HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Official 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup Thread Part II

Old
05-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Skm

vCash: 500
Pretty disappointed the Oil Kings showed up so flat and LB wasn't even close to the same goalie he was in the WHL playoffs.

That being said, congrats to Shawinigan. Played an exciting brand of hockey and the tournament was pretty fun to watch. I was super pleased to see them win it over the Knights and their defence-first system. Seemed like a great host city (besides the air horns, always hated trying to ignore them and listen to the broadcast).

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

It seemed like Namestnikov got hurt, anyone have information on that?

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Burke the Legend

How is going 4-2 (against championship teams, including 3 games in 3 nights, the final 2 being elimination games) anything other than the equivalent of winning a best of 7 playoff series? It could even be called more an accomplishment.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:19 PM
RayLeeCharles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I don't recall all this complaining in past years about the host team getting to play. It's not as though the host team has always been their league champion!

Also...it isn't all that rare for the host team to make it to the finals. Recent host teams who have gotten there w/o winning their league championships include the Majors, Wheat Kings, and Giants. ...but when Shawinigan does the same...and even manages to win...everyone starts whining.
People will always complain when the host backs in and wins. The WHL board that is most used by fans is always up in arms when a teams backs in and does well.

The teams you bring up at least made the Conference or League finals, which might be a reason why people have more of a problem with Shawinigan who only got to round 2. It's only the 4th time a non-league champion has won the Memorial Cup so it does not happen often.

All that said Shawinigan did what they had to do once given the chance so congrats to them.

Last edited by RayLeeCharles: 05-28-2012 at 08:48 PM.
RayLeeCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:22 PM
xMenace

Don't know why Edmonton didn't show up, but my impression of the WHL continues to diminish. The W seems to value systemic play over raw talent. Just feelings; don't get upset.

Can't explain why SJ was so flat in the semis. I've seen a lot of periods where they haven't been able to turn it on over the last three months.

Glad London lost. I'll leave it at that.

I cheered for the Cats in the final. I think these playoff upsets and good showing in the Mem speak highly of the Q's continued growth -- it wasn't a 2 team league. I think we're just about at the end of the era where we go into the Mem expecting to lose.

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMenace View Post
I think we're just about at the end of the era where we go into the Mem expecting to lose.
I think your right, 94, 95 and 97 are great draft years for the Q, some great players are coming up.

And there are Bantam AAA rumors floating about.. I think there's Atom AA rumors too.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:45 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 300
Quote:
Don't know why Edmonton didn't show up, but my impression of the WHL continues to diminish. The W seems to value systemic play over raw talent. Just feelings; don't get upset.

Can't explain why SJ was so flat in the semis. I've seen a lot of periods where they haven't been able to turn it on over the last three months.

I cheered for the Cats in the final. I think these playoff upsets and good showing in the Mem speak highly of the Q's continued growth -- it wasn't a 2 team league. I think we're just about at the end of the era where we go into the Mem expecting to lose.

How many WHL games did you see this year?

How many Oil Kings games?

Edmonton was tired.

They hit a wall.

Nothing more than that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
Quote:

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is online now   Reply With Quote