HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
hockeymass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I noticed it's also guys who are easy targets:beginners, guys who can't skate, etc.. If somebody looks like they'll punch you in the face if you chirp at them I guarantee they wear what they want and nobody says a peep to them. And to be fair if you're new to the sport how do you know all these unwritten rules about hockey style?
It doesn't matter, as long as you're not a jackass. As I and numerous others have said, chirping someone who's just having a good time is bad form. Chirping dickheads is how it goes.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
I noticed it's also guys who are easy targets:beginners, guys who can't skate, etc.. If somebody looks like they'll punch you in the face if you chirp at them I guarantee they wear what they want and nobody says a peep to them. And to be fair if you're new to the sport how do you know all these unwritten rules about hockey style?
Yeah I've started wonder, is it really the gear that gets you chirped or the combo of skill and gear. If you're really good, I doubt you get chirped regardless of what you're wearing (for the most part). If you can't skate and aren't wearing anything flashy, most likely no one will say anything. If you can't skate and you're decked out head to toe, you become an easy target who stands out.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Matching socks and jerseys look good. Purposefully mismatched socks looks terrible.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Matching socks and jerseys look good. Purposefully mismatched socks looks terrible.
We have one of those in our league; silliest thing I've ever seen.
Reminds me of some 90's hip-hop fashion trend left over.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
clayman

Quote:
Very true about the "unwritten rules"... I'm not new to the sport as I had played years ago but since I got back into it alot has changed.. I have all basic black equipment except for unadorned jerseys/socks combos of different teams, no full kits of anyone. I can't believe that is considered uncool now! Oh well, I like my stuff! lol!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM
clayman

Quote:
Exactly!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
We have one of those in our league; silliest thing I've ever seen.
Reminds me of some 90's hip-hop fashion trend left over.
LMAO! Great analogy!

Old
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Exactly!
I don't think anyone said it's bad to match. Just that wearing a full pro kit as a rec league player looks silly.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's not crested, no big deal.

I don't know if it's terminology, but rec league players should all be wearing matching uniforms and socks anyways.

Pickup I just wear blank black/white jerseys. I don't want to wear my nice jerseys and socks. Also don't want them to know my name

If it's a regular pickup game though, a joke jersey might not be bad. A couple friends and I got "matching" jerseys with ridiculous last names (Scelecznkhov, Raajaakonnen, Loussoire). Or a Hawks "Griswold" jersey, something like that.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I don't think anyone said it's bad to match. Just that wearing a full pro kit as a rec league player looks silly.
Right on! My bad, I misunderstood.. While I'm happy wearing my regular gear no one wants to be perceived a tool regardless

Old
05-31-2012, 11:15 AM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Quote:
^ This. Mismatched socks look cute when my daughter's Pee Wee team does it for practice (not games). On adults, not so much ... though we seem to see a few at every pickup.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Speaking of pickup games, a couple of weeks ago I show up and my entire side except for me and couple of other guys had full matching kit. Turns out they were all on the same league team last year, and they were using this particular pickup as a "reunion". That's all fine, but made the rest of us look like chumps that didn't get the note about "Green Jersey Day"

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Yeah I've started wonder, is it really the gear that gets you chirped or the combo of skill and gear. If you're really good, I doubt you get chirped regardless of what you're wearing (for the most part). If you can't skate and aren't wearing anything flashy, most likely no one will say anything. If you can't skate and you're decked out head to toe, you become an easy target who stands out.
I think it is much more about who is doing the chirping and less about anything that you (or the chiper's intended victim) do. Arbitrary rules on style or gear are only problems in their heads - and aren't problems at all for the people trying to have a good time by playing hockey.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
clayman

Quote:
If it's not crested, no big deal.

I don't know if it's terminology, but rec league players should all be wearing matching uniforms and socks anyways.

Pickup I just wear blank black/white jerseys. I don't want to wear my nice jerseys and socks. Also don't want them to know my name

If it's a regular pickup game though, a joke jersey might not be bad. A couple friends and I got "matching" jerseys with ridiculous last names (Scelecznkhov, Raajaakonnen, Loussoire). Or a Hawks "Griswold" jersey, something like that.
I agree.. If you spent the money to be part of the team spend the extra few bucks to look the part. It looks ridiculous to have everyone wearing different stuff.

And the names are hilarious!

Old
05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
About the cages: most people don't give a damn. It's usually the people who wear cages that think anything else is reckless and stupid. I personally don't care what a person chooses to wear to protect their face. I wear a visor because I like the visibility and freedom it offers.
As a sidenote, I've never had a vision issue with a cage. If you don't have it loose and flopping around, and the bar spacing is even, it's really easy to look past. I've never tried a visor on the ice, but playing around with them in the shop, I've been taken aback by the distortion, and the change from looking through the visor or not at the bottom. I would think that that would be far more distracting.

Last edited by Jarick: 05-31-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: not going down that path again.
CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From here on out, I'm going to start deleting posts with the visor vs cage people's barbs at each other.

Visor people: us cage wearers don't think you're reckless and stupid. We don't want the injury.

Cage people: the visor people don't think you are wusses. They just like the freedom.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
qmechanic

Personally, I don't really understand the point of all this discussion. It just makes newbies paranoid about wearing the wrong stuff. Hockey is not about judging people for what they wear. I never chirp anyone unless it's a good friend.

I understand that it's fun to chirp now and then, but I'm a bit baffled by the popularity of this thread.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
Personally, I don't really understand the point of all this discussion. It just makes newbies paranoid about wearing the wrong stuff. Hockey is not about judging people for what they wear. I never chirp anyone unless it's a good friend.

I understand that it's fun to chirp now and then, but I'm a bit baffled by the popularity of this thread.
It's just shooting the **** about gear that looks ridiculous. I still don't get why people are all bent out of shape about it. Lighten up.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
It's just shooting the **** about gear that looks ridiculous. I still don't get why people are all bent out of shape about it. Lighten up.
For sure. The items I've listed are just the things that make me go "hmmmm"

I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they chose to wear that gear.

As far as the matching jersey/socks, I mentioned a guy I play with who wears a Gretzky LA Kings jersey and the matching socks. Which is all well and good (heck, I wear matching jersey/socks all the time), but I was always told and thought of it as a no-no to be wearing the Great One's jersey or number. I guess it's just seen as a cocky thing to do. But I doubt anyone has ever said anything to this guy. There's really no reason to, unless you're his buddy and are ribbing him for a laugh.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

The hockey fashionistas have come out of the woodwork dahlin'

Quote:
It doesn't matter, as long as you're not a jackass. As I and numerous others have said, chirping someone who's just having a good time is bad form. Chirping dickheads is how it goes.
Agreed.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
There are quite a lot who chirps me for wearing skate fenders.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
There are quite a lot who chirps me for wearing skate fenders.
You have to really be checking someone out to see that they are wearing fenders. I might be worried about something else.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Wooty

What are skate fenders?

Oh I googled it, what would be wrong with that?

Old
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Wooty

Quote:

There are a thousand different ways to make fun of people who enjoy playing the sport with you. You know, potential friends.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
When I played (90s) my list of stuff that would make me actively target a player was as follows:

T Blades
Composite sticks until they were normal (Prepare to have your stick broken)
If you were purposely trying to break my stick, which I might add isn't cheap, I would most definitely attempt to break some of your bones. That's just being a complete d-bag and there is no place for that kind of behavior.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote