HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Talk - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Don't forget that goalies are a lot harder to trade and when you have a young goalie like Rask who is ready and needs for playing time in order to develop you really aren't as choosey about your dance partner. Thomas is how old?... I think he's turning 90yrs old this summer and he makes $5M+ on a cap team... The B's will ship him to anyone regardless of division. They aren't going to raise the rent or play hardball if they do decide to deal TT. As soon as they can find a home he will be gone.
Easier to deal him to the Bolts or heck forbid - the Hawks.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne View Post
I can't believe how many of you guys think you'd get Gardiner and the 5th overall pick for Luongo, that would never happen. You would never get either, let alone both in a deal for Luongo. Only way Luongo comes to Toronto is if Komisarek heads the other way, and he is the biggest piece moved. If Luongo isn't all but free, Toronto doesn't trade for him.

Gardiner and our 5th
If Komisarek is coming back Gillis is hanging up the phone. I agree we won't be getting both Gardiner and the 5th, maybe even neither of those...but we aren't giving him away. We aren't in the charity business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I don't see the Bruins trading Thomas within their own division (at least not without a premium return).

Harding'sn ever been a NHL starter (for a complete season anyway) Logically, given the disaster last season; one wouldn't think Burke would go into another season with reason question marks in net (course, who know with Burkie).

lol - I wouldn't trade Ballard for Komi straight-up.
I'm not saying those are better options, but they are options that will drive down Luongo's price. If I'm Burke I'd take Vokoun (and possibly Harding) and keep my 5th and/or Gardiner over trading away those assets for Luongo. Luongo is a great goalie but you don't sell the farm for him at his age and with his contract.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
Unfortunately when dealing with an athlete that is this high profile, there is going to be enormous feelings about trading the guy in the first place.

Thus those who dont want him traded will kibosh any effort . Water down any trade proposal, and balk at any suggestions. They will spin it towards trading Schneider.

I dont want to trade Schneider because :

1) We drafted and developed him since he was 18. We have never ever had a goalie in our history like that (Glenn Hanlon aside)

2) Hes 7 years younger than Luongo

3) in my opinion hes now better than Lui is and the divide is going to get worse as they both age. I believe Schneider has mental toughness that Lui has lacked his whole career.

But lets be clear. Luongo is the best thing thats happened to this city since Kirk Mc Lean was traded . Hes won a whole pile and been consistent. Hes earned my respect and I will always be a Luongo fan.

But we need to trade him and hang onto Schneider. Its a good and bad situation for the franchise to be in.
I am a huge Luongo fan, and I'm a Schneider fan ever since his days in University when he and I used to chat every now and then (mainly about our finance courses, almost never about hockey). I like both goalies, but understand one needs to go. I would trade the one who brings back the best return, whomever that may be.

Schneder appears to be the better option, but he hasn't been scouted nearly as much as Luongo. Add to that a logically expected regression of his SHSVP and the gap isn't as big as people claim (in fact I would then give a slight advantage to Luongo).

05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Luongo is a great goalie but you don't sell the farm for him at his age and with his contract.
Never said that either but I think a guy like Thomas is easily going to command more than what it'll take to get Luongo (especially since more teams will be involved like the Bolts).

Old
05-31-2012, 03:52 PM
wynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I take it the Leaf fans enjoy having extra time to prepare for the Argos season after the Leafs are done? Or is it that tickets are already too high in Toronto that no one wants playoff hockey because everyone would be broke?

Either way, I understand, enjoy Reimer again
That's cute, but you have still yet to win anything. I'd love to see some other goalie get a concussion and see how they come back.

Reimer was lights out last season, and to begin this past season, we know what he can do, we'll gladly enjoy him.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
wynne

Quote:
I don't see the Bruins trading Thomas within their own division (at least not without a premium return).

Harding's never been a NHL starter (for a complete season anyway) Logically, given the disaster last season; one wouldn't think Burke would go into another season with reason question marks in net (course, who know with Burkie).

lol - I wouldn't trade Ballard for Komi straight-up.
That's cool, I don't think anyone would. Ballard wouldn't get in the lineup either.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That's cool, I don't think anyone would. Ballard wouldn't get in the lineup either.
You fail to understand one player has a "NTC" while the other has an anchor ("NMC").

Komi's contract is poison. At least Finger was able to be shoved in the minors.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
I just thought of something.
The Canucks might want to get Gardiner from the Leafs to lure Justin Schultz to our team, since he's good friends with Gardiner.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Never said that either but I think a guy like Thomas is easily going to command more than what it'll take to get Luongo (especially since more teams will be involved like the Bolts).
I'm not so sure...Thomas is quite a bit older than Luongo, he's only got 1-2 years left. He's a pretty limited stopgap for a team with no goaltending depth. With Rask looking to take over Thomas' job it's not very good for Boston to have a $5m backup. Luongo is a better option but I'm sure teams looking for a goalie will test the waters and use all the options available to lower the price they pay.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
You fail to understand one player has a "NTC" while the other has an anchor ("NMC").

Komi has 2 years left. His actual salary drops down to $3.5 for each for each of those two years. Might not make sense for a team like the Canucks, but to a team with an internal cap his contract looks decent

Old
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
If Komisarek is coming back Gillis is hanging up the phone. I agree we won't be getting both Gardiner and the 5th, maybe even neither of those...but we aren't giving him away. We aren't in the charity business.

I'm not saying those are better options, but they are options that will drive down Luongo's price. If I'm Burke I'd take Vokoun (and possibly Harding) and keep my 5th and/or Gardiner over trading away those assets for Luongo. Luongo is a great goalie but you don't sell the farm for him at his age and with his contract.
The team that makes Harding their #1 will be regretting that decision before the year is out. Book it.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I just thought of something.
The Canucks might want to get Gardiner from the Leafs to lure Justin Schultz to our team, since he's good friends with Gardiner.
What if we did Luongo for 5th overall and Schenn, and promise not to sign Schultz. Then he's practically guaranteed to go to T.O., and it's as if we throw him in the package.

Old
wynne

Quote:

Even if Komisarek had no clause, I'd be willing to put money down saying Burke wouldn't send him to the AHL. We have zero use for Ballard, Komisarek is useless, but I'd take him over Ballard at this point.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Canucker

Quote:
That's cute, but you have still yet to win anything. I'd love to see some other goalie get a concussion and see how they come back.

Reimer was lights out last season, and to begin this past season, we know what he can do, we'll gladly enjoy him.
Every light except the red light behind him.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
wynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What if we did Luongo for 5th overall and Schenn, and promise not to sign Schultz. Then he's practically guaranteed to go to T.O., and it's as if we throw him in the package.
You aren't getting the 5th overall + for Luongo..

Old
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
KISSland

Quote:
I'm not so sure...Thomas is quite a bit older than Luongo, he's only got 1-2 years left. He's a pretty limited stopgap for a team with no goaltending depth. With Rask looking to take over Thomas' job it's not very good for Boston to have a $5m backup. Luongo is a better option but I'm sure teams looking for a goalie will test the waters and use all the options available to lower the price they pay.
I can see a team like the Florida Panthers be interested. With there team having a good goalie in the farm.

Not sure if he has an NTC though cause if he does I think that gives Thomas the same value as Lu.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Komi has 2 years left. His actual salary drops down to $3.5 for each for each of those two years. Might not make sense for a team like the Canucks, but to a team with an internal cap his contract looks decent
Basically he *might* have value for a few cash strapped teams; but has zero reason to be involved in a trade with a team spending to the cap limit (as he automatically lowers the value of any Leafs trade proposal by a fair bit).

Quote:
Even if Komisarek had no clause, I'd be willing to put money down saying Burke wouldn't send him to the AHL. We have zero use for Ballard, Komisarek is useless, but I'd take him over Ballard at this point.
Assuming both players are useless - what's the point of keeping a $4 million guy on the roster? Why wouldn't Burke send him to the AHL if he could - he never gave him that awful deal.

Leafs have a ton of cash (kind of limitless). Why not take advantage of the rules if you can?

Would the Rangers have gone as far in the playoffs with Redden still on the parent club roster?

Old
05-31-2012, 04:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

So go enjoy him on your own board, where Reimer is the next Jonny Bower and Schenn is the next Bjorge Salming....

Old
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
wynne

Quote:
Basically he *might* have value for a few cash strapped teams; but has zero reason to be involved in a trade with a team spending to the cap limit (as he automatically lowers the value of any Leafs trade proposal by a fair bit).
No team takes a bad contract without handing one back.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
HockeyRX

what would leafs fans give for schneider? i would take schneider and target nash or connolly/hedman or gardiner/5th. not saying straightup, would obviously add to make up differences.

i honestly don't mind signing schneidz for 3-4 mill, multi year, and keeping luongo. especially if the cap goes up a few million. then split the games down the middle between the goalies, this will add stock to schneider and we can trade him or wait till a team is desperate for goaltending and trade lu.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
You aren't getting the 5th overall + for Luongo..
You state this like its fact....

truth is nobody on this forum has a clue, and we won't until a deal is made.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
opendoor

Quote:

Ballard doesn't even have a NTC. He was traded before it took effect and the Canucks didn't honor it when they acquired him.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
HockeyRX

Quote:
well why would canucks dump 5.3 mill for 4 mill (komi)? only a 1.3 mill difference and your player is completely useless. luongo, even in 30-40 game role has more worth than that. if you had to sign a backup goalie would you get one of luongo's caliber for 1.3 mill? of course not.

Last edited by HockeyRX: 05-31-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
What did the Rangers take back when they acquired Gomez?

BTW - Schenn is a cap dump, overpaid 6th defensman.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
wynne

Quote:

Assuming both players are useless - what's the point of keeping a $4 million guy on the roster? Why wouldn't Burke send him to the AHL if he could - he never gave him that awful deal.

Leafs have a ton of cash (kind of limitless). Why not take advantage of the rules if you can?

Would the Rangers have gone as far in the playoffs with Redden still on the parent club roster?
Burke came to Toronto in '08, Komisarek signed in July '09. Who gave him the contract then?

Burke has way to much 'respect', and the way he puts it is the GM gives out the contract, so if the player isn't worth the contract, it's the GM's fault for giving him the contract, not the player's fault. He wouldn't waive Komisarek if he could.

Closed Thread