HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

SCF Gm#1: KINGS Defeat DEVILS in OT 2-1, lead series 1-0 ...

Old
05-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
I want one of those sweaters lol.
I was thinking that yesterday. But, i want the real ones

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:11 AM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I was thinking that yesterday. But, i want the real ones

Lol

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:12 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
LOL the NHL Tonight crew calling Kopitars goal a fan,shank,whiff, as he scored on Marty. I dont think so.
It 100% was a shank (see the stick angle AND follow through).

Kopitar is trying to elevate the puck, as any good goal scorer would in that situation, because 90% of the time the ONLY part of the net a beaten goalie can usually recover - is along the ice. Brodeur, knowing this, smartly slightly elevates his pad, but Kopitar missed the shot as the "NHL Tonight" folk noted (MSG folk did too), and it goes in right along the ice. The tell-tale sign that reveals this is 1) the stick angle, but 2) more obviously, Kopitar's high follow-through which you would never intentionally do if you're trying to go low along the ice.

C'est la vie. Onto Game 2.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Fishhead

I can see why at first glance they might think it's a shank or fan, but looking at the replay it's obvious that isn't the case. He got a ton on that one, and he meant to put it there. The puck isn't going along the ice, it's a good 3 inches off and rising. He outwaited Marty, plain and simple.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:20 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

Kopitar is trying to elevate the puck, as any good goal scorer would in that situation, because 90% of the time the ONLY part of the net a beaten goalie can usually recover - is along the ice. Brodeur, knowing this, smartly slightly elevates his pad, but Kopitar missed the shot as the "NHL Tonight" folk noted (MSG folk did too), and it goes in right along the ice. The tell-tale sign that reveals this is 1) the stick angle, but 2) more obviously, Kopitar's high follow-through which you would never intentionally do if you're trying to go low along the ice.

Call it a shank, flank, skank, whatever you want - the fact is if that was Parise, it'd be a thing of beauty. Scoreboard baby - but at least you know that.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:21 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I can see why at first glance they might think it's a shank or fan, but looking at the replay it's obvious that isn't the case. He got a ton on that one, and he meant to put it there. The puck isn't going along the ice, it's a good 3 inches off and rising. He outwaited Marty, plain and simple.
No, it's obvious that it's a shank, which is why both networks filled with former players covering the game called it that. It doesn't matter, the Kings won. Just commenting on the play and what happened. As I said, if you've ever played the game, the high follow-through gives away exactly what Kopitar intended to do with the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
Call it a shank, flank, skank, whatever you want - the fact is if that was Parise, it'd be a thing of beauty. Scoreboard baby - but at least you know that.
Wow. Oh-kayyyy then. Well, I'm a reasonable poster and was just giving an actual hockey account for why all the former NHL players who currently work for and are paid by multiple television networks as analysts were saying that Kopitar shanked it.

And no, were Parise to have fanned an OT winner into the net, I'd be just as happy were it to have been the goal of the century, as the result is the same.

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 05-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old
05-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I agree. I watched the replay quite a few times just to make sure, but i see no shank..kopitar just waited for brodeur to move.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Shellz

Quote:
No, it's rather obvious that it's a shank, which is why both networks filled with former players covering the game called it that. It doesn't matter, the Kings won. Just commenting on the play and what happened. As I said, if you've ever played the game, the high follow-through gives away exactly what Kopitar intended to do with the shot.
Actually, there was a couple guys on ncb that said it wasnt a shank.

Old
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Ha ha, love your nick. (It's true.)

Brodeur made the right move by lifting his leg, anticipating the lifted puck. I am not so sure about calling the shot a "shank," however. I have the seen the reply several times and he clearly got the puck on the meat of the blade.

It doesn't matter. It hit the back of the net. That's all that counts, in my book.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

Call it whatever you want...I'll take it.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Shellz

Not sure why it matters to a devils fan? He still scored a thing of beauty

Old
05-31-2012, 01:25 AM
null33

Meh. That's Kopitar's preferred move. Wait for the goalie to open up, then slide the puck past him.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:28 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
NHL Network's Finals coverage absolutely blows. Whoever thought that adding Doug Weight and his arrogant smirk to the commentator staff was a good idea must have been on crack.

The guy wants to make me puke. In addition, they have far too many post-game commentators. Their usual studio crew of one anchor and two commentators is the best possible model.
Concur. Weight is awful.

And didn't really win that cup he won with Carolina (injured in game 4, didn't return).

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

They are repeating Bob and Jim right now, for those who missed it the first time.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Actually, there was a couple guys on nbc that said it wasnt a shank.
You're right.

It was a DeeeeeeeeRIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEE

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Kings had a lot of giveaways/turnovers tonight. Was a bit hard to tell if that was because of NJ's play or just bad passes... or a combination of the two.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post

He was so young.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:

No. Just no. Kopitar has seen Broduer lift the leg last minute and he purposely put it low. :shake head

Broduer is a class act though, but still, NO.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:36 AM
TheSlovenian

Kings with another lucky win. 13-2 lucky

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:38 AM
unhinged97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
LMFAO IS ANYONE WATCHING THE HIGHLIGHTS? Roggin has no idea what he's talking about.
He must've found the bowl of flour.

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Ha ha, love your nick. (It's true.)

Brodeur made the right move by lifting his leg, anticipating the lifted puck. I am not so sure about calling the shot a "shank," however. I have the seen the reply several times and he clearly got the puck on the meat of the blade.
He wants to lift it, but fails to do so. Check the (non-NBC) reverse angle of the goal (left side of ice behind the play). Kopitar's finish proves he's trying to go high with the puck, which isnt as easy to do as it sounds when you're moving with good speed like he was and in tight like he was.

Quote:
It doesn't matter. It hit the back of the net. That's all that counts, in my book.
Exactly. Only reason I bothered commenting on it was because 2 posters were slagging the NHL Network commentators that called it a partial fan, and I was just giving the hockey-perspective for why they said that, and how you can tell that they're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Kings had a lot of giveaways/turnovers tonight. Was a bit hard to tell if that was because of NJ's play or just bad passes... or a combination of the two.
My analysis of the game was that both teams played like absolute crap for 80% of the game.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:45 AM
outofrange

This was crazy, but they did it. They needed to go in there and win a game and now it's off to a good start. Kopitar was a sick mofo, and even though some are saying that it was a shank/whatev, they aren't giving Kopi enough credit. The guy has been doing that since he was a rookie. his patience is insane in that situation.

Also a few more observations:

* The guys all mentioned that they had a tough time playing on the ****** ice and that the humidity was sucking them dry. I hope the trainers have this under control so they can be ready to go game two at full-speed.

* The Devils are def. the most talented team we've faced. They play like us, and it'll be interesting what adjustments (if any) Sutter makes. I wouldn't mind Clifford or Gags going on that fourth line instead of Richardson, for one.

Anyway. Three more to go!

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:51 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Devils have lost game one twice already this playoffs. They will definitely be better in game two. However, the Kings really did not play their best either and can improve in all areas. Ahhh each freaking game gets bigger and bigger!

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:54 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
He wants to lift it, but fails to do so. Check the (non-NBC) reverse angle of the goal (left side of ice behind the play). Kopitar's finish proves he's trying to go high with the puck, which isnt as easy to do as it sounds when you're moving with good speed like he was and in tight like he was.

Exactly. Only reason I bothered commenting on it was because 2 posters were slagging the NHL Network commentators that called it a partial fan, and I was just giving the hockey-perspective for why they said that, and how you can tell that they're right.
Thank you for the explanations earlier.

We've moved on.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote