Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund Signed to 3-Year Deal

Old
05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
J22

vCash: 500
As someone who is old enough to remember back a few years, I will say this about Sid. He was an even bigger ***hat 20 years ago. Absolutely zero knowledege of any sport other than BouncyBall.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I see that burlap sack Sid Hartman is really high on Granlund:

http://www.startribune.com/video/153.../video/1/sfcsi
I finally got around to watching this, and the first thing that came to mind was a comparison to a Coaches Corner segment on HNIC (complete with the 'why the hell am I here' facial expressions by his straight man/leash handler), which by itself should not be a very flattering comparison to begin with, however Sid does not have either the energy, flashy suit, or knowledge about anything he actually talked about so this comparison might actually be insulting to HNIC instead of to Sid.

Old Fart needs to take a caffeine pill or something and at least sit up straight in his directors chair.

I've seen better commentary from Fox Sports North.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Whoever called Sid Hartman a burlap sack (too lazy to look back) I salute you.
I thought it fit the disgusting thing sitting/slouching in the chair. I might start spamming some Sid articles just for fun. I think the only time I've seen him smile is in his Star Tribune writer picture.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:45 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I thought it fit the disgusting thing sitting/slouching in the chair. I might start spamming some Sid articles just for fun. I think the only time I've seen him smile is in his Star Tribune writer picture.
He had gas.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:21 AM
ijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My assumption is it will be so slanted toward Finnish readers that we wouldn't care. Kind of like how every local paper has that ridiculous "local connection" / Six Degrees of Minnesotan angle.

Ofcourse he will mostly write about Finns since that is the main reason for moving to Minnesota, but he is actually a good writer and very fluent in English, so he does also interviews with North American players. Savolainen also writes very well without bias or tabloid motives.

His latest article actually was on Mike Rupp and how he is useless in the playoffs for NY Rangers (-2 in the last game, and the hitting Brodeur incident before that)... You can agree or disagree with that notion, but the important thing is that he also writes about players that are not Finnish (which is the exception, not the rule in Finland.) And as you might guess already, Mike Rupp doesn't sell papers since he is not a star player, so it is nice to read about stuff that is concerned about hockey, not selling papers/getting max amount of views.

ijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

It's sad just how stupid and clueless some people are on the TSN comments section. I've learned not to argue or even post on sites like that anymore (I never posted much in the first place). Ever since I argued with the Oilers fan on NHL.com who "knows prospects", I just realize there's no point to it.

Old
05-26-2012, 06:44 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantaa FI75 View Post
Now there's only one deal to make! NHL and NHLPA.

Please no lockout. Please, please, please, no no no. Go away bad lockout. Naughty naughty lockout. There's no room for you lockout. I don't wanna see FBJMiG#64 in Finland anymore, I don't wanna see him in WC anymore. I put a spell on yoooouuuu, you ******** lockout!

..ok maybe Weber and Suter and Parise and Semin deals too
How it looks about the lockout? That would be horrible..

Im with granlund bandwagon, gonna watch lots of wilds games next season.. Like the Koivu didint make me watch them earlier too!

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Teemu Selšnne wrote a few tips to Mikael Granlund and Sami Vatanen in his Finnish blog, English translation here:

http://www.battleofcali.com/2012/5/2...welcome-to-nhl

I would say the source is a real expert in this case, he is probably the only player who was as hyped as Granlund before moving overseas.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:08 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Especially at 20 years old after three years of pro hockey. Come on.

Also, ugh, 64 is a terrible number. Just go with 8 or 11.
? Seriously? Terrible number? How the ******* can a number be terrible? Guy has playd with #64 as long as i can remember. No reason to change it.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:57 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Just saw that Sid Hartman guy or whoever the **** he is. The guy seems like a casual fan

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Just saw that Sid Hartman guy or whoever the **** he is. The guy seems like a casual fan
Yeah we all gave our opinions on him a few pages back in this thread if you'd like to look.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:16 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

I work with ~40 Alzheimer's and dementia patients. Only 3 or 4 of them are older than Sid.

The really scary thing is that last I heard, he's still driving.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:55 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
He's not even that. He's not a fan, plain and simple. The few times that he's at the Xcel each year is just to be "seen" talking with VIP's. Since he's probably forced to discuss the team, he only cares to cry about how few MN boys are on the roster. And then he makes sch***y comparisons between the Wild and his precious puppies as a sad attempt at making his blue, green, and white candle burn brighter.

It'll be a great day in this town when his mouth gets duct taped shut. We can get better insights from a horse's arse.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:50 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post
I work with ~40 Alzheimer's and dementia patients. Only 3 or 4 of them are older than Sid.

The really scary thing is that last I heard, he's still driving.
Yep...in fact, about 2 years ago I was driving northbound near the Hwy 100/394 interchange and Sid darned near drove me off the road. Not only is he a menace in print, but he is one behind the wheel as well!!!

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Yep...in fact, about 2 years ago I was driving northbound near the Hwy 100/394 interchange and Sid darned near drove me off the road. Not only is he a menace in print, but he is one behind the wheel as well!!!
How the hell does someone that old still have a license?

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Hagged

I'm starting to think that even though Granlund is not known as a goal scorer, he is going to have over 20 goal season next year. Playing next to Koivu, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 30. 30+50, what a story would it make!

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't see 30 goals in his future but 50 assists someday, sure.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
I'm starting to think that even though Granlund is not known as a goal scorer, he is going to have over 20 goal season next year. Playing next to Koivu, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 30. 30+50, what a story would it make!
He certainly has the hands and shot to do better than Miettinen, who managed 20 goals once with Koivu.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Granlund has a great wrist shot, he just doesn't want to use it. Last season, at one point he decided that he could try shooting once in a while, too. He ended up scoring 13 goals in 15 games. Before that 15 game streak he had scored 6 goals in 20 games, and after it he only scored 1 goal in 10 games, but that was when he was slumping anyway.

I think he does have the skillset to potentially score 25, or even 30 goals in a season (not talking about next season only) if all the stars align correctly and some of his fluttering saucer passes accidentally hit the net. His extreme pass first mentality is the biggest issue, but he has shown that when his teammates are unable to get the job done, he might start taking more chances himself.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Granlund has a great wrist shot, he just doesn't want to use it. Last season, at one point he decided that he could try shooting once in a while, too. He ended up scoring 13 goals in 15 games. Before that 15 game streak he had scored 6 goals in 20 games, and after it he only scored 1 goal in 10 games, but that was when he was slumping anyway.

I think he does have the skillset to potentially score 25, or even 30 goals in a season (not talking about next season only) if all the stars align correctly and some of his fluttering saucer passes accidentally hit the net. His extreme pass first mentality is the biggest issue, but he has shown that when his teammates are unable to get the job done, he might start taking more chances himself.
I remember some competition where he hit all the targets in a net and the competition were doing about 50% - someone posted the video here. Ring a bell?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I remember some competition where he hit all the targets in a net and the competition were doing about 50% - someone posted the video here. Ring a bell?
Yeah. http://www.iltalehti.fi/nettitv/?32355738

It was a playful competition for the right to choose which team would take which locker room in the SM-liiga's Winter Classic.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I remember that video.

If he ever finds some confidence in his shot, I think 30 goals is very possible for him. I'm not saying it'll happen soon, but in his prime I think he can do it. His wrist shot improved a lot from last year, it wouldn't be too surprising.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

So Granlund is a playmaker with a good shot that he doesn't use? I gotta say that sounds damn close to how I'd describe Bouchard.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:01 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

^Except Granlund relishes his ability to stickhandle in a phone booth and beat others one on one... something Bouchard is afraid of.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
^Except Granlund relishes his ability to stickhandle in a phone booth and beat others one on one... something Bouchard is afraid of.
Its a breathe of fresh air to find someone that finds it annoying when he enters the zone with speed and then curls off at the top of the circle towards the boards just to buy more time instead of making a play. It never fails either.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote