HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Diablo 3 - Stay Awhile And Listen

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

vCash: 500
Anyone interested in buying the blacksmith plan for this item: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/b...lai-yuis-taiji

There's none on sale in the AH. Looking for a good price since each staff is sold around 50k-100k gold on the AH.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:01 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
On a separate note, numerous reports of player losing lvl 50+ HC characters due to servers dropping, and Blizz simply saying "soz, but we don't do backsies on HC toons for ANY reason", just goes to show how much that company is influenced by Activision.
Disgusting.
Sounds like retards not reading the big red lettered warning you get when you make a hardcore character followed by a confirmation prompt.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:38 AM
last_sd

Hi, I didn't read through all 1000 post from the original thread.

Question to all Canadian users out there.

1. Do any of you have a authenticator.
2. If yes, have you ever tried using French version? (only asking people who don't speak French regularly)

Reason I ask is because Futureshop and Bestbuy only carry French version of authenticator. (I'm not very good with French)

I don't mind ordering from Battle.net for English version but it takes at least 2 weeks for delivery.

Thanks in advance!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Hi, I didn't read through all 1000 post from the original thread.

Question to all Canadian users out there.

1. Do any of you have a authenticator.
2. If yes, have you ever tried using French version? (only asking people who don't speak French regularly)

Reason I ask is because Futureshop and Bestbuy only carry French version of authenticator. (I'm not very good with French)

I don't mind ordering from Battle.net for English version but it takes at least 2 weeks for delivery.

Thanks in advance!
Most people I know bought the digital copy. If you're not against doing that, it should be the simplest form of installation.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
dogbazinho

Yeah I don't feel too bad about the HC players. The lag, server reboots, bugs, stealth nerfs are exactly why I don't want to play HC.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I don't get the folks who play HC. I must've died like a few hundred times before reaching inferno.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I don't get the folks who play HC. I must've died like a few hundred times before reaching inferno.
Really? I only died twice before getting to Inferno. Now I am in Inferno I died about 20-30 times before I got to Leoric.

Last edited by Towers: 05-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Richard 37 View Post
I don't understand why some players are so anti-AH.
It's because, because of it, they have ruined the only thing people even care to play Diablo games for a long time : acquiring phat lewtz. There is the PvP crowd too, but they are a small minority. Besides, there is no PvP in the game as of now and who knows whether players will actually enjoy the arena PvP that they're planning to add in the game at some point.

That's all there is to do in the game, finding items. If you make it very difficult to do so because of the auction house, and they have admitted to doing just that, then there is essentially nothing left to do. People want to farm for items, not for gold to spend on the auction house.

The game was built around the AH. The AH wasn't added for convenience, it is the core of the game. As such, they have greatly diminished the fun that players have in the game itself in order to maximise revenues from the real money AH (amusingly enough, the AH has been so broken for so long that they likely lost many thousands of potential users). It's a disgusting business practice, but one that we're seeing more of every year from the large players in the industry... it's a shame.

Last edited by Montreal Typical: 05-31-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
It's because, because of it, they have ruined the only thing people even care to play Diablo games for a long time : acquiring phat lewtz. There is the PvP crowd too, but they are a small minority. Besides, there is no PvP in the game as of now and who knows whether players will actually enjoy the arena PvP that they're planning to add in the game at some point.

That's all there is to do in the game, finding items. If you make it very difficult to do so because of the auction house, and they have admitted to doing just that, then there is essentially nothing left to do. People want to farm for items, not for gold to spend on the auction house.

The game was built around the AH. The AH wasn't added for convenience, it is the core of the game. As such, they have greatly diminished the fun that players have in the game itself in order to maximise revenues from the real money AH (amusingly enough, the AH has been so broken for so long that they likely lost many thousands of potential users). It's a disgusting business practice, but one that we're seeing more of every year from the large players in the industry... it's a shame.
I'm sorry, but you can still acquire phat lewt. You might just have been unlucky, but I myself have found an upgrade over the weapon I bought on the AH a couple times, it's rare but it does happen which makes it that much more exciting. I've found other pieces of equipment that I could use, I've found legendaries, I've also found items which could sell at a premium on the AH. The excitement is still there. You can't buy every single pieces on the AH, or else you'll run out of money at one point. If you're trying real hard to convince yourself that the AH is ruining all the excitement in the game, then don't be surprised if you don't have that excitement anymore. It's still there for me.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Not to mention, the thrill of finding good items is still there. Not only for your own use, but for other people.

If I find a good item that I can't use (or is worse than my current gear), I put it up in the Auction House. A few hours later, the item is sold, I've made a nice profit and I'm a little bit closer to buying the items I actually need in the AH.

Now, once the RMAH comes out and the Gold AH dries up in the process, that may change my mind.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:55 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
I don't understand why some players are so anti-AH. People are refusing to use it, then complaining about not having solid gear for survival. It's a key aspect in the game, so embrace it, or at least TRY to.

Also, Corto, I respect your opinion, but you're just repeating yourself at this point. I love Dark Souls as much as the next fan, but I'm not playing Dark Souls.

I dunno, I guess I look at it differently than most folks. When I buy a game, I embrace all the things I love about it, instead of dwelling on the things I dislike. It makes for a better experience.

If ya don't like a game, no harm no foul... But, move on!

Old
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
DeadGator401

Quote:
I don't understand why some players are so anti-AH. People are refusing to use it, then complaining about not having solid gear for survival. It's a key aspect in the game, so embrace it, or at least TRY to.

Also, Corto, I respect your opinion, but you're just repeating yourself at this point. I love Dark Souls as much as the next fan, but I'm not playing Dark Souls.

I dunno, I guess I look at it differently than most folks. When I buy a game, I embrace all the things I love about it, instead of dwelling on the things I dislike. It makes for a better experience.

If ya don't like a game, no harm no foul... But, move on!
^ Exactly.

Here's the messed up part, I actually enjoy farming. I turn on some music, and farm, and the prospect of finding something awesome is, well, awesome.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Most people I know bought the digital copy. If you're not against doing that, it should be the simplest form of installation.
Oh I already have the game.
My question was about the authenticators. (those usb looking things which is suppose to help with hack prevention)

Old
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Oh I already have the game.
My question was about the authenticators. (those usb looking things which is suppose to help with hack prevention)
You can get the authenticator for free on a Smartphone through B.Net

Old
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
You can get the authenticator for free on a Smartphone through B.Net
sadly my phone is not one of the ones that is supported

Old
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Snipeshow

Noob question, or maybe I just call it something else, but is Farming basically just replaying certain parts of maps to level up?

Old
05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Noob question, or maybe I just call it something else, but is Farming basically just replaying certain parts of maps to level up?
Nah, that's grinding. Farming is replaying certain parts of maps to get gear.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
If you recall, D2 wasn't a complete gear check. If you didn't have epic gear, you had certain classes/builds that you could still play perfectly well, like Hammerdin, Sorceress, or Trapasin. You wouldn't be quite as good as one with great gear, but you could play them well enough to farm for better gear.

You don't have that option in D3. Every single build of every single class is 100% gear checked. You either have to gear for inferno or you don't. If you don't, your only recourse is to buy it off the AH. A complementary problem is that the gear in D3 is so deathly boring. There isn't a single interesting stat in the whole damn game, they're all just numbers. And unless you find that perfect rare with +main stat, +vit, +all resists, it's worthless.

I haven't played in two days, and frankly I'm not sure when I'll get the urge to play again.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I haven't played in two days, and frankly I'm not sure when I'll get the urge to play again.
Yeah, my best friend and I feel the same way.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
DallasSports

I think the main issue is that the game lacks the replay value of D2. While a big part of D2's success came as a result of a few patches that reinvigorated the community, I don't see them putting together similar patches in D3 (at least for free, we'll see if they want to wrap it into an expansion pack).

The auction house is only one of the factors. Using gold as the only currency was a poor decision when there are few viable ways of dumping it out of the economy. As a result, you see prices of items dropping like crazy. 1 million gold a week ago doesn't buy you much compared to what 1 million gold does right now.

The economy in D2 was essentially set by the users. You had stuff like Perfect Skulls and SOJs back in classic and stuff like Pul+ runes, HRs, Perfect Amethysts/Rubies, already-crafted runewords, and more in the expansion. These are all obtainable, but they are either difficult to find or they are easily dumped out of the economy when they are used to roll something.

Quote:
If you recall, D2 wasn't a complete gear check. If you didn't have epic gear, you had certain classes/builds that you could still play perfectly well, like Hammerdin, Sorceress, or Trapasin. You wouldn't be quite as good as one with great gear, but you could play them well enough to farm for better gear.

You don't have that option in D3. Every single build of every single class is 100% gear checked. You either have to gear for inferno or you don't. If you don't, your only recourse is to buy it off the AH. A complementary problem is that the gear in D3 is so deathly boring. There isn't a single interesting stat in the whole damn game, they're all just numbers. And unless you find that perfect rare with +main stat, +vit, +all resists, it's worthless.

Exactly. That's the problem with removing skill trees. On top of the fact that everyone now has access to the same skills, everything now is gear dependent and the gear itself is becoming cheaper and cheaper.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I think a lot of fans apply the "elbows too pointy, would not bang" philosophy to AAA video games these days. They let comparatively small issues completely tarnish their opinion of the game despite the strong possibility that they enjoyed it/would enjoy it.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
LSnow

Having played d2 from the first day it arrived, comparing d2 to d3 is like comparing acdc to nickelback.. It is good game, but its now made for mindless hordes of idiot WoW players..

- Graphics are retarded, too WoWish, too bright.. Its a christmas tree !!
- Monsters / combat system is ruined.. The game feels like continuous cow lvl x 100..
- Customization systems suck ass.. Spells are idiotic, half of them are copies of each other and rest are stolen from wow.
- Items suck ass.. Too many different lvls of allmost identical gear..
- Too much item dmg / spell dmg..
- Community, that i was myself creating is now destroyed..
- Story is horrible, i could have created more complex one in 10 minutes..
- No longer unique items.. Only rares, and those doesnt excite anyone..
- Teleport is taken away..

But i still play it and its a good game, but wow is complete crap and im sad that they had to imitate it at all.. ;P

Old
05-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

This game allegedly has a decade of polish so pointy elbows syndrome is kinda warranted considering everything.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is a gross exaggeration, if you're a wizard or DH you pretty much only need boots with 10+% speed and you can get by in inferno just fine. That's not saying you can kill every single elite, but that was the case in D2 as well.. You run into a pack that's immune to your spells and you couldn't do anything in D2. What do you know, you also listed that sorc, trapsin and hammerdin wasn't as gear dependent. Well 2 classes in D3 aren't as gear dependent either.

I'm in act 2 on my Sorc in Inferno, have trouble with elites of those jumper/burrowing mobs but everything else is pretty much a cakewalk. I've been farming act 1 more because I haven't really cared about trying to finish the game quite yet as I suspect I'd probably get rolled in Act 4 and parts of 3.

I'm all for criticizing a game but at least use criticisms that are valid. Some classes are gear dependent and some aren't in BOTH D2 and D3.

(Running under 20k hp on my Wiz with just movement boots and weapons being my only items I've bought on the AH and am doing fine. Barb and monk... that's another story but you seemed okay that some classes weren't as good in D2 so, whatever)

The game is far from perfect, I'm just saying that "all classes require you to be incredibly geared to get by in inferno" is a false statement.

Edit: Another thing, not all items that don't have main stat, vit, resist all are worthless. You can sell decent items on the AH and still make money towards buying really expensive items. Not every item you sell has to sell for 1m+ I've sold some pretty ****** items in the past few days for 20-50k a piece. I get about 4-5 items that I can sell for that amount per inferno butcher run.

Last edited by KpopandHockey: 05-31-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSports View Post
The economy in D2 was essentially set by the users. You had stuff like Perfect Skulls and SOJs back in classic. These are all obtainable, but they are either difficult to find or they are easily dumped out of the economy when they are used to roll something.
I will disagree with you on these points. I played D2 for two rounds. One in about 2005 for about 6 months and then another round in 2007 for about a year. In 05 (around the time of Soul Scratch and Bowazons), things worked great. 40 PSkulls was about 1 gull. 2 gulls were worth about 1 SOJ, etc. The round in 07 was horrible (around the reign of hammerdins and PVP necros as well as a ton of duping). There was almost NO WAY to break the SOJ value barrier. I could offer 1 million Pskulls or a stash full of Gulls, but you still wouldn't get an SOJ. You had to either find a godly item or buy something with cash. People either had godly accounts (SOJ+) or were newbs (no SOJs). It was very difficult to get anything worth value even playing for crazy hours.

I personally think the way D3 is using gold is a MAJOR improvement from D2. Gold was worthless and items were very hard to value compared to other items. Now, D3 ties everything together with gold. New players can save up gold to buy better items. Great accounts still can value everything based on gold as well. Much better than the later times of D2.

I do think there will be some problems though. I bet inflation is going to be killer in time and items for like 100 mil wont be out of the question. There is a constant and huge increase in the available gold everyday. The 15% from the AH is not enough to deplete the overflowing supply. I also think the RMAH is going to play a big factor as well. I don't like the idea of items being worth real money, but we'll see what happens I guess.

Closed Thread