HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Johansen's role next year

Old
05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You needed to ask? Letestu was the obvious answer. We should look at having a back up plan. More for Brassard than Letestu. Center is where we really could use a stop gap player. Not look for "The solution". They are probably going to be patient for another year with Brassard.

As I stated in the prediction thread, I think Johnansen is going to bounce back and forth a bit with the AHL. I wouldn't go into the FA period with him penciled in with a roster spot and plan accordingly.
Of course I needed to ask. if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked. Or maybe I just wanted to provoke some discussion. Anyway, I agree that a stop gap solution is a good one and I'd much rather see Letestu anchoring the third.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Of course I needed to ask. if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked. Or maybe I just wanted to provoke some discussion. Anyway, I agree that a stop gap solution is a good one and I'd much rather see Letestu anchoring the third.
And Letestu was the obvious answer. I don't think we watch the same players on the ice honestly. In his last 20 game split, he performed more than well enough to play a top six role on this team. He played a very smart and fairly productive 20 minutes a night (or close to it).

That's not to say he can do it for 82 games, but he's earned the chance to compete for one of those two spots. I'm more concerned with Brassard than Letestu.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
And Letestu was the obvious answer. I don't think we watch the same players on the ice honestly. In his last 20 game split, he performed more than well enough to play a top six role on this team. He played a very smart and fairly productive 20 minutes a night (or close to it).

That's not to say he can do it for 82 games, but he's earned the chance to compete for one of those two spots. I'm more concerned with Brassard than Letestu.
IMO, people often think top 6="flashy"

More than one team in this years playoffs had a nice mix of skill, strength and grit in their top 6. I couple of them are playing for the cup right now.

Totally agree on brass vs letestu...brass worries me a great deal. He could be next year's "Mason" gamble by Howson.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
IMO, people often think top 6="flashy"

More than one team in this years playoffs had a nice mix of skill, strength and grit in their top 6. I couple of them are playing for the cup right now.

Totally agree on brass vs letestu...brass worries me a great deal. He could be next year's "Mason" gamble by Howson.
I like Letestu and I think he's our new Vermette (maybe with more offensive upside). He'll compete for top 6 unless we make 2 or 3 talented skater acquisitions in the Nash deal, which I seriously doubt.

I feel better about Brassard now than I did a year ago. I liked his attitude last season, he kept working hard through alot of team turmoil, and I'm excited to see what he brings to the ice this season.

Either of these guys have 2nd line abilities imo (as do Propspal, RJ, Atkinson, and Johansen) its that 1st line ability this team completely lacks sans Nash. If we take to the ice with 2 second lines, and a gritty bottom 6, we better make a huge upgrade in net and hope we can play Hitch hockey without the man himself.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I dunno. After his time with Richards last year, I'm far less concerned about Brass.

I'd love to get a top-6 RW who can also play C over the summer as a sort of all-purpose backup plan. However, finding such a beast that is available has been... interesting.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I dunno. After his time with Richards last year, I'm far less concerned about Brass.

I'd love to get a top-6 RW who can also play C over the summer as a sort of all-purpose backup plan. However, finding such a beast that is available has been... interesting.
Prospal and Umberger can fill that role, if absolutely necessary. I'd prefer it not be.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:22 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Less concerned? Yes. Having said that, Brassard doesn't put the puck on net enough. Not expecting 30 goals out of this guy, but 24 or 25 would be nice and he has the talent for it.

We'll see if he can compete through 82+ games and not pout when things don't go his way. He might have matured last year, but I'm in wait and see mode.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Prospal and Umberger can fill that role, if absolutely necessary. I'd prefer it not be.
I'm aware they can. I still want RWs.

Honestly, it's to the point where I'm seriously considering Sam Gagner (possibly for Methot and a low pick) and not immediately rejecting it as bad juju. I don't dare propose that on the mains, tho, because I'm certain half the counteroffers will be "oh, you want Gagner? Gagner and the 1st overall for the 2nd and Johansen!"

Maybe if I call up folks and try to get myself reinstated as a mod, and then start the thread threatening to threadban anyone who asks about Johan...

Quote:
Less concerned? Yes. Having said that, Brassard doesn't put the puck on net enough. Not expecting 30 goals out of this guy, but 24 or 25 would be nice and he has the talent for it.

We'll see if he can compete through 82+ games and not pout when things don't go his way. He might have matured last year, but I'm in wait and see mode.
Fair enough.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I'm aware they can. I still want RWs.

Honestly, it's to the point where I'm seriously considering Sam Gagner (possibly for Methot and a low pick) and not immediately rejecting it as bad juju. I don't dare propose that on the mains, tho, because I'm certain half the counteroffers will be "oh, you want Gagner? Gagner and the 1st overall for the 2nd and Johansen!"

Maybe if I call up folks and try to get myself reinstated as a mod, and then start the thread threatening to threadban anyone who asks about Johan...

Fair enough.

It might work.

Brassard, Johansen and Atkinsen are works in progress but with some luck they will be solid top six players in a few years.. Calvert may also be in the mix with more experience. That's a young group though, a veteran forward to help mediate the loss of Nash would be welcomed..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Honestly, it's to the point where I'm seriously considering Sam Gagner (possibly for Methot and a low pick) and not immediately rejecting it as bad juju.
As much as I believe he is redundant with Brassard, it might be better than not having another option there at all.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
As much as I believe he is redundant with Brassard, it might be better than not having another option there at all.
As a center, he's redundant. I'd play him on the RW.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Honestly, it's to the point where I'm seriously considering Sam Gagner (possibly for Methot and a low pick) and not immediately rejecting it as bad juju.
Not trying to hijack the Johan thread but if you want RW with future potential and talk to Edmonton and want to move Methot.... Paajarvi! I think he could play anywhere in a top 9 and has upside to potentially be an impact top 6 guy. His value is low which likely means Edmonton wouldn't move him but he's someone I call about and suggest Methot as the return. Picks or a prospect to adjust but he could play with Johansen and possibly be a really good get for Columbus.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:59 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Not trying to hijack the Johan thread but if you want RW with future potential and talk to Edmonton and want to move Methot.... Paajarvi! I think he could play anywhere in a top 9 and has upside to potentially be an impact top 6 guy. His value is low which likely means Edmonton wouldn't move him but he's someone I call about and suggest Methot as the return. Picks or a prospect to adjust but he could play with Johansen and possibly be a really good get for Columbus.
That's more likely to fly than Gagner.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote