HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NYR "Untouchables" Poll / Discussion

Old
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Agree
Yep, agreed also. The point is to add someone to put with Gaborik, not replace him. See Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin. Gabs can't be our only scoring threat.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Thinking there are 3 untouchable forwards (Richards, Callahan, Kreider) and 4 defensemen (Stall, MDZ, McDonagh, Girardi) not going anywhere. And Hank.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Becuase 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees is why Gaborik won't be moved?
Guys with Alex Semin's release and overall skill set don't grow on trees either. Do you want him on your team? Let alone being the primary goal scorer this team relies on in the playoffs? I don't care if Gaborik scores 93 goals during the regular season. He's the antithesis of this team's identity and Torts knows it. He won't be back.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Reijo R

Nice to see some real hockey fans here and not all Rangers homers. Some points:

- how the **** is Stepan untouchable after the postseason he just had?
- same goes for Hagelin! Sure he's fast, but is he good? To early to tell
- Nash > ANY Rangers forward; guy's played with bums his entire career
- They'd never deal Cally, but he's not good enough to take off the table
- Hank, Staal, McDonagh are the only guys I'd really take off table

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post

Good to see your not a Ranger homer , yea lets just trade all of our homegrown talent so people can keep calling our teams mercenaries

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Lundsanity30

Derek Stepan is 22 years old and Carl Hagelin is 23 years old, and both of them put up close to 50 pts already. Stepan did reach 50.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Untouchable
Lundqvist, Callahan

Are we getting Malkin?
Staal, Girardi, McD, Kreider

Better be making a big upgrade Slats
Stepan, Hagelin, MDZ

Great post.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Derek Stepan is 22 years old and Carl Hagelin is 23 years old, and both of them put up close to 50 pts already. Stepan did reach 50.
So, you only care about the regular season? Sure, they'll score 50 points because teams don't dig in defensively like they do in the playoffs. We just saw that with our own eyes! Now, you can say "Dude, they're kids, give them a chance!" and you may be right. But I could counter with "Hagelin is a smurf who can't take a hit and hold onto the puck" and "Stepan is just too slow and small to find space and play in it".

My point is, if some team offers us a player we need in return for either of these guys, it has to be done. Neither should be considered untouchable by any means, though I'm certainly not looking to give either away.

I also think Stepan should be dealt this offseason in a package for Nash. Maybe Dubi, Stepan and a 1st for Nash.

One other guy I think the Rangers should NOT deal unless they're getting back something special: Dylan McIlrath. They really need a nasty defenseman like him in a bad way, and he might negate dressing a useless goon (Brashear, Boogaard, and sadly, Rupp).

Old
05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Good post; agree with your list. The only forward I can see as true untouchable right now Kreider. Obviously, I wouldn't want to move players on ELC's without getting something of substanial value in return.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
So, you only care about the regular season? Sure, they'll score 50 points because teams don't dig in defensively like they do in the playoffs. We just saw that with our own eyes! Now, you can say "Dude, they're kids, give them a chance!" and you may be right. But I could counter with "Hagelin is a smurf who can't take a hit and hold onto the puck" and "Stepan is just too slow and small to find space and play in it".

My point is, if some team offers us a player we need in return for either of these guys, it has to be done. Neither should be considered untouchable by any means, though I'm certainly not looking to give either away.

I also think Stepan should be dealt this offseason in a package for Nash. Maybe Dubi, Stepan and a 1st for Nash.

One other guy I think the Rangers should NOT deal unless they're getting back something special: Dylan McIlrath. They really need a nasty defenseman like him in a bad way, and he might negate dressing a useless goon (Brashear, Boogaard, and sadly, Rupp).
Excellent post! No sense in me adding my two cents worth since you already articulated my thoughts really well.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

forwards
Richards (impossible to trade and hes good)
Kreider (The future)
Callahan (our captain and symbol of this team with his play)
Hagelin (The energy and hustle)
Stepan (Incredibly young center)

defense
McD (Nuff said)
Staal (anchor)
Girardi (Game is evolving now with his shot)

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
EEDAWGZ

Geez , I thought this organization was going in a different direction and building from within, Sorry
Junior Gm s but I agree with Sather , let's make this team better without giving up on our young talent

Old
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Geez , I thought this organization was going in a different direction and building from within, Sorry
Junior Gm s but I agree with Sather , let's make this team better without giving up on our young talent
It's easy to say that, but Sather has to consider that his three best players are all now 30-31 years of age. If the plan is for the organization to be at its' apex when Kreider, Stepan, MDZ, Erixon, Miller (etc.) are all at their career apexes, that won't work. Hank, Gabby and Richards will be on their way out by then.

That's why I think a Nash deal is key, as long as we don't give up Kreider or McIlrath.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Lundqvist is the only untouchable on this team.

And I only say that because goaltenders traditionally bring back ****** trade returns.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
It's easy to say that, but Sather has to consider that his three best players are all now 30-31 years of age. If the plan is for the organization to be at its' apex when Kreider, Stepan, MDZ, Erixon, Miller (etc.) are all at their career apexes, that won't work. Hank, Gabby and Richards will be on their way out by then.

That's why I think a Nash deal is key, as long as we don't give up Kreider or McIlrath.
I hear ya , wouldn't mind Nash at the right price , but I also wanna keep Hags an Step

Old
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Well one of our best players is a goalie, so for him 30-31 is not old.

And who are the other 'best players'? If you're talking playoffs, an argument can be made that McDonagh was our best player, and perhaps even Kreider. Neither is 30-31.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

For the record, I have no problem inclduing Stepan in a deal for Nash. Stepan is not untouchable to me, but it would have to be a big player in return, which Nash is.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

I would absolutely deal Mcilrath in a deal for a Nash or Bobby Ryan and wouldn't even think twice. The Rangers defense is the best in the league already IMO

Old
05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Well one of our best players is a goalie, so for him 30-31 is not old.

And who are the other 'best players'? If you're talking playoffs, an argument can be made that McDonagh was our best player, and perhaps even Kreider. Neither is 30-31.
Richards will be very good for a long time yet.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:01 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Stepan? Untouchable? You people are ****ing nuts. He is absolutely not untouchable. Kreider yes, Stepan, no.
I'm a Stepan fan but he may be the most overrated player by the fans and media I have ever seen in a Rangers uniform. My head spins when people mention him in the same breath as Bryan Trottier. I tell people we will be lucky if he is ever as good as Mike Ridley. Stepan probably should be used in a package to get a star player like Nash.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
hahahahaha yeah noooooooo
It's funny because you probably didn't even laugh as you were typing this.... "haha's" make you look soooo coooool.

Next time use an actual argument to support your opinion...

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Richards will be very good for a long time yet.
We can only hope

Old
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I'm a Stepan fan but he may be the most overrated player by the fans and media I have ever seen in a Rangers uniform. My head spins when people mention him in the same breath as Bryan Trottier. I tell people we will be lucky if he is ever as good as Mike Ridley. Stepan probably should be used in a package to get a star player like Nash.
I see Stepan's ceiling more like Chris Drury. I would NOT trade him for Nash. The difference between Stepan and Nash is not enough to justify the gigantic increase in the cap hit.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I see Stepan's ceiling more like Chris Drury. I would NOT trade him for Nash. The difference between Stepan and Nash is not enough to justify the gigantic increase in the cap hit.
That is a much more valid comparison than the Trottier nonsense some have used. It is not Stepan's fault that he is over rated. Its the media/fans doing. I do understand your statistical comment and it might turn out to be true. My hesitation is when I see Nash on teams of all star players (Olympics, WC) he usually is one of the most dominant guys on the ice. I don't know why that doesn't show up more in his statistics.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

UNTOUCHABLE FORWARDS:

Brad Richards
Chris Kreider
Derek Stepan

Reasoning: Richards and Kreider obviously the top of this list. Irreplaceable to a point. Stepan has a ton of potential still. He came in year 2 and performed beyond expectations. He's handicapped by his shot and skating, but he'll be affordable and hold a spot at second line center for years to come. JT Miller and JAM are untouchable for the time being as well.

UNTOUCHABLE DEFENSEMEN:

Ryan McDonagh
Dan Girardi
Marc Staal

Reasoning: MDZ is replaceable and at his highest value since rookie year-- probably peaked right now in terms of value. Erixon's replaceable. Girardi is a rare right-handed guy. No real defense prospects that are untouchable at all. I wouldn't entirelyyy put Staal off the market. His return's probably pretty great, the injury history is scary, and he's put to waste on the second pairing.

All guys can be moved for enough return tbh; however, of the ones I listed I can't see any return being enough for Kreider or McDonagh

lundqvist too of course but that goes without saying

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote