HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Prospect Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
(emphasis added)

Hmmm.
Me and the Howsonites: (also a great name for a band)

Everyone else:

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 05-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Roadman
Moving On

A few notes from the Memorial Cup.

All teams are 1 -1, with the host team Shawinigan in first on Goal differential.

Micheal Chaput leads the Cup in scoring 2-3 5. One goal was EN. His team mate Brandon Gormley is just behind 2-2 4.

Mathieu Corbeil has a GAA of 3.52 and a save % of 0.863 actually good enough for second on both counts. In fairness none of the goalies are any kind of a brick wall. The leader, Girard of Shawinigan, has only played one game. Of those that have played two each has gotten shelled in one game.

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited by Roadman: 05-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 08:54 AM
pokerface1

Does anybody know what happened to TJ Tynan on the revamped Columbus prospect page? He has gone missing.......

Old
05-25-2012, 08:49 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Corbeil struggling tonight. Might be the nail in the coffin

Old
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
JacketsFanWest

Terrific game for Chaput. The announcers called him the best player i the tournament.

Not impressed with Corbeil. He's big, but he's slow going post to post.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Terrific game for Chaput. The announcers called him the best player i the tournament.

But...but...but.... we drafted him and our goaltending situation is soooo bad. We have to sign this guy. Look at his record.

Just messin' with you crazed fans who thought there was no way we couldn't sign this kid and that Howson was terrible for even giving it a second thought. They may yet sign him (doubt it but you never know) but if you actually watch him play he's got a lot of issues to solve.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Roadman
Moving On

How does that Chaput / Sestito trade look now?

Going into Sunday's Final he leads the tournament in scoring 5-6 11. It does include 2 EN but he has played very well overall. He should be a very welcome addition in SPR next year. Very nice find especially given our overall depth at Center.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Is he actually further ahead than an average draft prospect this year? There's a two-year age difference, but if Corbeil hasn't actually progressed, I'm wondering if it would simply make more sense to try to shop his rights for a late pick if he's not going to be signed and use it on a goalie.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
JacketsFanWest

Comparing Corbeil to draft eligible goalies like Dansk, Subban and even Collin Olson (the US U18 goalie who's headed to OSU), I'd say he's not 2 years ahead of them in development. He was going down early, not making good lateral moves. I'd say Dansk is closer to the NHL.

What I don't know is how easy it might be to fix some of those problems and if he's mentally got what it takes. But he doesn't seem like he's far ahead of players who are 2-3 years younger. This is only Corbeil's first year as a starter, so maybe he is behind in development. But he's been to several development camps for the Jackets and on one of the top teams in the QMJHL. I expected a lot more out of him, especially with the team in front of him which has 8+ future NHLers.

On the plus side, Corbeil is huge and his initial positioning seemed fine. Maybe it is difficult to move quickly and get up and down with his size.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Not Enrico Ciccone

Quote:
Comparing Corbeil to draft eligible goalies like Dansk, Subban and even Collin Olson (the US U18 goalie who's headed to OSU), I'd say he's not 2 years ahead of them in development. He was going down early, not making good lateral moves. I'd say Dansk is closer to the NHL.

What I don't know is how easy it might be to fix some of those problems and if he's mentally got what it takes. But he doesn't seem like he's far ahead of players who are 2-3 years younger. This is only Corbeil's first year as a starter, so maybe he is behind in development. But he's been to several development camps for the Jackets and on one of the top teams in the QMJHL. I expected a lot more out of him, especially with the team in front of him which has 8+ future NHLers.

On the plus side, Corbeil is huge and his initial positioning seemed fine. Maybe it is difficult to move quickly and get up and down with his size.
What I dont understand...

Puck Rakers says that scouts are saying he will be a mid or later round pick if back in the draft..5th, 6th, 7th...

it seems that a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick has some, even if small, value...

we are being given the option of getting a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick for the cost of an contract that any 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick gets.

i get he isnt a savior, i get it is a long shot, but seriously, is the cost that extreme that you forgo the potential benefit?

are we really that flush in prospects?

Old
05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
JacketsFanWest

I agree that even if the Jackets could trade his rights for a 7th round pick, they should try to at least get something.

It's possible that another team won't bother with trading for Corbeil's rights since they can select him in the draft. It isn't guaranteed that if Corbeil is traded that he will sign with that team. He could pass and see if he could do better at the draft.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:58 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Chaput struggling vs London.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Chaput struggling vs London.
Fortunately, he just got an assist on the championship winning goal.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
It seems like just yesterday that people were wondering why guys who supposedly can't scout would push a guy who supposedly can't trade to unload someone who supposedly was too tough to move for someone who supposedly would never do anything.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Does he still have a year of junior eligibility or is he turning pro now? I saw he just turned 20 in April so he would in theory be 20 for most of next season. I'm not sure what the cutoff is for the junior leagues.

I have to think that Chaput at least gets some call up time next season with his performance this season if his junior eligibility is up. 2nd on the team in scoring for the regular season and leading scorer and MVP of the Memorial Cup tournament should lead to a solid 1st professional season, even if he spends most of it in Springfield.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Does he still have a year of junior eligibility or is he turning pro now? I saw he just turned 20 in April so he would in theory be 20 for most of next season. I'm not sure what the cutoff is for the junior leagues.

I have to think that Chaput at least gets some call up time next season with his performance this season if his junior eligibility is up. 2nd on the team in scoring for the regular season and leading scorer and MVP of the Memorial Cup tournament should lead to a solid 1st professional season, even if he spends most of it in Springfield.
Springfield should be strong down the middle next season.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
JacketsFanWest

Chaput is a '92 birthdate, so I think he could return for an overage season but he is eligible to play in the AHL.

The Jackets need to draft Anton Zlobin. Russian factor or not, he's such a clutch, skilled player and has chemistry with Chaput.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Chaput is a '92 birthdate, so I think he could return for an overage season but he is eligible to play in the AHL.

The Jackets need to draft Anton Zlobin. Russian factor or not, he's such a clutch, skilled player and has chemistry with Chaput.
When do you think he would go in the draft?

Old
05-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

And a nod to Gabriel Girard...4 games in 5 nights between the pipes. For most of tonight's game, London was turning the Cats' defense inside out, and he came up with several huge saves. This game could've been 8-1 London, and Girard looked terrific despite undoubtedly some serious fatigue.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It seems like just yesterday that people were wondering why guys who supposedly can't scout would push a guy who supposedly can't trade to unload someone who supposedly was too tough to move for someone who supposedly would never do anything.
Funny how that works, eh?

Hope he keeps up the good work.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Funny how that works, eh?

Hope he keeps up the good work.
If Michael Chaput looked to his left and right, he might see this.

If Tom Sestito looked to his left and right, he might see this.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
But...but...but.... we drafted him and our goaltending situation is soooo bad. We have to sign this guy. Look at his record.

Just messin' with you crazed fans who thought there was no way we couldn't sign this kid and that Howson was terrible for even giving it a second thought. They may yet sign him (doubt it but you never know) but if you actually watch him play he's got a lot of issues to solve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If Michael Chaput looked to his left and right, he might see this.

If Tom Sestito looked to his left and right, he might see this.

Chaput was the most consistent, solid player throughout the tournament. I was really very impressed with the kid. Good size, excellent work ethic in all three zones, and skill to boot. He'll need to work on his skating and a fill in a bit, but honestly I could see this guy competing for a job in 2013-14, possibly a good future third line player for us. Imagine this guy on a line with Boone Jenner and Derek Dorsett ...that's a legit third line.

For Corbeil, I echo a lot of the sentiments given. I was skeptical on him from the beginning of the conversation on signing him, and that skepticism only grew. For me, he looks like a career AHL guy ... he could take the Devan Dubnyk route and be a late bloomer, but really he's a long way off. If we sign him, it'll simply be for organizational depth at this point.

Congrats to the Cataractes on their Cup win. Michael Chaput was definitely a great addition by our staff.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:06 AM
EspenK

Congrats to Chaput & the brain trust that traded for him (as well as Nikitin & Letestu).

Now let's see what they bring in the draft & trades during the off season.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
zorz

do you guys think CBJ are going to sign Petr Straka?

Old
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
do you guys think CBJ are going to sign Petr Straka?
No.

See http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-set-free.html

Closed Thread