HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NYR "Untouchables" Poll / Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2012, 08:28 PM
  #1
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Official NYR "Untouchables" Poll / Discussion

There has been a lot of discussion already, and as the offseason continues, there will be plenty of healthy debate over which players the Rangers should entertain offers for, and which players are simply off limits, regardless of the potential return.

If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, then nobody is truly untouchable, but for the sake of argument, I think it's fair / realistic to consider a few players from your team off-limits.

So far, I've seen many posters overvaluing Rangers players and prospects. Now, I love most of our homegrown players as much as the next guy, but the term "untouchable" or untradeable loses its meaning and its value if you label half your roster as untouchable. It's simply unrealistic.

Let's not forget that just because a player isnt untouchable doesn't mean that he's a garbage player like Dale Purinton or Ryan Hollweg. It simply means that there are other players around the league who might be worth trading said player for.

Here's how it's going to work:

You can label 5 forwards as untouchable.
You can label 3 defensemen untouchable.

(the difference is of course because there are more forwards than defensemen on a roster)

This includes roster players AND prospects.
It's also worth noting that we're already excluding the MOST untouchable Ranger, Henrik Lundqvist.

I'll start.

UNTOUCHABLE FORWARDS:

Brad Richards
Chris Kreider
Ryan Callahan
Derek Stepan
Carl Hagelin

UNTOUCHABLE DEFENSEMEN:

Marc Staal
Ryan McDonagh
Dan Girardi


Some may argue about Hagelin, but his speed is so elite that I think if he continues to improve the other areas of his game each year, he's got the potential to be a real star in the NHL. The sky is the limit. Many will disagree, but that's how I feel.

Now this means that Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Prust, Miller, Fast, Thomas, Zuccarello, Del Zotto, Erixon (however unlikely considering the circumstances that brought him to NY), Sauer (if healthy), McIlrath are all potentially tradeable FOR THE RIGHT RETURN. Please comprehend the difference between this and wanting to get rid of a player.


Since I have a feeling many of these lists will be similar, feel free to make them for other teams as well, using the same structure; 5 forwards, 3 defensemen.

ie:

Philadelphia Flyers:

UNTOUCHABLE FORWARDS:

Claude Giroux
Jakub Voracek
Sean Couturier
Scott Hartnell
Brayden Schenn

UNTOUCHABLE DEFENSEMEN:

Chris Pronger (assuming he's not finished)
Andrej Meszaros
Braydon Coburn

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
  #2
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,196
vCash: 500
boyle and prust for simmonds

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
  #3
WalterHeisenberg
Registered User
 
WalterHeisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,406
vCash: 133
UNTOUCHABLE FORWARDS:
Chris Kreider
Ryan Callahan
Brad Richards
Carl Hagelin
Derek Stepan

UNTOUCHABLE DEFENSEMEN:
Ryan McDonagh
Marc Staal
Dan Girardi

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:37 PM
  #4
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
I'm starting to think I should've made it only 3-4 forwards.

If you had to choose between only keeping 3 out of Richards, Kreider, Cally, Stepan, Hagelin, who would you keep?

Richards, Kreider, Callahan?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
  #5
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Forwards: Stepan, Kreider, Callahan, Richards, Gaborik.

I don't get rid of Gabby because you need a bonafide finisher. He didn't produce in the playoffs, but you still need someone to put in 35 and right now, he's the only one who can do that consistently.

D-Men: Staal, Mac Truck, Del Zotto.

I take dizzy because I think he's made strides in his own end and has that offensive touch the others in the group do not. you can get a good return for girardi..

plus i wanted to change it up so we actually have something to debate haha

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
  #6
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
The only untouchable players on this team are Lundqvist and McDonagh. I don't want to trade Gaborik, Richards, Kreider Callahan or Staal because they're key to this team's success. Stepan and Del Zotto would take a massive return to trade. Hagelin is not untouchable, and I just have a feeling Girardi is the odd man out on the blueline down the road, if the organization feels McIlrath is that good. Not that I necessarily agree with it, however.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
  #7
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
Forwards: Stepan, Kreider, Callahan, Richards, Gaborik.

I don't get rid of Gabby because you need a bonafide finisher. He didn't produce in the playoffs, but you still need someone to put in 35 and right now, he's the only one who can do that consistently.

D-Men: Staal, Mac Truck, Del Zotto.

I take dizzy because I think he's made strides in his own end and has that offensive touch the others in the group do not. you can get a good return for girardi..

plus i wanted to change it up so we actually have something to debate haha
Im fine with that hehe.

I just disagree with "we still need someone to put in 35+."

I'd rather have 5 twenty-goal scorers than 3 twenty goal scorers and a 40 goal scorer of that 40 goal scorer is a guy like Gaborik who is so much less effective and less of a threat in tight playoff games.

The Stanley Cup champion Bruins didn't have a guy score over 30 goals last season. They had a lot of 20+ goal scorers, four lines that all contributed on different nights, and defense and goaltending that are very similar to the Rangers current situation.

I do think we need more PRIMARY scoring that we can rely on in the playoffs, rather than simply adding secondary scoring like David Jones and thinking were going to see a different result than the team who struggled to score more than 2 goals.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
  #8
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,426
vCash: 500
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
  #9
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,636
vCash: 500
Yeah, we need another 25 goal guy for sure...but I don't think we need to move the assets and/or cap space needed to land a 35+ guy.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
  #10
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Richards
Callahan
Kreider
Stepan

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal

Lundqvist

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
  #11
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.
Rangers disagree with you.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
  #12
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.
haha I totally agree, man..

The thread is called "untouchable"....

If for some reason we could get Nash for Stepan, Dubinsky, and a first... I'm doing it.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
  #13
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Rangers disagree with you.
And I disagree with him.

Stepan has been in the league for only two seasons. I still think he'll be a comfortable, consistent 60 pt player.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
  #14
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Forwards:
Richards
Callahan
Kreider (For now)

Defensemen:
McDonagh
Girardi

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:23 PM
  #15
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.
Please elaborate.

And use realistic claims, because if we're being technical, Kreider is not untouchable either. I'm quite certain everyone here would trade Kreider for Stamkos.

We're talking "untouchable" as in players who won't even be considered in trade talks this offseason. As we know Stamkos isn't going to be offered by Tampa, we don't have to worry about moving Kreider for him or other similar young superstars. The same logic dictates that McDonagh is untouchable.

I think Stepan falls into this same category as the available stars this offseason aren't at the level that would make me justify moving Stepan.

Stepan for Ryan is a lateral move. Ryan's a better goal scorer, and is bigger, but Stepan is a much better playmaker, and younger and cheaper.

Stepan for Nash is the same issue, and Nash makes 7 times what Step does while Stepan's production may be at the same point level in a year or so.

So, why do you think Stepan shouldn't be in the same category as Kreider and McDonagh, even if he's not as sexy/flashy as they are? His vision and IQ go a long way, IMO.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
  #16
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Please elaborate.

And use realistic claims, because if we're being technical, Kreider is not untouchable either. I'm quite certain everyone here would trade Kreider for Stamkos.

We're talking "untouchable" as in players who won't even be considered in trade talks this offseason. As we know Stamkos isn't going to be offered by Tampa, we don't have to worry about moving Kreider for him or other similar young superstars. The same logic dictates that McDonagh is untouchable.

I think Stepan falls into this same category as the available stars this offseason aren't at the level that would make me justify moving Stepan.

Stepan for Ryan is a lateral move. Ryan's a better goal scorer, and is bigger, but Stepan is a much better playmaker, and younger and cheaper.

Stepan for Nash is the same issue, and Nash makes 7 times what Step does while Stepan's production may be at the same point level in a year or so.

So, why do you think Stepan shouldn't be in the same category as Kreider and McDonagh, even if he's not as sexy/flashy as they are? His vision and IQ go a long way, IMO.

hahahahaha yeah noooooooo

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
  #17
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.
ok so what other forward on the current roster would you take

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:29 PM
  #18
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
haha I totally agree, man..

The thread is called "untouchable"....

If for some reason we could get Nash for Stepan, Dubinsky, and a first... I'm doing it.
I gotta admit, I thought about it, but I wouldn't do it. Stepan is going to be a special player. He has that "it" factor that Derek Jeter has. I see him being extremely clutch. He has ice in his veins. Reminds me of Richards in many ways.

I'd deal DZ with Dubi and picks/prospect for Nash, but Stepan is already producing at 10 points less than Nash's average point total. Not worth it for ~10 extra points, even if most of them are goals, especially at 7 times more money than Stepan makes.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
  #19
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,399
vCash: 500
Untouchable
Lundqvist, Callahan

Are we getting Malkin?
Staal, Girardi, McD, Kreider

Better be making a big upgrade Slats
Stepan, Hagelin, MDZ

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
  #20
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Untouchable
Lundqvist, Callahan

Are we getting Malkin?
Staal, Girardi, McD, Kreider

Better be making a big upgrade Slats
Stepan, Hagelin, MDZ
Hahah I love the categories!

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
  #21
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Are we getting Malkin?
If Malkin is actually in play, then these teams ceases to have untouchables.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
  #22
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,636
vCash: 500
Yeah, other than Hank nobody on this team is untouchable for the right return. Who here wouldn't trade McDonagh for Stamkos or Kreider for Malkin?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
  #23
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, other than Hank nobody on this team is untouchable for the right return. Who here wouldn't trade McDonagh for Stamkos or Kreider for Malkin?
but lets be real because you know those guys arent getting traded. thats the whole point of the discussion.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
  #24
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, other than Hank nobody on this team is untouchable for the right return. Who here wouldn't trade McDonagh for Stamkos or Kreider for Malkin?
Then Lundqvist isn't untouchable either, though.

Lundqvist, Dubinsky, and Gaborik (for salary purposes) for Quick, Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Doughty.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
  #25
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Untouchables: Henrik, Callahan, Girardi, McD, Staal, Richards, Krieder

Not untouchable but over 90% chance these guys don't get moved; Stepan, Del Zotto, Hagelin, Fast, Miller, McLIrath, Fogarty, St. Croix

Could be moved but not really likely; Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, St. Croix, Yogan, Thomas

Franchise Players; Redden and Bickell

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.