HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuilding Progress?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
  #51
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm not talking about spending money. I'm talking about making good decisions.

Dan Snyder spends all the money in the world. How have the Redskins done with him as owner?

You're telling me wang gets his arena/development with lots more revenue streams so he can now spend freely and you trust him to make the decisions to lead us to a Stanley Cup?
  • The same Wang who REFUSED to fire Mike Milbury?
  • The same Wang who looked into getting sumo wrestlers for goalies?
  • The same Wang who hired Neil Smith for 40 days...And replaced him with a backup goalie with zero front office experience?
  • The same guy who forced Milbury's hand to trade Chara and the #2 pick (Spezza) for Alexei Yashin...And then gave him a 10 year deal?
  • The same Wang who didn't learn from that mistake and then gave DiPietro a 15 year deal?
  • The same Wang who ushered out Billy Jaffe for a guy who cannot pronounce the names of his own players?
  • The same Wang who refuses to talk to Queens despite Nassau essentially spitting in his face?

Money has little to do with the big picture here, which is that Wang has PROVEN himself to be inept as an NHL owner and more money from a new arena won't all of a sudden make him a competant one. Money (lack of new arena) is just a shield Wang, along with so many Isles' fans, can hide behind now so we all don't have to face the sad sad sad fact that...


...With Wang as owner we have no hope of being a true Stanley Cup contender.
I'm afraid I agree with you. Wang seems to be an amalgamation of George Steinbrenner and Mike Brown (Bengals) worst qualities.

They may get a fluke playoff appearance here and there but true progress is never within reach under Wang.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  #52
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm not talking about spending money. I'm talking about making good decisions.

Dan Snyder spends all the money in the world. How have the Redskins done with him as owner?

You're telling me wang gets his arena/development with lots more revenue streams so he can now spend freely and you trust him to make the decisions to lead us to a Stanley Cup?
  • The same Wang who REFUSED to fire Mike Milbury?
  • The same Wang who looked into getting sumo wrestlers for goalies?
  • The same Wang who hired Neil Smith for 40 days...And replaced him with a backup goalie with zero front office experience?
  • The same guy who forced Milbury's hand to trade Chara and the #2 pick (Spezza) for Alexei Yashin...And then gave him a 10 year deal?
  • The same Wang who didn't learn from that mistake and then gave DiPietro a 15 year deal?
  • The same Wang who ushered out Billy Jaffe for a guy who cannot pronounce the names of his own players?
  • The same Wang who refuses to talk to Queens despite Nassau essentially spitting in his face?

Money has little to do with the big picture here, which is that Wang has PROVEN himself to be inept as an NHL owner and more money from a new arena won't all of a sudden make him a competant one. Money (lack of new arena) is just a shield Wang, along with so many Isles' fans, can hide behind now so we all don't have to face the sad sad sad fact that...


...With Wang as owner we have no hope of being a true Stanley Cup contender.
I agree with everything except the Yashin trade. Yashin was a scapegoat here. Let's be honest: nobody though Chara would ever be a really good 2nd pairing defensemen-let alone where he is now. Yashin was a runner-up for the Hart. And was our best player year in, year out on offense. Yes the contract was stupid-but honestly that trade wasn't so bad at the time (hindsight is always 20/20).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:03 PM
  #53
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Your post speaks volumes on exactly what kind of owner Wang is and what his aspirations are. It is clear that Wang is not committed to winning and may only be marginally committed to being competitive if it helps his real estate plan. A stand alone building with no other development rights is not what Wang wants. If he gets the taxpayer to build him an arena and as a result he loses his development rights he will look to sell the team IMHO.

The idea that the current Islander brain trust has meetings that concern improving on the ice is, frankly, quite laughable.

The Isles were always about real estate to Wang. I think he thought this process was going to be a lot easier then it was or has been. Getting the hub for him would be HUGE and the Isles are just a small piece of that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm not talking about spending money. I'm talking about making good decisions.

Dan Snyder spends all the money in the world. How have the Redskins done with him as owner?

You're telling me wang gets his arena/development with lots more revenue streams so he can now spend freely and you trust him to make the decisions to lead us to a Stanley Cup?
  • The same Wang who REFUSED to fire Mike Milbury?
  • The same Wang who looked into getting sumo wrestlers for goalies?
  • The same Wang who hired Neil Smith for 40 days...And replaced him with a backup goalie with zero front office experience?
  • The same guy who forced Milbury's hand to trade Chara and the #2 pick (Spezza) for Alexei Yashin...And then gave him a 10 year deal?
  • The same Wang who didn't learn from that mistake and then gave DiPietro a 15 year deal?
  • The same Wang who ushered out Billy Jaffe for a guy who cannot pronounce the names of his own players?
  • The same Wang who refuses to talk to Queens despite Nassau essentially spitting in his face?

Money has little to do with the big picture here, which is that Wang has PROVEN himself to be inept as an NHL owner and more money from a new arena won't all of a sudden make him a competant one. Money (lack of new arena) is just a shield Wang, along with so many Isles' fans, can hide behind now so we all don't have to face the sad sad sad fact that...


...With Wang as owner we have no hope of being a true Stanley Cup contender.

I can agree with some of the stuff you have here. But if we were able to spend mid-way between the floor and ceiling, I think you would definitely see something different then what we see now. Money has a lot to do with the current situation. You cannot discount that.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
  #54
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I can agree with some of the stuff you have here. But if we were able to spend mid-way between the floor and ceiling, I think you would definitely see something different then what we see now. Money has a lot to do with the current situation. You cannot discount that.
But to say Wang has no money to spend because of the building situation is speculation, not fact. For all we know, Wang grew complacent and just doesn't feel it's important to invest his money into the team.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:56 PM
  #55
A Pointed Stick
Sell? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm not talking about spending money. I'm talking about making good decisions.

Dan Snyder spends all the money in the world. How have the Redskins done with him as owner?

You're telling me wang gets his arena/development with lots more revenue streams so he can now spend freely and you trust him to make the decisions to lead us to a Stanley Cup?
  • The same Wang who REFUSED to fire Mike Milbury?
  • The same Wang who looked into getting sumo wrestlers for goalies?
  • The same Wang who hired Neil Smith for 40 days...And replaced him with a backup goalie with zero front office experience?
  • The same guy who forced Milbury's hand to trade Chara and the #2 pick (Spezza) for Alexei Yashin...And then gave him a 10 year deal?
  • The same Wang who didn't learn from that mistake and then gave DiPietro a 15 year deal?
  • The same Wang who ushered out Billy Jaffe for a guy who cannot pronounce the names of his own players?
  • The same Wang who refuses to talk to Queens despite Nassau essentially spitting in his face?

Money has little to do with the big picture here, which is that Wang has PROVEN himself to be inept as an NHL owner and more money from a new arena won't all of a sudden make him a competent one. Money (lack of new arena) is just a shield Wang, along with so many Isles' fans, can hide behind now so we all don't have to face the sad sad sad fact that...


...With Wang as owner we have no hope of being a true Stanley Cup contender.
Pretty much. The Yashin & Ricky contracts alone make him the worst owner since Ballard. His contempt for the fan base draws him even closer to Ballard. His complete disdain for the majority of players and coddling of select butt kissing players makes me pause to wonder if Harold had an American ego-maniacal computer nerd for a cousin.

Meanwhile he is "rebuilding." This isn't a rebuild, it is a cheap-out painted to look like a rebuild.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:57 PM
  #56
turbobrain
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Meanwhile he is "rebuilding." This isn't a rebuild, it is a cheap-out painted to look like a rebuild.
The more you look at it, you might possibly be right...you got to get an owner that at least loves the game of hockey...not sure I know enough about Wang, but he came from the computer software/technology type stuff...oh well, it's going to be up to the players themselves to say f-it, I want to win and play hard. My biggest concern is the goal-tending long run...IF you continue to finish bottom 5 long enough, you are surely going to get some talent to make a run at some point. I'd be willing to bet that if the Isles were able to make a run at it this upcoming season without hype, you could be making money at the Coli again, maybe enough to spark the Isles again.

turbobrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
  #57
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I agree with everything except the Yashin trade. Yashin was a scapegoat here. Let's be honest: nobody though Chara would ever be a really good 2nd pairing defensemen-let alone where he is now. Yashin was a runner-up for the Hart. And was our best player year in, year out on offense. Yes the contract was stupid-but honestly that trade wasn't so bad at the time (hindsight is always 20/20).

If this is what you picked out of my entire post, then you missed the point.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
  #58
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
If this is what you picked out of my entire post, then you missed the point.
I clearly said I agreed with everything else, so why would I address those points more?

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
  #59
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,309
vCash: 500
The earth's tectonic plate's are moving faster the the Islanders rebuild.


Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
  #60
LongIslandCircus
Registered User
 
LongIslandCircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
There's an idea!

I think the majority of us include that. Older fans regard the trade thingy as equal to or greater than UFA signings in the rebuild idea. Thomas, Hogue, Turgeon, Ferraro and Krupp were trades. That was a rebuild and then some. (though a lot was a shift in chemistry/dynamics with the Patty discourse which the team bounced back from - and then faceplanted with)

We have kids. We have value. We have discourse (PAP). A GOOD GM would look at this like an opportunity to further the course and reach greater heights. Correct?

So the New NHL in our eyes as the Isles fanbase means we can only use UFA signings? We've sold our fate as helpless with Garth in the trade field? (aside from Montoya and relegated AHL gambles as well as the money savers like Hunter/Rolston)

Let's just say LA HAS A GM. He's ready to trade, sign or draft a winner. We're hesitant to upset our mediocrity.
Exactly.

Unfortunately there are no measurable goals or targets set by management. In my eyes, it's cowardly. No goals, no targets = no accountability.

We've seen that Garth likes to keep his cards close and avoids divulging information to the public. Why do you think that is? In my eyes it's simple: to avoid any measurable implications. I'm sick of hearing "we will explore our options and make the best possible moves, without deviating from our plan". It is a gutless tactic to avoid any benchamrks he can be evaluated against. Show some passion, show some damn leadership! Hold yourself and the players accountable for failure, don't justify losing seasons with powder puff optimism.

Garth has his restrictions no doubt, but any successful GM would work around limited resources and still push for progress. It would be clearly mandated and facilitated to the players that losing is not acceptable.

A perfect example is with a player I'm still quite high on, Josh Bailey. Dissapointing season statistically and a player this team NEEDS to carry offensive duties. What message is being sent to him by stating his "emergence" in the last 10 games was a big positive for the organization? It only reinforces a country club mentality. Light a fire under this kids *** and motivate him to be part of the TEAMS solution.

Again, I apologize for being so blunt and for the long winded post. But when you sit back and take a realistic view of whats going on..........

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
  #61
A Pointed Stick
Sell? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
Exactly.

Unfortunately there are no measurable goals or targets set by management. In my eyes, it's cowardly. No goals, no targets = no accountability.

We've seen that Garth likes to keep his cards close and avoids divulging information to the public. Why do you think that is? In my eyes it's simple: to avoid any measurable implications. I'm sick of hearing "we will explore our options and make the best possible moves, without deviating from our plan". It is a gutless tactic to avoid any benchamrks he can be evaluated against. Show some passion, show some damn leadership! Hold yourself and the players accountable for failure, don't justify losing seasons with powder puff optimism.

Garth has his restrictions no doubt, but any successful GM would work around limited resources and still push for progress. It would be clearly mandated and facilitated to the players that losing is not acceptable.

A perfect example is with a player I'm still quite high on, Josh Bailey. Dissapointing season statistically and a player this team NEEDS to carry offensive duties. What message is being sent to him by stating his "emergence" in the last 10 games was a big positive for the organization? It only reinforces a country club mentality. Light a fire under this kids *** and motivate him to be part of the TEAMS solution.

Again, I apologize for being so blunt and for the long winded post. But when you sit back and take a realistic view of whats going on..........
I would suggest you have it half right. When you say there are no set goals I disagree. The goals just aren't what you would expect but no doubt the CA executive has goals in place and Garf not being fired yet means he is hitting them. Where I agree is that they are keeping the goals quiet. Guess what the goals are?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
  #62
Doshell Propivo
Registered User
 
Doshell Propivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yeah, and we definitely have the same drawing power as a team from Hollywood. Why haven't we done that, silly us!
Woe is me. Woe is me.

The excuses coming from this team and it's fanbase are sickening.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
  #63
LongIslandCircus
Registered User
 
LongIslandCircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I would suggest you have it half right. When you say there are no set goals I disagree. The goals just aren't what you would expect but no doubt the CA executive has goals in place and Garf not being fired yet means he is hitting them. Where I agree is that they are keeping the goals quiet. Guess what the goals are?
I absolutely agree with you there, I was more refering to on-ice benchmarks. Every successful organization has them and it holds underacheivers accountable. My whole problem with Garth is exactly what you brought up. I want a GM that takes pride in results of his team, not someone bending over backwards to meet demands of a crooked owner. That innate drive to improve doesnt seem to exist and it's directly poluting the environment our young players are exposed to.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:06 PM
  #64
A Pointed Stick
Sell? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
I absolutely agree with you there, I was more refering to on-ice benchmarks. Every successful organization has them and it holds underacheivers accountable. My whole problem with Garth is exactly what you brought up. I want a GM that takes pride in results of his team, not someone bending over backwards to meet demands of a crooked owner. That innate drive to improve doesnt seem to exist and it's directly poluting the environment our young players are exposed to.
Yeah sure, on a normal team. You expect that the target of expectations starting with the most important are in striving for the playoffs, or the cup, depending on how good the team really is when the season starts. Around that main target are lesser goals all associated with the prime goal. Those lesser goals come with accountability on the coach, GM, players, etc. In this case, there is zero accountability for the coach and GM, and the players are all but a throw in. So where is the target really?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:18 AM
  #65
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
Every successful organization has them and it holds underacheivers accountable. My whole problem with Garth is exactly what you brought up. I want a GM that takes pride in results of his team, not someone bending over backwards to meet demands of a crooked owner. That innate drive to improve doesnt seem to exist and it's directly poluting the environment our young players are exposed to.
I do think Snow takes pride in the achievements of the guys who are there.

The problem for us is that the plan is to draft and then do the bare minimum and hope that it is somewhat successful while waiting for things to get settled on the arena front.

There are clear-cut problem areas in this line-up that, if dealt with properly, would be the difference between finishing 25th and finishing maybe 15th.

They won't be dealt with in obvious manner.

I do think though that your last sentence above is what is really worrying. When you're young, you can take a lot. But even young guys eventually start to make out a difference between "trusting and investing in the future" and "hanging us to dry".

If we had two more Tavares and two more Hamonics, that worry may not be so prevalent, but we don't.

My question is: What are the youngins going to think when Parenteau signs elswhere and no-one of a similar ilk is brought in to replace him? What will they think if the defensive ranks are filled in with more of the Eatons and Staios' of the world?

This team was close and now NEEDS upgrading. That upgrading is not coming from within, even if a few kids are ready for the show. Snow can't leave the youngins hanging by watching this team worsen on paper for a second summer running.

But unfortunately, it's legit to feel that will happen. It's legit to think Snow's answer is going to be Ullstrom, Rakhshani, de Haan, Donovan and more of Niederreiter, with maybe Strome being thrown in for a laugh.

That would be the WRONG route to go.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  #66
LongIslandCircus
Registered User
 
LongIslandCircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I do think Snow takes pride in the achievements of the guys who are there.

The problem for us is that the plan is to draft and then do the bare minimum and hope that it is somewhat successful while waiting for things to get settled on the arena front.

There are clear-cut problem areas in this line-up that, if dealt with properly, would be the difference between finishing 25th and finishing maybe 15th.

They won't be dealt with in obvious manner.

I do think though that your last sentence above is what is really worrying. When you're young, you can take a lot. But even young guys eventually start to make out a difference between "trusting and investing in the future" and "hanging us to dry".

If we had two more Tavares and two more Hamonics, that worry may not be so prevalent, but we don't.

My question is: What are the youngins going to think when Parenteau signs elswhere and no-one of a similar ilk is brought in to replace him? What will they think if the defensive ranks are filled in with more of the Eatons and Staios' of the world?

This team was close and now NEEDS upgrading. That upgrading is not coming from within, even if a few kids are ready for the show. Snow can't leave the youngins hanging by watching this team worsen on paper for a second summer running.

But unfortunately, it's legit to feel that will happen. It's legit to think Snow's answer is going to be Ullstrom, Rakhshani, de Haan, Donovan and more of Niederreiter, with maybe Strome being thrown in for a laugh.

That would be the WRONG route to go.
Couldn't agree more.

It will further reinforce that winning is nowhere near the top of the priority list. Great message to send to guys like Okposo, Bailey, Hamonic and above all....Tavares.

Show these players you are committed to helping them out, even if Wang has laid down various constraints. In the end, we still need to hit the cap floor right? Why not trade for some actual talent, rather than aquiring a last minute Brian Rolston?

It just shows me he is content with mediocrity.... throw your draft picks into the fire and pray for miracle. It's no way to run a professional sports franchise.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
  #67
lorwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
This thread is quite funny.

A small reminder.

The GM for the NYI was their back up goaltender the day before he was hired!

He did not spend years as the GM for some minor league franchise.

I doubt he ever scouted a single game before he became the general manager for a NHL team.

A Committed owner?

More like an owner that should be committed!

Rebuild?

Come on let's grasp a little reality.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
  #68
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,862
vCash: 500
I think Snow will get something done......hell, my dog just did. I gotta go pick it up.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:21 PM
  #69
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
This thread is quite funny.

A small reminder.

The GM for the NYI was their back up goaltender the day before he was hired!

He did not spend years as the GM for some minor league franchise.

I doubt he ever scouted a single game before he became the general manager for a NHL team.

A Committed owner?

More like an owner that should be committed!

Rebuild?

Come on let's grasp a little reality.


Sadly you are 100% right.


(and since when can you count on an Isles' fan to "grasp reality?")

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
  #70
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Sadly you are 100% right.


(and since when can you count on an Isles' fan to "grasp reality?")
(after a creative draft pick is made?)

(then it fades when the Rolstons and Mottau's are about to get a chance to prove themselves, and Garth becomes a creative genius again)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
  #71
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Lord knows I've defended Snow (and to a lesser degree Wang) these past few years. I submit that both sides (the yeas and nays as it were) are correct here.

The yeas say that the rebuild is going as planned, that Snow has shrewdly stocked the cupboards with an array of prospects- phrases like "few high end" and "good depth" come to mind immediately, and I can't disagree. It's also said the team is experiencing slow but steady improvement.

The nays all but admit this when they change their tune- and say that little progress might as well be no progress at all under this regime.

And therein lays the answer.

Snow is not spending money of free agents unless they fit a certain mold: young, and either on a long-term contract, or free to sign one. Notice that I didn't mention a salary restriction here- Snow foray into recent free agent markets shows this (as with Ehroff). It could be argued that Snow realizes no one will sign here, regardless of dollar signs (I'm looking at you Paul Martin), and so he is free to appear like a big-time player July 1st.

Snow signs poor players cause he has to fill spots. But staying weak is also a bit of a choice here- why get good enough to just make the playoffs- when if you suffer a little while longer, it should pay off more in the future.

Just how far into the future are we is the question. Well, we're not at the point where we're re-stocking at the draft now. Moving up for players like de Haan and Nelson proves this much. There are modest point gains in the standings, and important games after Christmas now. The team has finally taken a stand on the goaltending issue with Nabokov (and, I might add, not rushing one or both of Poulin and Nilsson in his stead). We can look forward to improvement in JT and Hamonic, as well with the likes of Nino, Bailey, and Okposo.

And there's the argument- the nays certainly have a point when they say the youngsters aren't growing up fast enough. Snow knows this. But I also think he realizes that the Islanders will never get their first (or second or third for that matter) choice during free agency periods...so why move further away from your best (only source) of top talent?

A spot in the draft lottery is a necessary evil. To just make the playoffs

It's franchise suicide, and Snow knows it. It's bad enough with a poor arena and young struggling team

People have to compare the Islanders to a middle of the road team that has decided to rebuild- not a struggling franchise who's former GM left neither prospects nor picks in the draft cupboard. To wit: the Islanders should get a pass here on the average fan-patient meter, and consider the Milbury years as successful ones- since this is a way to frame the situation that explains our poor asset management. Good teams wouldn't be picking very high, and shouldn't have much to show for it.


bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
  #72
A Pointed Stick
Sell? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Lord knows I've defended Snow (and to a lesser degree Wang) these past few years. I submit that both sides (the yeas and nays as it were) are correct here.

The yeas say that the rebuild is going as planned, that Snow has shrewdly stocked the cupboards with an array of prospects- phrases like "few high end" and "good depth" come to mind immediately, and I can't disagree. It's also said the team is experiencing slow but steady improvement.

The nays all but admit this when they change their tune- and say that little progress might as well be no progress at all under this regime.

And therein lays the answer.

Snow is not spending money of free agents unless they fit a certain mold: young, and either on a long-term contract, or free to sign one. Notice that I didn't mention a salary restriction here- Snow foray into recent free agent markets shows this (as with Ehroff). It could be argued that Snow realizes no one will sign here, regardless of dollar signs (I'm looking at you Paul Martin), and so he is free to appear like a big-time player July 1st.

Snow signs poor players cause he has to fill spots. But staying weak is also a bit of a choice here- why get good enough to just make the playoffs- when if you suffer a little while longer, it should pay off more in the future.

Just how far into the future are we is the question. Well, we're not at the point where we're re-stocking at the draft now. Moving up for players like de Haan and Nelson proves this much. There are modest point gains in the standings, and important games after Christmas now. The team has finally taken a stand on the goaltending issue with Nabokov (and, I might add, not rushing one or both of Poulin and Nilsson in his stead). We can look forward to improvement in JT and Hamonic, as well with the likes of Nino, Bailey, and Okposo.

And there's the argument- the nays certainly have a point when they say the youngsters aren't growing up fast enough. Snow knows this. But I also think he realizes that the Islanders will never get their first (or second or third for that matter) choice during free agency periods...so why move further away from your best (only source) of top talent?

A spot in the draft lottery is a necessary evil. To just make the playoffs

It's franchise suicide, and Snow knows it. It's bad enough with a poor arena and young struggling team

People have to compare the Islanders to a middle of the road team that has decided to rebuild- not a struggling franchise who's former GM left neither prospects nor picks in the draft cupboard. To wit: the Islanders should get a pass here on the average fan-patient meter, and consider the Milbury years as successful ones- since this is a way to frame the situation that explains our poor asset management. Good teams wouldn't be picking very high, and shouldn't have much to show for it.

But he threw both Nino & Bailey under the bus, is threatening to do the same with CdH and Strome, and we are at a point now where not trading for some better help on defense (at the very minimum) is hurting the development of guys like Tavares. That is glaringly absent from your formula.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
  #73
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But he threw both Nino & Bailey under the bus, is threatening to do the same with CdH and Strome, and we are at a point now where not trading for some better help on defense (at the very minimum) is hurting the development of guys like Tavares. That is glaringly absent from your formula.
That's the whole plan with Snow- let the close prospects develop on the island rather than pay some middle of the road vet to play in their place. If the team is going to go with building through the draft, it better to be really bad than just bad.

This is temporary, naturally, and is just part of the process. The fan base was warned. The Oilers are doing the same thing- its a necessary evil, I'm afraid, of the small-market sufferers.

What gets me is how people cite the well-known (and cliched) formula of developing prospects extra slowly, regardless of the situation...in the case of the Islanders, there's little chance of damaging prospects long-term since they are exercising patience with them.

This isn't the Milbury Islanders- where we have to worry about our young players being shipped off if they falter. No, these young men are growing together and forming a chemistry that will soon pay off.

Heck, Bailey couldn't have single handedly changed the fortunes of this lot- it runs deeper than one prospect. Had last year been his first season as a pro, does anyone really believe we'd be looking at a 50 point forward?

If he becomes a 50 point forward this year, what's the difference?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:30 AM
  #74
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,862
vCash: 500
Where do I start.......by your logic, if a child skips Kindergarten through eighth grade, he'll be fine. Better to let little Billy start with algebra and so on.

There's no need to worry about the psychology, being overwhelmed, the physical and emotional toll.....

Why, the kid's gonna be an engineer. Five year olds can do well at MIT.


Sorry, but someone not ready being thrown into the toughest league in the world....can you tell me a kid is gonna develop properly? These are kids, HUMAN BEINGS. You develop someone to get them WHERE THEY SHOULD BE to best get them WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO BE.

So, to recap how 29 teams do it, a kid shows he can play. Let him succeed. Try him at a higher level. LET HIM SUCCEED. Bring him to try out at a high level and GIVE HIM SUPPORT TO LET HIM SUCCEED. If he doesn't play a TOP LEVEL NHL GAME, send him down.

But hey, no vets, no help, throw them out there and let them sink or swim seems to be your point. I prefer to start with waders and shallow pools rather than dropping them in the Pacific a mile out.

CdH is not ready. Strome is not ready. Hey, why not wait longer? Maybe we fear KHL contract extensions?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:00 AM
  #75
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
It gets funny around here.
People that complain that this rebuild is taking too long (Because that is what it is, this whole thing about the GM having no experience, that we have too many recent top picks, etc) It is that the fanbase FORGOT that Milbury left us with nothing, Zero. Smith we got Okposo. Every non rookie (other than DP) is not here from 06.

Yet the Colli is empty, most here dont even go (and I am talking about people that live on LI here) so they are part of the problem. THere are so few posters here that have the right to complain that bought season tickets (or a lot of regular season games) last year or the years previous to it. I can think of one (you know who you are Twine)

It is the same people that get really angry that Milbury traded away Chara, McCabe, Luongo, etc....

Some just like to complain.

I would bet that most here probably will be complaining when this team makes it into the playoffs that "it took too long!" When they make it into the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs that "we could have gone further if we made x trade" or "we could have been here sooner if we got rid of DP"(And I am not a DP supporter by any means). It is just complaints. Oh well.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.