HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quotes that had Nashville radio talking this morning (re: Hal Gill).

Old
05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Quotes that had Nashville radio talking this morning (re: Hal Gill).

Quotes from Hal Gill and articles included. Back handed slap at Nashville especially the fans, WOW! Does Suter and Weber feel the same way? Nashville radio was fired up this morning to say the least.

quote 1: “In Nashville, where they assume everyone’s from everywhere, I heard, ‘Good luck with your transfer,’ not my trade,” he said, laughing now. “In the playoffs, the energy did get ramped up. But here, it’s crazy.”

quote 2: "I had a good exit meeting in Nashville. We’re going to try to work something out. It’s hard to compare Nashville to anything I’ve been a part of: Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal. In Nashville, if you make a turnover and cost a goal, you’re not afraid of the boos. You really have to be awful to be noticed. You can just go out there and play. It’s great but I don’t know how long you’d last before you’d get complacent.

The great part about playing in Montreal is you have a Tuesday night game against Columbus and in the streets you hear, “Do you think (Rick) Nash is going to be traded?” There’s a story for everything. A Tuesday Predators game against Carolina in Nashville, no one’s going to be talking about it."

Article 1: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...oves-montreal/

Article 2: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...to-be-noticed/

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:53 AM
JamestheSame

I don't see anything wrong with these quotes. We knew Gill still loved Montreal when he came here, and I honestly figured he would play a couple more years and retire up there.

As far as the comments on Nashville go, I think he is spot on. We have alot of die hard hockey fans here, but for the most part the entire fan base doesn't boo players based off performance.

I don't think Gill meant anything by it. He was just being honest. Without feeling the pressure to perform some people would get complacent.

JamestheSame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:59 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

2012 playoff record with Gill in the Line up 1-4 without Gill 4-1. Never really impressed me anyway.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:31 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I agree with both posts. Nothing was wrong or false with what he said. Hell, hockey is at the bottom of popularity in all the American cities. Boston, New York, Dallas...that quote could be said about any city outside of Canada.

I also agree that I wasn't impressed. I didn't think he was ever going to be a game changer, but I thought he'd step it up in the playoffs. He was either injured or useless.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

he was basically a giant greg zanon. it's not that he was some defensive virtuoso, he was just big and blocked shots. His footspeed got him into trouble, and if he was out of position, he was in bad shape.

For someone that was supposed to ease our reliance on Klein, Klein badly outplayed him from the day the trade was made on.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:33 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Gill played on a fractured tibia. I'm not about to judge him for his playoff form when he should have been on crutches.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
hatedandproud

I honestly don't see the big deal.

So he heard someone say transfer instead of trade. yawn. Of course ignorant people will assume that everybody says that because of the Nashville/Southern/hillbilly stereotype that floats around.

He is comparing the atmosphere (noise) in montreal and Nashville. The Bell Center holds what, 4,000 more people than our arena. Yeah, I think it might get louder there. It's not like he said "Yeah the crowd there is overrated .. they really suck."

So he's not afraid of hearing boos here. OK, from what I've seen the fans down here don't usually boo their teams. It's a cultural thing, doesn't mean we don't notice bad play. You have to be really awful to get boo'd, not to get noticed. I think Hal hasn't spent enough time down here to pick up on the fact that people are more polite and respectful than some other places.
And if he lets the level of his play rise or fall based on the level of emotion showed by the fans, then how much of a professional is he?

Finally, his comments about the tuesday games in each market ... is he wrong? I've heard Hockey fans talking about other Hockey related things, but the general public on the street ... no.

Again, don't see anything to get fired up about.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
token grinder

I took the boo thing as a complement. I took it as when a guy makes a mistake, he can generally forget about it, stay loose and move on rather than hear boos for your next few shifts where you start thinking rather than playing.

I wouldn't make too much of it

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
VFL615*

It was taken a little differently by a person who has played professional sports on local radio. He had some good arguments and his view was interesting since he was a former pro. You can take it both ways and it could also be taken as Nashville fans do not know anything about hockey and they do not notice until you really screw up. Also noting that if it takes the fans to motivate you into not being complacent than something is not right especially if you are not afraid of the coaches if you get complacent.
Yeah the thing about no one talking hockey is true in a lot of places and could be one reason that guys who play hockey at the pro level flock to places where it is life. So i guess Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, Colorado, and many others better get used to it.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Juneemoon

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:12 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Godspeed Mr. Gill. Go back to Montreal and get booed. You will be missed. By someone. Maybe.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

so if the choices for next season are signing Cube or Gill, at roughly the same money, who do you sign?

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
so if the choices for next season are signing Cube or Gill, at roughly the same money, who do you sign?
neither

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
OK, that's funny.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Predarat

Guess they got tired of debating HassleBack/Locker

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:43 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
hal gill

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
OK, that's funny.
That pic is pretty damn funny.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Gill, for the right money.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
codeman00

I'm really surprised that anyone here could downplay Gill's play on the ice. The guy wasn't the fastest by any means but he was almost always in position and when he wasn't, his incredible reach would still break up the play. Not to mention his ability to neutralize almost anyone that he wanted, any time that he wanted. His ability to solidly pin an opponent against the glass at will was great for our defense.

We knew that that Gill was hurt pretty bad because of the level of secrecy during speculation of his return. Little did we know, he actually had a BROKEN LEG and had to freeze his leg before every game to play?!? That's crazy. I personally appreciated what he brought to the table. I know he's not the youngest guy; he himself said that he enjoyed his time here and it made him feel younger. He seems to have the right attitude, experience, size and skill....and I enjoyed watching him render guys ineffective. To badmouth the guy in anyway, seems kind of ridiculous to me.

I would 100% bring Gill back if it didn't break the bank.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Gill, without hesitation. Bouillon elevated his game in the playoffs, but Gill's reach and positioning make him a much better fit. If we can sign him for his current cap number ($2.25M) or less, I'd call that a no-brainer.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
2012 playoff record with Gill in the Line up 1-4 without Gill 4-1. Never really impressed me anyway.
To be fair, he had a broken leg.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
To be fair, he had a broken leg.
our record with trade deadline acquisitions suffering injuries is aggravating, to say the least..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:08 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yeah...injuries or not, the fact we gave up 1st and 2nd rounders for not very much production stings. If/when Suter leaves, it'll hurt more.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah...injuries or not, the fact we gave up 1st and 2nd rounders for not very much production stings. If/when Suter leaves, it'll hurt more.
Or, try and build a better team in the off season so Poile doesn't have to overpay in February and March to address the holes in the roster. But anyway.....

I'd welcome Gill back at the right price. Just not sure what the market would be for him elsewhere and hope that departures of other players don't mean that Poile is willing to overpay just because the money will be there as a result.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Gill played on a fractured tibia. I'm not about to judge him for his playoff form when he should have been on crutches.
He never impressed me even before the broken foot. "Stand Still Gill" or "Skillsey" (with a chuckle) are very apt descriptions.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote