman. That would allow Schultz to do what he does best.

And the Rangers are a winning team. They just got to the Conference Finals. They're one of the youngest teams in the league. And they are committed to bringing in and developing young players.

Toronto can offer Gardiner. Who he won't even pair up with. And they can offer what else?

I'm sure it'll be a dog fight. But in the end if he turns down the situation and opportunity we have to offer him, to go play for a franchise that is a mess, then i don't know what to say. Ill be jealous they got him, but he'd make a big mistake.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

We have the tools to make a good fight. It depends on where he wants though. Everyone goes to toronto amirite

Old
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Even potentially?

And it's another thing to be a sensationalist.

If Schultz is as good as you and some others say, why have I heard next to nothing about him until he decided to make himself available to every team? There's definite hyperbole in there. While I don't doubt that Schultz could be a very good offensive defenseman, he is being given ridiculous expectations.
He's not going to waltz right onto our team and make an immediate star impact. This is a 22 year old defenseman with no pro experience whatsoever. I would love to sign him, and I do believe he'll be a good to great player, but temper the expecctaions.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Sounds like he's not anticipating a trade for scoring help.
He probably would not say - "we are looking into trading a few players to upgrade our team and are targeting xx and yay for some of our kids". The July 1 statement is just a polite smokescreen as to his real plans or ambitions. Time will tell, but it is intriguing

Old
05-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
And it's another thing to be a sensationalist.

If Schultz is as good as you and some others say, why have I heard next to nothing about him until he decided to make himself available to every team? There's definite hyperbole in there. While I don't doubt that Schultz could be a very good offensive defenseman, he is being given ridiculous expectations.
He's not going to waltz right onto our team and make an immediate star impact. This is a 22 year old defenseman with no pro experience whatsoever. I would love to sign him, and I do believe he'll be a good to great player, but temper the expecctaions.
Probably because he's a Ducks prospect. Even people that follow the league as part of their job seem clueless about our players. I remember we had a nationally televised game right before the trade deadline. Smith-Pelly had a dominant performance against the Hawks, and Engblom clearly had never even watched or heard about him; couldn't even shut up about him when interviewing Teemu for first star. Keep in mind, DSP was a captain of Team Canada at the WJCs just a few months prior, and was fighting Huberdeau for tournament MVP at the previous Memorial Cup.

Unless you follow Div. I or Anaheim closely, there's no reason why you should have heard of Schultz until now.

Back to lurking.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Vitto79

so who is the depth D options?

Schultz name is all over the place but he wll be in high demand

Sarich, Kubina are Righties and former TB / Torts players. Kuba is a Lefty former TB er

Old
05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Probably because he's a Ducks prospect. Even people that follow the league as part of their job seem clueless about our players. I remember we had a nationally televised game right before the trade deadline. Smith-Pelly had a dominant performance against the Hawks, and Engblom clearly had never even watched or heard about him; couldn't even shut up about him when interviewing Teemu for first star. Keep in mind, DSP was a captain of Team Canada at the WJCs just a few months prior, and was fighting Huberdeau for tournament MVP at the previous Memorial Cup.

Unless you follow Div. I or Anaheim closely, there's no reason why you should have heard of Schultz until now.

Back to lurking.
Anaheim has one of the more underrated groups of prospects in the league. I am VERY high on Palmieri and Etem.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
DutchShamrock

I just read the article on the rules summit. They talked about carry over penalties, hybrid icing, and the like. Also mentioned the sho blocking "problem". Teams don't like the lack of offense and odd man rushes. And they hate the interference.

Allow me to vent: despite our shot blocking, I seem to recall a lot of odd man rushes against. We must have ceeded a few offensive chance since we played 20 out of a possible 21 games. We were one of the faster teams in the league and one of the fastest in the post season, but no one cried about the constant interference against our speedsters. We block some shots and we are ruining the sport.

I know they want to address interference, but I don't remember one comment about the topic when it worked against us.

Regardless, none of the solutions will work. You can't take out shot blocking. You can't police positional play. You could stop impeding fast skaters, but you'll never see a thing done. If this league can't tolerate something, its an advantage in skill or talent.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I wonder of St. Louis has any interest in Gaborik

If we dont land Schultz, id inquire about Shattenkirk. Perfect righty for Staal's pair.

Gaborik for Shattenkirk and one of Berglund/Oshie/Perron?

Del Zotto, Dubinsky, 2nd for Iginla

Id love to bring Rozsival back as the 6th (7th if Sauer recovers). He's going to command about 1.5-2.5 mil. I wonder if he'd be interested in coming back to NY.

Kreider Richards Iginla
Berglund Stepan Callahan
Hagelin Anisimov Miller/Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Shattenkirk
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Rozsival
Sauer if he recovers

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I wonder of St. Louis has any interest in Gaborik

If we dont land Schultz, id inquire about Shattenkirk. Perfect righty for Staal's pair.

Gaborik for Shattenkirk and one of Berglund/Oshie/Perron?

Del Zotto, Dubinsky, 2nd for Iginla

Id love to bring Rozsival back as the 6th (7th if Sauer recovers). He's going to command about 1.5-2.5 mil. I wonder if he'd be interested in coming back to NY.

Kreider Richards Iginla
Berglund Stepan Callahan
Hagelin Anisimov Miller/Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Shattenkirk
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Rozsival
Sauer if he recovers

Lundqvist
Biron
Why would St. Louis want to:
- Give up a star to be in Shattenkirk plus either of Berglund/Oshie/Perrin for Gaborik's bloated contract?

They play a defensively responsible style under Hitchcock and are a very physical team henceforth a very bad fit for Maryanne.

Roszival played extremely well for Phoenix in the playoffs and he doesn't have to deal with all the pressure there with fans(like myself) constantly calling for his head. No way he would come back here.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
EEDAWGZ

Shultz doesn't want to sign with us , just like Krieder ,and Mcd

Closed Thread