HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 12:02 PM
  #51
Satan
no one is lost
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange ☂
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 44,181
vCash: 69
I just updated my Playbook to the newest OS 2..

I haven't updated it really since I got it. Should I look forward to anything?

Satan is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  #52
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I wasn't actually kidding.
Same old in that people come in here make fun, put down, rip apart everything about RIM and BB. I don't go into the Apple thread and do that. Basically certain people are trolling this thread. I could laugh at how Apple, after saying a 7-inch tablet is useless and Jobs making fun of the companies that offered one, is now more then likely going to be releasing one before the end of the year.

And I personally like the look of the Porsche design phone. I find the iPhone is the same old thing every year and many other phones are the same thing from other makers. I like that RIM did something different and allowed an outside company design something different instead of the same black or white phones.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 12:55 PM
  #53
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Blackberry dead-last in US smartphone customer satisfaction survey.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/i...dex/#continued

iPhone in first place. A few Android manufacturers tied for second.
OK....and this means what exactly? I went to the link and it gives no details of how this is calculated, what is scored etc. I even went to the ACSI site and there seems to be no details just a score.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
  #54
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Same old in that people come in here make fun, put down, rip apart everything about RIM and BB. I don't go into the Apple thread and do that. Basically certain people are trolling this thread. I could laugh at how Apple, after saying a 7-inch tablet is useless and Jobs making fun of the companies that offered one, is now more then likely going to be releasing one before the end of the year.

And I personally like the look of the Porsche design phone. I find the iPhone is the same old thing every year and many other phones are the same thing from other makers. I like that RIM did something different and allowed an outside company design something different instead of the same black or white phones.
Actually, I was referring to my job application for RIM, not the phone. Ripping a design doesn't constitute trolling either, by the way - just because a few peoples' opinions on the look of a (admittedly ridiculously priced) phone don't correspond with yours doesn't make it trolling. The look of a regular BlackBerry is far more pleasing than the Porsche design, IMO.

And, we have an Apple thread?

Coldplay is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
  #55
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Actually, I was referring to my job application for RIM, not the phone. Ripping a design doesn't constitute trolling either, by the way - just because a few peoples' opinions on the look of a (admittedly ridiculously priced) phone don't correspond with yours doesn't make it trolling. The look of a regular BlackBerry is far more pleasing than the Porsche design, IMO.

And, we have an Apple thread?
I wasn't singling you out but hey if the show fits.

As for the Apple thread yes there is one http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=973569 you should know it says you've posted in it 27 times.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
  #56
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I wasn't singling you out but hey if the show fits.

As for the Apple thread yes there is one http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=973569 you should know it says you've posted in it 27 times.
Oh, that. Yeah I guess that counts as an Apple thread even if it's more of an iPhone thread.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
  #57
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
A lot of the ripping on RIM is justified. I am currently dealing with the dreaded white screen of death on my 9780. I am displeased with it. If I didn't love my Playbook so much, I would have given up on RIM and just gone with a Samsung Galaxy. As it stands, I am eager to give the BB10phones a strong look assuming their standards have improved.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 08:21 AM
  #58
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
A lot of the ripping on RIM is justified. I am currently dealing with the dreaded white screen of death on my 9780. I am displeased with it. If I didn't love my Playbook so much, I would have given up on RIM and just gone with a Samsung Galaxy. As it stands, I am eager to give the BB10phones a strong look assuming their standards have improved.
Yes and no. I agree they have stuff to make up for an this year is make or break. But then again they get "ripped" for stuff that is just plain stupid. Never heard of the white screen of death. Maybe I have been lucky but I've owned/had 5 BBs between my personal and work ones and never had any major issues, nothing that required the phone to be repaired or replaced for example.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 01:30 PM
  #59
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
I just updated my Playbook to the newest OS 2..

I haven't updated it really since I got it. Should I look forward to anything?
The Unified Email feature is pretty cool. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and all your regular Email accounts all in one box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I wasn't singling you out but hey if the show fits.

As for the Apple thread yes there is one http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=973569 you should know it says you've posted in it 27 times.
I wonder if he's posted more in the Apple Threads or the BlackBerry Threads?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
A lot of the ripping on RIM is justified. I am currently dealing with the dreaded white screen of death on my 9780. I am displeased with it. If I didn't love my Playbook so much, I would have given up on RIM and just gone with a Samsung Galaxy. As it stands, I am eager to give the BB10phones a strong look assuming their standards have improved.
White screen of death? Never heard of that but you can always back up your phone through the BlackBerry Desktop Software and then wipe your phone & re-install from the backup.

Don't wipe your memory card though.

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 03:01 PM
  #60
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
You can look up the White Screen of Death. It's out there. I personally will just get my Bold 9780 fixed because I still want a BB10 phone.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:22 AM
  #61
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
$77 in free BlackBerry 7 Apps

Offer expires May 31, 2012.

http://ca.blackberry.com/os7appworldoffer/

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
  #62
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Rogers and CIBC first to launch ‘mobile wallets’ in Canada:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ets-in-canada/

Quote:
The sole handset partner supporting the CIBC-Rogers NFC solution to date is BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. Apple Inc.’s iPhone currently has no plans to bring on NFC technology, a blow to consumer adoption perhaps but boon to rival smartphone makers.
Another article on this:

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...th-a-cellphone

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
  #63
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Goldenhands View Post
The evernote app is horrible compared to other platforms. The only acceptable notetaking app is Groovynote and it still lacks a lot in a lot of departments.

If anyone came out with an app that allows me to annotate powerpoint and pdf files, I'd really be able to use my PB for studying. Still praying.
There's an Update coming for the PlayBook version of Evernote:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic...e-coming-soon/

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-25-2012, 08:13 PM
  #64
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a blackberry, and I've almost made up my mind on the blackberry curve 3G. I was just wondering if anyone has it or has used it? I don't need a ton of features like camera, apps or whatever. I just want a cheap blackberry that's good for texting and has some decent battery life. I've read some reviews online and they've said it'd be good for what I'm looking for but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I was also looking at the 9360 but my dad owns it and it just feels so small and fragile in my hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael Gary Scott is offline  
Old
05-26-2012, 07:08 PM
  #65
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a blackberry, and I've almost made up my mind on the blackberry curve 3G. I was just wondering if anyone has it or has used it? I don't need a ton of features like camera, apps or whatever. I just want a cheap blackberry that's good for texting and has some decent battery life. I've read some reviews online and they've said it'd be good for what I'm looking for but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I was also looking at the 9360 but my dad owns it and it just feels so small and fragile in my hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you're getting a BlackBerry now make sure that it's a BlackBerry 7 Phone.

If you can wait a few months the BlackBerry 10 Phones will be out.

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
  #66
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
http://www.thespec.com/news/business...offs-this-week

RIM expected to announce major layoffs this week

Quote:
A RIM spokesperson wouldn’t comment on published reports, which suggested the cuts could range anywhere from 2,000 to 6,000.

Towers is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
  #67
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
RIM at risk of writedown as unsold inventory piles up

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-piles-up?bn=1

Quote:
Research In Motion Ltd.’s stockpiles of BlackBerry smartphones and PlayBook tablets have swollen by two-thirds in the past year because of slumping sales, raising the chances of the company’s third writedown since December.

The value of RIM’s in-house supplies grew 18 per cent last quarter alone, a faster rate than at any other company in the industry, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. And that doesn’t include the BlackBerrys gathering dust at RIM’s carriers and retail partners. Apple Inc., meanwhile, saw its inventory decline 11 per cent in the period from the previous three months.

Towers is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
  #68
Aaaaaron
Registered User
 
Aaaaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
RIM at risk of writedown as unsold inventory piles up

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-piles-up?bn=1
It probably doesn't help that the cell phone market shrunk for the first time since 2006 last quarter, or rather something along those lines. They just have to weather the storm and hope BB10 is a home run or big step forward.

Aaaaaron is offline  
Old
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
  #69
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
No one wants their current stock of phones, everyone is waiting for the BB10 phones.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
05-30-2012, 08:19 AM
  #70
bigred50
.
 
bigred50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Kiribati
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 50
So this is the end...

Sad to see Blackberry (and a once formidable Canadian company) go to ****. But they have no one to blame but themselves.

BB10 phones won't be released for another 5 or 6 months, waaaay too late as usual.

bigred50 is offline  
Old
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
  #71
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
No one wants their current stock of phones, everyone is waiting for the BB10 phones.
Unfortunately that is a big part of the problem. My phone works fine and I am not going to spend a ton on a new phone when I want to see the BB10 phones and likely get one of those if it meets my expectations.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 11:09 AM
  #72
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
Interesting BlackBerry Users

Member of the Apple board of directors is a BlackBerry user:

http://crackberry.com/even-those-app...erry-people-do

Google Chairman is a BlackBerry user:

http://crackberry.com/caught-black-h...lackberry-agai

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
  #73
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,719
vCash: 500
BlackBerry 10 to launch on 10/10?

Possible launch date for BlackBerry 10 phones:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...0th-bb10-10-10

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
  #74
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Member of the Apple board of directors is a BlackBerry user:

http://crackberry.com/even-those-app...erry-people-do

Google Chairman is a BlackBerry user:

http://crackberry.com/caught-black-h...lackberry-agai
RIM IS SAVED! Hallelujah!

Towers is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
  #75
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
RIM IS SAVED! Hallelujah!
While I agree it's kind of a stupid article, your sarcasm is well annoying.

beowulf is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.