HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Draft 2012

Old
05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Personally I'd draft CHL high scoring kids undrafted by NHL teams (Traktor did something similar with Humphries as you already pointed out earlier). Other KHL teams probably didn't think so far ahead yet. Maybe they'll try that in the future.
Agree, I would do the same or scout Finland/Sweden deeper. But it is all about scouting and not all clubs have scouting departments (which scout ABROAD). You know, draft is new thing in KHL.. people have to learn, clubs have to create departments, hire scouts, have money etc. It takes time. I know that Sibir has good scouting in Czech republic and Finland for example.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Coramoor
Tarasenko received QO from SKA. He (and Thikhonov) is considering it.
I understand you with CHL/AHL route but in my eyes it is overrated. Look at Orlov. He did not play CHL, he left russia at 20, play immidiately NHL + a few games AHL. On the other site, Grigorenko chose CHL.. no neeed. He could sign with CSKA last summer, contract would expire after 13/14 season, then he could sign NHL. Russian hockey federation consider leaving for CHL as the worst option for a kid. Therefore such rules. Playing AHL is not good as well, but a bit better than CHL.
Defencemen are a little different. They should know Defence (there is an argument that russia doesn't really make top defencemen, orlov seems to be an exception but time will tell). Some will probably succeed in CHL/AHL environment better then others. However top russian offensive candidates are notoriously bad at playing defence and back-checking by nhl standards. Of course the RHF consider CHL a bad option, purely cause it deprives their league of revenues and future stars

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:58 AM
zorz

Quote:
Agree, I would do the same or scout Finland/Sweden deeper. But it is all about scouting and not all clubs have scouting departments (which scout ABROAD). You know, draft is new thing in KHL.. people have to learn, clubs have to create departments, hire scouts, have money etc. It takes time. I know that Sibir has good scouting in Czech republic and Finland for example.
I think also pyschology could play some role in this. These CHL kids maybe feel partially bitter about them going undrafted by NHL despite of their effort, who knows. With them being picked in KHL draft, they'd have something to feel good about and therefore could be more willing to come over to play in KHL in younger age.

But KHL really needs to drop foreigners per team limit to make this work.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Robotic

Although even if KHL drops foreigner limit, teams will still want to be made up of mostly domestic players as is evidenced by Dinamo Riga, Minsk, Barys (to lesser), Czech/Slovak teams.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
Although even if KHL drops foreigner limit, teams will still want to be made up of mostly domestic players as is evidenced by Dinamo Riga, Minsk, Barys (to lesser), Czech/Slovak teams.
Or Donbass? Both Minsk and Barys plays foreigners 75% of the time so I don't agree with you. Weren't there more Czech players in Poprad than Slovaks too? Of course teams with good hockey schools will try to keep as many graduates as possible, but I don't think anyone is expecting to see a more than 10 foreigners on most Russian teams in any case.

Anyway, the biggest gain will be the drop of the salary for Russian players who are a deficit currently because the league this big really stretches Russia resources. Lesser teams won't be forced to overpay, frankly speaking, VHLers just to fill the roster.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Robotic

Poprad was more of a Slovak/Czech initiative, just based in Poprad. Barys and Minsk were more about half, but Russian clubs will stay mostly Russian.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
Poprad was more of a Slovak/Czech initiative, just based in Poprad. Barys and Minsk were more about half, but Russian clubs will stay mostly Russian.
As I already wrote, no sane person is doubting that. But there could be more these half-foreigner teams.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:56 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
As I already wrote, no sane person is doubting that. But there could be more these half-foreigner teams.
you are right, as Vityaz'/Avto/Kuznya/Sibir' will go out and buy minor-league NA in bunches< as they are cheaper.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Slitty

To make the protection game a little more interesting and remove the potential for abuse (picking players from a given team 5x in a row)... I think that teams should not get the opportunity to re-pick if any selection gets voided due to protection.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:27 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
To make the protection game a little more interesting and remove the potential for abuse (picking players from a given team 5x in a row)... I think that teams should not get the opportunity to re-pick if any selection gets voided due to protection.
that's stupid...why should a team loose a pick just for that reason? they have done nothing wrong, but I would for say suggest putting the team back in the que (from wherever it's picking to last in the round) so they can't attack one team like that

Old
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I would reduce amount of protection (from 5 to 3) OR best clubs in developing kids (make some rules how to judge it) would have 5 protections, worse only 4 etc

Old
05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
that's stupid...why should a team loose a pick just for that reason? they have done nothing wrong, but I would for say suggest putting the team back in the que (from wherever it's picking to last in the round) so they can't attack one team like that
better option is just to make it so they can't pick the same team during the same pick, that way they can only burn 1 protection per team

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:47 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
better option is just to make it so they can't pick the same team during the same pick, that way they can only burn 1 protection per team
Actually not a bad idea.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
cska78

Quote:
I would reduce amount of protection (from 5 to 3) OR best clubs in developing kids (make some rules how to judge it) would have 5 protections, worse only 4 etc
yeah, that's just great, there are 5-7 organization that have great schools, and for $100k per player they gonna feed the whole league, while some spend $3,000,000 a year for their schools....

Old
06-01-2012, 01:28 AM
yunost

Its unheard of for more than 2 players from a graduating class in the school to make the main team, especially the same club.

Going by the 5player protection logic, every 3 years 15 players should be replacing almost the entire roster lol. Even with a VHL team, still 5 graduates is excessive. If alot of your juniors get drafted away IMO it might be a good thing for hockey because you would start having to tap into other places. For example if the CSKA class was severely depletes, they would have to look into Moscow Sharks, and Moscow Bears junior teams for more talent, tapping into nontraditional markets.

KHL VP that 3 player protection is the ideal. Ofcource the right amount of compensation has to be installed, and not just an arbitrary number but with serious actuarial R&D. Since teams should not be demoted from raising top-notch players in their academies. IMO a team should be happy that they can get compensation for their 4th and 5th... players. That money can be put towards other things. And hey, if your that desperate, use your 1st round pick on your 4th best graduate, which I seriously doubt will be a first round choice available.

Also the protection thing is a circus as it is now. Firs of all, to the posters above, I dont think a team should be 'punished' for trying to pick a player they dont know will be protected. I dont see how that makes sense. So the team gets 5 protections and on top of that can bump 5 teams to the end of the 'que'!!?? Thats the 5 protection rule on steroids! you can protect players and get a better spot in the draft list just because someone dares to touch your class. thats sort of like a 'whole graduating class protection rule'.

I think the protection should be picked before the draft, and not available for selection, with these selections not made public so that a team can honestly choose who they want, but if they pick a player that happens to be protected, they have to pick from a different team. This way if they pick an unprotected player, good for them. The other protected ones are still not known. Also if they happen to pick a protected one, they cant pick from the same team so they cant try to uncover the rest. Seems kind of intricate, but I think its fair.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:53 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I think the protection should be picked before the draft, and not available for selection
It worked like that in past, believe in 2009 maybe 2010. Club named a few own kids (dont know amount, but it was more than 3-5 IMO), who were not available for selection. I dont think it is good idea because the best are not at draft - bad for PR. Yes, best guys will be always protected but at least they are at draft.. example of Nichunskin. It was good PR that he was here

Old
11-27-2012, 05:04 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20121127/177767095.html

Sorry Mr. Golubev, I can't disagree with you more. I don't know why he is so concerned, not like he plays any of them anyways... You sign more guys than you can dress and then make a complaint about keeping young guys around. who has been grown by Kazan in recent times through their KHL team:

Mayorov - left to NA, didn't come back
Burmistrov - left to NA
Petrov - was loaned to Yugra before making iton to the top lines
Bocharov - loaned to Yugra

Young guys who dont see a lot of ice

Bodrov, Golubev etc.. would benefit from playing somewhere else. Im sure the players are happy to be drafted where they will get an opportunity.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:36 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20121127/177767095.html

Sorry Mr. Golubev, I can't disagree with you more. I don't know why he is so concerned, not like he plays any of them anyways... You sign more guys than you can dress and then make a complaint about keeping young guys around. who has been grown by Kazan in recent times through their KHL team:

Mayorov - left to NA, didn't come back
Burmistrov - left to NA
Petrov - was loaned to Yugra before making iton to the top lines
Bocharov - loaned to Yugra

Young guys who dont see a lot of ice

Bodrov, Golubev etc.. would benefit from playing somewhere else. Im sure the players are happy to be drafted where they will get an opportunity.
wow, of all people the guy who's team robbed Tolyatti for young players for years, and elsewhere as well. Lukoyanov is the only player who came through their system, but he's not a Kazan' pupil, but of Almetyevsk.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

malkinfan

Agree with you, but Mayorov came back last summer, signed with Ak Bars and was traded to Atlant, where he is playing now

Old
11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
malkinfan

Agree with you, but Mayorov came back last summer, signed with Ak Bars and was traded to Atlant, where he is playing now
oh i didnt know

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:41 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
oh i didnt know
Maxim Mayorov stats http://www.khl.ru/players/14695/