HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

So Goaltending.....

Old
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
lol

For a mod to post the comment from Botta -- which between the lines, inherently bashes DP and the Isles mgmt, and then tells us not to Bash DP is nuts.

Why make the post then?

Its like posting a pic of a girl in a bikini, and saying -- "Dont discuss the pic"

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
On thing I noticed about Nilsson is, despite his size, he has really good reflexes, quite fast. Though my belief is Poulin will be the better goalie. I think this year he really brings it. We forget that last season, he was first coming back from a MAJOR knee injury. He had a tough first half in the AHL, but really was a major reason for the big winning streak late in the season, as well as getting the team into the playoffs. Nilsson was better than Poulin early in the season. Second half, Poulin was better. Probably because he was getting closer to being 100% healthy.
nilsson had the high ankle sprain towards the end of the year and they had to shut him down...poulin has clear flaws that he needs to work on to be a starting nhl goaltender..i'm not saying he isn't going to be good i just think if he doesn't fix those flaws as i have mentioned then he will not be a franchise goalie. Nilsson's potential is through the roof...his combination of technique and size is something that i havent seen in a while..also poulin was ahl goalie of the month in january and nilsson won it in feburary so he was just as good later in the season..

Last edited by NYI78: 05-30-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
even if there is a buy out option in the new CBA we will not buy out DP.
The fact that he's number 3 makes it appear if there is a buyout option the Isles have to heavily consider it. Maybe, just maybe CW and GS finally know that DP is NOT the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
lol

For a mod to post the comment from Botta -- which between the lines, inherently bashes DP and the Isles mgmt, and then tells us not to Bash DP is nuts.

Why make the post then?

Its like posting a pic of a girl in a bikini, and saying -- "Dont discuss the pic"
Because the issue of goaltending is worthy of discussion, but some feel the need to endlessly bash DP and it detracts from the real discussion. Listen, DP has his faults. They're well known and he deserves the criticism when its warranted, and they're well documented in previous threads. We don't need to go off the same cliff over and over again in regards to DP.

05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
nilsson had the high ankle sprain towards the end of the year and they had to shut him down...poulin has clear flaws that he needs to work on to be a starting nhl goaltender..i'm not saying he isn't going to be good i just think if he doesn't fix those flaws as i have mentioned then he will not be a franchise goalie. Nilsson's potential is through the roof...his combination of technique and size is something that i havent seen in a while..also poulin was ahl goalie of the month in january and nilsson won it in feburary so he was just as good later in the season..
Wasn't Poulin up in the NHL in February ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Wow great article.. hes been our #3 goalie since 2008. Trust me, if he is healthy they will throw him in as many times as possible.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
JKP

Personally, I think it's premature to have this conversation until camp and we see how they each perform.

We know without doubt (barring one of the prospects being traded for an asset over the summer) who the personnel are, but just I don't think we can predict until they compete in training camp what will happen beyond Nabakov being the presumed #1.

I'm still willing to give DP the benefit of the doubt that he can work his way back to being an NHL goalie, but we've got to see what he does in camp and if he can go more than two weeks without mangling his body in some way. I'd say odds are against it but I do expect the Isles to let the kids and DP fight to earn the backup role.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Unless there's an amnesty clause Rick will be on the roster and his salary will be hitting the cap this season. It sucks but we all know it's true, I have no animosity towards DP what so ever, this whole situation is on the front office. I'm not even 90% sure if there was an amnesty clause they'd use it on the Rick with the way Wang runs things.

Nabakov proved this season he is a legit number one goalie and should be getting as much reps in net as possible. My question is, is it best for poulin to be a backup in the NHL or starting down in Bridgeport for another year.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Not much to see here.

Nabakov is the starter. Poulin and Nilsson are battling it out for the back-up position.

We've known that for a while now.

Would be shocked to Dipietro even smell time in the show unless two of these three are hurt at any one time.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I can't see him being sent down under Wang's watch, plus Wang needs his cap hit.
Wang's probably working on some scheme to keep Ricky's cap hit without having to actually pay him. Ballin' outta control

I'm hoping against hope that with Nabokov's commitment to the club, plus two young potential stars fighting for the #2 job, they'll do the right thing and keep Glass Rick far away from the situation. History suggests this will not be the case.

05-30-2012, 04:34 PM
malPHONEY

It feels like forever that Poulin (and Nilsson to a lesser extent) has been waiting in the wings. Hopefully he earns more than a cup of coffee this year.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:47 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
There will be no amnesty period in the NHL. The only reason why there was one for the lockout is because there wasn't a salary cap put in place when those contracts were originally signed. Every team had a chance to buy out their players-and everyone's signed knowing the risks and rewards. We will not be able to buy-out DP and get amnesty.

As far as goaltending goes-make him the backup. Honestly we need to hit the floor. Nilsson/Poulin still need grooming before making the NHL (although this is the Islanders here), and they're not going to beat out Nabby anyways. Have Nabby/DP this season, and see where the chips fall.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
There will be no amnesty period in the NHL. The only reason why there was one for the lockout is because there wasn't a salary cap put in place when those contracts were originally signed. Every team had a chance to buy out their players-and everyone's signed knowing the risks and rewards. We will not be able to buy-out DP and get amnesty.

As far as goaltending goes-make him the backup. Honestly we need to hit the floor. Nilsson/Poulin still need grooming before making the NHL (although this is the Islanders here), and they're not going to beat out Nabby anyways. Have Nabby/DP this season, and see where the chips fall.
Well, if DP is not the backup I doubt we'd go into the season under the floor anyway, unless we'd want to forfeit draft picks and/or games

The NBA had a salary cap before and after the recent lockout yet they gave every team an amnesty clause.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Even with an amnesty clause, DP's buyout plus another player has to be less than DP on IR with the cap hit as it stands now for Wang.

Whatever is cheapest to get away with, not what makes sense. DP not bought out means he's gonna save Wang the cost of Poulin's NHL salary for two-three weeks before leprosy sets in. The penny pinching twit probably has this as his highest priority, not selling out the barn with a winning team.

If Montoya comes in at league minimum, look for another team to spend on him, as we'll save money with one fewer goalies if Poulin is ready or not. Then it's even money if they announce Poulin earning his way back or DP with an aggravated lower body injury.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:01 PM
StumpNYI

Hypothetical scenario...

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final 2015

Poulin is out and Nilsson goes down late in the 2nd with the NYI up by a goal

Dipietro comes in cold and makes a 20+ save performance in the third completely tearing his body apart to hang on for that elusive 5th Stanely Cup. Tavares hands him the Cup first. He holds it high above his head as he limps around the Nassau Coliseum ice one last time. He saves the franchise and becomes a hero.

Rest of his career he plays injured. The same as prior to that one period.

As a fan, is his contract justified?

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
whendogsdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Hypothetical scenario...

Dipietro comes in cold and makes a 20+ save performance in the third completely tearing his body apart to hang on for that elusive 5th Stanely Cup. Tavares hands him the Cup first. He holds it high above his head as he limps around the Nassau Coliseum ice one last time. He saves the franchise and becomes a hero.

I've never done drugs before, but this post makes me feel like I am missing out.

whendogsdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by whendogsdream View Post
I've never done drugs before, but this post makes me feel like I am missing out.
Bath salts. All the cool kids do it.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:59 AM
JTforPres2012

The one span during the middle of the season where the isles won around 10 out of 15 games was when Nabby was just outright spectactular. That 1-0 shuout vs. the Flyers was just sensational.

Having that sense of comfort with Nabby in net and having him help out the young guys is something that I believe will truly pay off in the long run.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
The one span during the middle of the season where the isles won around 10 out of 15 games was when Nabby was just outright spectactular. That 1-0 shuout vs. the Flyers was just sensational.

Having that sense of comfort with Nabby in net and having him help out the young guys is something that I believe will truly pay off in the long run.
Though I really like and appreciate Nabby, those 10-15 games, Nabby was playing for his life, either boosting his tradeablility, or trying to make it hard for the Isles to trade him. Right AFTER the trade deadline, he played like crap right until he got hurt. Hopefully we get a whole season of pre-trade deadline Nabby this season, though I expect them to trade Nabby at the deadline this year if we are out of the playoff race yet again.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Bath salts. All the cool kids do it.
All the cool zombies, you mean.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Hypothetical scenario...

LOL funny scenario.. truth be told yes it would be worth all of it. All sins forgiven once you win the cup. In a New York minute everything can change

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
It would be best if DP could stay healthy enough to play backup so Poulin and Nilsson have another year to develop in the AHL. Also, who knows if Nabokov will be able to keep up his pace (if that was even enough to be a starter) of last season considering he is getting older.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Nilsson played very good in the two games he faced the Devils in. He almost shut us out twice. The second time we got real lucky. I know he didn't look very good against the Penguins when Crosby returned, and he's only started against the Devils I believe? As far as NHL games go. It's hard to say how good he is when he hasn't started against two different teams yet. I think he will be better than Poulin, but who knows?

Re signing Nabby again was a good move. He played very well this year I think.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:31 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
All the cool zombies, you mean.
You watch the news. Never had the flesh munchies before? They should really put a warning on the label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
LOL funny scenario.. truth be told yes it would be worth all of it. All sins forgiven once you win the cup. In a New York minute everything can change
I'm glad I am not the only one with an imagination. You have to ask yourself why doesn't he just retire? Is he waiting for his moment of glory? What man wouldn't want that kind of legacy if the opportunity was there. Who knows, but if the fans would love him for it maybe that is his incentive to hang on to the dream. His cap hit could potentially be the only thing that would hold this team back if he doesn't mind waiting in the wings.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Well, if DP is not the backup I doubt we'd go into the season under the floor anyway, unless we'd want to forfeit draft picks and/or games

The NBA had a salary cap before and after the recent lockout yet they gave every team an amnesty clause.
I'll be the first to say I'm not that familiar with the NBA. But the NHL is really strict with their rules and regulations-and once they've made up their mind-it's done.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
As long as Snow/Caps learned their lesson and keeps him as the #3 and does not force feed him any starts I'll be happy. The only time he should even dress is when Nabby or Poulin/Nilsson are too banged up to and even then it should be back up only.

FWIW I really hope Koskinen comes back over and gets some serious AHL time this year. I hope they haven't given up on him yet.
I'm not sure Koskinen has ever recovered from that knee injury.

DP and Nabby should both be out the door. I say do a rotation with Poulin and Nilsson

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote