HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to make skates tight around ankle

Old
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Just wrap the clear stretchy sock tape around your ankles after tying them up tight!
This works the best IMO, except that I use regular black tape.

Each stride seems so much more responsive when you have you ankles taped to your skates. I love it.

I believe Bobby Orr and Sergei Federov used to do this.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I used tape. I had a club foot that resulted in a piss poor ankle, so I had to tape that up.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:37 AM
PaperworkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Here's what I do, I'll try and explain it without pictures. But when you get to the second to last eyelet, instead of crossing over, go to the top on the same side and put the laces through from the outside to make a loop, THEN cross them over and tie them through those loops. I've used this for years and it keeps my skates the way I like them. Snug but not constricting.
I decided to try this on Saturday and last night at practice. It makes a big difference in keeping the skates firmly on my feet. Thanks for the advice!

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:40 AM
steev182

So with this method, does the 2nd from top lace hole get completely missed out?

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
PaperworkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
So with this method, does the 2nd from top lace hole get completely missed out?
Nope.

You thread that second-to-last eyelet like normal, then you thread your lace through the eyelet right above it instead of crossing over and make two little "ears." Then you cross the laces over and through the "ears" you made and tie the laces as normal.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
TrueBlue86

using waxed laces will make your skates as tight as you need them to be (depending on how much you pull on the laces to tighten them)

if i tighten as hard as i can my foot hurts, and i'm wearing decently big skates for my foot size

anyway, why would you want them tight around the ankle anyway? isn't it more important to have them tight below the ankle to keep the heel in place.

i've started leaving my top skate eyelet empty. i find it gives me better ankle flexibility, especially for cross overs. i can roll the ankle way better with the inner foot, giving me more speed and power.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
FlyingEagle

Tried the floating knot thing and it works good for me but I just have to avoid tightening it too much because I underestimated it one time and it choked my leg so much that rest of my practice was more like funny walking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
using waxed laces will make your skates as tight as you need them to be (depending on how much you pull on the laces to tighten them)

if i tighten as hard as i can my foot hurts, and i'm wearing decently big skates for my foot size

anyway, why would you want them tight around the ankle anyway? isn't it more important to have them tight below the ankle to keep the heel in place.

i've started leaving my top skate eyelet empty. i find it gives me better ankle flexibility, especially for cross overs. i can roll the ankle way better with the inner foot, giving me more speed and power.
I created this thread because I could not control the skates properly and I thought it was the problem with ankle tightening. I will try even your tip thanks for it I must say the tips you guys wrote was very helpfull and I can now control my skates much better. Sorry that I didn't replied much I haven't got much time.

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:53 PM
clayman

I used the tip when it was first suggested and it made a huge difference in my skates! Thanks!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Triple Deke

Had a chance to try the "floating knot" technique last night subbing for my friends' team.
The lacing seemed to stay tight and stable throughout the game and felt secure.
However, I did turn my ankle pretty bad (sprained). I don't attribute this to the lacing, but to the awkward collision I had with the opponent.

Once I heal up, I'll be using this lacing style. Thanks for the tip guys!

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
Had a chance to try the "floating knot" technique last night subbing for my friends' team.
The lacing seemed to stay tight and stable throughout the game and felt secure.
However, I did turn my ankle pretty bad (sprained). I don't attribute this to the lacing, but to the awkward collision I had with the opponent.

Once I heal up, I'll be using this lacing style. Thanks for the tip guys!
Remember the R.I.C.E. rule and good luck on your healing!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
steev182

Well I've been breaking in my new skates and only ever tying regular laces with the floating knot method.

There's so much more control in my feet, it's like the blade responds to every little movement I make in my foot and my ankles don't drop my feet to the inside edges. Thoes are probably down to the skates rather than the lacing, but the lacing feels tighter and stays tight without feeling uncomfortable, whereas tying regularly it'd be uncomfortable tight for 5 minutes, and then need retying.

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I saw a video of an NHL player doing this but I can't remember who it was. it sure was impressive.
I think guys like Pavel Bure used to skate with the laces undone. Builds really good ankle strength if they don't break off first!

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I saw a video of an NHL player doing this but I can't remember who it was. it sure was impressive.
I've done it at a public skate before just for laughs (well, the were laced, but the laces were completely loose- I just took them out and popped 'em on) If your skate fits right, it shouldn't be an issue.

Ray Scappinello, the linesman who retired a few years ago, never tied his skates. The NHL made him put laces in his skates a few years after he started, because he was freaking everybody out, but he just left them completely loose.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
johnjm22

These pics are from the LA Kings prospect camp.

A lot of the players have some sort of gray/clear wrap around there heel of their skates. Does anybody know what it is?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
stocky

Looks like skate fenders to me

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/skatefen...FcsZQgodxS8eUg

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Watch for the Yeti

The floating knot is brilliant! I have dealt with a bending skate my whole life, and I just found the solution! I just tried it and my skate wraps around my ankle perfectly!

Thanks a ton! I am so happy!

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote